So, What Have You Contributed To

Kan Win

:D:D:D

Apart from the normal Crew on hand that is ! :D who post regularly :D

I have put this Fred in the General Section so that every member Kan “Khun-tribute” to it. :D

Myself, a couple or two jokes, not too many One “Bin that” Liners :D , but mostly photos as I see Thailand. I have taken a few trip outside of my norm and taken photos for ThaiVisaDotCom as questions are always asked.

Welcome with your thoughts and views…. :o

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. hope this one will not end with a lot of Khun-troversy (Thai related words BTW)

Edited by Kan Win

...........................................erm..................................

............mmm............................. :o ...................................

.............a nice picture of grilled prawn.....................?

helped a girl with a sick buffalo!!!! :o:D

Spent hours when ment to be work reading and comenting when i have an oppion.

Mucho thanks to you all for making my work alittle less tediuos. (All though i get liad off at the end of the month but the boss thinks i work very hard!!!! the fool)

TJ :D

...........................................erm..................................

............mmm............................. :o ...................................

.............a nice picture of grilled prawn.....................?

erm.......................................

............mmm............................. :D ...................................

............. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...cmd=si&img=1875

1 - Snail Happy Hour

2 - Garden Wall: Crack or Design Feature

3 - Korat Web Cam

4 - Isaan Dining Guide

5 - Footpath Inspection in Surin

6 - Farang Connection Web Cam that Actually Worked

7 - Best Avatar Ever

8 - Buadhai Calling Cards

I could go on, but I'm very busy.

What have I contributed? Hmmm...

I have given my opinions on quite a few threads and sometimes added some of my humor even if it wasn't needed :D

Sometimes I've been argumentitve also apparently :D

Kan Win - Been reading quite a few of your posts recently. I like :D

Aswell as your beautiful photos :o

Edited by Ice Maiden

What have I contributed? Hmmm...

I have given my opinions on quite a few threads and sometimes added some of my humor even if it wasn't needed  :D

Sometimes I've been argumentitve also apparently  :D

Kan Win - Been reading quite a few of your posts recently. I like  :D

Aswell as your beautiful photos :D

Thank you Ice Maiden.

I miss my old mate K.O. Hope all is well and he will come back soon to us .... bless his little cotton socks. :D

Anyways

Now back to the Topic :o

Anyone else out there wishes to say some thing.......Helllooooo

I haven't contributed a lot..... some information and advice on Canadian visitor visas, software and computer problems, and tourism in Thailand. It seems that whenever I want to know something and / or start a topic, searching the forum will reveal the answer or that the topic has been done before.

The truth is that in reality I have taken a h*ll of a lot more than I have given- lots of idle hours and laughs at reading posts, lots of good advice, and lots of insight on Thailand.

At the end of the day every poster (trolls apart) brings something to the table if you ask me.

Whether a member posts a point of view, a bit of advice, photos, personal memories or even a bit of moral support to a member in need, but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Every post is valuable in making this forum the lively and fascinating place it is.

Every post here helps to keep Thailand alive in us in some way or another. Long may it continue! Keep posting!

Edited by ProfessorFart

I haven't contributed a lot.....  some information and advice on Canadian visitor visas, software and computer problems, and tourism in Thailand. It seems that whenever I want to know something and / or start a topic, searching the forum will reveal the answer or that the topic has been done before.

The truth is that in reality I have taken a h*ll of a lot more than I have given- lots of idle hours and laughs at reading posts, lots of good advice, and lots of insight on Thailand.

Only 45 posts to go (The magic number is 500) and then you Kan go into Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh "Bedlam" (yet another door opens)

And BTW try, some of these whilst traveling down this path (Clickable Smilies) in your posts :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :o

At the end of the day every poster (trolls apart) brings something to the table if you ask me.

Whether a member posts a point of view, a bit of advice, photos,  personal memories or even a bit of moral support to a member in need, but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Every post is valuable in making this forum the lively and fascinating place it is.

Every post here helps to keep Thailand alive in us in some way or another. Long may it continue! Keep posting!

