Looking For The Other Forest Fan!

PostmanPat

As a grizzly old Nottingham Forest fan of over 40 years, I naturally assumed that amongst all these Man U., Liverpool, Chelsea etc fans living in CM I was the only Forest fan. So, was surprised yesterday to be told that there is another fool like me in CM!!!

Apparently, there is a Ford Everest around CM, possibly Hang Dong end of town with a Nottingham Forest sticker. Is this mystery person a contributor to or reader of Thai Visa? If so, identify yourself, please. Most seasons I spend long periods crying into my beer over the sad demise of this still proud but not much good any more club and it would be good to find another sad deluded person like me who every year hopes for a return to the Premiership

Also, if anyone else knows who this person might be, let me know......Forest fans are easily recognised, often depressed, frequently talking about the great days under Cloughie some 35 years ago, almost suicidal for long periods between August and May each year!!!

Loads of sad fans around if they have the guts to own up ! I'm like you with crying in my beer about past glory but I'm a Southampton fan and remember the day at Wembley in 1976 when we beat MU to win the FA Cup. Still; at least we are back up to the Championship so we will meet your Forest boys in the new season.

Edited by trainman34014

A long way from Chiang Mai - I am in Buriram province.

That makes at least 4 of us.

First game I saw was Forest vs Spurs 1967.

My first game was a nil nil draw with Stoke in 1964 I think. Cant remember the whole team but it was something like this Grummitt. Mochan. Winfield. Whitefoot. McKinlay. Newton. Addison. Wignall. Vowden. Quigley. Storey-Moore.

Happy days!!

Come on you Rams!!!!!

OK. Now lets get down to it! Worst record in the history of the Premiership. 11 points in a whole season. Last season Forest easily did the double including 5 goals at the City Ground. Still, youve got the best non league manager going in non league Nigel!! Cant wait for next season. Forest up, Direby down!!

A long way from Chiang Mai - I am in Buriram province.

That makes at least 4 of us.

First game I saw was Forest vs Spurs 1967.

My first game was a nil nil draw with Stoke in 1964 I think. Cant remember the whole team but it was something like this Grummitt. Mochan. Winfield. Whitefoot. McKinlay. Newton. Addison. Wignall. Vowden. Quigley. Storey-Moore.

Happy days!!

Saturday 28 October 1967League Division OneCity Ground (49,946)Nottm For3 - 1Man Utd

Happy days !!!!!

Come on you Rams!!!!!

OK. Now lets get down to it! Worst record in the history of the Premiership. 11 points in a whole season. Last season Forest easily did the double including 5 goals at the City Ground. Still, youve got the best non league manager going in non league Nigel!! Cant wait for next season. Forest up, Direby down!!

Blah, blah, blah, You'll be going on about your 2 european cup wins next!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all our faults, and there are a few, we have still sold over 18,000 season tickets so far this close season,own our own ground, except for the 10 million mortgage, also own top class training ground and facilities and after 3 years of austerity where the manager has had to slash the wage bill and sell off the best players without adequate replacements coming in, the books are balanced and we have a steady hand behind the wheel. Although you refer to him as "NLN", any one with bit of common sense can see the restraints that he has had to work under.

Now compare this to your high flying team, a team that has managed to make the play-offs for the last 2 seasons under the poison Dwarf and still cannot reach the promised land, who have sold a paltry 11,000 season tickets.

Hope that your main backer Mr. Doughty doesn't pull the plug or your team really will be in the crapper, big time. How much has he lent the club so far, romoured around the 60 million mark, how true that figure is I don't know? He even had to put 3.4 million into the kitty last season to shore your club up!!!! You don't have the luxury of owning your own ground, the council do. Your thoughts of a new ground went down the crapper with Englands world cup bid. Mind you a large 50,000 seater stadium would be awful to play in when there its 3/4 empty.

So great you've ended up above us twice in the last 10 years, hooray. Have a look at the underlying state of each club, and see who is closer to the abyss!!

As to next season: now Clough has some money to spend, after clearing out the high earners, we may see the start of a decent team begin to appear, we will have to wait and see. As for Florist Up Derby down, I doubt it, I think we'll still both be in this league this time next year.

UTR.

Edited by mickmac

Oh dear! I m too old and laid back now to get into fierce arguments about Football! We all love our respective teams, be it Forest or Derby, but the main thing is we support our LOCAL team, even from Thailand, and havent jumped onto the Man U/ Chelsea etc bandwagon, which tragically, too many have. How on earth can you support Man U if you come from, say Newcastle or London? ( Just examples by the way, not an attack on any City). It grieves me to walk around somewhere like Birmingham and see so many kids wearing Man U shirts instead of Villa, Bham City, West Brom etc.

Good luck for next season, I can say that, just as long as we finish above you!!

