Thaksin Allies In Thai Election Landslide: Exit Polls

webfact

It is no longer a landslide victory as they got 255 seats :)

255 is more than half the seats, out of 10 parties. That's a landslide, my friend. The Democrats are barely above 150. What do you call that? A mudslide?

255 seats out of 500 is not a landslide. It's a slight majority. Please learn about the English language. It's a great thing when used correctly.

Blaming on language skills, that is your last resort, isn't it? Get the facts: 262 seats! They even would not need to build a coalition.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

255 is more than half the seats, out of 10 parties. That's a landslide, my friend. The Democrats are barely above 150. What do you call that? A mudslide?

255 seats out of 500 is not a landslide. It's a slight majority. Please learn about the English language. It's a great thing when used correctly.

more than half the house here is a landslide compared to the UK were there are only 3 main contenders.

To me it is a play on words of what happened in Bangkok and the murder of 91 people.

But he didn't mention anything about the 20 or so army personnel that were killed by red shirt grenades, so it probably isn't.

jingthing should be banned for all his trolling in this topic.

all u chicken little acting like the military cant just seize power if thaskin gets out of line.

You're silly. Thaksin will likely take strong action to control the military completely. He tried in the past and failed, but he is BACK. BTW, worry about your OWN trolling, it's not your call about what you think others are doing.

Edited by Jingthing

255 seats out of 500, but less than 50% of the electorate, not remotely close to a landslide. They have just barely over half of the seats so they can do what they want, but less than half of the population's support. Fun times ahead!

Shows how out of touch the Thai Visa news section regulars are with the opinions of the majority of Thai people IMO.

Great day for Thailand - putting the military and elite firmly in their places once and for all.

It also shows how fundamentally different Asian and Western cultures and values are. This is something that a lot of farang posters overlook. You may be married to a Thai. You may have been living here for 20 years. But still, you grew up in a completely different society, with different morals, values and ethics. What's right for the goose may not be right for the gander. You may treat this country as your home. The Thais may treat you as one of them. But, you are and will always be a foreigner and trying to force your values and ethics down the Thai people's throat will merely make them resent you more.

I guess you exclude Japan, Singapore, HK, perhaps Malaysia from the term "asian cultures" Not too long ago Japan was an agricultural nation, but they evolved and progressed much do to a different style of morality and ethics. In Thailand it is the lack of "meaningful education" that leads to the perpetuation of their system. I don't hate taksin or abisit or the military but taksin is but another elite/wealthy person that has learned to manipulate the system very well to his advantage. I dont see any thai political figures akin to Mandela, or Ghandi, do you?

One point of contention; "Japan was an agricultural nation, but they evolved and progressed much do to a different style of morality and ethics.". My USA history books all say Japan evolved the way Gen. Douglas McArthur forced them to after they had unconditionally surrendered. Japan regained independence April 1952.

I am not sure if the result really SHOULD be respected as isn't it obvious fugitive Thakin, legally forbidden to be in politics, was the mastermind of this entire campaign? Shouldn't that issue ETHICALLY be tried in court considering the tragedy that might befall this nation if Thaksin is allowed to return and seize power?

Why shouldn't these results be respected. Do you have indications that the results are rigged, or could this be a factual representation of the will of the Thai people who went to cast their votes. The fugitive Thaksin S. Wasn't on the ballots so not sure what the relevance is.

Oh my god do you really believe Thaksin had no effect on this election. "Thaksin thinks Puea Thai does" was one of their election slogans. Are you really that naive to think that Thaksin had no effect on this election.

jingthing should be banned for all his trolling in this topic.

all u chicken little acting like the military cant just seize power if thaskin gets out of line.

You're silly. Thaksin will likely take strong action to control the military completely. He tried in the past and failed, but he is BACK. BTW, worry about your OWN trolling, it's not your call about what you think others are doing.

yes the military is totally subservient to his wants and desires. thanks for the clarification.

It is comical reading the crying from those who lost.

These are the people who have said they were always in the majority in being against the Reds. These are the people who did coup after coup. These are the people who shot down thais in the streets in Bangkok.

