Thai Troops Accused Of Pre-Vote Intimidation

webfact

Thai troops accused of pre-vote intimidation

BANGKOK, June 29, 2011 (AFP) - Four Thai soldiers have been arrested in the northeast of Thailand for allegedly intimidating opposition activists ahead of a general election at the weekend, police said Wednesday.

The arrests came after Puea Thai party canvassers complained the troops drove to their villages in Nakhon Ratchasima province and told them not to get involved in politics, Police Lieutenant Colonel Suebtragool Theppiyawong said.

Two sergeants, a private and a sub-lieutenant, along with one civilian, have been held since Tuesday and have denied intimidation. All five were also charged with carrying illegal firearms, Suebtragool said.

The powerful Thai army has a long history of meddling in politics in Thailand, where there have been 18 coups or coup attempts in the past 79 years, the last in 2006 deposing the now-fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra.

The commander-in-chief of the military, General Prayut Chan-O-Cha, has pledged to be neutral in Sunday's election but has also waded into the political fray by calling for the electorate to cast votes for "good people"..

His comments were taken as an attack on Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's sister, who is the main opposition candidate for prime minister and likely to win the election, according to polls.

She is up against incumbent Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, head of the Democrat Party, whose rise to power in 2008, through a parliamentary vote, is widely thought to have been backed by the military.

The army has been making its presence felt ahead of the election in parts of the Thai northeast, the opposition's stronghold, visiting villages to promote the development projects of the king.

The Thai military sees itself as the guardian of the royal institution and frequently cites perceived threats to the beloved monarchy to justify its actions.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-06-29

Consider the source of the complaint. This seems to be another campaign strategy for some of the parties. They see boogie men behind every brush. Doubt if the outcome between the army and the police in this case will become public knowledge. Wonder what the illegal weapons consist of? No mention of charges of intimidation?

Consider the source of the complaint. This seems to be another campaign strategy for some of the parties. They see boogie men behind every brush. Doubt if the outcome between the army and the police in this case will become public knowledge. Wonder what the illegal weapons consist of? No mention of charges of intimidation?

"All five were also charged with carrying illegal firearms" seems they were

is this a case of the government having no control over the army or having control over the army?

It's a case of the army not having control over every individual soldier.

Why do you support everything that is wrong in this country ?

is this a case of the government having no control over the army or having control over the army?

video blocked

click on the message that comes up and watch on you tube.

Why do you support everything that is wrong in this country ?

Everything? I don't support Thaksin.

Why do you blame everything wrong in this country on the government?

The army should be in their barracks unless called out by the government.(maybe they have been?)

They are clearly trying to brand all red shirts as anti monarchist so they can take action against them.

It will soon (once the branding is complete) be against the law to support Thaksin or the PTP in any way.

Very interesting video! The Army are clearly going into Red Shirt villages and meddling in the political processs. I loved the reporter, Rachel O'Brian's final remark ' many will be looking closely at the Green Shirts next move!! That just about says it all!!

Very interesting video! The Army are clearly going into Red Shirt villages and meddling in the political processs. I loved the reporter, Rachel O'Brian's final remark ' many will be looking closely at the Green Shirts next move!! That just about says it all!!

The lady travels around it seems. A few days ago she wrote about police brutality in relation to "Thai elections revive drug war controversy"

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110624/wl_asia_afp/thailandvoterightsdrugspolice

Seems we have to stay away from both army and police?

<snip>

Yes, there are injustices in Thailand which really need to be addressed, but then comes the big lie painting Thai politics to be a Democratic elite versus a Pheu Thai poor. When the red mafia travelled down to Bangkok to burn it they went often in brand new pickups paid for by the despotic nepotism of their multi-billionaire warlord trickling just enough incentive down the line to keep the propaganda/intimidation machine working.

I pray the Democrats win, not because I'm particularly fond of them, it's just that the mayhem following a Pheu Thai victory may well lead to a 19th coup which would in my oppinion spell curtains for Thailand in terms of world oppinion and foreign money would flow out causing hardship for all, and not for the benefit of the rural poor that's for sure.

They were charged with illegal weapons and that qualifies as intimidation, charges or not.

Edited by unanimosity

Those of you not intimidated by illegal weapons would never understand.

Those of you not intimidated by weapons might not understand. Like the MP candidate who harasses some military showing a weapon and may have said 'you know who I am?'

<snip>

Yes, there are injustices in Thailand which really need to be addressed, but then comes the big lie painting Thai politics to be a Democratic elite versus a Pheu Thai poor. When the red mafia travelled down to Bangkok to burn it they went often in brand new pickups paid for by the despotic nepotism of their multi-billionaire warlord trickling just enough incentive down the line to keep the propaganda/intimidation machine working.

I pray the Democrats win, not because I'm particularly fond of them, it's just that the mayhem following a Pheu Thai victory may well lead to a 19th coup which would in my oppinion spell curtains for Thailand in terms of world oppinion and foreign money would flow out causing hardship for all, and not for the benefit of the rural poor that's for sure.

No one (except perhaps the writer of the above) believes they came to Bangkok to burn it. If so why did they wait a couple of months? The fires were lit after the army started slaughtering them. I am not surprised a few red shirts got a bit angry about that!

