Visa Runs

Complainers about the exchange rate: Please specify who or what you are complaining about. The Thai government floated the Thai Baht famously in 1997, would you wish to return to a managed/pegged currency?

Or are you just complaining for complaining's sake, like you would complain about the weather?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maestro: Very well said about the visa runs. Nobody is obliged to do it, and if people want to stay in the country for more than 90 days, there are reasons to extend the permission to stay.

For all the complainers: Name one country in the western world that allows you stay stay indefinitely on a tourist visa.

Thailand isn't the western world, so what's the point? There are countries with easier visa situations than Thailand in the world, such as Cambodia, the Philippines, Argentina, etc.

"Nobody is obliged to do it, and if people want to stay in the country for more than 90 days, there are reasons to extend the permission to stay"

I don't think anyone would argue with that logic, but you're missing a major point -- What's the difference between a Thai Immigration office on the Cambodian or Lao border and your local office in Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc.? -- other than a few hundred kilometers in distance.

The renewal could just as easily be done locally as opposed to forcing people to travel a great distance - waste one day of their life and spend 2500 Baht or more to facilitate this silly outdated ritual.

Not only that, but Immigration could charge 2500 Baht for the "privilege" of renewing locally and create even another cash-cow for the Thai govt.

The fact that they DON'T do this is evidence that money is flowing under the table to people who have positioned themselves to take financial advantage of the process.

SurfRider, nothing is getting "renewed" here.

Also you do not seem to understand the difference between a visa and the permission to stay. What you are wishing for is already in effect. Every immigration office accepts applications for extension of stay, for 31 different reasons. See "Thai Police Order 777/2551 – basis for extension of stay"

As said above the visa allows you to appear for entry; not stay. The border/airport office accepts the visa for your entry from a foreign country and allows you the permitted stay. A visa entry can only be made from a foreign country. If you want to renew your stay you do not need another visa and you extend at an immigration office inside Thailand under the rules of police order 777/2551.

"nothing is getting "renewed" here."

I certainly wouldn't argue with your expertise on Thai visa regulations and I realize that "renewed" was not the proper technical term to use-- but my point was that Immigration should amend their regulations to allow the stamp to be placed in the passport at ANY immigration office, not ONLY a border office. Yes, I realize that you would not technically be entering from a foreign country and that requirement is what I think they should change.

Much in the same way they changed their regulations not long ago that required an Expat to go to a Thai consulate OUTSIDE of Thailand to obtain an "O" Visa, so it could be extended for retirement purposes by the Expat after he arrives in the country. It is my understanding that you can now convert a visa on arrival to an "O" visa INSIDE Thailand - then have it extended for retirement purposes - thus avoiding a trip to a consulate outside Thailand.

If they can make a change like that, I don't see why they can't make a similar change to eliminate the necessity of visa runs.

That is only allowed one time as a part of the extension of stay process.

A tourist or other visa being more than one entry does not make it for extension of stay. Two very different things.

Believe you want it to be like the Philippians where a tourist visa entry can be extended (for several years) with payments. There is no such provision under Thai regulations. That would just entail a new extension of stay provision rather than any change in handling of visas. Multi entry visas are designed for those making frequent trips - not for those extending there stay here.

the reason given to me,many years ago why one had to leave los every 90 days,was for tax purposes??????,something about the tax laws,urban myth,true,pom mia lua.tit

Not quite urban myth.

You have just reminded me that in the late 70s early 80s, you had to report to a tax office at BKK Airport, prior to departure.

This tax was levied, if you had been in Thailand for an extended period of time, possibly over 90 days, I can't quite remember.

The tax was calculated, on how many days you had resided in the LOS.

The office was situated was on the ground floor, adjacent to the main entrance.

<br />
<br />the reason given to me,many years ago why one had to leave los every 90 days,was for tax purposes??????,something about the tax laws,urban myth,true,pom mia lua.tit<br />
<br /><br /><br />Not quite urban myth.<br />You have just reminded me that in the late 70s early 80s, you had to report to a tax office at BKK Airport, prior to departure.<br />This tax was levied, if you had been in Thailand for an extended period of time, possibly over 90 days, I can't quite remember.<br />The tax was calculated, on how many days you had resided in the LOS.<br />The office was situated was on the ground floor, adjacent to the main entrance.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If you can't quite remember, you might want to read post #30 in this thread.

(I don't understand why people jump into a thread and post before having read all the previous postings.)

Edited by tombkk

<br />
<br />Maestro: Very well said about the visa runs. Nobody is obliged to do it, and if people want to stay in the country for more than 90 days, there are reasons to extend the permission to stay. <br /><br />For all the complainers: Name one country in the western world that allows you stay stay indefinitely on a tourist visa.<br />
<br />Thailand isn't the western world, so what's the point? There are countries with easier visa situations than Thailand in the world, such as Cambodia, the Philippines, Argentina, etc.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The point is that the complainers are usually westeners, but it is no easier for non-westeners to enter or stay for a long time in their countries. Why would they expect Thailand to make it easier for them to stay here long time than their countries making it easy for Thai people to stay there?

Fair is fair, and reciprocality is actuality a term applicable here.