Do you know why it is that private voting does not equal what you anti reds have heard when talking to people? What person is going to tell you out loud they are RED when you are so violent? Who on earth would tell you that they hate your government when they can go to jail for saying such?

But now you know.

The votes speak loudly.

Will Thailand except the people's vote or will violence break out and rip the nation in two?

It is up to the hard core right wing who hates democracy. Do they really want to take a chance and perhaps lose everything in a fight?

I am not sure if the result really SHOULD be respected as isn't it obvious fugitive Thakin, legally forbidden to be in politics, was the mastermind of this entire campaign? Shouldn't that issue ETHICALLY be tried in court considering the tragedy that might befall this nation if Thaksin is allowed to return and seize power?

Why shouldn't these results be respected. Do you have indications that the results are rigged, or could this be a factual representation of the will of the Thai people who went to cast their votes. The fugitive Thaksin S. Wasn't on the ballots so not sure what the relevance is.

Oh my god do you really believe Thaksin had no effect on this election. "Thaksin thinks Puea Thai does" was one of their election slogans. Are you really that naive to think that Thaksin had no effect on this election.

One wonders why post if you don't know the basics behind the Yingluck campaign. Yes, clone, Thaksin himself called her that, though PUPPET is much more apt.

To me it is a play on words of what happened in Bangkok and the murder of 91 people.

But he didn't mention anything about the 20 or so army personnel that were killed by red shirt grenades, so it probably isn't.

Nor did he mention the people killed,wounded or being shot at by army snipers seeking refugee in the Wat. Especially the nurses.

Blaming on language skills, that is your last resort, isn't it? Get the facts: 262 seats! They even would not need to build a coalition.

262 seats out of 500 is still not a landslide. I reccomend that you learn about the English language.

Well we all can agree on one thing...PT won! but not by a landslide either. Got to wait for the official final tally next week. It was closer than they claim.

But the big questions are...How long will they last? Can some one with out any political experience really succeed? That's a big question for another forum!

TO BE CONTINUED!!

more than half the house here is a landslide compared to the UK were there are only 3 main contenders.

Did people in the UK call John Majors victory, when he got a small majority, a landslide. No because it wasn't a landslide. This is what PT have got here. a small majority but not a landslide. Learn how to use your native language,

CNN calls it a landslide, BBC called it a landslide. Maybe you should go educate them about politics too. Puea Thai won over 50% out of 40 political parties across Thailand. When you take all other 39 parties together, they can't even reach Puea Thai.

It has just been revised to 259, by the way, for Puea Thai. The Democrats at 120.

I'm sorry, it's a landslide when the difference between the 1st and the 2nd is over 100% more.

Shows how out of touch the Thai Visa news section regulars are with the opinions of the majority of Thai people IMO.

Great day for Thailand - putting the military and elite firmly in their places once and for all.

It also shows how fundamentally different Asian and Western cultures and values are. This is something that a lot of farang posters overlook. You may be married to a Thai. You may have been living here for 20 years. But still, you grew up in a completely different society, with different morals, values and ethics. What's right for the goose may not be right for the gander. You may treat this country as your home. The Thais may treat you as one of them. But, you are and will always be a foreigner and trying to force your values and ethics down the Thai people's throat will merely make them resent you more.

I guess you exclude Japan, Singapore, HK, perhaps Malaysia from the term "asian cultures" Not too long ago Japan was an agricultural nation, but they evolved and progressed much do to a different style of morality and ethics. In Thailand it is the lack of "meaningful education" that leads to the perpetuation of their system. I don't hate taksin or abisit or the military but taksin is but another elite/wealthy person that has learned to manipulate the system very well to his advantage. I dont see any thai political figures akin to Mandela, or Ghandi, do you?

One point of contention; "Japan was an agricultural nation, but they evolved and progressed much do to a different style of morality and ethics.". My USA history books all say Japan evolved the way Gen. Douglas McArthur forced them to after they had unconditionally surrendered. Japan regained independence April 1952.

Prior to losing the war, they were building battleships, submarines, fighter aircraft, etc, etc, 60-70 years ago, and a country without the natural resources and land as thailand. They lost the war, and agreed to abandon the military machine. Would you contend that prior to that, Japan was quite considerably more advanced than thailand is today?

