Leon Panetta sworn in as new U.S. Defense Secretary

News_Editor

Leon Panetta sworn in as new U.S. Defense Secretary

2011-07-01 23:16:09 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- Leon Panetta, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), on Friday was sworn in as the new United States Defense Secretary, replacing Robert Gates who retired on Thursday.

"I am mindful of the great responsibility the President has entrusted to me, and I will lead the Department of Defense in its mission to protect our citizens and our nation's interests around the world," said Panetta.

The ex-CIA director took the oath of office and became the 23rd Secretary of Defense in U.S. history. Last August, Gates announced his intentions to step down from his position on June 30.

"Bob Gates, my outstanding predecessor and good friend, has been a tireless advocate for our troops and their families, and I pledge to be the same," added the new Defense Secretary.

On Thursday, the U.S. Senate confirmed General David Petraeus as the new head of the CIA. Petraeus has been in charge of the U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan since June 2010.

Panetta led the CIA for 28 months (over two years) and was in charge of one of the most aggressive counterterrorism operations in U.S. history aimed at disrupt, dismantle, and defeat al-Qa'ida and its allies.

"As Secretary of Defense, I will do whatever is necessary to protect America and to meet the needs of the men and women who serve in harm’s way, and the families who support them," added Panetta.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-01