No Smoking At The Huntsman Pub

theoldgit

My partner and I went to The Huntsman Pub in the The Landmark Hotel and noticed that they are now complying with the Thai Law banning smoking in such an environment.

Now, even though I'm a non smoker, I have no particular view one way or the other, though I suspect governments round the world are introducing such laws for a reason, but the pub certainly didn't have that stale smoke smell that it used to have, and my girlfriend didn't complain about her hair and cloths smelling of smoke when we got home.

I thought twice about posting this information, for fear that it would spark off the usual unpleasant exchange between the smokers who think they have the right to let their stale smoke drift anywhere and those who object, but decided to post for the information of anyone interested.

I used to try to see the smokers side of this issue, but if food is served in a place the cigarette stink pretty much ruins it.

I have no problem with people smoking in a bar with good ventilation, but wish that restaurants would comply with the law and not allow the vile stench of cigarette smoking to ruin other's meals.

Smoking used to be allowed on one side of the bar. Wife and I always sit the other side and very rarely were bothered.

I think they now allow it just outside the pub entrance which is still inside the basment in an (evening closed) eating area of the hotel. Normally the large screen for popular sporting events is placed there.

Quote from OP:

I thought twice about posting this information, for fear that it would spark off the usual unpleasant exchange between the smokers who think they have the right to let their stale smoke drift anywhere and those who object, but decided to post for the information of anyone interested.

Yeah, right........like you didnt know it easily can spark.

:lol:

If its for info only as you state...why didnt you just post ...The Landmark is No Smoking'............its just another infringment on peoples liberties...if you dont like smoking, go elsewhere....I dont like drinking so dont go to bars....I dont like Sushi, so dont go to a Sushi restaurant, thats my choice..............

if you dont like smoking, go elsewhere....

Don't need to now do I?

But those that wish to smoke do.

even though i'm a heavy smoker i think that's very unfair towards fellow non-smokers and that applies especially to an establishment where food is served. <_<

Well...its more than a coincidence that since the ban on smoking in UK pubs came in, thousands have gone bust and shut down....people would rather sit at home with a few cans from the supermarket and have a puff rather than having to go outside in the rain......in Thailand, Gullivers at Kho Sarn has suffered tremendously since the ban came in, place is always empty...so if bars wish to pander to the needs of the non smokers, let it be!!!

We

Well...its more than a coincidence that since the ban on smoking in UK pubs came in, thousands have gone bust and shut down....people would rather sit at home with a few cans from the supermarket and have a puff rather than having to go outside in the rain......in Thailand, Gullivers at Kho Sarn has suffered tremendously since the ban came in, place is always empty...so if bars wish to pander to the needs of the non smokers, let it be!!!

Well this shows an immaturity on the part of smokers, if I can't play I am taking my ball home :rolleyes:

How hard can it be to walk outside for a smoke leaving the interior more pleasant, Oh yes, I guess for a smoker it is too hard to stand up and walk outside :whistling:

It is not pleasant, it stinks, it is tedious in the extreme that someone can not consider the feelings of others nearby, it does infringe on other people and their senses.

I am with oldgit on this one, and if you smokers don't want to go to a bar because you can't smoke in there then I won't miss you and your obnoxious odour and bad stinking breath. :jap:

...so if bars wish to pander to the needs of the non smokers, let it be!!!

By that I assume you mean that if bars want to comply with the laws of the land.

Just think yourself fortunate that you don't live in New York where they have extended the ban to parks and many outdoor spaces. I think that it's probably taking it a tad too far, but why do you think governments around the world are introducing such laws, do you think it's a global conspiracy theory against smokers, ot could there possibly be a reason?

...so if bars wish to pander to the needs of the non smokers, let it be!!!

By that I assume you mean that if bars want to comply with the laws of the land.

Just think yourself fortunate that you don't live in New York where they have extended the ban to parks and many outdoor spaces. I think that it's probably taking it a tad too far, but why do you think governments around the world are introducing such laws, do you think it's a global conspiracy theory against smokers, ot could there possibly be a reason?

Actually, I think some outdoor public areas have banned smoking in Bkk. I recall, many moons ago when I was a smoker (2 years nicotine free after 20 whistling.gif), getting told off for smoking in a public park near Emporium.

And for the record, as an ex (heavy) smoker, for some reason I don't find it the least bit disturbing sitting next to someone in the pub who is smoking whilst I eat my food. What I don't like is waking up after an evening out and reaking of ciggarette odor in my hair and clothes, and going near my wife's mouth after she has been smoking. bah.gif

We

Well this shows an immaturity on the part of smokers, if I can't play I am taking my ball home :rolleyes:

How hard can it be to walk outside for a smoke leaving the interior more pleasant, Oh yes, I guess for a smoker it is too hard to stand up and walk outside :whistling:

It is not pleasant, it stinks, it is tedious in the extreme that someone can not consider the feelings of others nearby, it does infringe on other people and their senses.

