Should Foreigners Pay Higher Prices?

dunkin2012

If you examine this subject fully - it will become clear that foreigners aren't charged more per se. THis is largely an urban myth - if repeated often enough it becomes "true"

There are a few examples (e.g. National parks) where foreigners are expected to pay more.

however in other circumstances it is usually down to the paranoia of the expat coup[led with their own prejudice and inability to negotiate a reasonable price. THis price would be piaid by any Thai person who is equally inept

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did run into a soi dog. I don't think he could read the one way signs though. But he should have looked both ways before he tried to run out and bite me. All in all the trade offs between the first world crazyness and the Thai lawlessness put my vote in favor of the Thais. No shrinks here to speak of. I don't know that the psycho active drugs are better than no psycho active drugs. You sound like a civilized person and I am a dinosaur that drove a truck when I was 13 on the farm, made moonshine and rode a motorcycle without a helmet and they didn't have seatbelts in cars. I don't know how I have lived so long. I guess one of the reasons I moved to Thailand was to avoid progress. I am tired of progress actually. Don't worry, I'll be dead soon and all you PC, civilized people will be in charge. I have my remaining few years in Thailand doddering along on the wrong side of the road, I'm happy. :rolleyes:

I see we have a lot in common. I kind of enjoy the freedom in Thailand. I can pretty much do whatever I want, when I want, for as long as I want, as long as I stay reasonable. And, if I DO run afoul of the law, then a small bribe is better and cheaper than the huge fine I might pay for a similar traffic offence in the west. I have the freedom to kill myself if I do something stupid, and I"m not allowed to sue anyone else for doing something stupid.

I have the choice of paying the asking price for something or refusing to pay. It's as simple as that. Most stuff we can do without anyway. Everywhere I've gone in Thailand I pay the same for a meal as a Thai does. I pay more to visit a National Park, but how much does that cost me over a year? If I can't pay the difference then I shouldn't be living in Thailand.

Certainly there are strange rules and regulations in Thailand. Certainly there is corruption, but so what? How much does it actually affect us? I have minor irritations in Canada as well, but I don't let it affect my life.

This is in many countries happening<>example

The capital of holland amsterdam weed is more expensive then in the other cities because of the tourist that comes to the capital.

For example switzerland,we by expensive raclett cheese,but i am sure these swiss guys buy it cheaper then us.

Turkey is also an sample there leather is cheap,but try yo buy it cheap as a falang

Same thing in brazil,drugs are cheap...but for the falang.....hmmmwhistling.gifstill cheap...lol

But the prostitution yes is a sample in brazil,a brazilian dude should bum bum cheaper the all of us falang

It is normal all over the world,and above are sample whit respect to all people mentioned.

My own opion is...why not????Business is about making more money,and if this way works...hahahah...why not.

I am Thai,but also have falang family,and when they are here higher prices for them can not be avoided.

peacejap.gif

I have a Thai friend who has a successful laundry shop in Chiang Mai. She won't let her farang husband do any of the business shopping because she can always negotiate a better deal for soap and supplies. But, we are only talking small amounts of money that wouldn't concern most of us. A Thai will spend a couple extra hours on a cheaper bus just to save 50 baht. A farang just wants to get there at any price so long as it's comfortable. I learned that lesson the hard way when I agreed to travel with a Thai woman to her home town, supposedly 10 hours by bus away. Instead it took us 16 hours with many stops along the way. After that I flew.

Should foreigners pay higher prices?

Vivek Wagle Lonely Planet author

A few years ago, I fronted up to Delhi's Jantar Mantar, a stellar remnant of India's Mughal past. An Indian by birth and ethnicity, I handed over the 'local' entrance fee – about US$0.10 – only for the guard to laugh and demand the much higher 'foreigner' fee (US$2). My protests were brushed aside: I could not produce an Indian passport, and my Hindi was horribly accented. So the foreign price it was. ....

I used to stay in Jaine's Guest House on Janpath.

Fellow guests included the cast of the Hindi movie

"Damera Dam - Hare Krishna - Hare Ram"

There was a big pile of rubble against the outside wall of Jantar Mantar.