Oh dear! I m too old and laid back now to get into fierce arguments about Football! We all love our respective teams, be it Forest or Derby, but the main thing is we support our LOCAL team, even from Thailand, and havent jumped onto the Man U/ Chelsea etc bandwagon, which tragically, too many have. How on earth can you support Man U if you come from, say Newcastle or London? ( Just examples by the way, not an attack on any City). It grieves me to walk around somewhere like Birmingham and see so many kids wearing Man U shirts instead of Villa, Bham City, West Brom etc.

Good luck for next season, I can say that, just as long as we finish above you!!

My sentiments exactly PP, I have always had more respect for fans that support their home teams, rather than jump on the "glory hunter" band wagon.

Don't get me wrong I'd rib you if I saw you in a bar with a Forest shirt on, but then again I'd possibly buy you a beer as well.

As with yourself, I hope you have more ups than downs this season.

Kind regards

Mickmac

I watched Rotherham United home and away for 10 years and selected away matches before this, before coming out here in 2003 and Although I went to watch them in Nottingham many times(mainly county but also forest) I cant ever remember Rotherham winning in Nottingham, it was just one of those places. It was always a great day out getting off the train about 10am and straight in to the pub on the opposite corner near the train station. Then up to the county tavern near the lace market. Then it was down the side street across the round about for Hooters...lol, leaving just in time to get to the game. I only went to watch them at Derby a couple of times as we got to the Championship in the last coupe of years I was in the UK, nice ground but miles from the pubs. The Derbyshire police only used to let us drink on the road near the train station, we were never allowed into town. Spoilsports. Great times and one of the things I miss about the UK. Saturday Away games!!

ho man, divnt mention newcastle and man ure in the same breath, dont suppose any of you were at sjp for the 1974 fa cup quarter final, remember that, you were 3-1 up, 20 mins to go, then it happened, but you came back out, we eventually won 4-3, but then you complained to the fa, result got scrapped we had to play you at everton twice, we disgraced ourselves not only fan wise, but later at wembley where i dont think theres ever being such a one sided final, such a long time ago.

I watched Rotherham United home and away for 10 years and selected away matches before this, before coming out here in 2003 and Although I went to watch them in Nottingham many times(mainly county but also forest) I cant ever remember Rotherham winning in Nottingham, it was just one of those places. It was always a great day out getting off the train about 10am and straight in to the pub on the opposite corner near the train station. Then up to the county tavern near the lace market. Then it was down the side street across the round about for Hooters...lol, leaving just in time to get to the game. I only went to watch them at Derby a couple of times as we got to the Championship in the last coupe of years I was in the UK, nice ground but miles from the pubs. The Derbyshire police only used to let us drink on the road near the train station, we were never allowed into town. Spoilsports. Great times and one of the things I miss about the UK. Saturday Away games!!

aye used to love the away trips, leeds new years day, great times, how we managed to get there is still an unknown, how we ever got home well, god knows.

ho man, divnt mention newcastle and man ure in the same breath, dont suppose any of you were at sjp for the 1974 fa cup quarter final, remember that, you were 3-1 up, 20 mins to go, then it happened, but you came back out, we eventually won 4-3, but then you complained to the fa, result got scrapped we had to play you at everton twice, we disgraced ourselves not only fan wise, but later at wembley where i dont think theres ever being such a one sided final, such a long time ago.

Actually, I was at that game, I lived in Newcastle 1971 to 1973, wife was at Newcastle Uni, so revisited old friends and went to the cup match in 74. We were all over you until the pitch invasion, you wouldnt have got back in the game without the assistance (!!!) of the fans. Forest should never have gone back on the pitch that day, and bearing in mind that two Forest players were physically assaulted by Newcastle supporters the FA (arguably!) would have had to throw Newcastle out. I think the final was so one sided because in their hearts, I think the Newcastle team knew that they shouldnt have been there!! Anyway, long ago and far away!! Life moves on!!

Edited by PostmanPat

Actually, I was at that game, I lived in Newcastle 1971 to 1973, wife was at Newcastle Uni, so revisited old friends and went to the cup match in 74. We were all over you until the pitch invasion, you wouldnt have got back in the game without the assistance (!!!) of the fans. Forest should never have gone back on the pitch that day, and bearing in mind that two Forest players were physically assaulted by Newcastle supporters the FA (arguably!) would have had to throw Newcastle out. I think the final was so one sided because in their hearts, I think the Newcastle team knew that they shouldnt have been there!! Anyway, long ago and far away!! Life moves on!!

i agree , you should have stayed in the dressing room, you were asked if you wanted to go back out, we would have been kicked out, which would have saved our embarrasment at wembley, we've won nowt since 1969, the old fairs cup, but they still trundle up in their numbers, ashley aint the man to get us anywhere, ecxept maybe from a stable financial situation, we shall wait and see what the new french contingent have to offer next season, ok off to the uk in 2 hrs, so good luck.

I went to the final. Had it been a boxing match the referee would have stopped it before half time. Newcastle just didn't turn up !

Keegan scored twice, Shankley's last game as manager.

I had little no sympathy for Newcastle because of the 6th round incident.