The Eriksson Thread

Con anyone join this fast eddie v bojangles kick about

Count me in....

I love reading how BJangles thinks that he can do a better job than the England manager :D ( he sounds like Pie Boy ).......its so easy to sit on the fence and shout....isnt it Lampard :o

Get out of this thread, Super_Shite and back into your dreaming "Aussie world cup" thread. This one is for people who know about football :D:D:D

well what r u, Lampard and Pie Boy doing posting on here ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, on paper I think our squad is perhaps second to non

I'm sorry mate, but if you think that then you obviously either don't watch a lot of football, or you are too easily convinced by the overhype that the English media applies to almost all of our players.

I am an England fan, but i am realistic about what i watch. Will you still hold your same opinions about the team last night if they get turned over in their next game?

Poland are a poor team, whichever way you want to look at it. It is extremely unlikely that they will be challengers in next years world cup. That England team last night would be beaten comfortably by one of the top sides.

Don't get too carried away.

Our first 11 on paper:

Robinson

G. Neville

Terry

Woodgate (in my opinion) shame he is never fit. Put who you like there, Ferdinand, Campbell, whoever

A. Cole

Beckham

Lampard

Gerrard

J. Cole (I guess)

Owen

Rooney

That is Englands team on paper, you find me a better one.

Spain taught that first eleven a footballing lesson last season, if you remember, and they are not even close to being the best around. Alonso and Xavi totally ran the game in midfield and we hardly hard a kick for 90 mins and were lucky not too lose more heavily. The gulf in quality was very suprising, as i genuinely thought we were closer to them than that. Okay, we might perform better next time we play them, but to proclaim us as the best in the world in spite of that is stretching things too far. Are we talking about the same team that got turned over 4-1 against Denmark and 1-0 against N. Ireland, neither of whom have qualified for the world cup? I agree we are better than those results suggest, but we are not the worldbeaters that people in England seem to think we are.

That's before we even start to mention the likes of Brazil (clearly the best in the world), Argentina and Italy.

ASre you sure you aren't an Ozzie  Ed ?

:o

I'm English mate, and i'll be supporting the team as much as anyone come next summer.

But the rest of the world laughs at us. Every time we beat some flimsy, weak, third rate footballing nation we all of a sudden start proclaiming ourselves the best in the world. This is almost always followed by failiure to live up to that billing when we get to the major tournaments.

You have to admit, the jokes on us.

I'm English mate, and i'll be supporting the team as much as anyone come next summer.

But the rest of the world laughs at us. Every time we beat some flimsy, weak, third rate footballing nation we all of a sudden start proclaiming ourselves the best in the world. This is almost always followed by failiure to live up to that billing when we get to the major tournaments.

A man with guts, integrity and honesty. Well said Ed. Not everyone from Uk lives in a fantasy world. :D

Edited by Old Croc

I agree, on paper I think our squad is perhaps second to non

I'm sorry mate, but if you think that then you obviously either don't watch a lot of football, or you are too easily convinced by the overhype that the English media applies to almost all of our players.

I am an England fan, but i am realistic about what i watch. Will you still hold your same opinions about the team last night if they get turned over in their next game?

Poland are a poor team, whichever way you want to look at it. It is extremely unlikely that they will be challengers in next years world cup. That England team last night would be beaten comfortably by one of the top sides.

Don't get too carried away.

Our first 11 on paper:

Robinson

G. Neville

Terry

Woodgate (in my opinion) shame he is never fit. Put who you like there, Ferdinand, Campbell, whoever

A. Cole

Beckham

Lampard

Gerrard

J. Cole (I guess)

Owen

Rooney

That is Englands team on paper, you find me a better one.

Spain taught that first eleven a footballing lesson last season, if you remember, and they are not even close to being the best around. Alonso and Xavi totally ran the game in midfield and we hardly hard a kick for 90 mins and were lucky not too lose more heavily. The gulf in quality was very suprising, as i genuinely thought we were closer to them than that. Okay, we might perform better next time we play them, but to proclaim us as the best in the world in spite of that is stretching things too far. Are we talking about the same team that got turned over 4-1 against Denmark and 1-0 against N. Ireland, neither of whom have qualified for the world cup? I agree we are better than those results suggest, but we are not the worldbeaters that people in England seem to think we are.

That's before we even start to mention the likes of Brazil (clearly the best in the world), Argentina and Italy.

My statement still stands. On 'paper' I do believe we have the best team in the world. I asked you to provide my with 11 players from another team, who you consider to be better player for player on a football field, you couldn't do so? I believe as individuals we have the best 11 in the world, although collectively, as a team perhaps not, nor do I intend to claim so.

I'm sorry mate, but you over rate our players. Believe me, i would love it if they were the best in the world.

