Butter

gharknes

for those that are not from the UK or Ireland and have no idea what i'm talking about - in other words you've been taking margerine all your life branded as butter (which it isn't) forget this thread as you have never actually tasted real butter as it should be.

I had no idea that the only real butter in the world was in the UK.

Interesting that British cuisine isn't more highly rated isn't it?

I'm sure that the French will be crushed to learn this new fact. :o

i believe the subject is about butter...............been to ireland have you ????

you've been judged :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of other observations....

1. - I noticed that marg is often genericly referred to as "butter" in the USA...not so in UK, where the two are hardly ever confused..

i suspect the same applies all over the world, in saying that it could well be that the stuff from Ireland and UK should be branded as something else......Dairy Cream Spread..... and not butter, but then it's the butter and margerine relationship that I believe is at the root of the issue as you say.

I suspect the main difference between pure butter in the UK and Ireland and possibly other places around the plannet is that there is no animal fat added in the process, it is made only from milk, this is a wild guess on my part but would explain the margerine taste that spoils other so called butters.
Milk is animal fat - d'you think cows produce sunflower oil!?!?!
anchor is margerine like flora, lurpak i believe is also margerine.

anchor make butter in NZ that is exported to the UK, Lurpak is butter...

I currently have australian butter in my fridge and it too tastes like margerine, one thing I have observed is that if you smell the butter here it has a distinct margerine smell, Irish butter has no real smell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like the old "Stork" ads...they couldn't tell the difference either...

I currently have australian butter in my fridge and it too tastes like margerine, one thing I have observed is that if you smell the butter here it has a distinct margerine smell, Irish butter has no real smell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just like the old "Stork" ads...they couldn't tell the difference either...

they all taste like stork including the exported stuff to the UK, my guess is they are not very popular, although I guess there are a few tastless <deleted> that think it is healthier, it seems the only people that have donated anything to this thread are those that have tasted the real thing, sorry but it seems most haven't, and yes animal fat is animal fat including milk but there is a big difference between milk and fatty tissue as you well know....pointless argument....you are just churning

they all taste like stork including the exported stuff to the UK, my guess is they are not very popular, although I guess there are a few tastless <deleted> that think it is healthier, it seems the only people that have donated anything to this thread are those that have tasted the real thing, sorry but it seems most haven't, and yes animal fat is animal fat including milk but there is a big difference between milk and fatty tissue as you well know....pointless argument....you are just churning

I don't know Stork, but butter should just be made from milk. Some milk is better quality than other milk, has a higher cream content as well. So the butter tastes better!!

animal fat is not put into butter, maybe it is in some margerines?

Possibly some cheap factory butters taste not so good, but you pay for what you get I suppose.

what is a tasteless <deleted>? :o

Right this might sound like a rather silly question but I have to ask.

perhaps you are not missing the butter, but ireland. :o

Having tried several different brands over here I still cannot find a butter that hasn't got that horible margerine flavour, being from Ireland/UK where our butter is pure butter and is a flavour that is hard to substitute on your toast or spuds, has anyone found a nice dairy butter that tastes like our home stuff from UK/Ireland.....I miss it so much

New research on coconut oil and butter show that butter is better than you think.  They are arguably better that extra-virgin olive oil for for cooking with high-heatcooking.  I tend to agree with research that say that margerine is BAD for health.

I stay away from Orchid butter simply beacause the aluminium foil packaging is not lined with parchment/baking (?) paper (unwaxed).  I settle for Allowerie, Imperial and sometimes Anchor.  The best butter I've ever tasted is the Horizon brand organic  creamery (European Style) butter available in good old Eugene, Oregon.  And yes, inferior milk makes inferior butter, but technique in butter-making is also key. (By the way, I find Indian milk to be the best, but the taste of the butter is not quite as impressive as Horizon's as far as I remember--Ghee(uhm.impressive?!) is of course, a different matter altogether).  I suspect that Scottish butter must taste good too as I have tasted some Scottish-made cookies and biscuits and they were yummy.  I too vow to try Irish butter before  I die.  Irish cream coffee alcohol mix of some sort that a friend of mine had me try in Oregon was simply IMPRESSIVE!.. though I can't tell whether it is really an irish thing or a U.S.-American interpretation. 

Have you tried using French Clarified butter  available at UFM and probably Villa and carrefour too? 

For all you butter lovers, try visiting www.butterisbest.com.  My love for butter got me there a year or two back. 

Enjoy,

BKK

Some good observations there, but your aversion to Orchid is without basis. In Canada, all butter is wrapped in foil alone. No big deal really. Try Orchid. It's way better than Anchor. Can't speak for Allowerie, since I've never tried it.

There are distinctive differences also within Europe, even within the same country or region. Milk from cows grazing in the fields does not taste the same as milk from cows fed industrial animal feeds (tapioca, etc., many containing even animal meat and bones)

I just remembered reading a BBC article recently about some unusual things that go into animal feeds and if you have the stomach for it you may read it here.

Give me butter made with milk from cows that grazed on Irish meadows!

There are distinctive differences also within Europe, even within the same country or region. Milk from cows grazing in the fields does not taste the same as milk from cows fed industrial animal feeds (tapioca, etc., many containing even animal meat and bones)

I just remembered reading a BBC article recently about some unusual things that go into animal feeds and if you have the stomach for it you may read it here.

Give me butter made with milk from cows that grazed on Irish meadows!

