65 Million Passengers Expected To Be Using Thailand's Airports By November

webfact

65 million passengers expected to be using Thailand's airports by November

image_20110630081009DE18903B-01B8-9D9D-8F91BBDC94A2C8A2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Some 65 million passengers, a 13-per cent rise, are expected to use Thailand' airports in the 2011 fiscal year, from October 2010 to through November this year, according to the Airports Authority of Thailand (AoT).

AoT's senior executive vice president and acting president Nirandra Theeranartsin said that 418,000 flights, or an 8-per cent increase, are forecast accordingly. The two figures will be AoT's highest statistics as a result.

Mr Nirandra said the statistics of passengers using AoT's six airports who are mainly from China, South Korea and Russia, during the past eight months reached 44.77 million with 295,000 flights operating overall.

AoT's operation during the past six months of this fiscal year reached a net profit of Bt2.3 billion.

Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi Airport can currently support about 45 million passengers. AoT's committee consequently agreed to increase its capacity to welcome more travelers, as suggested by International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

Domestic terminals are to be built there to support another 20 million passengers with an initial construction budget of Bt9.1 billion and a 44-month construction period.

Meanwhile, Don Mueang Airport's domestic flight services and operations at its domestic terminal will be moved to its international terminal 1, able to support 16 million passengers per year, in order that the domestic terminal can in the future be used as an aviation maintenance centre.

Around 2.5 million travellers currently use Don Muang Airport, a 43.8-per cent rise year-on-year. The figure is expected to increase to 3.9 million by November.

The Airports Authority of Thailand from November 1, 2011 through October 31, 2013 will reduce landing and take-off fees for airlines operating regular flights. It will also offer such fee reduction and cut down aircraft fees for carriers participating in Don Mueang Airport's Marketing Incentive Program, expected to help increase the number of passengers, flights and new routes. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-06-30

Lets wait after the election ...... not to mention many use Bangkok airport as hub to go in other places ..... I would be curious to know how many people use Bangkok as transit only ..... The constant huge queue at the immigration doesnt help either .... this is ridiculous to see how badly organize it it sometime .

If you believe the incredible tourism figures that the TAT and government come up with, there wouldnt be a single hotel or guest room availabe in LOS all year round. 65 million divided by 365 days =178,000 people a day ! divided by an average plane load of say....150 passengers = 1,187 plane loads every day!!!! What !

Many hotels in LOS are heavily discounting because there a fewer coming here.

If you believe the incredible tourism figures that the TAT and government come up with, there wouldnt be a single hotel or guest room availabe in LOS all year round. 65 million divided by 365 days =178,000 people a day ! divided by an average plane load of say....150 passengers = 1,187 plane loads every day!!!! What !

These numbers are not from TAT and reflect all travelers through the airport including domestic and transfers.

It would be nice if the article contained a breakdown of the airports and the projected passenger traffic. And like another poster said, a breakout of transit vs stayers would be nice too.

TheWalkingMan

I believe this graph shows actual International Visitors.

tourismEnd2010.gif

For more info & source; See: http://www.thaiwebsi...com/tourism.asp

Edit: My guess is these numbers also include people entering over land.

Edited by Nisa

What I don't understand is what is going to be the impact of having 65 million people going through a place initially designed to accommodate 45 million people ... not to mention I part of the initial capacity had to do with how many planes can land and take off from the two runways.

No one should believe statements about someone's "expectations". Newspapers bloggers, financial advisers, etc. and other sources of information love to talk about what someone expects to happen in the future, because there is no way to verify the accuracy of that information.

I expect to win the lottery next year.

If 65 million passengers did actually come to Thailand every year and the airport operated 24 hours X 365 days there would be a fully laden jet liner landing every minute of the year!! What about take offs!!! I love this country.In 12 years nobody has ever said anything here with a straight face.

What I don't understand is what is going to be the impact of having 65 million people going through a place initially designed to accommodate 45 million people ... not to mention I part of the initial capacity had to do with how many planes can land and take off from the two runways.

"Thailand's Airports" ... not just Suvarnabhumi.

PEOPLES ... READ THE ARTICLE.

statistics of passengers using AoT's six airports

Not just tourists. Not just Suvarnabhumi. Not people entering over land.

edit: Not just people entering/leaving the country.

Edited by whybother

If 65 million passengers did actually come to Thailand every year and the airport operated 24 hours X 365 days there would be a fully laden jet liner landing every minute of the year!! What about take offs!!! I love this country.In 12 years nobody has ever said anything here with a straight face.