Brazil

1. Dida

2. Cafu

3. Roberto Carlos

4. Juan

5. Lucio

6. Emerson

7. Kaka

8. Robinho

9. Ronaldo

10. Adriano

11. Ronaldinho

But's let's be honest, that's not the end of their list of top class footballers. There are others i haven't named there who would probably walk into our team. Technically, they are a league above us.

But it's not the end of the world that they have considerably more talented individuals. The most talented team doesn't always win the tournament. As long as we can get the best out of what we've got then we've got a chance.

I'm sorry mate, but you over rate our players. Believe me, i would love it if they were the best in the world.

O.K. Eddie, now we know that your really Siam_Superfly :o

Let's get back to the original question. I didn't mention that we would win the world cup, i was asking about Sven's tactics.

My question is......Why does Sven have to meddle with the Team so much? I think we now have 5 friendlies before the World Cup. Is Sven going to carry on meddling or is he going to take these 5 games seriously and play the Team we need for next year?

The problem is, four years down the line from when Erikson took over the team, we still aren't sure what our best team/formation actually is. It looks like some changes are still required. But maybe we should just put Gerrard and Beckham back in the team and give the side the rest of the friendlies, unchanged, to sort things out. With the exception of removing Joe Cole, who is nowhere near good enough, and maybe giving Wright Philips a crack down the left instead.

[. Every time we beat some flimsy, weak, third rate footballing nation we all of a sudden start proclaiming ourselves the best in the world.

That's what I like to hear. English knockers. Sounds like the same ones as before the Rugby World Cup, & the Ashes series. And incidently I thought the team England fielded in the first half of the match against Denmark, as the best eleven I have seen for years and years. Maybe ever. Just remember, probably one of your favourite teams, Germany, came unstuck against Denmark in the Euro final. And Denmark were only there on default. I hope the English players havn't got the same outlook as you have. Self-belief took us through the Rugby and the Cricket.

Whoooooo......

U must be one of the only poms that hasnt been drinking that recycled water in London, and ur brain is still functioning... :D

The problem is, four years down the line from when Erikson took over the team, we still aren't sure what our best team/formation actually is. It looks like some changes are still required. But maybe we should just put Gerrard and Beckham back in the team and give the side the rest of the friendlies, unchanged, to sort things out. With the exception of removing Joe Cole, who is nowhere near good enough, and maybe giving Wright Philips a crack down the left instead.

another wanna be English manager.....

Roll on 2006

:D

:o Absolutely, i can't wait and i really do hope we get to play the Aussie's :D

Unfortunately they won't be there. Elimination at the hands of the mighty Uruguay is beckoning....

Yeh...well it would be nice if we only had to play nations like Poland.....

Sorry Fly, but Poland have a very good squad and i would put a $ or 50 on them, if they play the Aussies. I really do hope you beat Uruguay and make it to the WC and then happily see you get quashed by quality teams :D

Sorry Eddie, that post slipped by me. I think in what you say above, i would have to agree with you there. Except for Wright-Phillips having a crack down the left. He can hit a ball with his left foot but that's not where his strengths are.

Brazil

1.  Dida

2.  Cafu

3.  Roberto Carlos

4.  Juan

5.  Lucio

6.  Emerson

7.  Kaka

8.  Robinho

9.  Ronaldo

10. Adriano

11. Ronaldinho

But's let's be honest, that's not the end of their list of top class footballers. There are others i haven't named there who would probably walk into our team. Technically, they are a league above us.

But it's not the end of the world that they have considerably more talented individuals. The most talented team doesn't always win the tournament. As long as we can get the best out of what we've got then we've got a chance.

Dida/Robinson - Robinson

Cafu/Neville - Cafu

Juan/Terry - Terry

Lucio/Campbell, Ferdinand, woodgate (you choose, the are all better than Lucio)

Carlos/Cole - Cole

The midfield is the hard part

Emerson/Lampard - Lampard

Kaka/Cole - Kaka

Robinho/Beckham - Beckham

Ronaldinho/Gerrard - Ronaldinho

Ronaldo/Rooney - Rooney

Adriano/Owen - Adriano

I think Robinho is overrated. Julio Baptista is by far better, he is probably the player I admire most in their team, apart from Ronaldinho of course.

Any way, back to the point. I count 7 players I would sooner have in my first team who are English, only 4 are Brazilian

I'm sure you're going to disagree with this Eddie, but I genuinely believe that England have the best first-team in the world, but I'd be the first to admit we're not playing like it.

You're right, i do disagree.

