Violence Feared After Key Thai Elections

webfact

I also do NOT condone the action of Pad with the airport disruption BUT no one was killed and nothing was burnt to the ground and guns and weapons were not the force.

Wrong, I recall a (yellow) "protester" was killed by a (red) grenade fired from a nearby highway ...

B)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also do NOT condone the action of Pad with the airport disruption BUT no one was killed and nothing was burnt to the ground and guns and weapons were not the force.

Wrong, I recall a (yellow) "protester" was killed by a (red) grenade fired from a nearby highway ...

B)

My post was pointing out that the disruption was there but the demo was not violent on behalf of PAD.

That really answers my post, so which demo was the most violent, and who were the main party involved to incite it ????

Thai tourism suffered sure short term from the inconvenience, but it didn;t give tourist fear to come, not like the bkk burning occupation.

Overall numbers are up? Perhaps the 'islands', but certainly not in BKK or Patts!

Yes, overall numbers are up. I am not sure that your assumption regarding where is correct. As to Sotsira's post ---- I think the political violence of the reds cost the country the most both in the short-term and in the longer term. It certainly cost the most in terms of damage. The image of Thailand got dinged by both but days and days of reporting about violence in the capitol certainly hurt worse than passengers stranded for about a week. Other countries have had similar results from airport strikes etc.

The SET has taken a beating lately due to the fear of more political violence that would probably account for more loss than the rally at the airport did, all on its own.

Not to provoke an argument but where did you get your data from, regarding the numbers of toursits? I work in hotels and my partner in tourism and we both have 'felt' a distinct drop in business. Perhaps this is our geographical location or out respective demongraphics????

Government numbers ....

I would assume demographics more than location. Increases in asian tourists, Russians etc ... if your target is Europeans and Yanks etc then it would likely be felt more. Out of curiosity when did you feel this drop as I know businessmen in Pattaya that have said they haven't had a "high season" per se since 2005. I know others that are doing quite well.

Would say year on year, and the statistics prove it. As for Patts I think this is a special place as I too know guy sthat could not be happier and others that are ready to throw in the towel, the Centara group is opening 2 MORE Pattaya properties this year alone.As for my demographics, they are mainly asian BUT my partner almost all Europeans. I can say with some certainty is that Russian toursim is up! I deal with these guys, but I feel that the $/head MUST be down as they are somewhat like the Brits back in the 80's with their package tours.

Furthermore I can also say that 'we' in the Thai hotel industry are taking a huge hit from local stable competition in particular Vietnam! so the next few weeks will be very interesting indeed.

Shame that the reporter did not mention how the PAD brought THE COUNTRY to a standstill with it's occupation of the airport. Thailand tourism is still suffering today due to this.

Shame on this poser who doesn't know what they are talking about. In fact visitors numbers are steady and climbing for a little while longer. Its the mass rioting and violence that will affect the tourism sector. Which sadly is going to happen in just a matter of days. One thing for sure even in the USA where protesting is more less a citizen's right if the people of america behaved like Taskins red's and Pad (to be fair) one, the police would shut it down and Thaskin would be in the gray bar hotel for inciting violence.

Nonsense

30,000 people turn up at an airport dressed in Yellow shirts, take over the airport no flights in or out. You are a tourist at the airport with your wife and family, for sure everyone is going to be terrified. The airport incident was the devistation of Thai tourism, and no don't kid yourself or anyone else. it has not picked up again, Terror at the Airport for Tourist

Would say year on year, and the statistics prove it. As for Patts I think this is a special place as I too know guy sthat could not be happier and others that are ready to throw in the towel, the Centara group is opening 2 MORE Pattaya properties this year alone.As for my demographics, they are mainly asian BUT my partner almost all Europeans. I can say with some certainty is that Russian toursim is up! I deal with these guys, but I feel that the $/head MUST be down as they are somewhat like the Brits back in the 80's with their package tours.

Furthermore I can also say that 'we' in the Thai hotel industry are taking a huge hit from local stable competition in particular Vietnam! so the next few weeks will be very interesting indeed.

I don't doubt that the $/head is down. The global financial situation particularly in the West is painful. The EU austerity measures etc ....

Staying on top of the trends is tough, which is why I am glad that at present 99%+ of mu business is Thai.

edit to get back to the topic ---- How did the SET do today? I haven't looked yet!