I am with oldgit on this one, and if you smokers don't want to go to a bar because you can't smoke in there then I won't miss you and your obnoxious odour and bad stinking breath. :jap:

You said it.......' if you smokers don't want to go to a bar because you can't smoke in there'.......same can apply to non smokers then!..if you dont want to go in there dont!!!

We

I am with oldgit on this one, and if you smokers don't want to go to a bar because you can't smoke in there then I won't miss you and your obnoxious odour and bad stinking breath.

Please expalin what is immature?.........choosing to stay at home where one can do what one wants rather than go somewhere you cant isnt being immature..I dont like the smell of fish, would you mind just going outside to eat your seafood, or I guess it could be too hard for you....I dont drink alchohol and it causes unheard misery to millions around the world but I dont want it banned...as a non drinker, it is a disgusting smell on someones breathe when they have had just one glass but hey, I live with that, I think it is the non smokers being immature and throwing their dummies out of their prams

Quote from OP:

Yeah, right........like you didnt know it easily can spark.

:lol:

theoldgit

If it wasnt for all your posts already, I would have called you a Troll.

;)

You knew this would happen.

:D

We

I am with oldgit on this one, and if you smokers don't want to go to a bar because you can't smoke in there then I won't miss you and your obnoxious odour and bad stinking breath.

Please expalin what is immature?.........choosing to stay at home where one can do what one wants rather than go somewhere you cant isnt being immature..I dont like the smell of fish, would you mind just going outside to eat your seafood, or I guess it could be too hard for you....I dont drink alchohol and it causes unheard misery to millions around the world but I dont want it banned...as a non drinker, it is a disgusting smell on someones breathe when they have had just one glass but hey, I live with that, I think it is the non smokers being immature and throwing their dummies out of their prams

Does eating fish affect another persons health and make them smell, does having a drink affect someone elses health or make the smell?

Smoking is an awful habit that affects other people around the smoker, is this too hard for you to understand?

We

Does eating fish affect another persons health and make them smell, does having a drink affect someone elses health or make the smell?

Smoking is an awful habit that affects other people around the smoker, is this too hard for you to understand?

I don't think anyone forces you to go into a bar.

So what are you saying, are you suggesting that a person who wants to go into a bar and enjoy a drink, and maybe a meal, should not do so if they find the smell of stale and drifting smoke, caused by the minorty of smokers who decide to act selfishly and illegally, uncomfortable?

Thankfully the majority of smokers show consideration to others and don't demonstrate the anti social behaviour of the few.

I will ask one more time, why exactly do you think governments throughout the world are introducing such legislation, do you really think it's a global conspiracy against smokers?

So what are you saying, are you suggesting that a person who wants to go into a bar and enjoy a drink, and maybe a meal, should not do so if they find the smell of stale and drifting smoke, caused by the minorty of smokers who decide to act selfishly and illegally, uncomfortable?

Thankfully the majority of smokers show consideration to others and don't demonstrate the anti social behaviour of the few.

I will ask one more time, why exactly do you think governments throughout the world are introducing such legislation, do you really think it's a global conspiracy against smokers?

I would think that even most smokers would not like smoke in a room where meals are eaten. I am referring places that are basically bars, or nightclubs.

I do NOT smoke but am sick and tired of the way smokers are treated. If I go in to a bar and am offended by smoke, smell, naked flesh, music, drunken gits, too much noise etc etc, I leave. I don't have to go to the bar, I don't have to stay in the bar. If I find a bar that is smoke free I may go there. But I have the choice.

A bit of second hand smoke every now and again will have absolutely no effect on me. I'm more likely to die from the exhaust fumes in the city.

You may not realise this but statistics, in my country at least, are way off the mark when it comes to deaths related to smoking. I know for a fact that if a person dies of something........say pneumonia, and he smokes, then that person's death is also listed as a smoking related fatality. Even if there is not the slightest link.

I know exactly why governments introduce such legislation......MONEY. Govts are afraid of lawsuits from people that work in places that allow smoking, even if it is just the slightest possibility that they have sore eyes that caused them to blink at the wrong time and run into a stray dog and hurt their big toe.

Do you think govt's care about your health? Not a chance, if they cared about health they would just make cigarrettes an illegal substance. But they won't, they need the taxes cigarrettes bring.

I may also add that, at least in my country (oz) and perhaps in the UK, you will find that the majority, nearly everyone, of publicans do NOT want smoking banned in their establishments. They wanted the right to chose whether they would ban it themselves. The smoking ban has taken away their freedom to chose who they want as clientelle and a hell of a lot of them have gone bust.

