Thailand Ranks 78th In World Corruption Index

webfact

the wife just raked in 10K baht in her local elections. Every candidate was handing out 1K baht to secure a vote

I don't believe it... Thai politicians don't EVER just hand out 1k notes to anyone.

Think about it for a minute.

These were candidates. The incumbant was not seeking re-election.

The wife says that the payoff is standard. I've been here 5 years now. Never heard of it until this year.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand was 59 in 2005 (when Thaksin was in power)

and not suprisingly drops by almost 20 points under Abhisit administration by 2010.

Always fun with statistics.

From the website http://www.transparency.org

year   position        CPI    Surveys       CPI
  (range if shared)  score  (number of)   range
2001     61/62        3.2       12         0.6-4.0
2002     64/65        3.2       11         1.5-4.1
2003     70/75        3.3       13         1.4-4.4
2004     64/66        3.6       14         3.3-3.9
2005     59/61        3.8       13         3.5-4.1
2006     63/65        3.5       9          3.2-3.9
2007     84/93        3.3       9          2.9-3.7
2008     80/84        3.5       9          3.0-3.9
2009     84/88        3.4       9          3.0-3.8
2010     78/84        3.5       14         3.2-3.9

And about methodology

"Given its methodology, the CPI is not a tool that is suitable for trend analysis or for monitoring changes in the perceived levels of corruption over time for all countries.

Year-to-year changes in a country/territory's score can result from a change in the perceptions of a country's performance, a change in the ranking provided by original sources or changes in the methodology resulting from TI's efforts to improve the index."

easier to look at it like school grades

Thailand is ALWAYS around 30% a D

America is 80%

Canada 90%

Singapore 98%

Anything below 95% is disgusting IMHO, 30% is KNACKERS!

Thailand was 59 in 2005 (when Thaksin was in power)

and not suprisingly drops by almost 20 points under Abhisit administration by 2010.

So we know which government is more corrupt....

Well, I suppose its no big secret that the Abhisit goverment is one of the most corrupt goverments we have had for quite a while.

yep, that'll be since the last one then.

As I said before - this is voted on by some people in the coubntry based on how they perceive it - so its completely meanigless - Thaksin controlled the media with a iron thumb (and golden chequebook), ask any brainwashed person how they feel about their country where they are soon to be the hub of...erm...everything, first world by the end of the year, free loans and 30 baht medical (ignoring the fact that poor people lost their land and homes and 30 baht medical bankrupted clinic across the country when they never saw the Government making up the difference - that wasn't in the usual goonie rags). This is poll was as meaningless then as it is now!

the wife just raked in 10K baht in her local elections. Every candidate was handing out 1K baht to secure a vote

. You are obviously proud of your wife's outstanding citizenship.

Or proud that she takes advantage of their greed and gullability - nad votes the way she wishes at the end - I say good on her, if everyone did the same it would soon stop wouldn't it.

. You are obviously proud of your wife's outstanding citizenship.

Or proud that she takes advantage of their greed and gullability - nad votes the way she wishes at the end - I say good on her, if everyone did the same it would soon stop wouldn't it.

No, because who ever won would believe paying helped and who ever lost would think they need to pay more next time!

As mentioned, this is a perception index, which would suggest that corruption is viewed as bad/wrong by those who contributed input for the referenced Index.

To carry this a bit further. Internal surveys made here in Thailand seem to indicate that a majority of Thai's in the age group, that are affected by corruption, can/do accept corruption as "thats the way it is". I would imagine some part of this group had input into information used to determine this Index. Granted this same scenario could play a part in many countries ranking but not sure that many populations around the world display nor publicly accept corruption as seen by the Thai respondents.

Thailand and the Thai people can not/could not function without corruption. Sadly it also corrupts the "Spirit."