Lost Passport And New Visa

I am new to Thailand. Shortly before my 60 day Tourist Visa-issued by the Thai embassi in America expired- my wallet,with credit cards, and Passport were stolen. I reported and got Police Report. Applied for a new Passport which took 3 weeks at US Emb in BNK. The same day I went to Immigration Ministry for new visa. I was almost completely out of money. I asked for another 60 day Tourist (I am living here permanently and will convert to 1 yr Non-Resident when I have the money). I was told the new visa was 1,900 B and-that since my old visa had expired, I would have to also pay 4,000 B for penalty. I explained that until my Passport was in my hand I could NOT apply again, and, that I thought it unfair to penalize me for something beyond my control. Received that famous Thai smile and was told: that's your problem. I barely had enough to pay for my taxi.

So I just walked away. I asked if I could speak to her supervisor and was told, "She not here." I asked her if she had ever read, "Catch-22"? No passport, can't get a bank acct. to transfer funds to pay for visa. Credit card will take 3 weeks to get here,so cannot use ATM machine. I may as well have been talking to a rock.

Opened a bank account with my last 500B, and was told not to transfer funds for at least 5 days until my acct. was "in the system"! And each day I sit unable to pay, I owe these people another 500 B.

I am not whining or asking for anything-least of all money. My question to you knowledgeable about Thailand is: Is there any way I can appeal? To whom?

Or should I just buy some Vaseline?

Bedouin1990

Vaseline I'm afraid - Thai Immigration is full of catch 22 situations, but the most annoying situation is the ability to forget the english language within half a second if it involve Bahts !!! mad.gif, but it's Thailand and I think the majority of long termers understand what goes on and prepare themselves for these situations. jap.gif

Sorry to hear about your problems, but overstay is 500 baht a day, without exception.

You could write a letter to the immigration chief, but they might tell you you had the option of getting an emergency travel document and leave the country on time.

You now probably have a 30 day extension of stay on your tourist visa. The good news is that you no longer need at least 21 days left to convert to a non-immirgant visa.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but overstay is 500 baht a day, without exception.

You could write a letter to the immigration chief, but they might tell you you had the option of getting an emergency travel document and leave the country on time.

You now probably have a 30 day extension of stay on your tourist visa. The good news is that you no longer need at least 21 days left to convert to a non-immirgant visa.

but you have to buy a Non O for 2000 baht as well - your extension will last for 15 months though jap.gif

Thanks to those kind enough to respond. I am planning on living here full time. I got a large jar of Vaseline at Tesco-Lotus this morning, and will pay the fines when I have the coin. In spite of opening a bank account at Kashikorn 6 days ago, I went by and was told to wait another 3 days to transfer money until I was in their system. And I thought Mexico and Saudi Arabia were slow!

May I ask terak 69, or others-exactly what should I ask for to get this "Non O " visa and what amount of time then will I have before I have to get another visa? I have read a few attorney websites, and this is confusing to a newbie.

Thanks to all-

Charlie (bedouin1990)

Thanks to those kind enough to respond. I am planning on living here full time. I got a large jar of Vaseline at Tesco-Lotus this morning, and will pay the fines when I have the coin. In spite of opening a bank account at Kashikorn 6 days ago, I went by and was told to wait another 3 days to transfer money until I was in their system. And I thought Mexico and Saudi Arabia were slow!

May I ask terak 69, or others-exactly what should I ask for to get this "Non O " visa and what amount of time then will I have before I have to get another visa? I have read a few attorney websites, and this is confusing to a newbie.

Thanks to all-

Charlie (bedouin1990)

Asking for an O visa depends on age & circumstances but the basics are

Retirement - need to be min 50, money (800,000 baht) in Thai Bank for 2 months or certified income of 65,000 baht per month

Marriage - married to Thai national, 400,000 in bank or 40,000 baht per month

ED - on recognised Thai learning course

pm if you want more info

Vaseline cheaper at 7/11 laugh.gif

Edited by terak69

As has been said, you will not get a new visa but keep your permission to stay. That will be put in your new passport. If you qualify, you could still convert from your tourist visa entry to a non-immigrant entry.