Thai PM Abhisit 'Very Optimistic' About Winning Election

webfact

Thai PM 'very optimistic' about winning election

JAKARTA, June 13, 2011 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said in Jakarta on Monday that he was "very optimistic" about winning next month's general election.

"We've had very good responses... and I think the Thai people want to move the country forward. They want to see stability and they want to see their problems addressed," he told a news conference at the World Economic Forum on East Asia in the Indonesian capital.

While the election campaign has not been smooth, it has been "orderly", Abhisit said.

"If you were in Thailand maybe a couple of months ago, there's so much speculation about whether elections could actually be held. But if you're in Thailand now, nobody is questioning that," he added.

Abhisit is in the midst of a tough electoral battle against former premier Thaksin Shinawatra's allies in the Puea Thai party, who want an amnesty for politicians who have been charged or convicted if they win the July 3 vote.

Thaksin's youngest sister, political newcomer Yingluck Shinawatra, is Puea Thai's candidate for prime minister, underscoring her brother's ongoing role in Thailand's fractured political landscape.

Her arrival on the scene has reinvigorated an opposition that just weeks ago appeared rudderless, with polls showing her party pulling ahead of Abhisit's establishment-backed Democrats.

A Puea Thai victory could pave the way for the return of Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption. He is also charged with terrorism in relation to unrest in Bangkok last year.

Abhisit warned that an amnesty would be a threat to Thailand stability.

"We don't believe that's the country's priority, we don't believe that's the people's priorities. It can only cause more trouble, controversy and instability," he said.

Oxford-educated Abhisit came to power at the end of 2008 in a parliamentary vote and is accused by critics of having no popular mandate.

Thaksin, a former telecoms tycoon, is hailed by many rural and working-class Thais for his populist policies but loathed by the Bangkok-based elite which sees him as corrupt, authoritarian and a threat to the monarchy.

Protests by his "Red Shirt" supporters led to Thailand's worst civil violence in decades last April and May, in which more than 90 people died in clashes between the opposition street movement and security forces.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-06-13

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of these PTP noises off who post on Tv dont know what Democracy is. Maybe they dont know about laws, Their hero, who runs away from his own country, convicted corrupt and many Thais say he is not really "Thai".

Go back to your UDD red holes and spout .

Slate as much as you want folks. But remember that these polls have observers. It's gonna be even more difficult to convince the world of your democratic credentials of UDD/PT when you have more protests after the elections should you loose.

I don't think he got a chance to win,and much prefer the Lady to get it.Thailand needs a women in Powerjap.gif

Yeah, I'm sure having a female Shinawatra billionaire will be a big change from having a male Shinawatra billionaire

he's gotta be joking.

he's been out played by the"evil one".

He would of had a much better chance if hed gone ahead with the elections in november which the evil one turned down.

And u can see why he turned dem down now.

So when "the evil one" sent his local-leaders & their followers onto the streets last year, he was only 'playing', despite the cost in lives, and disruption to the economy ? How cynical that would have been, to be demanding an immediate election, when he always thought that his party would do better this year instead, and didn't even want an election last year, as you argue.

Some might regard that as yet-another reason, why "the evil one" should not be allowed to return to power, despite any positive effects he might have had, a decade ago. And they might applaud PM-Abhisit, for trying to stand-up to him, and move the country forwards instead. B)

As always - out of touch with reality.

With 30-50% of people still undecided, he should feel optimistic about it. There's still 20 days to go before the election. Plenty of time to swing the fence sitters.

Viewing Thai politics through international media every time Abhisit speaks he comes across as reasonable, sensible, articulate and honest (ok so it's an election and everyone is going tp talk up their chances), every time you here Thaksin speak he comes across as sniveling, victimized, flippant or confrontational. Setting aside the character assassinations that both men have had tp weather, there can be no doubt who the better man is, even if the votes recognize who the better politician is!

I constantly hear Abhisit described as "Oxford educated", what has this got to do with the price of eggs? Pun intended :lol:

Most of my friends and relatives are Oxford educated, they still have their fair share of idiots.

I'm not saying Abhisit is an idiot, but being Oxford educated does not make him a genius either.

Sadly I feel it unlikely that Abhisit will return to his position. This would be a sad day for Thailand as a whole.

What the people here don't understand is that the world of politics moves slowly, and sometimes without rhyme or reason. The government can't just bribe their way through their term. They can't just buy their votes and then be expected to do their jobs with integrity or honesty.

The, so called, plan by the PTP or even a suggestion that this party will instigate a law that will absolve previous politicians of their misdoings should, by all rights, scare the living crap out of the people. Should such a law be passed then there is simply no hope for Thailand, ever. This will make the politicians well above the law, and add nuclear fuel to the already rampant disregard for rules, laws and reason.

Should the PTP win the vote and subsequently bring in this new rule, Thailand will also have a massive economic issue to deal with. Should such a law be passed then the flow on effect from this will be distrust within the world economy, a fall in the Thai bart, and as a natural follow on a massive increase of unemployment for the people. Thailand will become the world's newest Burma.

