Why Do Native English Teachers Teach Conversation With A Book?

steveb

I am always amazed to see native English teachers teach conversation with a book. At the end of my last conversation class my students commented that it was the best English class they have ever taken. I asked them what's so special about my class and they said it was the first class they were able to speak.

I put them in a circle (for smaller classes) hand out some questions and give them some time to think before answering. That’s it. I correct them and give them vocabulary when needed. What they need and signed up for is conversation and they need the opportunity to use it. So many teachers still put them is small groups and walk around to monitor or teach grammar and lecture all in the name of conversation. The feedback I always get from my students about their previous classes is the teacher did more speaking then the students. I know many schools and language schools force the teacher to follow a book but I think it’s one factor why at the end of the day the students can’t speak. I have never seen a conversation book but general English books that cover many skills are used to teach conversation.

You know teachers of conversation that teach from a book? I don't. I know teachers that use a book for direction and ideas but thats about it.

I don't know any classes that don't allow the kids to speak.

I don't know any teachers that reinforce grammar points during conversation classes.

Perhaps we move in different circles.

Op maybe an idea of class size and student level would be good.. I presume you are talking about private teaching rather than school teaching..

As for me I use books as a guide.

I find that Thai students feel more comfortable with some thing to reference. Especially when you are talking and asking about things they may not have done before. Eg booking a hotel.

As many teachers do I also ask many questions and try and ensure correct sentence structure on the return answers.

Conversation is not just talking it is the ability to listen and quantify what is being said.

Many schools provide books as they are part of their curriculum but many also give their conversation teachers a free rein so they can create their own lessons and perhaps only use the books as a guide. The books I was offered were far too easy so I now can do pretty much anything I like as long as it always includes the kids talking.

They study grammar with a Thai teacher but with fluency comes accuracy so they will also learn grammar by practicing their conversational skills in activities like role-plays. But I also include other aspects of English such as listening, comprehension, pronunciation, spelling and word association and so far so good, their English is improving and those who recently went on to study at Matayom are all doing really well after passing the entrance exams.

Different strokes for different folks.

Some students, and teachers, feel more comfortable with a book. I taught an adult class for many years. Our first book got worn out from use. By the time I left, the last book had barely been opened. They went from reading the conversations to one another to being able to remember the conversations, to being able to have a conversation. It took a long time and a lot of practice.

A lot of variables, but it sounds like the OP knows what he's doing and creates an environment that is conducive and safe to moving students in the right direction.

After reading many of the responses, it reinforces my idea of the problem of many teachers seeing English as an academic subject rather than a vocational skill subject for non native students. One of the foundations of vocational education is hands on training which I believe is so critical in teaching English as a foreign language. I believe you have to get out of the class (theory) and spend at least 80% in the lab (practical application). I think it's really common sense but many teachers turn conversation into an academic subject and the dim light in the students' brain fades out.

After reading many of the responses, it reinforces my idea of the problem of many teachers seeing English as an academic subject rather than a vocational skill subject for non native students. One of the foundations of vocational education is hands on training which I believe is so critical in teaching English as a foreign language. I believe you have to get out of the class (theory) and spend at least 80% in the lab (practical application). I think it's really common sense but many teachers turn conversation into an academic subject and the dim light in the students' brain fades out.

No kidding? Gosh.........never knew that.

Same responses as those you get with exactly the same question on the 'other forum'.

I also note that you did not answer the question of who you are teaching and class numbers.. I think A99's post has put it into some perspective. Most Government school teachers have over 40 students in the class. Even at private schools it can be as high as that but more normally 20-25 students all with different levels of English and ambition.

It sounds to me that you are teaching at a private language school. Where it is far easier to do what you describe as most classes have the same level of student ability.

Also many Thai students do not even have the light illuminated in the 1st place, A second language is just not required in their future (their belief, not mine)cool.gif

As others mentioned...the OP is probably at a private school. The dynamics are a lot different with 50 students in one classroom, each with different abilities, interests, backgrounds, and degrees of motivation. When you have just 45 minutes, that works out to less than one minute per student per period. Barely enough time to introduce oneself.

^Ditto what most others have said. Plus it's a help in vocabulary building, and a comforting reference point for 'false beginners' and those who have studied academically but not learned how to use English as an active language.

My initial joking response was going to be, 'it's easier that way than using a brick,' but...

:P