We used to climb over the wall and hang out there in the evenings.

I don't remember there being an entry fee even by the main entrance on the other side.

Beautiful to imagine how the night sky must have been before street lighting.

How could you possibly use such astronomical instruments is New Delhi today?

Edited by jobsworth

I have a Thai friend who has a successful laundry shop in Chiang Mai. She won't let her farang husband do any of the business shopping because she can always negotiate a better deal for soap and supplies. But, we are only talking small amounts of money that wouldn't concern most of us. A Thai will spend a couple extra hours on a cheaper bus just to save 50 baht. A farang just wants to get there at any price so long as it's comfortable. I learned that lesson the hard way when I agreed to travel with a Thai woman to her home town, supposedly 10 hours by bus away. Instead it took us 16 hours with many stops along the way. After that I flew.

To make a long story short, your Thai lady friend is a professional buyer. You and her husband are not.

Then your story about learning the hard way that flying is faster than taking a bus ... No offense, but most of us already knew it.

The two sides of the arguement seem to follow the following lines:-

Yes, a foreigner should pay more than a local on the basis that he is able to pay more. In which case I'm glad I'm not Bill Gates "500 Bucks for a hamburger? Very reasonable my good man, here's a grand, keep the change".

and,

No, the price is the price and in an Orwellian world where everyone gets treated the same regardless of the ability to pay that works. But it only really works if you are prepared to even the playing fields worldwide, have one currency and everyone gets paid the same but please can I have more of the same than him?

The bottom line is how much do you want the goods or service and are you prepared to pay the asking rate, or one that you are able to negotiate down to. Nobody forces you to pay the money, unless it's a bung to the BiB then you're "guilty" and will pay one way or another, so if you don't like it vote with your feet.

You won't make any difference because for every westerner that walks there are ten Japanese or Koreans or such that will pay because it is cheaper than back home. Just go to a big city and hunt out the Japanese or Korean neighbourhood and check the prices in the shops.

Then your story about learning the hard way that flying is faster than taking a bus ... No offense, but most of us already knew it.

Normally, I always take the fastest and easiest route to wherever I am going, but when you DON'T know where you are going then you have to follow the lead of a person that does. In the case I was relating to the woman could not pick out her home town on a Thailand map written in Thai. That seems to be a common problem with many Thais. They can find their way anywhere in Thailand by bus, but they don't know the fastest route to get there. And, they don't know how to read a simple map. I remember one time following a Thai lady on my scooter for 30 km to a destination I could have got to in 10 km had I followed my GPS, or a simple road map. But, she couldn't explain where we were going or how to get there. She just took the route she always followed. It doesn't really bother me because I have the time and I just enjoy the ride. But, I do find it a bit funny.

LIfe is a gand adventure, and I've often followed the path less traveled. And, for that I don't mind paying a little extra as a foreigner. It might be different if I had a small, fixed income and tried to eke out an existance in Thailand like a Thai person does. But, I wouldn't have got myself into that situation in the first place. Being forewarned is being forearmed. I would never pull up stakes and move to somewhere that I hadn't fully researched before doing so. I believe that a lot of bitter expats did that and are now regretting the situation they willingly got themselves into.

If you examine this subject fully - it will become clear that foreigners aren't charged more per se. THis is largely an urban myth - if repeated often enough it becomes "true"

There are a few examples (e.g. National parks) where foreigners are expected to pay more.

however in other circumstances it is usually down to the paranoia of the expat coup[led with their own prejudice and inability to negotiate a reasonable price. THis price would be piaid by any Thai person who is equally inept

Pretty well spot on.

My Thai SIL will do this, but my Thai BIL won't. I'm 100% certain they're both Thai. whistling.gif

I see we have a lot in common. I kind of enjoy the freedom in Thailand. I can pretty much do whatever I want, when I want, for as long as I want, as long as I stay reasonable. And, if I DO run afoul of the law, then a small bribe is better and cheaper than the huge fine I might pay for a similar traffic offence in the west. I have the freedom to kill myself if I do something stupid, and I"m not allowed to sue anyone else for doing something stupid.

