Brushcutter Extension

Is it possible to buy a longer pole for my brush cutter? or an extension/attachment even. Does it even exist?

The reason i am asking is it would make my life a lot easier when cutting the slopes around my fish ponds. My old leg muscles are taking a pounding trying to negotiate along these slopes whilst cutting. Already having turned the grasp handles to 45 degrees helps a lot, but a 2-3 ft longer pole would make it a lot easier.

Regards,

Chang35baht.

I am with you mate ....but not seen anything like it.always looking though..we are on a tiered farm and it is downright dangerous when the slopes are wet...I have started just digging a step or foothold in frequented locations ..fell on my arse so many times...arse is okay but scared of cutting my bloody leg off..lol

Lots of little repair shops around wonder if they could hash something together for you...bit ungainly and awkward for regular work though...good luck

I used to have a similar problem as they are designed for This who are shorter than us gawky farangs.

I used to get backache and stop after a couple of hours with a break in the middle.

I can see 3 alternatives other than an extension.

1. Import one from a western country

2. Leave it to grow into a jungle and learn to eat snake

3. Which is the option I chose. Hire a local for 200 baht a day (give him lunch as well) plenty of cold water and he will work faster, perhaps not so efficiently, do more in a day than you and then you can sit on ThaiVisa and have a cold beer by your side.

No sweat, literally.

B)

I used to have a similar problem as they are designed for This who are shorter than us gawky farangs.

I used to get backache and stop after a couple of hours with a break in the middle.

I can see 3 alternatives other than an extension.

1. Import one from a western country

2. Leave it to grow into a jungle and learn to eat snake

3. Which is the option I chose. Hire a local for 200 baht a day (give him lunch as well) plenty of cold water and he will work faster, perhaps not so efficiently, do more in a day than you and then you can sit on ThaiVisa and have a cold beer by your side.

No sweat, literally.

you need to adjust your harness so the blade is parallel to the ground..trouble is your arms are then too short.lol.

... agree a couple of hundred baht to a willing Thai is better than backache....

B)

Whilst on holiday in my native Scotland during April, I purchased and brought back an electric Flymo hover mower (with grass collector) which is great for this type of work. Only cost me £60 (just under 3,000 baht) and no duty (each traveller is allowed by Thai Customs to enter the Kingdom duty-free with goods valued at no more than 10,000 baht).

I’m not using it on steep banks this time, but I often used a petrol Flymo hover mower as a high-school student 35 years ago. A long string/rope would be tied to it so that I could stay at the top of the bank without risking minced legs through slipping on the slope (a very common accident, I was told). The Flymo would then simply ascend/descend whilst cutting; very safe.

I contacted Flymo’s parent companies (extremely difficult to find a relevant contact for this product!) here in Thailand but discovered it does not appear to be sold here…though I believe they can service it. Pity as I’m sure they would find a good market here.

Rgds

Khonwan

I also have a Thai style mower. has 3 wheels and cuts about 18" at a time,Uses a Honda 4 stroke petrol engine. I think about 5 H.P.. Now , over 10 years old, works very well. Needs new cutters every few years. As well as my weed wacker. I have both.

• 2 weeks later...

aha!! thought of that myself..not available here hugh?..as you say a big pity..nothing hanging on my old shoulders! could hang fuel and a beer on the handle too!...I wondered if the hover effect would have a problem on a steep slope though..apparently not?

ill google some more maybe the Chinese make 'em..then could import and supplement the farm income a bit ..lol

Okay a million of 'em from China will TRY and get some sense ot of a supplier...although past experience does not bode well..lol

here is another option I will investigate:

www.seagointernational.com/Allen Hover Mower Brochure.pdf

Edited by David006

The guy who has been doing my brush cutting for a while is not going to do it any more he told my wife.

It seems that the farang (me) has been complaining about the work, true so far in 6 weeks he has chopped 2 water pipes and while most of it is OK he doesn't do the edges very well.

Last Saturday he arrived at 08.10, went into our kitchen for some food and then started work. At 09.00 he stopped for a break but I chased him out to work again.

I pay him for an 8 hour day and most days I am lucky to get 6 out of him.

Neither he nor my wife seem to realise that if I am paying him I want him to do what I want him to do, not what he wants to do.

Ah well, back to doing it myself. It's cheaper, slower but done properly and if it ain't there is only me to bitch to.

Edited by billd766