Mosquito-Eating Fish Dying

CMX

Although I know nothing plus about fish, the place I lease has a tile pond with fish which the landlord says eat larvae. This may be true, as I find few of those killer insects around. For a year and a half, I've kept everybody well, pretty much, cleaning, skimming, feeding, and refreshing water. Suddenly we have a die-off.

Maebaan mentioned she had seen similar in her village lately.

I have researched here, and find a lot about fish and chips and one nice thread about locations for replacements - but, what about the cause itself? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Any spraying of chemicals around that area of late? Fish are pretty hardy but a scum of toxic chemicals on the water surface will kill them.

I do not know of any spraying, and the water seems free of scum on the surface. However, I'll ask at the village office (L&H). Of course, nothing like this happened during rainy season last year. Also, there were no announcements delivered (for me to have translated). As it seems now, I'll have to drain and clean the thing, putting any survivors aside. Not a predator, as there are little fellows upside down. Neighbors are friendly, and the kids well above average.

If they havnt' sprayed locally. then perhaps lack of oxygen? Phosphate/nitride build up in the water? The latter caused by decaying matter in the pond and what comes out of fishes naturally. Do you have any filters / fountains / waterfalls running? A few years ago I had a total wipe out of some lovely fish and all overnight, did a bit of reading after that! If you want any guppies to restock with.................got lots!

I had the same problem.

For no obvious reason one of my fish that seemed perfectly healthy a few hours before, would suddenly pop it`s clogs and then other fish would die in the same way.

A question: have you recently changed the brand or type of fish food? As this is what I discovered was killing off my fish.

If you have, then revert back the fish food that you were feeding them before the fish began dying.

This is what I did and it solved the problem.

I had the same problem.

For no obvious reason one of my fish that seemed perfectly healthy a few hours before, would suddenly pop it`s clogs and then other fish would die in the same way.

A question: have you recently changed the brand or type of fish food? As this is what I discovered was killing off my fish.

If you have, then revert back the fish food that you were feeding them before the fish began dying.

That could be it! Old Carrefour's offering was off the shelves last time I went through Big Cxtra, but I saw similar looking stuff at Tesco/Lotus. Perhaps a long shot, but I'll get something else immediately.

Pond is cleaned regularly - and in fact I was on that same day out back in the garden area picking up two new nets. Perhaps should have gotten more food there.

Thanks for constructive ideas, all!

We had 2 fish tanks outside . One all the fish died over a 1 week time, the other tank within 1 meter had no loss. Same food, water, etc. I did not little white spots on the sides of dead ones (all black fish). We cleand the tank and let it set empty for a couple weeks and the new fish are ok. The other tank never lost a one.

I had the same problem.

That could be it! Old Carrefour's offering was off the shelves last time I went through Big Cxtra, but I saw similar looking stuff at Tesco/Lotus. Perhaps a long shot, but I'll get something else immediately.

Pond is cleaned regularly - and in fact I was on that same day out back in the garden area picking up two new nets. Perhaps should have gotten more food there.

Thanks for constructive ideas, all!

I also had this problem. This happend when I changed water, I'm using Moo Ban water and sometimes they add chlorine to the water.

Not applying to this case but at least twice the very first

rain after smoggy season has harvested a large percentage

of my little fish tank's population.

Acid rain, that is..

Edited by hihhih

We had 2 fish tanks outside . One all the fish died over a 1 week time, the other tank within 1 meter had no loss. Same food, water, etc. I did not little white spots on the sides of dead ones (all black fish). We cleand the tank and let it set empty for a couple weeks and the new fish are ok. The other tank never lost a one.

Karma?