Edited by jdinasia

Quote: "Last year the Reds brought Bangkok to a standstill with a two month-long demonstration that drew an estimated 100,000 people at its peak, and ended in an army crackdown that left more than 90 people dead."

Shame that the reporter did not mention how the PAD brought THE COUNTRY to a standstill with it's occupation of the airport. Thailand tourism is still suffering today due to this.

I think it much more likely tourism was damaged by the images broadcast around the world of Bangkok burning and the deaths in the streets, all at the hands of the redshits, than the two week closure of the airport by the yellows.

Yes, the airport closure was not good, but at least it was non-violent.

Sorry to break your bubble mate.

Shame on this poser who doesn't know what they are talking about. In fact visitors numbers are steady and climbing for a little while longer. Its the mass rioting and violence that will affect the tourism sector. Which sadly is going to happen in just a matter of days. One thing for sure even in the USA where protesting is more less a citizen's right if the people of america behaved like Taskins red's and Pad (to be fair) one, the police would shut it down and Thaskin would be in the gray bar hotel for inciting violence.

Nonsense

30,000 people turn up at an airport dressed in Yellow shirts, take over the airport no flights in or out. You are a tourist at the airport with your wife and family, for sure everyone is going to be terrified. The airport incident was the devistation of Thai tourism, and no don't kid yourself or anyone else. it has not picked up again, Terror at the Airport for Tourist

After the reasonably cordial, informative exchange of ideas, mostly on topic, your post is like a breath of fresh air. Pity about the pig pen.

Nonsense

nonsense that about sums up your post.

getting back on topic sadly i dont think we have seen anything yet to the violence that will start when pt cannot form a govt

Why does ignorance prevail more in the educated, than the uneducated?

Chiang mai tourism has been abysmal for 3 years now. What happened 3 years ago?

What happened about 3 years ago? Hmmmmmmmm the Global Financial Crisis?

http://www.globalissues.org/article/768/global-financial-crisis

Global Financial Crisis

Author and Page information

* by Anup Shah

* This Page Last Updated Saturday, December 11, 2010

* This page: http://www.globalissues.org/article/768/global-financial-crisis.

* To print all information e.g. expanded side notes, shows alternative links, use the print version:

o http://www.globalissues.org/print/article/768

The global financial crisis, brewing for a while, really started to show its effects in the middle of 2007 and into 2008. Around the world stock markets have fallen, large financial institutions have collapsed or been bought out, and governments in even the wealthiest nations have had to come up with rescue packages to bail out their financial systems.

I could give you scads more links showing that it started in 2007 but was really felt in the latter 1/2 of 2008 ....

http://www.globaliss...inancial-crisis

Global Financial Crisis

* by Anup Shah

* This page: http://www.globaliss...nancial-crisis.

* To print all information e.g. expanded side notes, shows alternative links, use the print version:

o http://www.globaliss...int/article/768

The global financial crisis, brewing for a while, really started to show its effects in the middle of 2007 and into 2008. Around the world stock markets have fallen, large financial institutions have collapsed or been bought out, and governments in even the wealthiest nations have had to come up with rescue packages to bail out their financial systems.

I could give you scads more links showing that it started in 2007 but was really felt in the latter 1/2 of 2008 ....

I do not dispute, the World financial crash had an enormous effect on tourism, But others would dispute that the Airport seizure had any contribution towards failing tourism or in fact that there is any decline in tourism, You can not go on Government figures, that is just believing what someone wants you to believe.

If you are or were in the tourist sector industry, you will know without published figures that tourism is down considerably from 3 years ago. Yes agree 2 factors. Financial crash and Airport seizure..

I have no political stand in Thailand, I do not favor any against any other party, I just try to see things as they are and not how I wished they were

I do not dispute, the World financial crash had an enormous effect on tourism, But others would dispute that the Airport seizure had any contribution towards failing tourism or in fact that there is any decline in tourism, You can not go on Government figures, that is just believing what someone wants you to believe.

If you are or were in the tourist sector industry, you will know without published figures that tourism is down considerably from 3 years ago. Yes agree 2 factors. Financial crash and Airport seizure..