My thoughts exactly... good post Fartypants! :o

The ThaiVisa community is like every other community... it has it's unique individuals from all ends of the spectrum as well as the mainstayers... all contribute in their own way to make this a great Forum.

:D

And Colonel Kan... keep those pictures coming. :D

Whether a member posts a point of view, a bit of advice, photos,  personal memories or even a bit of moral support to a member in need, but it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. Every post is valuable in making this forum the lively and fascinating place it is.

My thoughts exactly... good post Fartypants! :o

The ThaiVisa community is like every other community... it has it's unique individuals from all ends of the spectrum as well as the mainstayers... all contribute in their own way to make this a great Forum.

And Colonel Kan... keep those pictures coming. :D

Given the name of the poster above and the sentiments expressed, this seems a perfect opportunity to promote the JAIDEE Appeal!

For those of you who have not been following the Dying Girlfriend? thread on the Pattaya Forum, the Jaidee Appeal supports the kids at the Camillian Centre in Rayong who have been orphaned by and/or born with HIV. The latest fundraiser is in memory of a Thaivisa.com member’s (richardb) ex-girlfriend who recently passed away at the Camillian Centre.

The appeal is currently being actively supported by Bahtbus.com, Thailand-UK.com and as of recently, Thaivisa.com. To date, 173,000 Baht has been pledged.

To give anyone interested an insight into how some of the previous monies raised by the Jaidee Appeal have been used, please read on…

The genesis of the CAMILLIAN CENTRE GARDEN OF EDEN

The Jaidee Appeal for the Camillian Centre came into being on the 31st of January 2001.

Although the initial 1,000,000 Baht target was seen by many as pie in the sky, history shows their doubt to have been ill founded.

The initial response to the appeal was beyond all expectations.

All and sundry were making donations ranging from a few hundred Baht to many multiples thereof.

Thanks to the generosity of one member who made a substantial donation, the idea of having the Jaidee Appeal monies partially used to fund some ‘concrete’ addition to the Centre came to mind; an extra building for the kids was the first thought.

Father G immediately warmed to the notion, but explained there was no room at the Centre itself for such expansion. He did, however, have another idea: he had long been thinking of something along the lines of a ‘half-way house’.

He envisaged such a facility as catering for young mothers and their children who were in the earlier stages of HIV/AIDS. Under the right supervision, such sufferers would be able to live a productive life away from the Centre whilst also freeing up space for those in greater need.

He also foresaw this to be a place for recovering patients before returning to society.

To cut a long story short, a house was identified that fitted all the criteria: reasonable external garden area, proximity to the Centre, a main road, shops, local hospital, schools etc.

The house in question was a ‘non-performing loan’ or more accurately, a repossession due to default.

The place was ideal and thanks to Father G’s negotiating skills, the price was right. We began planning all the work that needed to be done and itemised the necessary furnishings and equipment that would be required. Unfortunately, at ‘one minute to midnight’ the deal fell through.

That week Father G happened to be talking to a wealthy Thai lady who had previously shown interest in the Centre. When Father G just happened to share his disappointment at losing the property, the lady told him that she had some land that the Centre could have for free.

By ‘some land’ she actually meant over eleven rai or some 18,000 square metres!

The land was very close to a main road and fitted all the other criteria.

That was the beginning of Father G’s ‘Garden of Eden’ dream becoming a reality.

Father G wasted no time in writing up a formal project proposal as he would need to get approval from the ‘white frocks’, as I somewhat irreverently refer to his superiors.

Approval granted, work commenced to clear the land which was no mean task involving earth movers, drainage work and so forth.

Almost two years ago, a pal of mine and fellow supporter of the Jaidee Appeal, Tom Grieve, offered to fly me over the development in his Ultralight aircraft so I could take some photographs.

tomfg.jpg

Tom and Father G the day Tom gave free flights for the kids

Great idea, great pilot, shame about the photographer…

My only excuse is that given the speed we were going at, bouncing and banking all over the shop, as soon as the green focus light came on my digital camera, we had already passed the target so I had to ‘guess’ in advance.