People of Thailand, please don't let this happen. The offer of a 3,000 bart tablet computer isn't worth it for your country.

I don't think he got a chance to win,and much prefer the Lady to get it.Thailand needs a women in Powerjap.gif

How do you work that out? Just curious.

I pray that the Democrats can muster enough votes to form an alliance with the 'middle parties'.

If a Shinawatra gets in then god help us all!!! If Maggie Thatcher is anything to go by then we DON"T need a woman in power in Thailand. She wouldn't even be in power in the true sense of the word as her elder brother would take over immediately once his obscene amnesty is granted.

I fear that there are too many people like 'foxteen' out there that probably lack the common sense to see what's happening and will misguidedly

cast their vote in favour of a bunch of criminals that not too long ago were intent on burning their capital city down simply in an effort to try to force Abhisit out!!!

If only people would sit down and think for a couple of minutes about what their vote REALLY means for Thailand and for THEM ultimately, if the truth be known, but I just know this ain't gonna happen whilst there are the 'foxteen's of the world out there in the midst putting their little "red" crosses on that piece of paper only to regret it later when Thaksin shows his true colours (and it ain't necessarily red):unsure:

I constantly hear Abhisit described as "Oxford educated", what has this got to do with the price of eggs? Pun intended :lol:

Most of my friends and relatives are Oxford educated, they still have their fair share of idiots.

I'm not saying Abhisit is an idiot, but being Oxford educated does not make him a genius either.

Yes.

Yes.

"most of my friends are Oxford educated"

Please tell me you LIVE in Oxford!!!!

Posts have been removed from view.

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

Sadly I feel it unlikely that Abhisit will return to his position. This would be a sad day for Thailand as a whole.

What the people here don't understand is that the world of politics moves slowly, and sometimes without rhyme or reason. The government can't just bribe their way through their term. They can't just buy their votes and then be expected to do their jobs with integrity or honesty.

The, so called, plan by the PTP or even a suggestion that this party will instigate a law that will absolve previous politicians of their misdoings should, by all rights, scare the living crap out of the people. Should such a law be passed then there is simply no hope for Thailand, ever. This will make the politicians well above the law, and add nuclear fuel to the already rampant disregard for rules, laws and reason.

Should the PTP win the vote and subsequently bring in this new rule, Thailand will also have a massive economic issue to deal with. Should such a law be passed then the flow on effect from this will be distrust within the world economy, a fall in the Thai bart, and as a natural follow on a massive increase of unemployment for the people. Thailand will become the world's newest Burma.

People of Thailand, please don't let this happen. The offer of a 3,000 bart tablet computer isn't worth it for your country.

Precisely!!!

Also, an OFFER is all it will ever be and like all of Shinawatra's past failed policies that didn't do the Thai people justice this would just be another one (if it ever came into being, that is), which is dubious to the extreme.

Empty promises in order to get that foot in the door!!! That's what you'll get up until July 3rd and then after, they will all jumble together and disappear to Never Never land with all the fairies until the next time comes around!!!

The, so called, plan by the PTP or even a suggestion that this party will instigate a law that will absolve previous politicians of their misdoings should, by all rights, scare the living crap out of the people. Should such a law be passed then there is simply no hope for Thailand, ever.

Could someone explain to me why any amnesty now is so bad, but the amnesty for the Generals and other parties who started a coup is fine?

In many countries taking power by gun is considered bad form and will get you a long stretch in prison.

In Thailand one of the coup members was appointed by the current government to be commander of chief of the army

i think it does in this country

i think he would be in the top one...........

The, so called, plan by the PTP or even a suggestion that this party will instigate a law that will absolve previous politicians of their misdoings should, by all rights, scare the living crap out of the people. Should such a law be passed then there is simply no hope for Thailand, ever.

Could someone explain to me why any amnesty now is so bad, but the amnesty for the Generals and other parties who started a coup is fine?

In many countries taking power by gun is considered bad form and will get you a long stretch in prison.

In Thailand one of the coup members was appointed by the current government to be commander of chief of the army

surely that appointment speaks for itself...........

Viewing Thai politics through international media every time Abhisit speaks he comes across as reasonable, sensible, articulate and honest (ok so it's an election and everyone is going tp talk up their chances), every time you here Thaksin speak he comes across as sniveling, victimized, flippant or confrontational. Setting aside the character assassinations that both men have had tp weather, there can be no doubt who the better man is, even if the votes recognize who the better politician is!

And... who is the better man then? you dint make that clear!

I think Abhisit is the better man and the better politician, but Rural Thais don't use either criteria when they vote!

Abhisit is unlikely to be saying "we have no chance" is he?

Although it certainly looks like that government democratically elected by the people will not include his party,at least until the military and elites decide who they actually want in power.

A PT win brings on a likely coup scenario to go with the other 17 over the past 80 years. Interesting times ahead indeed.

Who said amnesty for the coup junta was fine?

Surely the people that complain most about the coup and the amnesty of the coup generals, shouldn't be putting forward a policy of amnesty themselves, should they?