I have no political stand in Thailand, I do not favor any against any other party, I just try to see things as they are and not how I wished they were

Try 3 factors. The red shirt protests in both 2009 and particularly 2010 would have affected tourism.

I wonder how a baggage handlers strike at Heathrow affects ongoing British tourism.

Edited by whybother

Quote: "Last year the Reds brought Bangkok to a standstill with a two month-long demonstration that drew an estimated 100,000 people at its peak, and ended in an army crackdown that left more than 90 people dead."

I didn't realise that the "Yellow Shirts" have overtaken the Democrats even.... tsk tsk.

Thai tourism is suffering because of the exchange rate, the financial crisis and the high cost of oil (ie jet fuel). The prospect of protests after the election may also affect the summer tourist season.

If you say so.

Well what evidence or discusion points do you have to support your statements:

- "Brought the country to a stanstill" internally life went on.

- "Thailand tourism is still suffering today due to this"

You attempt to castigate the oringinal poster but you failed to mention that the red shirt protests also drove tourists away.

You mention "........and ended in an army crackdown that left more than 90 people dead." There is a lot more to tis point but you fail to show balance.

http://www.globaliss...inancial-crisis

Global Financial Crisis

* by Anup Shah

* This page: http://www.globaliss...nancial-crisis.

o http://www.globaliss...int/article/768

You say "............. and aisrport seizure. Thats' an opinion not a fact. What do you have to prove your claim?

I am sure that the airport rally had some negative affect on tourism in the short term ---- Tourism itself isn't down in Thailand that I can see, but tourism has certainly shifted away from Europeans and other Western nations more towards Asians and Eastern Europeans. I do not doubt that many people in the industry were not prepared for that shift. If you are "seeing things" as they are and not how you wished you would see the increase in some sectors and decrease in others and an overall increase in numbers of people (and probably a decrease in how much they are spending pp.)

People relying on tourist income from Western countries, particularly those hit hardest by the Global Financial Crisis need to adjust their strategies.

Overall numbers are up? Perhaps the 'islands', but certainly not in BKK or Patts!

Yes, overall numbers are up. I am not sure that your assumption regarding where is correct. As to Sotsira's post ---- I think the political violence of the reds cost the country the most both in the short-term and in the longer term. It certainly cost the most in terms of damage. The image of Thailand got dinged by both but days and days of reporting about violence in the capitol certainly hurt worse than passengers stranded for about a week. Other countries have had similar results from airport strikes etc.

The SET has taken a beating lately due to the fear of more political violence that would probably account for more loss than the rally at the airport did, all on its own.

Not to provoke an argument but where did you get your data from, regarding the numbers of toursits? I work in hotels and my partner in tourism and we both have 'felt' a distinct drop in business. Perhaps this is our geographical location or out respective demongraphics????

What's not been mentioned is that tourists may be simply choosing other countries, China and Vietnam perhaps.

I think it much more likely tourism was damaged by the images broadcast around the world of Bangkok burning and the deaths in the streets, all at the hands of the redshits, than the two week closure of the airport by the yellows.

Yes, the airport closure was not good, but at least it was non-violent.

Sorry to break your bubble mate.

no contest reds have done much more harm when yellows took over airport tourists where given 2,000 baht a day to help with extra hotel and things. My friends abroad commented it looked like a load of grannies and not at all frightening. contract that with reds on rampage. You must have a mental deficiency if you really thing yellows action did as much harm. Yellows where peaceful and left airport clean at end. Reds went on rampage and tried to burn down BKK

Well here is another lot of opinion, who started the violence, if you were not standing next to the person who gave the order or next to the person who made a shot, then it is all your opinion who started it, that makes it bigoted opinion and that is the worst kind, for it is not open to debate. I wasn’t there I do not know, even though I followed it on T.V and seen the U-Tube, but I was not there

As I stated I have no political stance at all in Thailand, its not my country, but I have noted as an impartial observer, that Farang supporters of the Yellow (camp may we say) far accede the supporters of the (red camp) But the supporters of the red (camp) seem to be a lot more open minded and less prejudice.

Before you make your comment: read what I have written as your comment will probably show I am right.

Not going to take sides but I was in Chiang Mai when the airports were closed by the yellows protest and all it did was give me a few days extra holiday. Had no problem walking around the moat and doing my normal daily things...

