Well Known Discounted Air Line

toenail

Get used to it only getting worse. Seems I recently read an article about them re-introducing the fuel surcharge on international flights. The Thai government banned fuel surcharges on domestic flights about a year ago. Some official from Air Asia said they would be pushing the ancillary products and services harder to try to make up profitability lost due to higher fuel prices.

My thought is to just knock off hustling and huckstering all the extra crap they're pushing, and just raise the fares if necessary. Transparency . . . what a concept!

You don't think a savvy business man like Tony Fernandez would just put up the fare prices to cover the extra fuel costs rather than 'lose profitability'????

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get used to it only getting worse. Seems I recently read an article about them re-introducing the fuel surcharge on international flights. The Thai government banned fuel surcharges on domestic flights about a year ago. Some official from Air Asia said they would be pushing the ancillary products and services harder to try to make up profitability lost due to higher fuel prices.

My thought is to just knock off hustling and huckstering all the extra crap they're pushing, and just raise the fares if necessary. Transparency . . . what a concept!

Ref: Fuel surcharge ban on domestic flights.

I guess Solar Air don't know about this ban.

I was thinking of booking with Air Asia for an upcoming jolly to Hong Kong.

Now I am put right off the idea.

So if not them, can anybody suggest the next best/cheapest option? (BKK-HK return)

No point to listen to people on here complaining about things like this. just look at the spelling mistakes in their message, they obviously cannot read or write english and are probably to old to understand computers and the internet. Airasia are one of the best airlines i've ever flown with. Good value, comfortable seating and hot cabin crew, what more do you need? all low cost airlines use this type of booking system now. Just try the big western companies and the price will always double from the original quote.

So if not them, can anybody suggest the next best/cheapest option? (BKK-HK return)

No point to listen to people on here complaining about things like this. just look at the spelling mistakes in their message, they obviously cannot read or write english and are probably to old to understand computers and the internet. Airasia are one of the best airlines i've ever flown with. Good value, comfortable seating and hot cabin crew, what more do you need? all low cost airlines use this type of booking system now. Just try the big western companies and the price will always double from the original quote.

Compared with other low-cost airlines in Thailand, A.As. booking process requires a bit more attention to detail. But, of course, they offer many more destinations than the others. Just tread carefully thro the process when booking on-line, and you should end up with the best available deal.

Pot > Kettle > Black

AA site is a bit of a trick, but I can now use my SCB ATM card online so I am stoked on that.

BKKBURNING,

I have always used an Australian Visa card. Can you elaborate on the use of the SCB ATM card please? What do I have to do in order to use my SCB ATM card for inet bookings? thanks.

I've booked enough tickets with Air Asia that i can click through their website as quickly as with any other airline.

YMMV and others can feel free to pay full fare airlines.

That's what I thought after 100 or more Air Asia flights, until I managed to get stung with a 250 baht comfort kit on a return leg only. I still don't know how it happened, so stay alert and don't get too blase when using their site.

AA site is a bit of a trick, but I can now use my SCB ATM card online so I am stoked on that.

BKKBURNING,

I have always used an Australian Visa card. Can you elaborate on the use of the SCB ATM card please? What do I have to do in order to use my SCB ATM card for inet bookings? thanks.

According to the AA Web you actually pay by using a one off direct debit, not a debit card, it actually says:

Note: Ownership of a debit card does not quantify use of the direct debit online payment. You must have a valid online banking account to proceed. Once you've selected your bank, you'll be automatically connected to the online banking log-in screen. Failure to complete the online transaction will result in your booking being cancelled.

Pot > Kettle > Black

That was my thought as well, quite why he thought it worthy of a first post, after being a member for a little while.

"they obviously cannot read or write english and are probably to old to understand" (sic)

- just in case you don't understand why people are calling you a pot Mr Caterall!

Well yes, Air Asia and their ilk do "gouge" the punters with website add ons - mostly you can deselect the BS [convenience charge anyone?] after some familiarisation. But, it still p's me off when I am in a hurry and need to organise a flight like-right-f'n-now! [unfortunately a regular occurrence].

However, [and probably due to differing revenue management algorithms] I have found when looking at booking late thru AA etc, it is worth checking the real carriers, especially if you need to check in bags etc: quite often you can fly with a free beer or ten in a safer and more relaxed environment.....