I would have thought it quite simple for govts to just change the law to allow a bar owner the choice to either allow or disallow smoking. The choice would be theirs and the choice to go to those bars would be ours.

I forgot to add that here in oz they are about to bring in 'plain packaging'. Like that is going to stop people smoking.

I have 1 brother that smokes, he told me that the problem he has with buying smokes is that the nicotine or tar content (something like that) is now not shown on the packet. I'm not sure exactly the amounts but will use general amounts to indicate...............He used to smoke 14 but considered them too strong so only bought 8's (I hope that makes sense). But then the govt removed that information from the packets, so now he has no idea how strong his smokes are.

He considers it ridiculous because, you go to a doctor and say that you insist on smoking. Would a doctor say that it is better to smoke a 1 or a 14 smoke. Obviously the 1 would not be as bad for you. I also understand a lot of people who wanted to give it up would reduce from the 14 slowly down to the 1 so that giving up wouldn't be such a difficult task.

But no, the govt decides that smokers now cannot know how strong their smokes are so a lot of them could in fact be doing more harm to themselves than they could otherwise be doing by smoking the weaker stuff.

It all boils down to freedom to choose and whether governments should be making such decisions for us. Personally I don't like it....let the people decide....

If say 75% of people are non smoking then make 75% of bars non smoking. How many people think that would work?

For me there's more of a link with say heavy drinking and smoking that means you'd probably find at least 75% of bars want at least an area for smokers.

Nice of the non smokers to care so much for our health though.

ESB7: 'Gullivers at Kho Sarn has suffered tremendously since the ban came in, place is always empty...so if bars wish to pander to the needs of the non smokers, let it be!!!'

Gullivers have got a dedicated smoking room. so what's the problem.

What you suggest has some merit Smokie, kind of guessed you might be a smoker, however I have a number of friends that smoke as I'm sure you have friends that don't, and quite often we go out for a drink together, every smoker I know is considerate and doesn't mind "popping out for a fag", so I don't really see the need to segregate smokers and non-smokers into different establishments.

The majority of smokers are indeed considerate, and whilst the earlier comment of something like "I will pop down there tonight and light up" was probably said in jest, it is indicitive of the very small percentage of smokers who have a selfish attitude.

Owners of such establishments are caught between a rock and a hard place, smokers who cannot even be bothered to go outside for a smoke will complain they are being picked on, whilst non-smokers will want to drink in a smoke free environment and have an expectation that the law will be respected. These bars are in business to make a profit, the General Manager of the Landmark once told me that his decision to ignore the law was a commercial decision, even though they are liable for a fine of 20,000 Baht for every smoker caught, however The Londoner, who has complied with the law from day 1, is normally pretty busy - in fact I saw the manager of The Huntsman in the Londoner recently checking it out.

As I have said before I think the anti smoking regulations have probably gone to far, though I suspect they may get tougher, I have often seen smokers outside pubs in the UK, and have thought that if the smoking didn't kill them then the hypothermia might.

Edited by theoldgit

I think this may be taking it wayyyy to far.

I play golf, of course some smoke on the course. However, as you can drink on most of our courses that means they must abide by the liquor licencing laws. Therefore, 50% of the golf course must be smoke free. Smokers can only light up on even (or odd) holes.

Like that will make a difference. :D

Sometimes our nanny state goes by the letter of the law instead of the intent of the law.

Glad you guys are having this debate without me...:lol:

Likewise, glad the Huntsman has finally begun complying with the local smoking law....

I pretty much had written off the place as a customer, since I had to move mid-meal the last time I was there for a buffet when smokers landed at the table next to me...

BTW, thanks to OldGit for updating the info and status re the Huntsman.... It can be a pleasant, albeit slightly overpriced place to visit -- provided you don't have to breathe other people's smoke during your visit.

Glad you guys are having this debate without me...:lol:

Likewise, glad the Huntsman has finally begun complying with the local smoking law....

I pretty much had written off the place as a customer, since I had to move mid-meal the last time I was there for a buffet when smokers landed at the table next to me...

BTW, thanks to OldGit for updating the info and status re the Huntsman.... It can be a pleasant, albeit slightly overpriced place to visit -- provided you don't have to breathe other people's smoke during your visit.

Did wonder if you might chip in at some stage :rolleyes:

Slightly off topic, but in response to your comment on price, they have reduced the price of the Sunday Roast to 490 Baht. Slightly reduced some of the extras they used to have in the buffet but have retained everything you might typically associate with a Sunday Lunch, and it's now available until 20.00. If you are Landmark Club member there is a 20% discount and you get a free drink, pretty good at 392 Baht for a decent roast dinner and a pint, it was packed last Sunday