This 65 million number isn't one airport. It is for all six AoT airports. It is for ALL flights, not just incoming flights from foreign countries, but Thai and foreigners flying from city to city too

They run 6 airports, with 45 million passengers for the past 8 months, which works out to about 65 million for a year

Suvarnabhumi

Don Mueang

Phuket

Hat Yai

Chiang Mai

Chiang Rai

Cool down man this is TOT talking and they only spout bull...........t

"Thailand's Airports" ... not just Suvarnabhumi.

Thanks - I completely missed that

Cool down man this is TOT talking and they only spout bull...........t

Expected was the numbers mentioned, likened to expected the poor will be rich in the near future==expected corruption to end soon=expect the Baht to be devalued, TAT comes up with the word EXPECTED, Like all farangs are expected to leave Thailand broke.:sorry::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

as with all stats, can be misleading; as I made six return flights from/to Suvarnabhumi, I would be counted as 12 passengers using the airport.

Never spent a single night in Bangkok - so didn't contribute to their spending apart from 200 baht for the bus fare away from the airport.

as with all stats, can be misleading; as I made six return flights from/to Suvarnabhumi, I would be counted as 12 passengers using the airport.

What is wrong with you be counted 12 times in terms of the stats????? This is exactly what they are counting.

You would be a passenger 12 times passing through the airport.

Edited by Nisa

What is wrong with you be counted 12 times in terms of the stats????? This is exactly what they are counting.

Exactly. A Thai civil servant flying a return trip DM to CM would count four times. It's just a statistic of airport usage - the article does not make the claims about tourist numbers that the typical TV respondents are rushing to nay-say.

TV responses are often more predictable and laughable than the claims of petty Thai bureaucrats.

The article was not talking about tourists just the number of people that they project will use the airports.

Seems like a reasonable figure to me. I am not a tourist I live here and have recently gone to Siem Reap to meet my uncle. That involved using the Chiang Mai airport twice and the Bangkok one twice. That is four times and I took my wife with me so it is now up to 8 times used and nothing to do with a tourist coming into Thailand.Revise your figures.

Exactly. A Thai civil servant flying a return trip DM to CM would count four times. It's just a statistic of airport usage - the article does not make the claims about tourist numbers that the typical TV respondents are rushing to nay-say.

TV responses are often more predictable and laughable than the claims of petty Thai bureaucrats.

And often just as wrong as the ones they are replying to. I think half the people just respond to responses and don't even bother to read the article.

Well what can one expect this is Thailand. LOL

More toilets please!

more Imm-officials---less touts--less AOT limo's--more taxis at realistic prices--1 meeting point--1 level for departures--1 level for arrivals--

If they are expecting all these USERS then make it as simple as possible for arrivals to understand EXACTLY where they go on leaving customs, as there are several exits before the meeting point. so a person meeting can easily lose the arriving person. Similar to the Jomptien bus, instead of it being at arrivals -you have to go down a level to get a ticket and the bus. It is organised Chaos at times.----

No one should believe statements about someone's "expectations". Newspapers bloggers, financial advisers, etc. and other sources of information love to talk about what someone expects to happen in the future, because there is no way to verify the accuracy of that information.

I expect to win the lottery next year.

I expect you to share it with me 50/50. OK na?

We came through Swampy last Sunday 9.00pm. Didn't seem very busy,all was quiet. Immigration officials waiting for punters?

jb1

All this tourism B/Sh#t, because of the stats of figures out it was said 6% of dosh earned here was from tourism, so it's so small a figure tourism is really not important.

I would say then if we tourists are a necessary evil, why not close Samui-Phuket-Pattaya C/Mai-national parks airlines, most transport, events, all the girl/boy bars, Thai seem to want Asians here, but it would be nice as all the rip offs would have to stop. Shame really tourism is not important to them here. They wouldn't miss the 65 million expected.:whistling::whistling:

More toilets please!

more Imm-officials---less touts--less AOT limo's--more taxis at realistic prices--1 meeting point--1 level for departures--1 level for arrivals--

If they are expecting all these USERS then make it as simple as possible for arrivals to understand EXACTLY where they go on leaving customs, as there are several exits before the meeting point. so a person meeting can easily lose the arriving person. Similar to the Jomptien bus, instead of it being at arrivals -you have to go down a level to get a ticket and the bus. It is organised Chaos at times.----

Yes of course, but the important things like toilet paper should be included as well.