The pics below, whilst being of embarrassingly poor quality, will at least give an indication of the site in the early stages of its development:

GARDEN%20OF%20EDEN%207.jpg

The house farthest away of the two is the ‘Baan Jaidee’, the first dwelling to be built at the ‘Garden of Eden’

Below is the best pic I could get of the ‘Baan Jaidee’ after about ten abortive fly pasts and much abuse from Tom:

BAAN%20JAIDEE%202.jpg

It was much easier on the ground…

BAAN%20JAIDEE_resize.jpg

Since then several more houses have been built in the name of other individual charitable organisations:

progress2_resize.jpg

At the heart of the development is a central meeting facility which also serves as a dining area.

gardenofedencentre2_resize.jpg

The last I heard there were over thirty adults and children staying at the Garden of Eden. The adults who are all well enough do a limited amount of work such as tending to vegetable gardens etc.

baby_resize.jpg

Although I have not been over to the Garden of Eden for a while, Father G tells me that they are now producing fruit and vegetables beyond the Centre’s needs so are able to sell the surplus.

There is still a great deal of potential for the Garden of Eden as there is a large area yet to be cleared and developed.

Pictured below is one of the recent arrivals at the Garden of Eden:

helpless_resize.jpg

If you would like to help the kids by making a donation, please click here

Given the name of the poster above and the sentiments expressed, this seems a perfect opportunity to promote the JAIDEE Appeal!

<snip>

Gee thanks... (I think)... Noel.

The JAIDEE Appeal is indeed a worthwhile cause and I personally subscribe to it via my place of work. :o

However, I think you'd be better off posting this as a new thread in the Pattaya Forum... that way it won't be buried in all the replies made in this particular topic.

Good contribution to the Forum and also to those poor kids Noel.

This is another good example of what the ThaiVisa community is all about.

:o Noel: Great post concerning this very worthwhile cause. The Camillion Centre is doing some really wonderful things and the JAIDEE appeal is a great way to help them get the job done. Looking forward to a meet at the November Drunkatholon (along with some other Korat area residents). The forum member JaiDee does have a pretty good point about your post getting "lost" here in this thread, yet not everyone gets into the Pattaya Forum either. Perhaps a new thread in this "General" forum with what you posted here???? I, for one, would love to see some more of our thaivisa.com members support this appeal and the Camillion Centre. :D

:o Noel:  Great post concerning this very worthwhile cause.  The Camillion Centre is doing some really wonderful things and the JAIDEE appeal is a great way to help them get the job done.  Looking forward to a meet at the November Drunkatholon (along with some other Korat area residents).  The forum member JaiDee does have a pretty good point about your post getting "lost" here in this thread, yet not everyone gets into the Pattaya Forum either.  Perhaps a new thread in this "General" forum with what you posted here????  I, for one, would love to see some more of our thaivisa.com members support this appeal and the Camillion Centre. :D

Well said Ken.

This is most definitely a thoroughly worthwhile charity to get behind. I wonder if the moderators could perhaps pin a post about the Camillian Centre somewhere so that everyone gets to read about it. Might even get a few more donations that way.

I have visited the Camillian Center before and had the privilege to meet Father Giovanni. I took a couple of new bicycles for the kids that are in the early stages of HIV. Father Giovanni said the bikes would last no longer than six months as they would be used all of the time by those children that were well enough to use them. Nevertheless just to see the smiles on their faces was quite a humbling experience.

That will go down as one of the most memorable days in my life and certainly helps to puts everything else into perspective.

:D Noel:  Great post concerning this very worthwhile cause.  The Camillion Centre is doing some really wonderful things and the JAIDEE appeal is a great way to help them get the job done.  Looking forward to a meet at the November Drunkatholon (along with some other Korat area residents).  The forum member JaiDee does have a pretty good point about your post getting "lost" here in this thread, yet not everyone gets into the Pattaya Forum either.  Perhaps a new thread in this "General" forum with what you posted here????  I, for one, would love to see some more of our thaivisa.com members support this appeal and the Camillion Centre. :D

Thanks for the sound advice, Jai Dee and Ken.

I agree with you both and will do as you suggest. :o