Nationwide Ban On Alcohol This Weekend

george

I can understand some complaining about this but to read through some of these posts is strange .. some people are relating this law to Thailand going down hill and taking away of civil liberties as well as labeling Thais in also sorts of negative light. The funny thing is that I doubt you will hear too many Thais complaining like this. It seems this is more a reflection of farangs upset about not being able to have their bottle. The other odd thing is that this is not like some new law but rather a practice that has been observed for a very long time .. same as banning alcohol sales on certain holidays. It should go without saying that Thailand has different laws and cultures than your home country but would think if your home country was so great, you would not have left or be here. Not sure any country is perfect but there is obviously a reason many of the folks here have chosen Thailand as there new home and the sooner they except the differences they don't like then the sooner they will be more happier here. It is interesting that the Thai attitude of not letting minor things like this make you unhappy is a cultural difference lost on so many who come here.

Whilst you have a point, Thailand does depend on the tourist industry, and this arbitary policy of banning the sale of alcohol on election days - pre election days - buddha days - royal birthdays etc etc does not help the country. It's not just the tourists who are caught up in the unnecessary trap, but also the tens of thousands of thai employees who will be unable to work and who will noit receive wages etc.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has mentioned the rationale for the closings, flawed though it may be. Thais can only vote where they are registered. For example, many workers in Pattaya are from Isaan and can only vote there. If the bars were open, the bar owners would be unlikely to allow their employees to travel home to vote. The bar closings give them the opportunity to go and vote. It seems absentee ballots and such are not available in Thailand.

I would imagine that most -if not all - bar workers, massage girls etc - couldn't give a toss about the elections. If they returned home they would likely receive the 500bt "vote for me" payoff, but the bus fare and loss of earnings would negate that.

Although I would disagree with your generalized perceptions, it is a moot point because Thais have a duty to vote.

No problem, just stock up at home. Or visit friend's home. Mai pen rai ... B)

Easy for expats but a real pain for tourists.

Why don't they just ban the sale of alcohol to Thai people in certain tourist zones at times like this. The girlie bars would do well selling a shot of Sprite or Coke for 150 baht as they can't sell alcoholic lady drinks!

I agreed with you. Should ban only for thai peoples. Tourists has nothing to do with voting.

No one has mentioned the rationale for the closings, flawed though it may be. Thais can only vote where they are registered. For example, many workers in Pattaya are from Isaan and can only vote there. If the bars were open, the bar owners would be unlikely to allow their employees to travel home to vote. The bar closings give them the opportunity to go and vote. It seems absentee ballots and such are not available in Thailand.

I would imagine that most -if not all - bar workers, massage girls etc - couldn't give a toss about the elections. If they returned home they would likely receive the 500bt "vote for me" payoff, but the bus fare and loss of earnings would negate that.

Although I would disagree with your generalized perceptions, it is a moot point because Thais have a duty to vote.

Thais have a duty to do many things. Helmets on motorbikes, obey the speed limits, no drinking and driving to name just some. They don't care -they do what they want. Nationwide only around 65% vote at general elections considerably less at local elections. So much for duty!

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

Oh well, I'll just stay home, drink whiskey alone and cry. :jap:

What are you talking about? Paying to enter a temple... never heard of it.

Temple of the Emerald Buddha

Temple of Dawn

Wat Po

Get out more.

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

I agree with the other poster that allowances should be made for tourist areas. Places like Phuket which tout themselves as a top class international location should be given some latitude. This is where proper zoning laws would benefit everyone.

I am quite sure you will get booze at places like Centara Grand, Le Meridien, and others of their (price) class. Same procedure as every election. :whistling:

hkt83100. You beat me to it.

Unless I am mistaken the vast majority of tourists stay in hotels and as such they are able to buy drinks there. If tourists want to drink they drink at the hotel and then go out wherever and drink coke or something else and still enjoy the sites or get blind drunk after having been out. So very few tourists are stopped from drinking, they are just limited as to where they can.

In my experience the situation is the opposite. The international hotels adhere strictly to the ban while some "hole-in-the-wall" backstreet karaoke bars get around (ignore) the ban!

I can understand some complaining about this but to read through some of these posts is strange .. some people are relating this law to Thailand going down hill and taking away of civil liberties as well as labeling Thais in also sorts of negative light. The funny thing is that I doubt you will hear too many Thais complaining like this. It seems this is more a reflection of farangs upset about not being able to have their bottle. The other odd thing is that this is not like some new law but rather a practice that has been observed for a very long time .. same as banning alcohol sales on certain holidays. It should go without saying that Thailand has different laws and cultures than your home country but would think if your home country was so great, you would not have left or be here. Not sure any country is perfect but there is obviously a reason many of the folks here have chosen Thailand as there new home and the sooner they except the differences they don't like then the sooner they will be more happier here. It is interesting that the Thai attitude of not letting minor things like this make you unhappy is a cultural difference lost on so many who come here.

