large.jpg:D

And the Best for Last:-

Substitute the K for a G :D

Everything is going to pot in Kan these days. :o

Any more from anyone else? :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

I'd like to see some of the members of TV try to change from English to Thai.

We should be grateful there are any at all. I have met some expats believe it or not that didn't know the proper Thai name for Bangkok!

Edited by Neeranam

There is an official table of translitteration between Thai and English.

The trouble it was written by a Thai, who clearly did not understand the

way English works.

There are some letters in Thai, that you simply cannot be differentiate in

English. Sorry I don't have a Thai keyboard.

Thor Tong

Thor Tahan

My son's name is pronounced Teerachai, but the spelling in his passport is

Theerachai, which is not the same.

Secondly there is no consistency, as your photos demonstrate.

Someone looking for Pattaya and faced with Phatthaya (fatthaya)

sorry my teeth just fell out saying that, will be confused.

As are tourists who visit that island in the south, Phuket.

Remember PH is prononced as an F.

<deleted> et??

We should be grateful there are any at all. I have met some expats believe it or not that  didn't know the proper Thai name for Bangkok!

True Neeranam but the average tourist, which the Thai govt tries very hard to court, has difficulty understanding that 3 different spellings can mean the same place.

We should be grateful there are any at all. I have met some expats believe it or not that  didn't know the proper Thai name for Bangkok!

And you do? :o

The proper Thai name follows

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

And in Thai

กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์

Taken from www.into-asia.com

:D  :D

Below are three examples of Kanchanaburi :-

And the Best for Last:-

Substitute the K for a G  :D

large.jpg  :D

Everything is going to pot in Kan these days. :o

Any more from anyone else? :D

Yours truly,  :D

Kan Win  :D

Karnchanaburi is not alone. What about DON MUEANG? If you are coming from the airport to the city, how many "DON MUEANG" can you see? If i can remember when thailand host the APEC inernational media noticed it and asked the driver if it is different place. Of course the answer is NO. Why not the government just hire one company to make this signboards and give them the right word to be use. It's so confusing.

Anyway, as what most Thai people say, we (foreigners) must be the one to adjust ourselves not them. So my dear fellow farangs let's dance with the music.

For more on this subject, see here.

I wonder what Ministry, if any, is supposed to be in charge of this matter. There must have been a law or at least a Ministerial Regulation published in the Royal Gazette at the time. One of many that are not being enforced, that have been forgotten completely.

http://www.royin.go.th/roman-translate01.html

this is the official transliteration site.

“The page cannot be found”

That regulation is not only gathering dust in a drawer, it has also been lost in cyberspace.

The site has just been revamped. The PDF version is still there, currently at http://www.royin.go.th/upload/246/FileUpload/416_2157.pdf. I found it by clicking on 'download' at the Royal Institute's Thai home page and then clicking on the title containing the word โรมัน. I couldn't find a link from the Royal Institute's English home page.

The site has just been revamped.  The PDF version is still there, currently at http://www.royin.go.th/upload/246/FileUpload/416_2157.pdf.  I found it by clicking on 'download' at the Royal Institute's Thai home page and then clicking on the title containing the word โรมัน

Thanks! I am bookmarking it for future reference, and I am passing it on to my wife for her knowledge.

Quite a bit if sleuthing you did there.

Now we know how it is official and woe betide anyone who doesn’t follow the rules!