Tired Of The English Language Police

rickthailand

My written grammar sucks, but verbally I'm fine. This is the reason i worry about teaching in thailand.

How can your written grammar suck and your spoken grammar be fine? That doesn't make sense. It's much easier to write well than to speak well if you know the rules of grammar.

But don't worry!! Most Thai schools just want a white person in the classroom that they can take photos of and gossip about. :jap:

Edited by Geekfreaklover

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i mean in terms of things like apostrophe's and colons. So my writing sucks is what i mean.

My written grammar sucks, but verbally I'm fine. This is the reason i worry about teaching in thailand.

How can your written grammar suck and your spoken grammar be fine? That doesn't make sense. It's much easier to write well than to speak well if you know the rules of grammar.

But don't worry!! Most Thai schools just want a white person in the classroom that they can take photos of and gossip about. :jap:

Edited by Warhammer820

well i mean in terms of things like apostrophe's and colons. So my writing sucks is what i mean.

Don't worry about it. As long as you can spell and punctuate to an agreeable standard. Where are you teaching? What age?

You must understand that for many posters here, this Forum is the most important thing in their lives.

I know, it sounds incredibly stupid, but it's true. smile.gif

For you maybe it is true. :jap:

With 2,148 posts maybe it's a pretty large part of your life.

Oh no, don't tell me, you are only on ThaiVisa when you're at work and getting paid for it, the rest of the time you're living it up big style....biggrin.gif

That's why you're so happy in Thailand. unsure.gif

Edited by GM1955

It would be interesting to know just how many people are fluent in English, either first or second language speakers...

According to

http://en.wikipedia....king_population

there are 948,676,514 English speakers in the world or 17.65% of the world population.

And the world total number who speak English as their first language is 335,164,058 with the following breakdown:

Country______Number________% of World Total

U.S.___________215,423,557_____64.3______________

U.K.___________58,100,000______17.3______________

Canada_________17,694,830_______5.3______________

Australia______15,013,965_______4.5______________

Other__________28,931,706_______8.6______________

I am not teaching in Thailand yet, i still have one year left until graduation. I have experience teaching kids here as part of my major in education. I also coach middle school football, i am in charge of the lineman.

Don't worry about it. As long as you can spell and punctuate to an agreeable standard. Where are you teaching? What age?

Warhammer............

Don't worry, I have lived here for 20 years and I have known many so called Teachers.

To call many of them teachers is really crazy, most were total pissheads and wasters who ran out of money and taught English as a last resort, the very last resort before having to leave Thailand.

Most left Thailand when they borrowed enough money for a ticket out. smile.gif

Edited by GM1955

You will have so much fun teaching here. In thai schools grammar is important, so brush up by reading some books on grammar before you start teaching. In the west we are not taught grammar in much detail, being as we are, native speakers. If you can pick up and read a couple of books on the English language that will be a bonus.

Best of luck!

Maybe English is the only language they know and they think it's the no 1 language on the planet. :rolleyes:

It is the most important language on the planet.

For the moment, but one could suggest in in years to come Chinese could be the most important language on the planet....:rolleyes:

I agree,It probably will be.

I have already started doing so. It was embarrassing going to the check-out counter with, "English Grammar For Dummies" lol

You will have so much fun teaching here. In thai schools grammar is important, so brush up by reading some books on grammar before you start teaching. In the west we are not taught grammar in much detail, being as we are, native speakers. If you can pick up and read a couple of books on the English language that will be a bonus.

Best of luck!

You must understand that for many posters here, this Forum is the most important thing in their lives.

I know, it sounds incredibly stupid, but it's true. smile.gif

For you maybe it is true. :jap:

With 2,148 posts maybe it's a pretty large part of your life.

Oh no, don't tell me, you are only on ThaiVisa when you're at work and getting paid for it, the rest of the time you're living it up big style....biggrin.gif

That's why you're so happy in Thailand. unsure.gif

On average 2 posts a day over four years according to the stats. Hardly a large part of my life. But if you want it to be. Fine. It is.

I don't use the internet when I work. In fact I work better without it. Thanks for asking.

And yes I am happy in Thailand and it has nothing to do with web forums.

On average 2 posts a day over four years according to the stats. Hardly a large part of my life. But if you want it to be. Fine. It is.

I don't use the internet when I work. In fact I work better without it. Thanks for asking.

I'm absolutely thrilled., and now I won't lose any sleep. wink.gif

Edited by GM1955

I have already started doing so. It was embarrassing going to the check-out counter with, "English Grammar For Dummies" lol

Best of luck!

Haha! - I know exactly what you mean. I only really understood grammar whilst teaching it to six and seven year olds. And that was after I had my fourth book published! - To be honest, you never stop learning about the English language. It's great to go back and start learning from the begining again!

I will say i have learned more than i did a few months ago, i was just concerned about what to do when the dreaded, "why?" question comes. Hopefully i will be given a book to teach with as well.

Best of luck!

Haha! - I know exactly what you mean. I only really understood grammar whilst teaching it to six and seven year olds. And that was after I had my fourth book published! - To be honest, you never stop learning about the English language. It's great to go back and start learning from the begining again!