Oh yeah, some of the Air Asia chicks are hot - but check you priorities at the gate!:jap:

I always seem to manage to book the flights I want with the luggage I want and the seats I want without being lumbered with any superfluous charges. What am I doing wrong?

are you thai ?.

air asia , are greedy.

i checked in on a udon -bkk flight ,

with no luggage at all ,not even hand luggage.

the guy in front of me with his family,

was charged big time, for excess ,he was almost in tears.

when i asked for a refund because my fare included 7 kilo luggage allowance,

i was told , we cannot give refund. :jap:

have used air asia many times before, but jumping thru so many hoops today on website to de-select all the extras i DONT require that are auto added hot seat , insurance,comfort kit etc, i finally gave up at a convenience fee to pay with a debit ca rd !!

booked bangkok airways instead, website 10 x simpler/quicker and 500 baht cheaper for a single trip to phuket !!

always other options online.

If these people can't spell or write probably or being old folks.....just guide them not discourage them..

BTW AirAsia caters to my needs...just hope they have more destinations..

I flew with them to Hong Kong at Christmas. With all the extras I paid for (through necessity, not coercion) I could have flown Emirates and had a better schedule. That is exactly what I will do next time.

I always seem to manage to book the flights I want with the luggage I want and the seats I want without being lumbered with any superfluous charges. What am I doing wrong?

are you thai ?.

air asia , are greedy.

No, I'm English. I just make sure I'm only booking the facilities I want on the website. All LCCs are greedy - that's how they make their money. You just have to play them at their own game. Think yourself lucky you don't fly on Ryanair on a regular basis. They make AirAsia look like saints.

are you thai ?.

air asia , are greedy.

No, I'm English. I just make sure I'm only booking the facilities I want on the website. All LCCs are greedy - that's how they make their money. You just have to play them at their own game. Think yourself lucky you don't fly on Ryanair on a regular basis. They make AirAsia look like saints.

If Air Asia are the cheapest carrier to my destination I book my tickets with them, if they're not, I don't, I book with the cheaper airline.

What's so difficult to understand?

I have been more than satisfied with Air Asia.. 100bt fares to Phnom Penh and Krabi, and 200bt to Vietnam. I just initially book the journey (fare + airport tax) and deal with seating and baggage nearer the time.

If you have a Siam Commercial Bank debit card, no convenience fee is charged.

There are a number of Air Asia shops here in Chiang Mai, I went in to one recently and the fare quoted was seven thousand Baht more than a booking on the internet, in fact considerably more than on Thai airways. How do they sell tickets at these shops when the price is higher than on full service airlines? I went home an spent hours booking A/A on line, the first time I have been succesfull ever, it seems my dealings with Bangkok Bank re how to pay using a debit card finally paid off.

AirAsia is an online or telephone booking operation. These shops are not owned or operated by AirAsia regardless of how expensive LOOKING their sign boards.

I used to fly with Jet Star/AA a lot , I don't think that they even pretend to give value for money....seat spacing is for dieting biafrens and the food isn't fit to be called swill. Of course I'm upset, everyone is jampacked in, getting booked in is always a problem and the waiting area is away in the boonies and does the lower (not cheap) price mean that all products sold on the airline come at a premium price??

Bah! Humbug! A pox on all their houses!

Let me see... BKK-SIN same day round-trip for personal business, no checked bags, booking at short notice.

I can pay around 700 US for a Thai or Singapore Air seats or 6000 baht for AirAsia or JetStar seats.

No contest!

Edited by NanLaew

Yes, their (air asia) website is such a hassle, I now do the following:

If they are running a great deal, (usually 6 months advance purchase) I now go to my travel agent who charges me about 200 baht to make the deal.

I just can't put up with the hassle of the credit cards they won't take and the extras they insist on putting on there.

If I must fly on shorter notice, I have found that Nok air is not much more money.

Last time I flew with them, it was 300 baht more than AA.

$10 in savings is definitely not worth the hassle of their BS.

Someone on here once told me that I must be one of the few as their numbers are hitting new records.

Well, after reading this thread, I believe they could expand those records a lot more if they just paid someone a few thousand baht to fix their website.

