Ever Changing Rules- Thai Consulate In Laos

I Have just returned from Loas going with the intention of getting a 3 month "O'

so as to be able to apply for a Retirement Visa in 3 months

All I can say it is one BIG Joke,.

I look the required sum shown in 2 bank books

I was refused because of 2 reasons

(1) The money appears to have to be in ONE account only

(2) Although you are not really applying for the Retirement Visa there they

still want letter from the Bank stating that they money is in the account

As 2 Bank Books updated the previous day is not sufficient proof.

Trying to explain to them that the required paperwork and changes will be made

before actually apply for the retirement visa was like talking to a brick wall

I ended up getting 2x 60 days tourist visa from a tout outside of the

date operating in full view of the consulate himself going in and out

and all embassy staff

OK i get 6 months but you cannot ap;ly on tourists visa

This is taking this nonsense to the limit and proves yet again that they

are doing everything possible to stop us living here.

I will now not be leaving the money in the accounts but using it for

day to day living expenses instead of transfering more here

Unless the future government has responsible people with

Europian or American University education this situation can

only deteriorate more

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed. Please default forum font when posting.

When I donot know the rules it very easy to claim the rules are always changing. If you had asked for the tourist visa in the Embassy more than likely given to you without the use of a tout.

If you donot maintain the required amount in the bank immigration will not give you the conversion or the extension of stay you can obtain on a tourist visa

"Unless the future government has responsible people with

Europian or American University education this situation can

only deteriorate more"

Is everyone with an education from those places automatically 'responsible'?

Can someone with an education from elsewhere ever become 'responsible', in your opinion?

What situation? Not knowing the rules?

I'm sure this part of your post was done in frustration. Once you've converted, and extended your visa, you'll see it's not really all that difficult.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

Had Tourist Visa before and Immigration at Mae Sai told me in no uncertain terms that to get either marriage or retirement I had to get O visa asa it could not be done on Tourist visa

Nowadays many immigration offices will not convert, they normally send you to Bangkok to convert there.

Chiang Mai will also convert (but not based on marriage), as will Jomtiem.

What they said is correct - you can not obtain an extension of stay for marriage or retirement directly from a tourist visa - you must change status. They might not do at that office but Bangkok will and then you can return to that office to obtain the actual extension of stay (after 60 days normally).

Phuket will change your TR60 into a retirement visa via the visa change form ( TM-86 ) and the 1 year extension at the same time.

Also when you don't have a visa but only a VOA 30/15 you can get the retirement extension at Phuket immigration.

First you apply for an 3 month Non-O visa ( TM-87 ) and at the same time do the 1 year extension.

Cost are 2000 Baht for the visa application which gives you 3 months and 1900 Baht for the extension so totally 3900 Baht for 15 Months and you don't have to go to a Thai Embassy first to get the Non-O. :)

Edited by merijn

Phuket will change your TR60 into a retirement visa via the visa change form ( TM-86 ) and the 1 year extension at the same time.

Also when you don't have a visa but only a VOA 30/15 you can get the retirement extension at Phuket immigration.

First you apply for an 3 month Non-O visa ( TM-87 ) and at the same time do the 1 year extension.

Cost are 2000 Baht for the visa application which gives you 3 months and 1900 Baht for the extension so totally 3900 Baht for 15 Months and you don't have to go to a Thai Embassy first to get the Non-O. :)

VOA (visa on arrival) is always 15 days, you mean a visa exempt entry.

The 15 or 30 day stamps for visa exemption countrys are also called VOA13 or VOA30 thatsway i don't called it a visa on arrival but VOA.

Sounds the same but is not the same . TIT

• 7 months later...

licklips.gif ThomasPaul

Please tell us....was your attempted non O visa based on MARRIAGE to a Thai or was it based on RETIREMENT in Thailand.

I ask because there have been reports that you can get a non O visa, even if only a single entry 90 day non O, in Savanaket for puposes of later extension based on retirement in Thailand.

Personally, I doubt that they will give it there based on retirement, but I know they will based on marriage to a Thai. I'm just trying to get some valid first-hand information regarding that point here.

So please post and let us know what the true story is.

On the other point...the bankbooks....yes, it has always been true using that method of applying for a retirement extension in Thailand....you must have a bank account in your own name with the sum of 800K or more Thai baht.

Looks like the consulate simply interpreted that to mean ONE bank account in your name...not two bank accounts combined.

Also, just for information, although some Thai consulates may allow a joint account with a Thai wife for a foriegner, many others will not allow joint accounts.

There are no hard and fast rules, each consulate can and does interpret the "rules" the way it feels is correct.

It's always been like that, and it's not likely to change soon. It may not be fair, but it's the reality of the situation....and being angry won't change that reality.

I know, I'm on a retirement extension/visa and living in Bangkok. At times the process can be frustrating....but you just have to outlast them and keep smiling. Type A personalities don't last very long here in Thailand.

coffee1.gif

Cost are 2000 Baht for the visa application which gives you 3 months and 1900 Baht for the extension so totally 3900 Baht for 15 Months and you don't have to go to a Thai Embassy first to get the Non-O. smile.gif

The 15 or 30 day stamps for visa exemption countrys are also called VOA13 or VOA30 thatsway i don't called it a visa on arrival but VOA.

Sounds the same but is not the same . TIT

They are simply not the same. A visa exempt entry is either 15 or 30 days, depending on mode of arrival (land or air) for which you don't need a visa.

A Visa On Arrival is something completely different and has very different rules. In this case you really apply for a visa, which you also have to pay for. And you can only use certain border crossings, not all.

It is confusing if you use the wrong term, as different rules apply. Also at the airport you might see signs for visa on arrival, people who qualify for a visa exempt entry should ignore these, as they don't have anything to do with them.

I ended up getting 2x 60 days tourist visa from a tout outside of the

date operating in full view of the consulate himself going in and out

and all embassy staff

I think I can see why the OP was refused.

A nice bit of baht for the staff this way.

Ran into a similar story a few years ago but the guy wanted to leave his money in an american bank of course no 90 day non-o for retirement. The guy just didn't get it that the rules state it has to be in a Thai bank. I just decided he was too stupid and stopped talking to him.