Now If I had been in Bangkok when the Reds held their protest I think I would have felt a bit more intimidated...

Thaksin doesn't impress me as someone you can actually have GOOD FAITH negotiations with. Sorry about that, but isn't that obviously true based on his past words and actions?

I do feel he is a tragic figure and totally linked to the probably grim near term future of Thailand. I feel this is going to end badly somehow probably for both Thaksin AND Thailand, that Black Songkran and Bangkok Burning were precursors of something even more tragic.

UNFORTUNATELY I agree with you.

Well here is another lot of opinion, who started the violence, if you were not standing next to the person who gave the order or next to the person who made a shot, then it is all your opinion who started it, that makes it bigoted opinion and that is the worst kind, for it is not open to debate. I wasn’t there I do not know, even though I followed it on T.V and seen the U-Tube, but I was not there

As I stated I have no political stance at all in Thailand, its not my country, but I have noted as an impartial observer, that Farang supporters of the Yellow (camp may we say) far accede the supporters of the (red camp) But the supporters of the red (camp) seem to be a lot more open minded and less prejudice.

Before you make your comment: read what I have written as your comment will probably show I am right.

It is clear to me as a follower of Thai politics for many years that the majority of foreign anti-Thaksinistas are most definitely NOT pro PAD/yellow. If you don't understand how that can be, study up.

Well here is another lot of opinion, who started the violence, if you were not standing next to the person who gave the order or next to the person who made a shot, then it is all your opinion who started it, that makes it bigoted opinion and that is the worst kind, for it is not open to debate. I wasn't there I do not know, even though I followed it on T.V and seen the U-Tube, but I was not there

I think you get a mixture on both sides. Some think that their side is as white as white, and it was all the fault of the other side.

In reality, there was fault on both sides, and a quite a few posters see that, but post against the opposing sides "we were as white as white - it was all their fault" posts.

If the red shirts had not stormed parliament and Thaicom before April 10, and not had their armed militia on the night of April 10, there might have been a completely different outcome.

If the police/army had not allowed the red shirts to set up their petrol soaked, bamboo and tyre barricades and then, later, not allowed the red shirts to restock their burning tyres, there might also have been a different outcome.

If the red shirts had not set buildings alight in Bangkok and the provinces they would be much better placed now.

Who ever started the shooting on April 10, the question should be: Why were "peaceful protesters" armed with guns and grenades?

Edited by whybother

Well here is another lot of opinion, who started the violence, if you were not standing next to the person who gave the order or next to the person who made a shot, then it is all your opinion who started it, that makes it bigoted opinion and that is the worst kind, for it is not open to debate. I wasn't there I do not know, even though I followed it on T.V and seen the U-Tube, but I was not there

I'm not sure where your red camp supporters are more open minded comment comes from. Certainly not from my experience on here.B)

I didn't realise that the "Yellow Shirts" have overtaken the Democrats even.... tsk tsk.

The airport was inoperable for less than a week and PAD leaders have been charged, some found guilty, ordered to pay damages. PAD leaders appealed, ongoing.

The reds were busy from March to May 2010, caused 91 deaths (mostly indirect by being violent and provoking). Lots of UDD leaders charged, only two currently jailed, awaiting process. Some buildings torched still to be renovated, rebuild. The militant arm of the PTPUDD with 60+ grenades raining down on Bangkok (killing a Thai lady at BTS Saladaeng a.o.) did more to damage tourism than those yellow-shirts who apologised to tourists for interrupting their flights.

(edit: add: if we are to believe the TAT tourists numbers have improved even with national protests and a global financial crisis. Tourism still suffering because of the yellow-shirts, my foot)

Edited by rubl

OK, I think we've had enough rehash of the red/yellow antics of the past. The thread is about violence after this upcoming election in a matter of days. Stick to that topic.

OK, I think we've had enough rehash of the red/yellow antics of the past. The thread is about violence after this upcoming election in a matter of days. Stick to that topic.

Thanks ....

Well boys, the game is upon us. Time to put on your best hair shirt, stock up on essentials, turn on the telly and root for your team, be it red, yellow, blue, etc.

Quite amusing how farang with no skin in the game pick sides in the ongoing political train wreck known as Thai politics, as if their opinion actually matters. que rico!