Airport On Kp ..... Coming Soon ?

This is going to raise a few eyebrows, especially on Koh Phangan..... where the debate of an airport or not, has being going on for years...

I first heard it from a Resort owner, on Saturday, then shall we say an "influential family member on KP", that between now and December, an airport is going to be built....

Where the "stories" differed was location, first was unbelievably near Ton Nai Pan ...(not even a good cement road there, well at least not all the way! The cement part coming own to Ban Tai is a bit of a "white knuckle" drive, for sure.... )

The second a location I had never heard of, but on a plateau more or less in the middle of the island, his finger pointing to the east, of where the conversation took place....and then pointing at a map, somewhere in the middle... (still no road!!!) :o

Further to that, it is not going to be for large jets, but for smaller planes...at least from what I could gather......... So probably not Bangkok Airways!:D

Very interesting...... anyone else heard any thing?????

maybe it will be called pig airways as thats when i will believe. When pigs fly .

they were going to build a gov. airport in lipa noi about 7 years ago. ( taking their time )

The mayor announced there was a demand for a govement airport. That was about 2 years ago.

probably a sceem to put the land price up. Then drop once nothing gets built

I've heard these rumors for years, last one they actually did a feasibility study and found that the soil wasn't stable enough for a runway.

Thong Nai Pan, where would it land? There's no flat areas there.

Middle of the island is National Park.

I've heard these rumors for years, last one they actually did a feasibility study and found that the soil wasn't stable enough for a runway.

Neither sources were under the "influence".... I just found it strange that I would get the "story" .....perhaps?.... by two unrelated parties, within two days....

I've only been into Thong Nai Pan, by boat, so not seen inland, but had the feeling it seemed like a strange location...

Interesting I did not know the centre of the Island was all National Park... I have walked through parts of the southern end, trails....

We'll see if Pigs do fly! :D or not!

Besides the soil issue,

there is the intractable issue of flyways and air rights.

Samui's airport flights go over Koh Phagnan hourly and no matter how the winds blow, and there is not internationally approvable distance between the airports to POSSIBLY allow more than a heliport, and maybe not that.

Even if the hypothetical Samui Second airport were to become reality, and that would mean Samui Airport would have to close for the SAME air rights issues, it is STILL TOO CLOSE.

Edited by animatic

And, believe me, KPG is better without an airport. After 11 years living here still do not cease to amaze me how the island is beautiful, diverse and in a big part undiscovered. :wub:

Already the local Kophanganers are doing as much as possible to ruin the island (see Haad Rin, Haad Yao etc) but the construction of an airport would be the coup de grace. :(

Besides the soil issue,

Samui's airport flights go over Koh Phagnan hourly and no matter how the winds blow, and there is not internationally approvable distance between the airports to POSSIBLY allow more than a heliport, and maybe not that.

Even if the hypothetical Samui Second airport were to become reality, and that would mean Samui Airport would have to close for the SAME air rights issues, it is STILL TOO CLOSE.

as much as i'd like to see more airlines and flights come into the area, this is not true by any international standard. every airport has a space around it that looks like a massive upside down wedding cake, tier after tier, starting small and low and getting larger and higher as it goes up. samui and phangan are nowhere near close enough to prevent two airports from operating in the same space. if that were the case, southern california wouldn't have more than lax. if they were any closer it still wouldn't matter, it would just mean that you talk to more than one tower on your approach and landing and that isn't unusual, it happens nearly every time you fly. you could have one airport in chaweng and another in mae nam if you wanted to.

if they can build an airport in a swamp in bangkok they can build one anywhere. i reckon Bangkok airways has too much money. i bet they pay people to not build airports.

sorry i am not accussing i am just imagining.

if i am too close to the truth then i might be found floating in the the sea. lol.

anyway i don't think they can what some small internet chat user thinks.

so if u find me dead in the sea. they blame BBK airways. just blame them amyway then i could rest in peace

Besides the soil issue,

Joe is 100% right.

You are incorrect.

Providing safe Air Traffic separation can be established there is NO minimum distance laid down for the establishment of an airport.

