Thai Mental Health Department Warns Of "Planking" Perils

webfact

Clean out the gene-pool.

Chlorine for the gene pool indeed. First you have to be dumb enough to find this fad amusing, and then take the extra step into idiocy to 'join the fun'.

Furryman, you must be way past your rebelious teen years and possibly even passed your sell by date especially if you can't understand that the kids do it because it is considered stupid by us so called grown-ups, also if the young believe that society frowns on the activity, they will do it even more, contrary to what the good Doctor thinks, who was obviously a goody two shoes when he was growing up. Don't misunderstand me, I don't condone the activity, as I understand there has been deaths and serious injuries due to it being taken to the extreme, however, in moderation I see no harm in it, but hey ho, who am I to say as I am allegedly one of those so called grown-ups.

Edited by robertson468

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religions Dept director-general to investigate picture of planking monk on Internet; says it violates monks' discipline /TAN_Network

Because nobody would be able to get their heads lower than his?

Now if the monks discover limbo dancing, that could be a laugh.

Priceless :cheesy:

Sounds like another ingenious Western import.

Sad non-entities, who have no idea what they are about, trying to become noticed and prove some sort of point. I think the term should be wanke_rs rather than plankers.

The only point they prove is their stupidity.

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Another post containing an inappropriate photo taking planking out of context has been removed.

"Apichai believes that the craze will soon fade away, especially if it is frowned upon by the society."

The craze will die a natural death, and sooner, especially if it is not given publicitiy. :whistling:

A 17 year old has already died here in Australia after he fell of a balcony, and another one left in a comer when he was planking on the roof of a car whilst in motion. It took all that for the phase to be not so cool anymore.

Lets hope it doesn't get to that in Thailand.

What is a comer? I think you mean Coma.And when you get idiots on tv like Sam Newman doing it no wonder.

My memory is failing, but wasn't there a movie about some college kids(?) lying down on a freeway?

People die from this planking:

A MAN who plunged to his death from a Brisbane 7th floor unit balcony was planking, and police fear it will not be the last death due to the craze.

Planking involves participants lying flat on their stomach in different and sometimes dangerous settings and sharing photographs of their efforts with fellow plankers.

Acton Beale, 20, fell from an inner-city unit block in Kangaroo Point's Main St and died at the scene shortly before 4.30am on Sunday.

{...}

The article doesn't say whether he had consumed any alcohol, so why would we assume that. If he did though, he doesn't even qualify for a Darwin Award.

I think he had consumed a fair bit of turps.

The latest planker in Thailand is none other than Chuwit Kamolsiwit, Parliamentary candidate for the No 5 party, and best known for his massage parlour businesses.

You can see the photo in an unmentionable newspaper, though he looks more like somebody who's been thrown by a mechanical bull.

A slow day at the Mental Health Department. :lol:

How about some pics of the staff at the Mental Health Department " Planking " to show this is just harmless fun, same as streaking was years ago.whistling.gif

The "planking position" would be perfect to administer a very large dose of IM Chlorpromazine to the plankers at The Mental Health Department, at least then they might not come out with such ridiculous statements, which seem to have very little relevance to Mental Health. <_<

Mental Health: Planking to die out eventually

BANGKOK, 18 June 2011 (NNT) – The Department of Mental Health has indicated that the now popular planking is just a trend among teenagers and young people who love challenges or want to catch attention of the public.

Mental Health Department Director-General Medical Doctor Apichai Mongkol believed that the planking trend among young people will die out soon if it is not restricted or banned because it is just a fashion to call for attention and excitement.

Medical Doctor Apichai explained that enjoyment derived from planking is similar to that of bungee jumping since the brain will release secretion of happiness. He noted that is the nature of man to stay away from boredom and seek new challenges.

The director-general has,however, warned that those who love to perform planking in risky places very often, such as high buildings and utility poles should consult psychiatrists.

The doctor at the same time suggested that parents should not prohibit their children from planking since it is just a fad which will die out in no time, but they instead should make sure that their children do not perform planking in dangerous places.

Planking, also known as face downs, was originated in Australia in 1997 and has since become popular. Plankers usually lie face down, similar to dead people, in unusual locations and have their photos taken and uploaded in the internet, usually in social network such as facebook.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-18 footer_n.gif

A slow day at the Mental Health Department. :lol:

Is their a real Mental Health Department? Which I doubt? Why bother this is to ridiculous.

Is their? Yes, 'there' is; and it's a lot whole saner than Western Mental Health establishments.

It permits people who are not insane to live on the streets, bathe in fountains and such like, sleep on the pavements and be kings of the road, even if they do struggle to live.

The West, as a general rule, locks such people away, (at great cost), pertaining they are a threat to society and an embarassment to such.