I see the comparison as the following -

Dida/Robinson Dida

Cafu/Neville Cafu

Juan/Terry Terry

Lucio/Campbell Campbell

R Carlos/A Cole Tie

Emerson/Gerrard Emerson

Kaka/Lampard Kaka

Robinho/Beckham Beckham

Ronaldinho/J Cole Ronaldinho

Ronaldo/Rooney Ronaldo

Adriano/Owen Adriano

I have compared them position for position. If Gerrard is to play in midfield with Lampard he will inevitably have to reconcile himself with playing the holding role (Lampard can't defend). While i think in all round ability he may be better than Emerson, when it comes to playing that position he is not as good. Kaka and Lampard play the same position for club and country, so that is a direct comparison. Kaka is the more creative and skilled player of the two. I guess the only other point of contention could be Rooney, but i don't think that i would pick him ahead of Ronaldo at this moment in time, he's not done enough to justify that. But that would be a close decision (as is Lucio/Campbell).

I have to say that i don't know a single person who considers us to have a more talented side than Brazil. Our first eleven doesn't even have a top class left sided player to play in midfield. Instead we have to make do with Joe Cole. In contrast Brazil have probably got several players who would walk into our team in that position.

You're right, i do disagree.

I see the comparison as the following -

Dida/Robinson          Dida

Cafu/Neville            Cafu

Juan/Terry              Terry

Lucio/Campbell        Campbell

R Carlos/A Cole        Tie

Emerson/Gerrard      Emerson

Kaka/Lampard          Kaka

Robinho/Beckham    Beckham

Ronaldinho/J Cole    Ronaldinho

Ronaldo/Rooney      Ronaldo

Adriano/Owen          Adriano

I have compared them position for position. If Gerrard is to play in midfield with Lampard he will inevitably have to reconcile himself with playing the holding role (Lampard can't defend). While i think in all round ability he may be better than Emerson, when it comes to playing that position he is not as good. Kaka and Lampard play the same position for club and country, so that is a direct comparison. Kaka is the more creative and skilled player of the two. I guess the only other point of contention could be Rooney, but i don't think that i would pick him ahead of Ronaldo at this moment in time, he's not done enough to justify that. But that would be a close decision (as is Lucio/Campbell).

I have to say that i don't know a single person who considers us to have a more talented side than Brazil. Our first eleven doesn't even have a top class left sided player to play in midfield. Instead we have to make do with Joe Cole. In contrast Brazil have probably got several players who would walk into our team in that position.

If you are comparing them position for position, what on earth is Ronaldinho playing left midfield for? Kaka notably is far superior with his left. Also, I do agree, Gerrard would be the more defensive of the two in midfield, I would still prefer to have Gerrard over Emerson.

Dida is better than Robinson? yeah, right ...he cannot catch the ball, he just flaps. Ashley Cole is clearly better than Roberto Carlos. Carlos done one amazing free-kick against france in le tournament (whatever that is in french) and since then he has got by because people say he is amazing at freekicks, when in fact his socring ratio off freekicks couldn't be worse! Ronaldo or Rooney is about the most blatant on of the list. Why do we hold Rooney to his age? Rooney is a better footballer than Ronaldo, it's as straight forward as that. Ronaldo used to be great, he isn't any more, nor has he been for a long time.

Also, you complain about us not having a left sided midfield player. Brazil do not have a defence, I'd sooner struggle to find a left sided-midfield player then find a whole defence. Did you see Brazil's last game against Bolivia? They were torn apart almost on every occasion when Bolivia attacked. Bolivia dominated the game

Dida/Robinson Robinson

Cafu/Neville Cafu

Juan/Terry Terry

Lucio/Campbell Campbell

R Carlos/A Cole Cole

Emerson/Gerrard Gerrard

Ronaldinho/Lampard Ronaldinho

Robinho/Beckham Beckham

Kaka/J Cole Kaka

Ronaldo/Rooney Rooney

Adriano/Owen Adriano

That is as close as you could get it in position for position and England still come out on top. Clearly we are not going to agree, so can we at least agree to disagree?

Have you ever watched Ronaldinho and Kaka play? Ronaldinho usually starts on the left with Barcelona, although sometimes for Brazil he plays on the right. Kaka plays behind the forwards for AC, at the point of the midfield diamond. This is a direct comparison with Lampard's role. You are wrong about Roberto Carlos and Ronaldo as well(although i am prepared to admit that Ronaldo/Rooney is a close decision). I could have named a slightly different Brazil side and it would have been a Brazilian white wash in midfield, but as i'd already put the list up i stuck with what was there.Quite simply, as i have already stated, you over rate the players that we have. This is probably because the majority of the football that you watch and hear about is English.

Also, you shouldn't pay too much attention to some of Brazil's results in their qualifying campaign. They always experiment extensively during this process. When it comes to the main event in Germany next summer, they will have their best team out for every match.

Incidentally, why do you think the bookies have Brazil priced up as the 10/3 favourites to win the world cup? England are 9/1 (Betfair prices). This is despite the fact that England are almost certainly being overbet in this country.