Eg. Heathrow - Northolt/Gatwick/London City etc.

Paris De Gaulle - Orly/Le Bourget etc.

The list is endless.

On a small scale, the seaplane that was here a few years ago had Civil Aviation Approval to operate into Bang Rak Bay in front of

the Big Buddah which was dirctly under the flight path of Samui Airport and a couple of hundred meters from the runway threshold. The only criteria was that the seaplane would always be in contact and under control of the Airport Tower whilst in the Saumi Air Traffic zone which is 5 Nautical Mile Radius centered on the Airport.

In any case there would be no need for a new airport if 24 hour operations were to be permitted and a small runway re-alignment with extra Take off distance allowed. 24 Hour operations would have to happen in any case for a new International Airport.

Anyway why ruin Phangan, nothing to do with elections perchance?

Gator

Besides the soil issue,

Joe is 100% right.

You are incorrect.

Providing safe Air Traffic separation can be established there is NO minimum distance laid down for the establishment of an airport.

The list is endless.

On a small scale, the seaplane that was here a few years ago had Civil Aviation Approval to operate into Bang Rak Bay in front of

the Big Buddah which was dirctly under the flight path of Samui Airport and a couple of hundred meters from the runway threshold. The only criteria was that the seaplane would always be in contact and under control of the Airport Tower whilst in the Saumi Air Traffic zone which is 5 Nautical Mile Radius centered on the Airport.

In any case there would be no need for a new airport if 24 hour operations were to be permitted and a small runway re-alignment with extra Take off distance allowed. 24 Hour operations would have to happen in any case for a new International Airport.

Gator

well well well. 25 years ago i got my pilots license so that i could be a bus driver in the sky. it's nice to know that all of that training is still paying dividends on anonymous message boards.

as for the elections angle, i would guess it's more related to the timeless "pump and dump" stock or real estate trade. possibilities for an airport are sure to draw out the greed in most people who have been sitting on the sidelines or taken themselves out of the game for a variety of reasons, deflating the r/e market.

what they really need are passenger balloons, these people are full of hot air.

Besides the soil issue,

Joe is 100% right.

You are incorrect.

The list is endless.

Gator

well well well. 25 years ago i got my pilots license so that i could be a bus driver in the sky. it's nice to know that all of that training is still paying dividends on anonymous message boards.

as for the elections angle, i would guess it's more related to the timeless "pump and dump" stock or real estate trade. possibilities for an airport are sure to draw out the greed in most people who have been sitting on the sidelines or taken themselves out of the game for a variety of reasons, deflating the r/e market.

what they really need are passenger balloons, these people are full of hot air.

areas and tiers are called zones, well went i wen through all my training they were and as long as your talking to the ATC in that zone you can fly through it. leicester and burnaston have to talk to EMA but can use there zones. its one of those roumors like 2nd Samui airport that goes around and around, year after year. everybody who moved to Samui new the airline were a rip off, but still choose to go and live there so live with it. as for th eelections that area is as yellow as it gets, if a monkey stood for parliament it would win, hang on who is present incumbent

........ everybody who moved to Samui new the airline were a rip off, but still choose to go and live there so live with it..........

thats it!

Agree, but what does that have to do with the remote possibility of

a new airport at Koh Phangan??

........ everybody who moved to Samui new the airline were a rip off, but still choose to go and live there so live with it..........

thats it!

Agree, but what does that have to do with the remote possibility of

a new airport at Koh Phangan??

I disagree. When I moved here 11 years ago, flights were a reasonable price.

However, :offtopic::sorry:

that has to be the stupidest thing i have ever herd. So if i go some where and i get ripped off in that place by a company then it is my fault if i choose to stay living in that place.

Thats like saying i moved to spain settled down. then someone sold me a dodgey time share and it is my fault for chosing to move to a holiday destination where they sell time sheres.

like also saying if you buy a plane ticket and the plane crashes then it is your fault because planes crash all the time.

As for it being too close. in New york they have 3 airports within 5 kms of each other,

as long as they establish a flight pattern i don't think that there is a problem.

someone i know who used to be a pilot told me that SE asia has some of the best pilots in the business.