Tourist Visa Problems

Hi Guys,

Just a question, maybe there are some members out there with a good and creative solution for my problem.

I'm living near Udon Thani now, for about 8 months with a tourist visa. So every 120 days I had to go to the Thai Embassy in Vientiane for a new double entry 2 month visa.

Last monday I went again. They started to do difficult with me because I had too many stamps in my passport. It ends up I got a single entry visa (for 2 months) and the announcement that I wouldn't get any more visa in the near future, I have to leave the country for 4 months first.

This is against my plans, I like to stay some more years.

My situation is not regular. I'm Dutch and married for the Dutch law with a Thai man for almost 5 years. To make it all clear for you: We have a 'same sex relationship', I'm not a woman.

The Thai gouvernement don't recognize this, so for the Thai law I'm single.

I was thinking of the possibility to start a Thai course and try apply for a student visa. But near Udon is no school or whatever where I can go.

Staying illegal in Thailand is no option. I like to travel once and a while..

Retirement visa is no option because I'm 48, so too young.

I'm self employed, I'm a designer and work for some Dutch clients by using email. So money is no problem.

So what you think guys, what can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Phnom Penh will issue you a double entry tourist visa.

Do you know if they have any limits on the number of back to back double entry tourist visas they issue in Phnom Penh each year ?

I suspect there are a large number of people in Thailand now who would return to the UK only once per year just to get a new visa, these trips would no longer be required.

Why don't you just apply for a Non Immigrant 'O' Visa ?

It can be issued by any Thai Consulate outside Thailand. You need to be out of Thailand at the time too, Maybe on a trip to Holland.

You get 12 months from date of issue to use it. Everytime you enter the Kingdom you get a 90 day stamp. Then cross any border and get another 90 day stamp. It costs just over 100 Euros it's £100 in England.

You can get upto 15 months from this Visa if you make one of your border runs just before it expires.

It can be issued by any Thai Consulate outside Thailand. You need to be out of Thailand at the time too, Maybe on a trip to Holland.

You get 12 months from date of issue to use it. Everytime you enter the Kingdom you get a 90 day stamp. Then cross any border and get another 90 day stamp. It costs just over 100 Euros it's £100 in England.

You can get upto 15 months from this Visa if you make one of your border runs just before it expires.

Because you have to have a valid reason for a non-O visa. Visiting friends is no longer a valid reason.

Because you have to have a valid reason for a non-O visa. Visiting friends is no longer a valid reason.

I just got my new 'O' Visa from the Hull consulate. I had to provide proof of income over £900 a month. But I think this only applies if you are over 50.

You probably thought about this already but you could move to a city with ED visa schools for a few years until you're 50. At 50, you'd be good to go for the retirement visa option assuming you can financially qualify.

Another thought, isn't there at least one school that now offers ONLINE ED qualifying programs for those in your situation (not near another school)? I don't know which, but worth looking into.

BTW, not to be a Dougie Downer, but it sounds like you are working illegally in Thailand, but you probably know that already.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank for your reply.

No, I'm not working illegal in Thailand.

I'm self employed and have my 'business' in the Netherlands. I just do my work here en send it by email to my clients in Europe.

After that I bill them from my business in Netherlands. So all is legal, as well in NL as in TH.

You probably thought about this already but you could move to a city with ED visa schools for a few years until you're 50. At 50, you'd be good to go for the retirement visa option assuming you can financially qualify.

Another thought, isn't there at least one school that now offers ONLINE ED qualifying programs for those in your situation (not near another school)? I don't know which, but worth looking into.

BTW, not to be a Dougie Downer, but it sounds like you are working illegally in Thailand, but you probably know that already.

Sorry but it is not legal by Thai law. You must have a work permit if you work in Thailand regardless of where it might be or where you get paid (or even if you get paid). Not likely to be an issue in itself but you need to be aware of it.

No, I'm not working illegal in Thailand.

I'm self employed and have my 'business' in the Netherlands. I just do my work here en send it by email to my clients in Europe.

After that I bill them from my business in Netherlands. So all is legal, as well in NL as in TH.

Actually what you are doing is illegal in Thailand, you are working under the current definitions and should have a WP

The OP should be careful to keep his work as discreet as possible; yes, I am saying stay in the closet about your work. It will likely be OK, but sometimes people you know can turn into snitches if a conflict develops. I can't see the problem for now, but it may possibly be a big issue for you later if you stay here when you are 50 and go for a retirement visa. Worry about that then, but there appears to be a trend for immigration trying to get to the facts about retirees income, and you will not be able to tell them about your, yes, ILLEGAL, work here. Of course the 800K in the bank will probably still be OK. To complicate this further, even though what you are doing is indeed illegal, doesn't mean actual enforcing that on people like you who have no economic contact with Thailand in your work, is actually a priority. It seems clear it isn't.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your ideas, comments and possible solutions. But i think I found the best way to solve this problem for me.

Somebody tipped me 'Thaivisaexpert.com'.

I asked for information with them and this is what I got back:

Dear BramUdon,

>"We have many foreign clients that don't fit in any Thai category visa, like not 50yrs old, not working and not even married to a Thai. This is where we are on only option to get long term visas. We can provide all the supporting documents and not only that we will apply on your behalf to make sure the process is done smoothly and without any hassle. Your first application will be for 3 months non-immigrant visa and 12 months extension. Your stay will be valid for 15 months and it will cost you 32000 baht. You will not have to leave the kingdom as it will be taken care in Bangkok at the Chaeng wattana immigration. No more border runs or no more visa runs, all you have to do is 90 days reporting at your local immigration which is absolutely free of cost".<

So I'll go with these people and forget all my worries.

Thank again and kind regards,

BramUdon.

This is illegal off-course but many people are doing it.

The Vis Extension is ( short of ) real as it is coming from a real immigration office. ( for a certain fee ) ;)

But you will have possible problems when you would like to leave the country.

To do this you need a re-entry permit and they are now only issued at the immigration office which provided the visa extension.

For example Phuket immigration will not issue a re-entry stamp unless the extension is also done at the Phuket immigration office.

This is because they know that there are many illegal visa extensions issued and they don't want to get problems with issuing a re-entry permit on a illegal issued extension.

Maybe other immigration offices or Suvarnabhumi Airport will issue you a re-entry permit but don’t count on it.

You can do online Thai lessons now with Skype with different language schools such as Walen so your physical location is irrelevant. You can still get your ED visa this way.

So Walen does this definitely? In my view, this is a MASSIVELY better idea than going to the dark side ...

BTW, sometimes these visa shortcut artist operations are arrested. Then what happens to the people who used them? Guess. Staffs and management at cooperating immigration offices sometimes change, you know.

Edited by Jingthing

Walen definitely teaches online. Our particular method is just perfect for teaching online. I am not sure how many other schools out there copy Walen but with us you will get also things that you will not get with any other schools so our offer cannot be matched.

Walen School - online leader in teaching Thai

now i believe that walen school does the thai language course online through skype i believe, so you dont need

to have a school close by just internet and i think you will still get the ed visa just contact them on this or their site

rick