Dose Anyone Know Where Are Netbooks Are On Promotion ?

IEMDavid

I recently read the netbook sector is shrinking fast because of the massive rise of tablets; maybe even will go away. I wonder if this is really true.

I wondered if there was a connection between shrinking and the increase in tablets.........but go away?! sad.gif

Edited by uptheos

I recently read the netbook sector is shrinking fast because of the massive rise of tablets; maybe even will go away. I wonder if this is really true.

I wondered if there was a connection between shrinking and the increase in tablets.........but go away?! sad.gif

Won't totally go away, and won't go away quickly, but it seems like they are sort of whithering. If you recall, the original netbooks had 7 or 9" screens. Now about the smallest ones have 10" screens, and PC's with 13'' screens are starting to take share away. Seems that once the novelty of ultra-portability wears off, people eventually find that working on a very small screen isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

Promo's come & go rapidly but it is always wroth taking a stroll around Pantip Plaza and Siam TV where the choices are large. Remeber some of the bargain prices are quoted before tax so they look to be better bargains than they actually are. I have a Toshiba, a Sony & an Acer laptop & all of then have been good, with the Acer being the best value but not the best built. An hour or two looking around will pay dividends

Right now, the only thing the iPad type computers are good for is traveling - as far as I'm concerned - but they will get better and beter.

Right now, the only thing the iPad type computers are good for is traveling - as far as I'm concerned - but they will get better and beter.

There are a lot of very basic things that regular computers do that an iPad (or any tablet) doesn't do, or doesn't do well.

As for the Netbook, I happened to be at Siam TV today mostly to look at the pretty girls, but also couldn't help survaying the netbooks on offer. There are a lot of reasonable brand names all around the 10-12K baht mark. (Some start 9K-ish, but with 1Gb of memory, so adding then sends them just over 10K. These tend to have a screen resolution of 1024 x 600. Brands included HP, Toshiba, Acer, Samsung and perhaps some others. I liked the Samsung best, mostly based on feel and look of things; technically they are near identical.

HOWEVER I would not get any of these. I would pay an extra 4K or so and get one of the small Sony Vaio netbooks, they are around 16K but have a much more usable screen resolution of 1366 x 768, while still being small and light. It should also be a bit faster, so getting a bit above basic netbook spec. Also it comes with Windows 7 Home Basic, which is better than Windows 7 Starter.

One thing I've noticed - and this is just one voice - is that if I go the usual places, promotions hop around. That is, if X has a good price on an item I like, X may not have the best price but now Y will - or sometimes an equal for a lower price that was not there last week. For me, it is best to narrow down what I want in terms of features and shop with some absence of impulsiveness. (Rarely works, but it's best for me.)

I realize that this gives no sure bets at all, but the places listed above are where to start circle a few times.

>>HOWEVER I would not get any of these. I would pay an extra 4K or so and get one of the small Sony Vaio netbooks, they are around 16K but have a much more usable screen resolution of 1366 x 768,

on a small screen a high res makes everything look even smaller. If you just want to surf the www stick with a 1024 res. my two-penneth.

The problem with net books is the low GB and RAM + you need external disc drive.

A nice Acer laptop can be bought for a little more and you get a whole bunch of extras at the Acer shop in Panthip.

I bought an Acer netbook about 2 years back.

I'm quite disappointed, the hard drive is 160 but the RAM is too small and this slows everything down, opening websites is often painful and using the slide bar is even more painful.

I've taken the machine to two shops (Bkk and Spore) to try to have extra RAM fitted but when they open the machine they discover that you cannot add RAM. The Acer service center is Pantip (Bkk) says that is true, but they say I can install some new software which will increase speed but it's more expensive than the original cost of the netbook.

I agree there are good computers in the shops 'one size bigger' which are good value in terms of specs and not much bigger in terms of travel convenience etc.

For simple e.mail etc., work tablets are clearly the go. Several colleagues have bigger size tablets, fast, easy to use, everything on screen, very nice to use.