Portuguese Man O' War Invade Phuket

webfact

Portuguese Man o' War invade Phuket

phuket-1-10535DxcTpoLGXNghwEmttclCLIGTtc.jpg

Phuket: Bottlenose ‘jellies’ have no independent means of propulsion,

ending up wherever wind and tide take them.

PHUKET: -- As if monsoon-season rip currents weren’t bad enough, the head of the island’s lifeguard association is warning the public of a new threat lurking in the Phuket surf: the dreaded bluebottle “jellyfish”.

Vitanya Chuayuan, publicity officer of the Phuket Lifeguard Club, said two of the pseudo-jellies were spotted at Nai Thon Beach on Wednesday.

Over the weekend there were numerous reports of the potentially deadly invertebrates at Nai Harn and Nai Thon beaches.

Bluebottles can be identified by an air-filled sac up to 100mm in diameter, from which hangs a single, blue tentacle that can reach up to 10 meters in length when fully extended.

Also known as the Portuguese Man o’ War (Physalia physalis), the bluebottle is not a true jellyfish but a siphonophore. These differ from jellyfish in that they are not a single creature, but a colony of minute individuals called zooids.

Biology aside, anyone who suffers a sting from one will not soon forget it. Signs and symptoms include searing pain, usually with a single raised white weal with prominent beading effect. Multiple weals may occur with mass stinging.

Occasionally, victims report also suffering pain on breathing, back pain, sweating, anxiety and nausea.

“Our lifeguards are now warning all tourists to be aware of bluebottles. In the event of a sting, we will wash off any remaining tentacles with seawater then treat affected areas,” she said.

As of this morning, there had been additional reports of the creatures at Surin Beach and a few more at Kata Beach.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-06-20

I don't recall these ever having been reported here before.

It's important to note that the treatment for bluebottles/Portuguese man-o-wars is different than it is for jellyfish. Adding vinegar to the affected area will cause further discharge of nymatocysts. In the Phuket News report they revealed that the lifeguards here did not know that. Identification of the source of the sting can be difficult as sometimes victims will not see the bluebottle as bits of tentacles can break off but still sting.

After carefully removing any remaining tentacles, you should rinse the affected area with sea water, not fresh. The idea being sea water, as the natural environment for the bluebottle, will not stimulate the further firing of nymatocysts. Don't rub the affected area. After the remaining nymatocsysts are removed, the affected area can be soaked in hot water or ice may be applied to reduce the pain. Lidocaine spray is best, and is kept on hand by western lifegaurds, but I am pretty sure the guards here don't carry it. Alcohol and human urine may be harmful on Portuguese man-of-war stings. An Australian study reports that both alcohol and urine caused massive nematocyst discharge in the box jellyfish, which are also in Phuket waters. A key concept in the first aid of any injury is: Do no harm. Therefore, it's best to avoid applying unproven, possibly harmful substances on stings.

Bluebottle/Man-o-war venom is nearly as poisonous as a cobras, and some people will have a severe allergic reaction. Some of these people know they have venom allergies and are prescribed epinephrine injectors (Epipens) which should be used in servere allergic reactions. Any breathing difficulties or altered consciousness should be considered a medical emergency and requires an immediate visit to ER, as does any sting to children or elderly/infirm.

Bluebottle_alcaidesa.jpg

Physalia_physalis_Boca_Raton_FL.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

This post is very good advice for a small number of stings. Anyone having a large number (a dozen or more)should go straight to Hospital and get anti histamine treatment. Many people are highly allergic and on two occasions I have had to rush a friend to Hospital. The first nearly died and the second was very ill and paralyzed for a while. I have had stings all over my body and suffered terrible pain. (but this was in Sri Lanka)

You never know where and when they will turn up, They may come here once in ten years and usually come in rough seas. They usually disappear after a few weeks.. I strongly recommend no one swim when they are around. I did see one or two last year south of Hua Hin which quite surprised me. It was after a big storm . second time the fa friend diving with meonl

I don't recall these ever having been reported here before.

It's important to note that the treatment for bluebottles/Portuguese man-o-wars is different than it is for jellyfish. Adding vinegar to the affected area will cause further discharge of nymatocysts. In the Phuket News report they revealed that the lifeguards here did not know that. Identification of the source of the sting can be difficult as sometimes victims will not see the bluebottle as bits of tentacles can break off but still sting.

After carefully removing any remaining tentacles, you should rinse the affected area with sea water, not fresh. The idea being sea water, as the natural environment for the bluebottle, will not stimulate the further firing of nymatocysts. Don't rub the affected area. After the remaining nymatocsysts are removed, the affected area can be soaked in hot water or ice may be applied to reduce the pain. Lidocaine spray is best, and is kept on hand by western lifegaurds, but I am pretty sure the guards here don't carry it. Alcohol and human urine may be harmful on Portuguese man-of-war stings. An Australian study reports that both alcohol and urine caused massive nematocyst discharge in the box jellyfish, which are also in Phuket waters. A key concept in the first aid of any injury is: Do no harm. Therefore, it's best to avoid applying unproven, possibly harmful substances on stings.

Bluebottle/Man-o-war venom is nearly as poisonous as a cobras, and some people will have a severe allergic reaction. Some of these people know they have venom allergies and are prescribed epinephrine injectors (Epipens) which should be used in servere allergic reactions. Any breathing difficulties or altered consciousness should be considered a medical emergency and requires an immediate visit to ER, as does any sting to children or elderly/infirm.

