Thailand Ranks 78th In World Corruption Index

webfact

In addition to the above, it is a PERCEPTION index.

It's how bad people PERCEIVE corruption to be.

I would expect that a certain former PM brought corruption into the lime light, so now everyone is aware of what's happening.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"BANGKOK, 7 June 2011 (NNT) – Thailand ranks 78th among 178 countries worldwide listed in the 2010 corruption perception index released by the Transparency International."

So this must mean that there were 77 countries worse on corruption than Thailand!,..... now THAT is truly amazing. LOS surely should win a spot in the top 10.

I think a review of the facts is in order here!

the wife just raked in 10K baht in her local elections. Every candidate was handing out 1K baht to secure a vote

On hearing of this good news I sent my wife out to "Grab a Grand". Impressed? Oh yes, all of the usual suspects coughed up and using her normal determination and kick boxing skills, Mr Buffallo, Mr Monkey, Mr Lizard et al from the yellow team all threw cash into her apron pockets!

What a woman, she's voting for the "We're having a party in the shop" party

"BANGKOK, 7 June 2011 (NNT) – Thailand ranks 78th among 178 countries worldwide listed in the 2010 corruption perception index released by the Transparency International."

So this must mean that there were 77 countries worse on corruption than Thailand!,..... now THAT is truly amazing. LOS surely should win a spot in the top 10.

Actually, it's the other way around. 100 countries are worse on corruption than Thailand.

As mentioned, this is a perception index, which would suggest that corruption is viewed as bad/wrong by those who contributed input for the referenced Index.

To carry this a bit further. Internal surveys made here in Thailand seem to indicate that a majority of Thai's in the age group, that are affected by corruption, can/do accept corruption as "thats the way it is". I would imagine some part of this group had input into information used to determine this Index. Granted this same scenario could play a part in many countries ranking but not sure that many populations around the world display nor publicly accept corruption as seen by the Thai respondents.

I understand there are 35 groups/parties in the upcoming election. Does anyone live where all 35 have people contesting for a place at the trough? Those are the potential voters who should make out the best. Maybe someone can beat the figures noted so far and we could get current prices being paid out and have a grandprize winner at the post election wake/celebration.

Corruption is good...where else can you pay off a cop right on the spot for violating a traffice law. U gotta love that.

It's paying off a cop when you have done nothing that makes it extortion and by the way, you will find that cops in a lot of places are happy to take your money.

Actually it reflects a lack of worldly knowledge or experiences.

There are many, many, many countries worse than Thailand.... at least 100 by TI's standards.

Only 78th? Thailand really will have to try harder if they want to reach the top spot.

Actually, it's the other way around. 100 countries are worse on corruption than Thailand.

Only 78th? Thailand really will have to try harder if they want to reach the top spot.

Well I am not sure of the time /date but the bank could not account for 10BILLION Baht and now the police are probing is this another 10billion Baht.

The place should be at least No1 on the list, I mean yes a few million I can understand would be hard to find, but 10Billion. give me a break.

And this is while who was in power and who is still the caretaker Gov.:D

Edited by OZEMADE

Transparency International warns that people in glass houses...................................

When comparing the Thaksin and Abhisit governments on the basis of corruption, it is helpful to use wave form terminology. You may perceive, rightly or wrongly, that the frequency is currently higher, but there is no arguing that Thaksin and his cronies took amplitude to world record levels.

The mis-perception of frequency is caused by the Doppler effect. Things that occurred are distant in time and getting further away every day, and this causes a perceived drop in frequency. You may remember your grandfather saying "back when i was a boy............."

Well I am not sure of the time /date but the bank could not account for 10BILLION Baht and now the police are probing is this another 10billion Baht.

The place should be at least No1 on the list, I mean yes a few million I can understand would be hard to find, but 10Billion. give me a break.

It's the same 10 billion baht, and the bank is denying it's an issue.

Bank of Thailand Governor Prasarn Traiatvorakul said on Tuesday he had no reports about any suspicious cash withdrawals.