It is wise to compare too. I once flew Singapore to Bangkok round trip. It was $25 more to fly Thai Airways Business Class than it was to fly Air Asia. I gladly paid the difference and it changed the whole mood of my trip. Admittedly it was short notice, but most of my travel is. In Europe, as for Ryanair, spare me! I only travel with them if there is absolutely no alternative - complete rip off, headache during the flight with all the selling of products and nasty website. Personally I dislike all the add-on costs and I like to enjoy the experience of flying with the minimum of fuss. The airlines appear to be clamping down on the cabin baggage now with weight so most people will need to check a bag anyway. If you are traveling in Europe with Ryanair be warned, as I understand they are re-checking your carry on bag at the boarding gates before they let you on. Anything you purchase in the airport needs to go into the one bag and still meet their weigh limit and the size limit.

Do try Ethiopian Air. Inexpensive, Great service, nice energy on board...

Yes, their (air asia) website is such a hassle, I now do the following:

If they are running a great deal, (usually 6 months advance purchase) I now go to my travel agent who charges me about 200 baht to make the deal.

I just can't put up with the hassle of the credit cards they won't take and the extras they insist on putting on there.

If I must fly on shorter notice, I have found that Nok air is not much more money.

Last time I flew with them, it was 300 baht more than AA.

$10 in savings is definitely not worth the hassle of their BS.

Someone on here once told me that I must be one of the few as their numbers are hitting new records.

Well, after reading this thread, I believe they could expand those records a lot more if they just paid someone a few thousand baht to fix their website.

You reckon an airline that has such slick operations as Air Asia and such a feted CEO doesn't know that their website is difficult to use and results in people paying more than they intended?

It is wise to compare too. I once flew Singapore to Bangkok round trip. It was $25 more to fly Thai Airways Business Class than it was to fly Air Asia. I gladly paid the difference and it changed the whole mood of my trip. Admittedly it was short notice, but most of my travel is. In Europe, as for Ryanair, spare me! I only travel with them if there is absolutely no alternative - complete rip off, headache during the flight with all the selling of products and nasty website. Personally I dislike all the add-on costs and I like to enjoy the experience of flying with the minimum of fuss. The airlines appear to be clamping down on the cabin baggage now with weight so most people will need to check a bag anyway. If you are traveling in Europe with Ryanair be warned, as I understand they are re-checking your carry on bag at the boarding gates before they let you on. Anything you purchase in the airport needs to go into the one bag and still meet their weigh limit and the size limit.

Ryanair offer a generous 10kg hand luggage allowance. Easyjet; no hand luggage weight limit at all. Just a size limit and the requirement that you can lift the thing in to the overhead locker.

If the low cost airlines sold every seat at 10 baht, they would not make any money. So the smart utilise them at their best value.. It is annoying having to deal with the extra charges, but you have to adapt or die.

Same here!. Have booked many times with Air Asia, and have found no problems with their booking system, usually takes about 15 minutes and have never been trapped with the extra add-ons they sell. Have even managed to upgrade my baggage rate for a return journey with no problems, then lost the print out, and still had no problems with the check in.

Have found them to be a competent and easily dealt with company. Maybe there is something wrong with me too.

If you have trouble with this kind of booking system, then spend the extra money and time and go to a travel agent, let them do it.

a well-known discounted airline currently has a range of flights at from 590 baht (plus usual fees, airport tax etc which always apply) for people who plan in advance, flights Sept 6 - Nov 16

Obviously another cunning plot to rob people

from 590b

- Fly from Bangkok to: Chiang Rai Chiang Mai Ubon Ratchathani Udon Thani Phuket Nakhon Si Thammarat Krabi Surat Thani Narathiwat Phnom Penh Yangon Penang Hanoi Ho Chi Minh City Singapore Delhi Kolkata Guangzhou Shenzhen

- Fly from Phuket to: Udon Thani Ubon Ratchathani Singapore Hong Kong Bali

-Fly from Chiang Mai to: Phuket Hat Yai Singapore

Edited by Atmos

a well-known discounted airline currently has a range of flights at from 590 baht (plus usual fees, airport tax etc which always apply) for people who plan in advance, flights Sept 6 - Nov 16

Obviously another cunning plot to rob people

from 590b

- Fly from Bangkok to: Chiang Rai Chiang Mai Ubon Ratchathani Udon Thani Phuket Nakhon Si Thammarat Krabi Surat Thani Narathiwat Phnom Penh Yangon Penang Hanoi Ho Chi Minh City Singapore Delhi Kolkata Guangzhou Shenzhen

- Fly from Phuket to: Udon Thani Ubon Ratchathani Singapore Hong Kong Bali

-Fly from Chiang Mai to: Phuket Hat Yai Singapore

Is that on their website? Can't see it anywhere.