Whilst you have a point, Thailand does depend on the tourist industry, and this arbitary policy of banning the sale of alcohol on election days - pre election days - buddha days - royal birthdays etc etc does not help the country. It's not just the tourists who are caught up in the unnecessary trap, but also the tens of thousands of thai employees who will be unable to work and who will noit receive wages etc.

And you too have a point especially in terms of revenue but I highly doubt tourists stay away because of 1 day alcohol bans and doubt too many Thai workers are complaining about having a day off especially when many are working 6 or 7 days a week. Thai alcohol related business owners are aware of these days and they are no different than being closed for a national holiday ...same as in the much of the Western world where bars and most all business' close down on many national holidays.

Edited by Nisa

Thais have a duty to do many things. Helmets on motorbikes, obey the speed limits, no drinking and driving to name just some. They don't care -they do what they want. Nationwide only around 65% vote at general elections considerably less at local elections. So much for duty!

You may want to recheck your facts. Last Thai General Election had 85% voter turnout. Compare this with the US at 57% and UK with 65%.

It just proves oncemore again, what we all know about immaturity, ignorant electorate and blindfolding an entire nation with discounts of THB 100'000 on the first car, a minimum salary of THB 15'000 for an university graduate and a promise to return to the size system by dumping the weight system once it comes to the sale of eggs. All, of course only, if the respective party gets elected.

We are living in challenging times. Witness, what is happening around you. No booze means a) a sober weekend or B) enjoying a party at someone's home and c) zillions of non-realized turnovers (and subsequent profits) for all those bars, soapies etc. which keep the BIB's palms properly greased.

Look around you; I have the feeling that it might be not a bad time to consider packing and moving on; this country is going down the shoots in free fall. The Northern part of Thailand is at a complete stand-still (touristically speaking); lousy and expensive food, insulting and impolite staff, empty hotels (with triple room prices compared to last year). Bottom line is, that WE as non-Thais have the choice; the Thais will have to stick around and deal with whatever is flying in their direction.

I rest my case and look forward to a calm, booze-free weekend; a repetition of the same next weekend and ultimately a non-surprising result of the e-wrecktion!

Just back from Cambodia, and the people there really care. Good food good prices and smiling genuinely happy and nice people. If only I'd gone there first before coming to Thailand!

BYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The majority of Pattaya tourists are those who like to frequent the bars. 6 weeks ago nobody knew that for 2 successive weekends the bars would be closed. Holidays had been booked then, so it was too late for changes to be made.

Just as "whities" are picked out easily for double/treble charging, it would be just as simple to realise they would have no effect on the voting, and allow them to drink and enjoy their holidays. There is so much uncertainty here in Thailand. The banning is not uniform. Some parts of Bangkok allow drinking on special days whilst others do not. Villages throughout Thailand have alcohol for sale, but the towns do not.

The ban does not effect me one iota, it is the stupidity of the rule that I take umbridge with!

Seems like this is only confirmed for Phucket

If that is the case seems like only Phuket folks who are too stupid (after having a glass) to exercise their democratic rights "not to mention their total lack of social responsibility"

Is this the same Phuket where the governor allows jet-ski operators and taxi drivers to cheat farang? Sounds like you guys need some half-way decent bosses down there who can think beyond their next golf game.

You may want to recheck your facts. Last Thai General Election had 85% voter turnout. Compare this with the US at 57% and UK with 65%.

Agreed at the last election, but 2 years earlier it was only 60.7 percent and that is the norm. The high vote in 2007 was due to "Thaksin fever".

It just proves oncemore again, what we all know about immaturity, ignorant electorate and blindfolding an entire nation with discounts of THB 100'000 on the first car, a minimum salary of THB 15'000 for an university graduate and a promise to return to the size system by dumping the weight system once it comes to the sale of eggs. All, of course only, if the respective party gets elected.

We are living in challenging times. Witness, what is happening around you. No booze means a) a sober weekend or B) enjoying a party at someone's home and c) zillions of non-realized turnovers (and subsequent profits) for all those bars, soapies etc. which keep the BIB's palms properly greased.

Look around you; I have the feeling that it might be not a bad time to consider packing and moving on; this country is going down the shoots in free fall. The Northern part of Thailand is at a complete stand-still (touristically speaking); lousy and expensive food, insulting and impolite staff, empty hotels (with triple room prices compared to last year). Bottom line is, that WE as non-Thais have the choice; the Thais will have to stick around and deal with whatever is flying in their direction.

I rest my case and look forward to a calm, booze-free weekend; a repetition of the same next weekend and ultimately a non-surprising result of the e-wrecktion!

Just back from Cambodia, and the people there really care. Good food good prices and smiling genuinely happy and nice people. If only I'd gone there first before coming to Thailand!

BYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a stupid, half-wit comment. :jerk:

Such an outpouring of angst over two days without booze! No wonder many Thai think we farang are all alcoholics. Suck it up (or in this case, don't) and move on, guys 'n gals. :coffee1:

It's 2 days this weekend, 2 days next weekend, there will probably be re-voting because of all the vote buying, with a further 2 days bar closures, There are many local elections where bars are closed. 2 holidays next month which are no alcohol days another in August. It never ends!

