Parrot Fish Filet

bangkokburning

A lot of the grouper you see on sale in Thailand is actually farmed. Most of the marine parks I've been too are just as heavily fished as outside. The only place I've been too that reliably has huge reef fish is Koh Tao, where there are enough dive boats present to keep them at bay.

Before last year you could see a fair number of grouper in the NPs. Now, only the massive, old and really clever have survived. Seems like I only see the huge ones or fish well under 1 kg. While they do exist in the NPs, its so common to see fish traps operating (not just broken ones floating in) within the parks now. I excuse the Mokken. Adang they fish off long line along the reef of Adang as well.

My hunch is the Parrot Fish get pulled up in the trawl net. Yeah, lovely trawling thru reef yes? TiT.

I heard there was some decent reef at the NP on Lanta, all but destroyed by trawlers.

Thailand gets most of its fish from Myanmar, Cambo and Vietnam anyway...

Shame what they have done.

It really is a sad state of affairs. I did a topic on what I love about Thailand on the general forum, and I touched on the problem of commercial fishermen encroaching on the coral reefs in National Parks. In the past 15 years I have seen a serious decline in the coral reefs and the fish that inhabit them. It is still lovely to a new comer, but anyone who has been around for a while has seen the changes for the worse. I agree that the trawlers are the worst for destruction. I'd hate to see Thailand go the way of the Philippines, but it seems to be headed that way.