Basically, it's cash that has been withdrawn all over the country and is still in circulation.

What's so weird about that?

It's the same 10 billion baht, and the bank is denying it's an issue.

http://www.thaivisa....ng-fear-suthep/

Bank of Thailand Governor Prasarn Traiatvorakul said on Tuesday he had no reports about any suspicious cash withdrawals.

Basically, it's cash that has been withdrawn all over the country and is still in circulation.

What's so weird about that?

You are having me on of course. I think he originally said he could not account for the money and had no way of tracing it. I also think he said it may have been used to launder money, buy votes or it was drug money or something like that.

That is what is weird about that and if it's cash that has been withdawn all over the country he should be able to account for 10 BILLION. Otherwise why are the Police investigating the matter?

the wife just raked in 10K baht in her local elections. Every candidate was handing out 1K baht to secure a vote

On hearing of this good news I sent my wife out to "Grab a Grand". Impressed? Oh yes, all of the usual suspects coughed up and using her normal determination and kick boxing skills, Mr Buffallo, Mr Monkey, Mr Lizard et al from the yellow team all threw cash into her apron pockets!

It's actually worse than all that.

On a personal note; one of my nannys raked in over 13K baht. I haven't seen or heard from her for 3 days now. She has been doing well at hearts or spades or whatever the country folk lose all their money on when they drink whiskey and fornicate, and such.

Two of the candidates familys are financially devastated. They gave away all the money that the bank gave them when they put up the rai as collateral.

One of the dudes daughters used to be my nanny. I offered her a job again. Daddy refused. Daddy is sending her to pattaya to do her part for the family. She just turned 18 last month and was so happy to land the job at 7/11.

The job these guys were trying to win paid 19K baht per month and put them in control of the amphur treasury. Well worth the risk for lots of folks.

Corruption is good...where else can you pay off a cop right on the spot for violating a traffice law. U gotta love that.

Germany. But that is not the issue. The problem is that the Thai police demand your pay when you have not broken any law.

Often it is paying off the cop for a traffic law you didn't violate

Spot on trent. Stanley maybe you can explain to my mother in law that the corruption that enabled the drunk driver who killed her son to get off is a good thing. By the way he hung onto life for a week in hospital despite horrific injuries.

It's a relative index. You'd have to be on drugs to think that the current government is more corrupt than Thaksin's regime. Let's not forget which former leader:

* Has a criminal conviction for corruption :-)

* Had to pay billions of baht damages for multiple and massive abuse of office.

* Had his lawyer caught red handed (by a judge!) bribing court officials with a snack box of money.

* Had his party dissolved (twice!) for electoral fraud.

* Is currently a fugitive with an unserved sentence.

Yep, it's an impressive record all right.

That merely proves he got caught!

It's a relative index. You'd have to be on drugs to think that the current government is more corrupt than Thaksin's regime. Let's not forget which former leader:

* Has a criminal conviction for corruption :-)

* Had to pay billions of baht damages for multiple and massive abuse of office.

* Had his lawyer caught red handed (by a judge!) bribing court officials with a snack box of money.

* Had his party dissolved (twice!) for electoral fraud.

* Is currently a fugitive with an unserved sentence.

Yep, it's an impressive record all right.

That merely proves he got caught!

He who dies with the most toys wins :D

You are having me on of course. I think he originally said he could not account for the money and had no way of tracing it. I also think he said it may have been used to launder money, buy votes or it was drug money or something like that.

That is what is weird about that and if it's cash that has been withdawn all over the country he should be able to account for 10 BILLION. Otherwise why are the Police investigating the matter?

From what I understand, it's not as if the money was stolen or taken out in a couple/ few large amounts.

It's just unusual for that amount of money (or actually, that much more money) to be in circulation.

Often it is paying off the cop for a traffic law you didn't violate

Spot on trent. Stanley maybe you can explain to my mother in law that the corruption that enabled the drunk driver who killed her son to get off is a good thing. By the way he hung onto life for a week in hospital despite horrific injuries.