In the interests of science and clogged arteries i have decided to try everything on the butter shelf in my local Morrisons(UK) and started with Brittany Butter(with sea salt crystals)an own brand butter from France.

Anyway its turned out to be the "Dogs danglies",and i'm looking forward to the next one.

I will draw the line at the Offal topic,though :o

Thanks for the suggestion. I grew up on orchid...My mom has always used it. I might give it a try again, but I don't think it'll be better than Allowerie in small packs (creamery butter)--Of course, I may be worng, after all it's been quite a while since I last tasted orchid butter.

New research on coconut oil and butter show that butter is better than you think.  They are arguably better that extra-virgin olive oil for for cooking with high-heatcooking.  I tend to agree with research that say that margerine is BAD for health.

I stay away from Orchid butter simply beacause the aluminium foil packaging is not lined with parchment/baking (?) paper (unwaxed).  I settle for Allowerie, Imperial and sometimes Anchor.  The best butter I've ever tasted is the Horizon brand organic  creamery (European Style) butter available in good old Eugene, Oregon.  And yes, inferior milk makes inferior butter, but technique in butter-making is also key. (By the way, I find Indian milk to be the best, but the taste of the butter is not quite as impressive as Horizon's as far as I remember--Ghee(uhm.impressive?!) is of course, a different matter altogether).  I suspect that Scottish butter must taste good too as I have tasted some Scottish-made cookies and biscuits and they were yummy.  I too vow to try Irish butter before  I die.  Irish cream coffee alcohol mix of some sort that a friend of mine had me try in Oregon was simply IMPRESSIVE!.. though I can't tell whether it is really an irish thing or a U.S.-American interpretation.  

Have you tried using French Clarified butter  available at UFM and probably Villa and carrefour too? 

For all you butter lovers, try visiting www.butterisbest.com.  My love for butter got me there a year or two back. 

Enjoy,

BKK

Some good observations there, but your aversion to Orchid is without basis. In Canada, all butter is wrapped in foil alone. No big deal really. Try Orchid. It's way better than Anchor. Can't speak for Allowerie, since I've never tried it.

Horizon Creamery butter is made from milk obtainned from grass-fed cow and it sure does have a much more wholesome taste than those available here. I don't know if Irish butter is better than Oregon's organic Horizon butter, but I think I know the taste of real butter. Grassfed cow's milk and ghee has a desirable content of omega 3 as opposed to grain-fed cow's milk which has unbalanced levels of omega 6.

Horizon Creamery butter is made from milk obtainned from grass-fed cow and it sure does have a much more wholesome taste than those available here.  I don't know if Irish butter is better than Oregon's organic Horizon butter, but I think I know the taste of real butter. Grassfed cow's milk and ghee has a desirable content of omega 3 as opposed to grain-fed cow's milk which has unbalanced levels of omega 6.

what about butter from cows fed on human remains???

butter tastes like marg - ergo - marg tastes like butter...

maybe its not the products but the taster who dcan't tell the difference between a big long-legged bird and a reincarnated religious figure-head...

If you want to be put off the thought of eating margarine, try spending some time near the factory that makes the stuff.

I spent a very educational month in the rural metropolis of Narrabri one week. (For the uneducated it is a pimple on the map in northern NSW Australia) The site of our interest was a cable that ran between the town tip and the margaine factory, so it did not matter which way the wind blew, you had avery fragrent experience. To make matters worse it was mid summer.

The scarey thing was that the tip smelt better than the margarine factory. :o

Give me butter, I will risk the dammage to the arteries. I can make it without the chemistry set. :D

As to Allowrie, the dairy farmers in the district it is from would take exception to it being called margarine. It is butter, altough they do make an easy spread version poluted with some oil or another to make it spread straigh out of the fridge.

OK I've done some testing of many types of butter in Thailand and have 2 that are not actually too bad, rated on a scale of 1-10

Lurpack gets a 6 from 10

Anchor gets an 8 from 10 and will be using from now on, it is the best I've tried so far and is quite acceptable, it still falls short of Irish butter but is not bad at all.

By the time I have spread my vegemite on it - can't tell the difference anyway!

:D

Bring on the Vegemite vs Marmite caped crusaders... :o

you are asking for trouble from the little bald fat chinaman jai

I didn't know RDN was chinese... :D

:D:D:D

I must admit to using Flora - even on baked or mashed potatoes. :D (Must watch the cholesterol level). And Marmite certainly does mask the flavour. :D

OK I've done some testing of many types of butter in Thailand and have 2 that are not actually too bad, rated on a scale of 1-10

Lurpack gets a 6 from 10

Anchor gets an 8 from 10 and will be using from now on, it is the best I've tried so far and is quite acceptable, it still falls short of Irish butter but is not bad at all.

anchor is margerine like flora, lurpak i believe is also margerine

So you finally decide on the "butter" that was recommended to you about a month ago.

By the way as a kid I used to make butter,in a real creamery on dairy farm, so YES I have tasted butter!

I know the difference between Jersey, Guernsey and Friesian milk too...

Lurpack gets a 6 from 10

anchor is margerine like flora, lurpak i believe is also margerine

So you finally decide on the "butter" that was recommended to you about a month ago.

By the way as a kid I used to make butter,in a real creamery on dairy farm, so YES I have tasted butter!

I know the difference between Jersey, Guernsey and Friesian milk too...

good for you :o:D