Such an outpouring of angst over two days without booze! No wonder many Thai think we farang are all alcoholics. Suck it up (or in this case, don't) and move on, guys 'n gals. :coffee1:

It's 2 days this weekend, 2 days next weekend, there will probably be re-voting because of all the vote buying, with a further 2 days bar closures, There are many local elections where bars are closed. 2 holidays next month which are no alcohol days another in August. It never ends!

I think you are just confirming Honky's point.

That does not apply to this weekend. In fact this weekend's voting is partly for those living away from their home town to be able to vote without going home (at least it is in Phuket, not sure about other parts of Thailand). At the last general election this facility was open on Saturday and Sunday meaning the bars were also closed on the Friday. And it was peak tourist season!

I think you are just confirming Honky's point.

Agree

But does nobody have a thought for the tourists, who pour millions of baht into the economy, and are denied some of the basic reasons for visiting Thailand. Every holidaymaker in every country likes to party! Come to Thailand at the wrong time and you cannot!

Will be a lot of annoyed tourists who have flown in last night for the bar scene. Get of the plane head to the bars for girls and booze. Just can't imagine them sipping tea and eating scones whilst chatting up a bar girl. I guess business will be slow for a lot of bargirl as well. The ones that only get looked at when the punter is full of booze.

So we can pay 400 Baht to enter a temple, but we can't get a beer? (Foreigners who don't look Thai). I believe this is called profiling. If profiling works so well when entering temples, why can't it work the other way when ordering a drink in a bar?

Oh well, I'll just stay home, drink whiskey alone and cry. :jap:

because this is Thailands :bah:

I couldn't have said it better myself clap2.gif

Agreed at the last election, but 2 years earlier it was only 60.7 percent and that is the norm. The high vote in 2007 was due to "Thaksin fever".

2011 ... expected 70% turnout

2007 85% voter turnout

2006 65% voter turntot

2005 61% voter turnout

2001 70% voter turnout

This is an average of 70% over the last 10 years including or not including 2011.

This is well above the percentage you generally see in the UK and US but if you think it is not high enough then Thailand might want to consider extending the business closure time to allow more people to get home to vote.

But what is actually interesting is your previous comment about Thai bar girls not caring about voting. The numbers would seem to indicate otherwise since it is Bangkok that usually has the lowest turnout rate and the Northeast having the highest.

Edited by Nisa

The majority of Pattaya tourists are those who like to frequent the bars. 6 weeks ago nobody knew that for 2 successive weekends the bars would be closed. Holidays had been booked then, so it was too late for changes to be made.

Just as "whities" are picked out easily for double/treble charging, it would be just as simple to realise they would have no effect on the voting, and allow them to drink and enjoy their holidays. There is so much uncertainty here in Thailand. The banning is not uniform. Some parts of Bangkok allow drinking on special days whilst others do not. Villages throughout Thailand have alcohol for sale, but the towns do not.

The ban does not effect me one iota, it is the stupidity of the rule that I take umbridge with!

How nice if the majority of Pattaya tourists would not come to Thailand. Pattaya might become a nicer place to visit.

This country champions the ridicule. :angry:

Planned to drive 100kms return to Udon Thani late afternoon for a buffet dinner at Kinnaree's, but if I can't have a beer with my food I'll pass, and same next we.

And no, I am not an alcoholic, 1 beer with food is enough and I hardly drink 1 beer a week.

Flabbergasted???!!!

I still fail to equate the imbibing of a few drinks with the ability to vote...

Another step in the removal of the Thai people's civil liberties.

Thailand will be like Saudi if this silliness continues.

YOU don't have to equate it.

As a Farang you just have to ACCEPT it.

Next.

You have to accept it in many places around the globe too!

Sure accept but being anywhere but tourist areas, hardly a problem, as one can and is, normally at home free to drink his head off if he chooses to.

Problem being international resort areas, trying to encourage tourists it then becomes a joke (because of a very minute section that will be voting)

This is also LOW season and the country is trying to get back to something like normal.....With Tourism Authority Thailand crying it's head off because of lack of western visitors.

It is time that common sense played a part in all of this never ending FIASCO.....Please leave your tourist areas alone. ( I know some will be quick to knife me, and say ""you wont die if you cannot have a drink for 2 days) ....:lol: I hardly drink alcohol but I think on holiday this day and age let them down a few. BUT the robberies will be less, enjoy your whiskey in your coffee cup at the bar :lol:

talking bout Saudi and quoting 'head off' was this subtle ?

Will be a lot of annoyed tourists who have flown in last night for the bar scene. Get of the plane head to the bars for girls and booze. Just can't imagine them sipping tea and eating scones whilst chatting up a bar girl. I guess business will be slow for a lot of bargirl as well. The ones that only get looked at when the punter is full of booze.

They might decide to do something more cultural instead then, such as visiting the Royal Palace, Floating Market etc. Otherwise, they are just sex tourists and well, no one really cares is they are annoyed, right?