I also don't think Thaksin gave them 10,000 pickups which are in any case pretty useless against tanks. The banks and finance companies (which are owned by the elite of Bangkok) own the pickups! The yellows of course use porches to drive into civilians. They wouldn't be seen dead in a pickup :)

If I was Thai I would so be looking to find away to support the military right now. I wish them the best of luck in battling the red cancer in the north.

Fortunately, the Thai population does not share your view of living under a military dictatorship. If this is your preference, I suggest you consider one of the African nations or perhaps Syria.. IThe view you have expressed is an endorsement of the suppression of civil rights.

<snip>

No one (except perhaps the writer of the above) believes they came to Bangkok to burn it. If so why did they wait a couple of months? The fires were lit after the army started slaughtering them. I am not surprised a few red shirts got a bit angry about that!

I also don't think Thaksin gave them 10,000 pickups which are in any case pretty useless against tanks. The banks and finance companies (which are owned by the elite of Bangkok) own the pickups! The yellows of course use porches to drive into civilians. They wouldn't be seen dead in a pickup :)

You missed the video with the red leader asking the rabble to take a bottle of petrol down to Bangkok I take it. It's a little too soon to re-write this particular bit of history, arson was prepared for and the actions of the government in breaking up the demo were the pretext given for it, but it was as cynically coreogaphed as any terrorist action ever was.

You cannot be serious. :blink:

People around my home town were openly bragging about burning Bangkok six weeks before the deed was done. Pick-ups full of youths/thugs were paid upon arrival at the protest, and varying bonuses were given for assorted weapons, petrol, other stuff that was smuggled into the protest site.

The fact that the money was only paid on arrival, and not on subsequent days, lead to many of these youths/thugs returning home out of pocket, and rather disenfranchised with the Thaksin machine.

The army should be in their barracks unless called out by the government.(maybe they have been?)

They are clearly trying to brand all red shirts as anti monarchist so they can take action against them.

It will soon (once the branding is complete) be against the law to support Thaksin or the PTP in any way.

Agree;

We live in a third World country where the Military are a separate entity from the populace. In your country and mine, the Military is there to protect the people and to serve the people. You probably wouldn’t have it any other way.

The Military comes under the War office, the War office is a Government department. The Government was elected by a majority vote by democratic means. It could never be that the Military could or would interfere with voting. The people of your country or mine would not accept it, would you not give the Thai people the same respect?

War does not determine who is right It determines who is left

You cannot be serious. :blink:

People around my home town were openly bragging about burning Bangkok six weeks before the deed was done. Pick-ups full of youths/thugs were paid upon arrival at the protest, and varying bonuses were given for assorted weapons, petrol, other stuff that was smuggled into the protest site.

The fact that the money was only paid on arrival, and not on subsequent days, lead to many of these youths/thugs returning home out of pocket, and rather disenfranchised with the Thaksin machine.

So they sat on the petrol for 6 weeks without using it?

There is no doubt they thought to set fire to barricades and tires but the buildings were in response to murder!!

Many were given money to compensate for loss of earnings but don't tell me the protesters were there just for the money. I spent a lot of time with them and they were passionately motivated by what they saw as injustices. NOne of them returned home with a profit of that I am sure. They were poor people who couldn't afford to protest that long without some help.

There is no doubt they thought to set fire to barricades and tires but the buildings were in response to murder!!

Many were given money to compensate for loss of earnings but don't tell me the protesters were there just for the money. I spent a lot of time with them and they were passionately motivated by what they saw as injustices. NOne of them returned home with a profit of that I am sure. They were poor people who couldn't afford to protest that long without some help.

They claim there was murder on April 10. Why did they wait another 6 weeks?

They raised the stakes every step of the way. Pushing and prodding. When their game was up, they finished off by lighting a few fires.

If anyone thinks Thailand will become a paradise if the PTP wins and Thaksin comes back you are deludeing yourself. The poor will remain as they are now no better and maybe worse off.

Keep deludeing yourselves that the redshirt leaders are a bunch of nice guys and I have a bit of swamp land to sale you

They raised the stakes every step of the way. Pushing and prodding. When their game was up, they finished off by lighting a few fires.

Exactly. They didn't retaliate the first time so the argument that they came to town to burn it down is clearly wrong.

In fact they were incredibly well behaved despite the provocation.

It was the second round of murder that did it.

Exactly. They didn't retaliate the first time so the argument that they came to town to burn it down is clearly wrong.

In fact they were incredibly well behaved despite the provocation.

It was the second round of murder that did it.

:lol: I wouldn't call shooting grenades as being well behaved.

There plan from the start was to get the government to fall.

The red shirts pushed and provoked, including storming parliament and Thaicom. The government offered elections, but stayed where they were.

On April 10, the red shirts went for the sympathy with a few deaths, but their militia got caught out shooting guns and grenades.

They holed up in the middle of Bangkok, trying harder to make the government fall, either by pressure because they couldn't do anything, or because of the army staging a coup to control things.

When that didn't work, the red shirts attacked the army outside of their barricades. Finally, when they army did move in to shut the protests down, the red shirts went on a rampage, not only in Bangkok, but in the provinces.

They wanted an uprising, but no one supported it.

They said from the start to bring bottles to fill with fuel. They said on the stages that if the army moved in they would burn down buildings.

And what happened? They did what they said they would do right from the start.