Telephone And Tv Cables In Same As 1.5Mm2 Conduit?

kloghead

The topic title pretty much sums up my query. I need to run one telephone line and one TV (coax) cable for about 7 meters inside PVC conduit that will also have a few 1.5mm2 cables. These cables will carry fairly low amperage--ceiling lights, light switches and one double plug receptacle. I reckon the load will be about 3-4 amps (5 amps max) in the selected conduit.

Do you guys think bundling these together for a (relatively) short distance will cause interference with the TV and 'phone functions?

Thanks

edit--the topic title should read : "Telephone and TV cables in same conduit as 1.5 mm2 cables"...

Edited by kloghead

TV and telephone where I come from are considered low voltage systems (under 50 volts) and is permissible to be in the same space such as a conduit/raceway. Do not run house power wiring in the same raceway and avoid even using a conduit to strap/tie wrap a TV/phone cable to the outside of any power conduits for more than one or two meters as this can also cause poor signals.

Basically TV/phone can be together and power over 50 volts in a separate conduit.

Avoid running the phone and sat cables in the same space as the power (sat and phone will be OK together).

Not only is there the risk of interference but also what happens in the event of an insulation failure putting full mains on the handset that's glued to your ear :(

Avoid running the phone and sat cables in the same space as the power (sat and phone will be OK together).

Not only is there the risk of interference but also what happens in the event of an insulation failure putting full mains on the handset that's glued to your ear :(

agreed

TH phone/internett lines are noisy enough

and AC 230V in handset is exciting ;)

There shouldn't be any interference but for safety purposes electrical lines should be in their own conduit....due to a short in the lines which could melt/short other lines in the same conduit,you wouldn't want 220 volts possibly running on your very low amperage 48-52V phone line, your TV cable line,etc....that could end up being a shocking and damaging experience. But with that being said, I took the risk and ran my 6Mb ADSL line (a black phone line like strung on poles) down a 220V electrical conduct for about 10 feet to avoid punching a hole through a concrete wall to install an ADSL/phone line...the ADSL line runs fine...runs as full speed...and the phone company was fully aware I did this when they connected up the line to the connection box on the pole. But if the electrical line ever shorts to the ADSL line I'll probably smoke my ADSL modem, and maybe the separate router, blow a fuse in the phone junction box on the pole, and maybe ????? And in your case you could damage to TV equipment also. Keep in mind that just because an electrical circuit may normally carry only 5 amps (which is way more than enough to electrocute a person under the right conditions), it probably runs to a circuit breaker that won't trip until around 10-20amps are running on the line due to a overload/short. Yeap, no interference expected; but you are adding some risk.

Edited by Pib

OK guys, thanks for the answers. I should have asked my question a bit better--such as "can well-shielded telephone and coax cables be bundled in the same conduit with 1.5 mm2 power cables for about a 7 meter run without experiencing interference?"

It appears David006 thinks they can (unless I've misunderstood his reply) and longball, Crossy and kata disagree.

The RS catalog has some RG6 but it's 6500 baht for a 100 meter roll :bah:Everything from that company seems exorbitantly expensive...

RG6/U Surveillance and CCTV

RG6/U cable specifically designed for the use within surveillance and CCTV applications.

• 18awg solid bare copper conductor
    Foam polyethylene insulation
    Solid bare copper braid shield
    95% bare copper braid/shield coverage

I'll wait for some more info before I go any further...

Thanks again

edit: Pib, I missed your message as I was typing my reply. The circuit I had planned on bundling the TV and phone lines with will def have an mini-RCBO for just the reasons you mentioned.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Edited by kloghead

Highly unlikely any interference will occur due to the widely different frequencies involved, levels/types of signals, and the shielding. Heck, just look at all the DSL/phone, cable TV, and electrical lines run on poles on the sois of Thailand...usually the telephone/DSL and cable TV lines are within inches of each other and/or touching/interlaced as they string their way down the poles, through trees, around power transformers, on buildings, etc. Oh yea, the electrical lines will be very nearby (feet to inches away). And of course these lines outside are subject to other environmental interferences. And how many of us have a cable/satellite TV line,electrical lines, and maybe a phone/DSL line lying on top of each other or strapped together in whatever cabinet/console we have our TVs, stereos, phones, modems, etc., setting in. If these things don't cause any noticeable interference (and even some risk) then running a few more feet of shielded cable inside a conduit shouldn't unless damaging the electrical lines when pulling/pushing the TV & phone lines through a small conduit....or the electrical lines already have a nick/insulation problem and by cramping more cables in the conduit it moves them just enough to cause a short. It's just the additional electrical safety risk, whatever that additional risk is. IMHO: interference--no; electrical risk--yes.

seems our sparky friends are confusing the question a little....it is a bit of a no brainer that close proximity of household current carrying conductors to any signal/data carrying conductors is a no no... in which they are correct both from an induction/interference and safety aspect. (and is also against western code even to pass them through the same hole in a stud or wall)

Telephone cable is unshielded twisted pair (UTP) and a coax is shielded by one two or three layers of foil and/or braid. The issue here is interference by induction or radiation.

Would suggest you bite the bullet on the cost of some decent coax as well as using good quality connectors ( avoid the chinsy aluminum hex screw types (think they are called RG3 connrs found on many hardware store splitters and cables). Also solder the centre pin to the conductor if possible.

...it is all about reducing possible losses and induced noise...good luck

seems our sparky friends are confusing the question a little....it is a bit of a no brainer that close proximity of household current carrying conductors to any signal/data carrying conductors is a no no... in which they are correct both from an induction/interference and safety aspect. (and is also against western code even to pass them through the same hole in a stud or wall)

Telephone cable is unshielded twisted pair (UTP) and a coax is shielded by one two or three layers of foil and/or braid. The issue here is interference by induction or radiation.

Would suggest you bite the bullet on the cost of some decent coax as well as using good quality connectors ( avoid the chinsy aluminum hex screw types (think they are called RG3 connrs found on many hardware store splitters and cables). Also solder the centre pin to the conductor if possible.

as for interference, it is my experience ADSL signals are more resistant than plain phone signals. Not in same conduit, but crossing or going paralell with 230V

as for safety in same conduit, in my homecountry electrical engineer would simply loose his 230 volt lisence

as for interference, it is my experience ADSL signals are more resistant than plain phone signals. Not in same conduit, but crossing or going paralell with 230V

ooops ..your experience??..all a matter of how far the DSLAM is from your location, quality of UTP etc

POTS service is 3-3.4 mbs and very hardy..ADSL and HDSL very susceptible to line characteristics...n'em mind not the topic here anyways...

:whistling:

as for safety in same conduit, in my homecountry electrical engineer would simply loose his 230 volt lisence

oops ..your experience??..all a matter of how far the DSLAM is from your location, quality of UTP etc

POTS service is 3-3.4 kbs and very hardy..ADSL and HDSL very susceptible to line characteristics...n'em mind not the topic here anyways...

:whistling:

movin on....

• 2 weeks later...

Telecommunications and data cabling must be segregated from power cabling by means of the following.

1. Spacing. eg, 50mm min from power cables

2. By means of a barrier between the comms cables and the power cabling.eg a separate conduit or duct.

Source AS3000.