CNN calls it a landslide, BBC called it a landslide. Maybe you should go educate them about politics too. Puea Thai won over 50% out of 40 political parties across Thailand. When you take all other 39 parties together, they can't even reach Puea Thai.

It has just been revised to 259, by the way, for Puea Thai. The Democrats at 120.

I'm sorry, it's a landslide when the difference between the 1st and the 2nd is over 100% more.

I agree, a LANDSLIDE. No doubt. But was it won legally? DOUBT. I am talking about the ILLEGAL role of Thaksin.

Is just under half the house a landslide as well?

Who cares? Yingluck has a majority, landslide, mudslide, waterslide. Whatever you want. Mrs Changers is happy and she may be from Isan but well educated. She is also Thai, in her 40's like me, and looking forward not backward.

255 seats out of 500, but less than 50% of the electorate, not remotely close to a landslide. They have just barely over half of the seats so they can do what they want, but less than half of the population's support. Fun times ahead!

Say perhaps that the Democrats had won 255 seats out of 500 instead of PTP. Would you complain then that it was less 50% of the electorate? The simple fact is PTP have won a majority of seats, 261, (subject to EC, Judicial and Army approval) and therefore win the right to form a government. The democrat figure of 160 seats represents less than a third of the seats available so do they have more claim to the voting publics mandate? Clearly Not.Learn to live with the peoples choice.

300 seats I'd call it a landslide. This is not a landslide.

I guess you're American and only used to two parties running.Just because there are 39 other parties running does not make them all serious contenders for votes.

Wake up and learn something. This is not a landslide. A victory yes but not a landslide.

They may not realize it now, but they will eventually.

It is a sad day for Thailand.

I did not fell this sick for a very long time. Simply do not understand how apparently also a lot of people that you would consider "educated" voted for this circus. How can they forget that easily???

Only good thing coming out of all this is going to be that their dreams will soon turn in nightmares for a lot of people and that is when hopefully they will realized what kind of mistake they made voting for them....

As far as Yingluck, I give her at a maximum of 6 month and then she will disappear from the political arena...but PLEASE, let us all enjoy at least one interview of her on BBC Hard Talk or similar before she is gone, will you! ;-)

I did not fell this sick for a very long time ...really ?

I felt sicker when the majority vote for the USA Democrats was pushed aside, in favour of that idiot George W. Bush.

Absolulely right. Kerry should be in his second term now and we wouldn't be burdened with Obama. Of course, Kerry would have to be looking for a new Vice President because John Edwards has been brought on corruption charges (plus and immoral private life).

A big win how ever you look at it and well done. I suspect the dross will be moaning about some cheating or the like somewhere ..... if you think of doing so please have some dignity Yingluck has won

300 seats I'd call it a landslide. This is not a landslide.

I guess you're American and only used to two parties running.Just because there are 39 other parties running does not make them all serious contenders for votes.

Wake up and learn something. This is not a landslide. A victory yes but not a landslide.

Uh no. I'm not American. Proud European here.

Puea Thai has over 100% more ..more than double the Democrats. If you don't consider that a landslide, then I don't know.

Maybe go to North Korea if you need 100% votes for one party for it to be a landslide :lol:

Most definitions of "election landslide" mention an overwhelming majority. This was hardly an overwhelming majority.

Uh no. I'm not American. Proud European here.

Puea Thai has over 100% more ..more than double the Democrats. If you don't consider that a landslide, then I don't know.

Maybe go to North Korea if you need 100% votes for one party for it to be a landslide :lol:

Check your figures again. Democrats will get about 160-170 seats.

Say perhaps that the Democrats had won 255 seats out of 500 instead of PTP. Would you complain then that it was less 50% of the electorate? The simple fact is PTP have won a majority of seats, 261, (subject to EC, Judicial and Army approval) and therefore win the right to form a government. The democrat figure of 160 seats represents less than a third of the seats available so do they have more claim to the voting publics mandate? Clearly Not.Learn to live with the peoples choice.

That would be more of a "landslide" than the current result, given that the Democrats got 190 seats in the last election and PPP got 237.