Wish you all the best Warhammer!

Will have to leave the thread because of this prick above.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Proper language is a bit like personal hygiene. Some think it's important, some don't.

You obviously don't, but let me simply tell you that your post would greatly benefit from proper punctuation. And even in Dutch you start a sentence with an upper case letter. It makes it so much easier to read.

Some people don't know the difference between there, their and they're, which makes is hard to understand their text (or is it "there text"?)

Language allows us to express your thought and feelings. Some thoughts and feelings are very simple, so a simple language will do. Others are more complicated, have more nuances, hence a more sophisticated language which then needs proper spelling and punctuation.

There is this funny story about the German emperor, who was asked to pardon a prisoner with a death sentence. He wrote a short notice to his secretary: " Pardon no execution". The lady thought that he was in a good mood and put the coma: "Pardon, no execution", but she could just as well have put it here: "Pardon no, execution". This shows how important punctuation can be.

English is not my mother tongue either, but out of respect for the language and those who read my profound shallowness, I try to follow the rules of spelling and punctuation.

Since when did German emperors make short notices to there they're their secretary's in English? German is such an advanced language, that misunderstandings like in your example could not occur.

Proper language is a bit like personal hygiene. Some think it's important, some don't.

You obviously don't, but let me simply tell you that your post would greatly benefit from proper punctuation. And even in Dutch you start a sentence with an upper case letter. It makes it so much easier to read.

Some people don't know the difference between there, their and they're, which makes is hard to understand their text (or is it "there text"?)

Language allows us to express your thought and feelings. Some thoughts and feelings are very simple, so a simple language will do. Others are more complicated, have more nuances, hence a more sophisticated language which then needs proper spelling and punctuation.

There is this funny story about the German emperor, who was asked to pardon a prisoner with a death sentence. He wrote a short notice to his secretary: " Pardon no execution". The lady thought that he was in a good mood and put the coma: "Pardon, no execution", but she could just as well have put it here: "Pardon no, execution". This shows how important punctuation can be.

English is not my mother tongue either, but out of respect for the language and those who read my profound shallowness, I try to follow the rules of spelling and punctuation.

Since when did German emperors make short notices to there they're their secretary's in English? German is such an advanced language, that misunderstandings like in your example could not occur.

The point is the story is being told thus written in English. I could write a story about a event in Thailand. Does that mean that I have to write it in Thai? Or that my trasnliteration must be sympathatic to Thai grammar?

Of couse not. The poster wrote the story in English to demonstrate a point. Get it?

Edited by Geekfreaklover

[For the moment, but one could suggest in in years to come Chinese could be the most important language on the planet....

May be we all should start communicating in "Chinese" , so we all will have the same level of playing field…… in criticizing each other…yah??:D

To the OP,

Don't worry I'm not a native English speaker either. And after reading many posts from the so called/self declared "natives" here on TV, it leaves me wondering ….. Who should be criticizing who? …or Do I want many them to actually teach my kids at school?

However there is much useful information on this site to be had, but you just have to side step many landmines in getting to them. And since I'm here to READ mostly the useful things, so I have less to complain or care less about the English gestapo group. Or should I say "gastepo"? :)

The point is the story is being told thus written in English. I could write a story about a event in Thailand. Does that mean that I have to write it in Thai? Or that my trasnliteration must be sympathatic to Thai grammar?

Of couse not. The poster wrote the story in English to demonstrate a point. Get it?

The poster could change the story to an English Queen/King ( in lack of Emperors... )

Wish you all the best Warhammer!

Will have to leave the thread because of this prick above.

Oh the beauty of anonimity,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jap.gif

What is a little surprising is the current use of 'text speak', and the changes it has made on the norms of general practice, or is it practise?

Anyway, more and more people are using their thumbs to ring a doorbell. :(

To the OP:

most mistakes made by non-native English speakers aren't as irritating as mistakes made by some natives!

I am not a native English speaker and I reckon my sentences often have awkward structure.

But even to me, some mistakes are just... arrrgh!

For example, the apostrophed plural is one that makes me cringe: "error's" instead of "errors".

Other "mistakes" I can think of right now go like:

"Were" instead of "we are"

"We was" instead of "we were"

"their" instead of "they were/are"

"there" instead of "their"

etc.

The worst is when the writers claim it was a typo! LOL.

I don't know why I care about that.

English isn't my first nor even my second language, and I am sure I tortured the English language myself somewhere in this very post without noticing.

If the corrections of mistakes were done tactfully, I would certainly be thankful for the opportunity to profit from the natives' knowledge and improve my language skills.

You want Engrit lessons? Pay for them like everyone else. I don't think this is the place for petty corrections!

I think the correct transliteration is "Angrit"

:P

And why don't you sleep already?

Edited by manarak

You want Engrit lessons? Pay for them like everyone else. I don't think this is the place for petty corrections!

Stop with the corrections or I'm coming over to SPONK you.

Stop with the corrections or I'm coming over to SPONK you.

JT, is Sponking something I can do alone ? smile.gif