Possible To Clear 3 Month Overstay At Chiang Mai Immigration

Hello everyone.

A friend of mine has an 3 month overstay.

He ran out of money before his homecountry gave a visa for his wife and daughter(thai) and he couldnt afford another visa run but didnt want to leave his wife and daughter behind,so he overstayed.Please no comments about stupid or not or wright or wrong,thank you!It took 8 month till his homecountry finally gave the visa to his wife,he hadnt expect that and was surprised finding him self in a situation to stay 6 month more than planed!

He stayed in Thailand for around 4 years with back to back tourist visas and at last he stayed on a 2 month tourist visa extension based on marriage.

He wants to move back to his homecountry now with his family and wants to clear his overstay (pay the 20000 fine)at the chiang mai immigration office and get a "emergency" 7 day visa so he can transport his dog to bangkok and clear all the custom stuff for his dog without being afraid to be catched by immigration while driving to bangkok.

Is this possible??

Help is much appriciated!

Thank you.

Do not believe immigration would have any option other than holding him as he has no stay to extend. A few days might be OK but months are highly unlikely. He should be prepared to leave when contact made with immigration in my reading. The chance of incidence between Chiang Mai and Bangkok is not high so if tickets are out of Bangkok I would try to get things done first. Suspect Immigration would try to be helpful but do not believe they have much room to do so in such a situation. Has he asked his Embassy for advise?

He could not have a tourist visa based on marriage as you suggest. (No such thing).

He should go to CM Immigration with his wife and speak to them nicely and explain the

situation, maybe they will be kind.

((flame removed))

Edited by lopburi3

A visa run is only a few hours, it is no big deal to leave a wife and child alone for a few hours,

and am sure that a few thousand baht will not break the bank.

To which country is he going to, as it seems the details that he submitted prior to getting a visa for

his wife and child have now changed, on the Visa application forms it states that you must inform the

Embassy of any changes in circumstances.

Edited by beano2274

Be aware that he should be careful when travelling as the Police are checking people due to the forthcoming elections. It has been reported here on TV that a foreigner was arrested this week whilst travelling on a bus, the story is here somewhere.

A visa run is only a few hours, it is no big deal to leave a wife and child alone for a few hours,

and am sure that a few thousand baht will not break the bank.

To which country is he going to, as it seems the details that he submitted prior to getting a visa for

his wife and child have now changed, on the Visa application forms it states that you must inform the

Embassy of any changes in circumstances.

A visa run is only a few hours,but it was too much money for only 2 weeks of stay and the chance that he wouldnt get another touristvisa in laos was very big.

but this absolutly not imoportant at this point...it is what it is.

The second part of what you write i cant understand,my english aint that good.

He is going to germany and the details regarding the visa for his wife and daughter havent chnaged,why would they change?Or do i understand this wrong?

The question that really is important is if he can walk into the immigration office in chiang mai 7 days before he leaves thailand with a planeticket to germany in hand,pay his 20000 baht fine and get a 7 day "visa" or stamp so he can go to bangkok without problems?

thank you

The previous suggestion about contacting his home country embassy/consulate for a recommendation before turning himself in (err, going to Immigration) is probably sound. So is the advise about getting his affairs in order, not using long-distance public transporation and (I would add) not breaking any traffic laws.

Edited by NancyL