Bluebottle_alcaidesa.jpg

Physalia_physalis_Boca_Raton_FL.jpg

Phuket bluebottle scare: the coast is clear

phuket-1-10545OZQulWwEQUHXYUxoXBiClGrRnh.jpg

A Portuguese man o’ war washed up on a beach in Brazil.

Photo: Pixelschubser

PHUKET: -- The invasion of Portuguese man o’ war “jellyfish” at Phuket beaches over the weekend appears to have ended, but lifeguards are keeping a watchful eye on the situation in order to ensure the safety of swimmers and beachcombers.

Vitanya Chuayuan, publicity officer of the Phuket Lifeguard Club, confirmed this morning that there have been no reports of the pseudo-jellies since the weekend.

Nine specimens were sent to the Phuket Marine Biological Center at Cape Panwa for analysis.

PMBC director Wannakiat Thubthimsang confirmed the samples as Physalia physalis, also known as Portuguese man o’ war, bluebottles or mang kapoon fai (fire jellyfish) in Thai.

Dr Wannakiat said the presence of Portuguese man o’ war at Phuket beaches was fairly common in the early months of the monsoon season, from March to July.

The relatively high number that washed ashore over the weekend was probably due to a combination of unusual monsoon-season currents and an abundant supply of small fish offshore, he said.

The numbers were sufficiently high that the PMBC issued a warning to local administrative bodies through Phuket Provincial Office, he said.

The stinging structures of Portuguese man o’ war were still dangerous after they washed ashore, he warned.

Anyone who suffers a sting is to first treat it with seawater and never to rub the wound, he added.

Fortunately the latest flotilla of pseudo-jellies washed ashore without a single sting reported.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-06-21

I visited Hua Hin/Cha-Am many years ago and saw locals who had incredible scars from encounters with 'some sort of jellyfish' during the rainy season. The scars were horrendous, perhaps they were from these creatures?

As far as I know, this is the first time they've 'visited' Phuket - but I'm now seriously considering whether I should avoid diving here.

Does anyone know whether a wet-suit protects the body? Obviously the face will still be vulnerable, but hopefully one will be able to see them in time??

I visited Hua Hin/Cha-Am many years ago and saw locals who had incredible scars from encounters with 'some sort of jellyfish' during the rainy season. The scars were horrendous, perhaps they were from these creatures?

As far as I know, this is the first time they've 'visited' Phuket - but I'm now seriously considering whether I should avoid diving here.

Does anyone know whether a wet-suit protects the body? Obviously the face will still be vulnerable, but hopefully one will be able to see them in time??

They float on the surface, so it would only be a problem when entering and getting out of the water when diving. A wetsuit would protect the parts that it covers. Anyway, they seem to be going away just as fast as they arrived... I never heard of them around Phuket before this time either, so I don't think they will be an on going problem. I would be more worried about the box jellies that are much harder to see and quite deadly.

More bluebottles wash ashore in Phuket

phuket-1-10556UJHkZifqpyQKTLtoEHLiBkbBQx.jpg

One of the bluebottle's few natural predators, the Loggerhead sea turtle,

is now believed extinct in Phuket waters. Photo: Dan Hartwright

phuket-4-10556aCthRFSWVuRmxAGWBcOewAlOxo.jpg

Most of the bluebottles that have washed ashore in the past week have

been fairly small. Photo: Dan Hartwright

PHUKET: -- The Phuket coastline is still not yet clear of Portuguese man o’ war "jellyfish", with the latest sighting by a sharp-eyed beachcomber at Patong Beach at dusk yesterday.

Professional photographer Dan Hartwright was walking along the beach with his young son on his back when he noted the characteristic air bladder of one of the creatures washed up on the sand.

His photography equipment unavailable, he snapped the picture with his iPhone4.

“I would hardly agree the coast is clear!” he wrote.

“I told the ‘lifeguards’ on Patong Bay last night that for two nights in a row I have found washed up bluebottle jellies on the beach. They just shrugged and said it was the wind,” he added.

Also known as a”bluebottles” in Australia and maeng kaphroon fai (literally “fire jellyfish”) in Thai, the venomous creatures have an air bladder that acts as a kind of natural sail, but have no way of controlling their own movement.

The current sightings have been credited to strong onshore winds and monsoon season currents.

The sighting yesterday follows multiple reports of bluebottles washing ashore on several Phuket beaches last weekend.

By Tuesday, the reports had dissipated and experts announced that the scare was likely over.

Thus far there have been no stings reported, but the Phuket Lifeguard Club is advising all swimmers and beachcombers to be alert. The creatures can deliver a nasty sting even after washing up on the beach.

Have you spotted a bluebottle jellyfish on a Phuket Beach recently? Send your photo to editor [at] phuketgazette.net and share it with fellow readers.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-06-23

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder just how widespread they are. When I was younger I remember bluebottles on our beach in the south of New Zealand.

They are circumtropical. They go where the wind takes them.

ScreenHunter_01Jul071510.gif

The consensus seems to be that they, along with many species of jellyfish are becoming invasive non-native and showing up in places they haven't before, and in greater numbers due to overfishing, pollution, global warming, and a reduction in natural predators like sea turtles. This week power plants in Isreal are having to shut down because the pumps are clogged with jellies.

http://www.jpost.com/Sci-Tech/Article.aspx?id=228239

http://www.greendiary.com/entry/overfishing-destabilizing-black-sea-invasive-jellyfish-blooming/

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/207220/invasion_of_the_alien_jellyfish__coming_to_a_holiday/index.html