LOS locks away the real nutters, apart from the ones with stolen money who flee the country and buy football clubs etc ( ;) ), and pays for their welfare.

There is a vast difference in real freedom between LOS and the police estates of the Western world, in that what is necessary to really help somebody who is truly 'mentally ill', and not just a pain in the ass to daily lives of others, is assessed in a deliverable way of reconcile and free choice.

You are a guest in this country. It isn't your right to criticise it if you don't like it. In fact, if you don't like it why not sod off?

One day soon, judging by your inability to write accurately, you may well need the Mental Health section of LOS services. What will you do? Go home, because you don't think it is of a real service here?

Think, if possible, about what your thoughts and words that you type actually portray, before issuing dismissals and jokes about institutions of mental health sectors in countries in which you are a 'mere' guest.

-m.

This post also applies to all of the posters who take the pee out of Thailand. If you don't like it then 'go home', but maybe you've got nowhere else to go, Sar Tu!

Edited by Mikelom

Is their? Yes, 'there' is; and it's a lot whole saner than Western Mental Health establishments.

It permits people who are not insane to live on the streets, bathe in fountains and such like, sleep on the pavements and be kings of the road, even if they do struggle to live.

The West, as a general rule, locks such people away, (at great cost), pertaining they are a threat to society and an embarassment to such.

LOS locks away the real nutters, apart from the ones with stolen money who flee the country and buy football clubs etc ( ;) ), and pays for their welfare.

There is a vast difference in real freedom between LOS and the police estates of the Western world, in that what is necessary to really help somebody who is truly 'mentally ill', and not just a pain in the ass to daily lives of others, is assessed in a deliverable way of reconcile and free choice.

You are a guest in this country. It isn't your right to criticise it if you don't like it. In fact, if you don't like it why not sod off?

One day soon, judging by your inability to write accurately, you may well need the Mental Health section of LOS services. What will you do? Go home, because you don't think it is of a real service here?

Think, if possible, about what your thoughts and words that you type actually portray, before issuing dismissals and jokes about institutions of mental health sectors in countries in which you are a 'mere' guest.

-m.

This post also applies to all of the posters who take the pee out of Thailand. If you don't like it then 'go home', but maybe you've got nowhere else to go, Sar Tu!

Yawn.

And also very misinformed about the models of Mental Health care in the western world, but probably what you have read in the media.

Be interested to know of your "experiences" of both care models, as I'm certainly not convinced by a lot of the mental health care here, which actually does lock away a lot of people in old style institutions, and chemically restrains them.

Western Mental Health services, especially in the UK, have often taken a significant bashing in the press, but what most people fail to realise is that much of the care is very inventive, and most of the care is actually community based.

And no, I'm not going home (the usual argument of the person who has little to actually offer) -I do have somewhere to go - and I'm quite happy to laugh at the nonsense of this statement from the Mental Health department, which is quite frankly ridiculous. I'm pretty sure they have more important things to address.

True, planking is gaining popularity in Thailand.

We received yesterday a picture of someone planking on a crocodile !

Hey. It could have been foreplay. ;)

It could have been a katoey in a Lacoste sleeping bag.

There's a logical explanation for everything, if only you look with an open mind.

SC

Plank if you're board

Percactly.

My friend, a European, was waiting for me for a business appointment (he was early) and checked his Facebook account. One of his Facebook 'friends' is his Thai staff who had just posted herself planking in the office. So he called her: "Nothing to do?"

Well, I have no idea why people use Facebook at all. Planking is OK, looks like fun.

I want to ask why everybody is so against some advice. I have lived in Thailand a lot longer than my Thaivisa suggests. People have died planking, So when the Thai mental health whatever suggests something can people see maybe there is a bit of truth in it. But all you get here is people slagging them off. I think some of you posting have lived in Thailand too long and are stuck here. You hate the country and the people but you have nowhere else to go. Just my opinion and I expect to be shot down in flames for expressing it.

Plank if you're board

Percactly.

My friend, a European, was waiting for me for a business appointment (he was early) and checked his Facebook account. One of his Facebook 'friends' is his Thai staff who had just posted herself planking in the office. So he called her: "Nothing to do?"

Well, I have no idea why people use Facebook at all. Planking is OK, looks like fun.

If she's that busy, maybe she could plank in the job centre for a while until something more fulfilling came up.

SC

I thought that it is one if the silliest fads in recent history...

Then I saw the 'burger king?' photo posted on TV... and found it very funny.....

I guess thats what it's all about....

I wont be trying it, but find it funny nonetheless....

I have to admit I thought it was stupid as well but laughed at the same photo.

Had a fight the other night in a down town bar, after hitting the other guy in the face he went into involuntary planking, or was that spontaneous planking? :lol:

Purported, reported, and not supported planking he retorted