I have the choice of paying the asking price for something or refusing to pay. It's as simple as that. Most stuff we can do without anyway. Everywhere I've gone in Thailand I pay the same for a meal as a Thai does. I pay more to visit a National Park, but how much does that cost me over a year? If I can't pay the difference then I shouldn't be living in Thailand.

Certainly there are strange rules and regulations in Thailand. Certainly there is corruption, but so what? How much does it actually affect us? I have minor irritations in Canada as well, but I don't let it affect my life.

+1

Thais do tend to want the cheapest way to travel. And they tend to wait until the absolute last minute to buy a ticket. I told my gf to never let that happen to me. But there really is no reason for it. VIP bus fills up quickly, and if I can reserve at 7-11 1-2 days prior, why not?

Pretty well spot on.

From my experience those statements are completely in error. I take a motorcycle taxi at least once a day. Thais pay 15 baht for the ride Farang pay 20. Every day. If I go to the taxi stand where I know the drivers I pay 15 baht. If I go to one where I don't know the drivers, the dispatch guy tells any new driver to charge me 20 baht. I can speak Thai and understand what he is saying. Thais always pay 15 baht if they know the people or not. This is not a tourist town and there is nothing so common as a motorcycle taxi. No one negotiates a price because everyone knows it is 15 baht. Unless personal acquaintance trumps nationality the Farang pays more.

Pretty well spot on.

From my experience those statements are completely in error. I take a motorcycle taxi at least once a day. Thais pay 15 baht for the ride Farang pay 20. Every day. If I go to the taxi stand where I know the drivers I pay 15 baht. If I go to one where I don't know the drivers, the dispatch guy tells any new driver to charge me 20 baht. I can speak Thai and understand what he is saying. Thais always pay 15 baht if they know the people or not. This is not a tourist town and there is nothing so common as a motorcycle taxi. No one negotiates a price because everyone knows it is 15 baht. Unless personal acquaintance trumps nationality the Farang pays more.

Firstly let me say that i have greater interests here than worrying about paying an extra 5 baht! i like my life here and its really not an issue.

That aside, From my time living on Samui. Deerals post is most definately not spot on as berkshire seems to think. I won't comment about other areas of Thailand, but i will comment on a place i actually know about. Its actually commonplace here, even with Thai retaurants with two differently priced menus. Certainly i would'nt entertain the idea of eating at such establishments, but in the whole scheme of things, yes i'm aware of it but it really is too unimportant to me to waste time getting wound up about such things. One situation that does bug me though is the overpricing on public songthaew here to expats and tourists alike. Its not just about paying often more than double the Thais its more about the agressive nature the driver goes about it. That said, i never had a problem in Pattaya, when using a baht bus so that tells me other places are different.

Deeral and berkshires comments i'm afraid are wholly incorrect, but i really think that people should treat it as the relatively minor aspect that it is and focus on the many plus points the place has.

Edited by carmine

We are not alone ??? Statue park in Nong Khai

post-59590-0-64486500-1308379957_thumb.j

Are lao not foreigners ? Thai logic you have to laugh

I don't see why the sign is illogical.

If you are running a business where Laotians are sneaking in, pretending to be Thai (I mean why wouldn't they?) then a separate reminder like you see in the sign makes perfect sense.

If you are running a business where Laotians are sneaking in, pretending to be Thai (I mean why wouldn't they?) then a separate reminder like you see in the sign makes perfect sense.

Still it ads nothing because they are foreigners and yes they can sneak in as Thais but so could a lot of other ppl from neighboring countries. It would be logical if they wrote a warning not to pretend to be Thai or something of that nature. (with a fine)

This is not a reminder its stupidity and i bet you know it too.

You know math and categories. Just think back of those times i know you are a smart guy.

Still it ads nothing because they are foreigners and yes they can sneak in as Thais but so could a lot of other ppl from neighboring countries. It would be logical if they wrote a warning not to pretend to be Thai or something of that nature. (with a fine)

This is not a reminder its stupidity and i bet you know it too.

You know math and categories. Just think back of those times i know you are a smart guy.

Flattery will get you everywhere.....