A highly visible reason why corruption is bad. Sorry for your loss.

It's actually worse than all that.

On a personal note; one of my nannys raked in over 13K baht. I haven't seen or heard from her for 3 days now. She has been doing well at hearts or spades or whatever the country folk lose all their money on when they drink whiskey and fornicate, and such.

Two of the candidates familys are financially devastated. They gave away all the money that the bank gave them when they put up the rai as collateral.

One of the dudes daughters used to be my nanny. I offered her a job again. Daddy refused. Daddy is sending her to pattaya to do her part for the family. She just turned 18 last month and was so happy to land the job at 7/11.

The job these guys were trying to win paid 19K baht per month and put them in control of the amphur treasury. Well worth the risk for lots of folks.

Yep,19000 a month officially and another 19000 A DAY under the table.

Thailand was 59 in 2005 (when Thaksin was in power)

and not suprisingly drops by almost 20 points under Abhisit administration by 2010.

Always fun with statistics.

From the website http://www.transparency.org

year   position        CPI    Surveys       CPI
  (range if shared)  score  (number of)   range
2001     61/62        3.2       12         0.6-4.0
2002     64/65        3.2       11         1.5-4.1
2003     70/75        3.3       13         1.4-4.4
2004     64/66        3.6       14         3.3-3.9
2005     59/61        3.8       13         3.5-4.1
2006     63/65        3.5       9          3.2-3.9
2007     84/93        3.3       9          2.9-3.7
2008     80/84        3.5       9          3.0-3.9
2009     84/88        3.4       9          3.0-3.8
2010     78/84        3.5       14         3.2-3.9

And about methodology

"Given its methodology, the CPI is not a tool that is suitable for trend analysis or for monitoring changes in the perceived levels of corruption over time for all countries.

Year-to-year changes in a country/territory’s score can result from a change in the perceptions of a country’s performance, a change in the ranking provided by original sources or changes in the methodology resulting from TI’s efforts to improve the index."

Yeah - this poll is accurate...

The better countries are at hiding their corruption.. the MORE corrupt they are.

Nothing Thailand has done has been felt around the world.

The United States and their bankers on the other hand....

Yes the USA and their bankers... but expand that prospective and think about who actually has much of the controlling interest of those banks like Goldman, Well Fargo, JP Morgan and think Rothchild and Barclay families. It's a global banking cartel responsible for this unprecedented corruption scam affecting the whole world. If the general public ever becomes aware of what has happened it will make the corruption in Thailand look like kindergarten.

Spot on Miami Bob - google Confessions of an Economic Hitman to lift the veil.

The biggest problem with corruption in Thailand is that everybody acknowledges it and almost everyone is against it (even those who feed the beast by making bribes a routine part of their business), but nobody is doing anything about it. It's easy to see why.

Broadly speaking their are two political groups in Thailand, the Yellowshirt/Traditionalists and the Redshirt/Populists. There has probably been some low key lip service paid to fighting corruption from both sides, but to my knowledge neither is promising a serious fight. I can understand why, when corruption is entrenched it's a monster; you might have the people behind you in a fight against the monster, but you'd have the entire governmental infrastructure against you. A credible promise to fight corruption would be a serious threat to entrenched interests in the governmental bureaucracy, political fiefdoms, and police and military establishments. Is it any wonder why no one will take on this fight?

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that other countries have managed to fight corruption and bring it down to manageable levels (like fighting weeds in a garden, dust in a house and rust on a machine, the fight against corruption is never completely finished). I hope Thailand can do the same, I sincerely believe that the Thai people, with their work ethic and focus on skills and education, can reach first world status in a generation or less if they can get corruption under control.

. You are obviously proud of your wife's outstanding citizenship.

I don't believe it... Thai politicians don't EVER just hand out 1k notes to anyone.

Think about it for a minute.