Look, my take is a little different. But no harm done if we don't see eye to eye on this one. It is a cardboard sign afterall! :)

Wouldn't call it stupidity. The good economist I am (not) I'm assuming (we only ever assume) there is an incentive to write the sign that way. Otherwise, why would you bother?

My guess, is that it is mainly Lao's claiming to be 'locals' cutting into revenue. Technically you are a foreigner if you are from Laos, but if your house is only 500m away across a river which happens to be an international border, then you probably wouldn't necessarily consider yourself a foreigner. You'd have to be reminded.

Perhaps I understand the Thai thought process a little differently (better?) than others? 555. Or maybe it is just applying economic concepts.

It is how I make my living for charging people for nuggets of insight..... ;)

:P

Nong Khai Statue park

Bloody hell sorry i posted the picture now whistling.gif

But well worth the 20 baht entrance fee...rolleyes.gif

Unlike some other places where they charge a foreigner as much as 300baht to enter . mad.gif

But if you show them your work permit then you will pay the same as a thai person jap.gif

Edited by welsh1

Nong Khai Statue park

Unlike some other places where they charge a foreigner as much as 300baht to enter . mad.gif

But if you show them your work permit then you will pay the same as a thai person jap.gif

Hi taf, where you been ? :D

Nong Khai Statue park

TS I have been to most places in thailand....

I tend to go to places where they got a 20 baht entrance fee. rolleyes.gif..and i tend to shy away from the more expensive places whistling.gif

Nong Khai Statue park

I tend to go to places where they got a 20 baht entrance fee. rolleyes.gif..and i tend to shy away from the more expensive places whistling.gif

Nooooooooooooo, meant, not seen you here for a while, :sorry::offtopic: Been sailing around the world or tasting the real ale in the vales. :D

Nong Khai Statue park

Nooooooooooooo, meant, not seen you here for a while, :sorry::offtopic: Been sailing around the world or tasting the real ale in the vales. :D

Sorrrrry ...been back to my home town in wales ..took erindoors for her first time visit...Well stocked up now ..give the Donor kebabs and the Strongbow a dam good hiding rolleyes.gif

Sorrrrry ...been back to my home town in wales ..took erindoors for her first time visit...Well stocked up now ..give the Donor kebabs and the Strongbow a dam good hiding rolleyes.gif

Good for you, l am jealous. DON'T tell me you had a few bigMacs too. :ermm:

The point is that if we love Thailand we should all help it understand that if it wishes to shed it's all joke like status it must change.

Thai do not want to be looked down upon.

And yet they always will if they keep this sort of nonsense up. At the moment Thailand is known as corrupt sexual playground that is not yet ready to move up from 3rd world status.

These policy's help it keep that way.

They are just plain wrong.

The point is that if we love Thailand we should all help it understand that if it wishes to shed it's all joke like status it must change.

Thai do not want to be looked down upon.

And yet they always will if they keep this sort of nonsense up. At the moment Thailand is known as corrupt sexual playground that is not yet ready to move up from 3rd world status.

These policy's help it keep that way.

They are just plain wrong.

Perhaps one thing we should try to do is abandon unhelpful drama-based classifications for countries - classifying a country as a joke, comedy, pantomime, tragedy, opera or turgid sit-com.

We also should, perhaps, realise, that the people of some countries may have quite different standards from ourselves, and may feel that in some way they are superior to us, despite the fact that we look down on them. We may find that our arrogant opinions are not considered important in some countries. We may also find that some other nationalities can be nationalist without being patriotic, and may not choose to sacrifice their own commercial acumen for the sake of the reputation of the country.,

And we should also remember that practice does not always reflect policy, particularly in a country where government is not strong in comparison to certain groups within the country.

And finally, we should perhaps refrain from stating our value judgements as if they were immutable and universal facts. I think that is just plain wrong.

In my opinion, foreigners should pay the price that is asked from them, or forego the service that is being offered. While I like to have a written and fixed price, I find that is rarely the case in Thailand, and even in department stores, I often find I am asked to pay some price significantly different from that written on the ticket; unwritten and arbitrary discounts make no sense to me, and I find it frustrating as it makes it impossible to make a valid comparison without protracted negotiation for each option.

SC