Retirement Visa (O-A)

I am applying for a Retirement Visa (A-O) within the next few weeks. I have referred to the requirements as well detailed on http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html.

I will be applying on the basis of bank deposit rather than ongoing pension. I note that a letter is still required from my embassy “saying I wish to retire in Thailand”.

Can you advise as to the wording that is required in this letter? I want to make sure that all is correct on submitting this application.

Thanks all.

This is the letter I received:

Re:Certificate of income

The undersigned, .........., Attache,at the Royal Netherlands Embassy in Bangkok,certifies that:

Name : ........

Date of birth: ........

Place of birth:........

A Dutch national

are the beneficiaries of an income/pension(s),from the Netherlands of Euro ......,amounting to approximately THB .......... gross per year,taxable in the Netherlands

For the Ambassador

(signed)

name........

See

www.imm.police.go.th

My understanding is you only require an embassy letter if you are relying on pension or other regular income. This view is suported by other threads

In your case, you are relying on bank deposit so don't need the letter.

I recently got a income (pension) letter from the British Embassy and nowhere does it state I want to retire to Thailand.

I think it blindingly obvious evidence of your intention when you fill in TM7 or TM86 and give as reason for extension of stay/change of visa: "retirement".

I think there is some confusion here.

You can only apply for the O-A visa at a Royal Thai Embassy Overseas, normally in your own country. So there is no embassy to issue the letter.

The Royal Thai Embassy where you are applying will tell you what documents they need to see.

If you are applying in Thailand, you will be extending a Non Imm O visa, based on your wish to retire, and the wording already given will suffice

for the embassy letter.

These are two seperate types of visa, but have the same end effect!!

Astral,

Confusion. I think you've added to it. You imply he WILL need an embassy letter. You sure?

You can only apply for O-A at a Thai Embassy overseas? Some consulates are authorised.

Normally in your own country? For O-A as opposed to "O" only in your own country

That apart, the clues are all there.

OP's link refers to applying IN THAILAND, further evidenced by his reference to bank deposit rather than savings, further evidenced by his other posts which indicate he has already arrived. I am sure he realises his country does not maintain an embassy inside it's his own borders.

And who says he will be extending an "O" visa. More than one way to skin a cat.

If he were he would not be extending the visa but his permission to stay on the basis of intention to retire here. Many people wish they could.

You'd think I have nothing better to do....... :o

Thanks guys for your efforts - but now I am totally confused!

For clarity:

Over last 2 years I have spent about 6 months per year in LOS – travelling on tourist visa.

Following the instructions on http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html I applied for a “non-immigrant” visa at the Thai Consulate in Dublin (no embassy here). They issued me with a category “O” visa “good for MULTIPLE journeys”. The visa must be utilised before “20 September 2006” (issue date was 20th September 2005).

Earlier this year I opened a savings deposit bank account at SCB (only passport was necessary to open it – contrary to many comments here!). Since then I have transferred sums (originating outside Thailand) well in excess of the 800,000 required.

Another point (unfortunately!) I qualify for the 50+ age criteria.

I arrive in Thailand on 13th November and intend to apply for a “retirement visa”. (Now I don't know if I am applying for an "O" or an "A".)

I intend to rely on the deposit in the bank and not any ongoing pension.

So considering the above – Do I need a letter from the Irish embassy/ consulate saying that I wish to retire in Thailand?

Any other advise on making the application?

Thanks in anticipation.

Here goes.

I'm sorry if I confused you.

YOU do NOT need a letter from your embassy if you have 800k in a Thai bank which has been transferred from abroad.

You are arriving on 13 November on an O multi entry visa. You will be given a stamp admitting you until 10 Feb.

With documentation and copies in hand, on or after 12 Jan you go to the immigration office. Don't leave it too late in case something is not to their satisfaction.

You fill in a form TM7 (application for extension of stay) and ask for a one year stay, reason retirement. And Lo! you will be permitted to say until 12 Nov 2006.

THATS IT, BUT READ ON IF YOU STILL ENJOY CONFUSION

You did not need a multi O from Dublin: a single entry would have sufficed, but that is now history.

In fact you are not applying for a new visa or an extension to your visa: you are applying for an extension to the 90 day permission to stay you received on 13 Nov. But this is purely an issue for we pedants. You will never need to leave the country and you can obtain further one year extensions easliy. If you want to exit Thailand you MUST obtain a seperate reentry permit. Your original multi O issued in Dublin has been, for want of a better word, invalidated.

An O-A visa is a visa permittting you a 365 day stay in Thailand only issued abroad. You would have got a stamp admitting you until 12 Nov 2006 at BKK arrivals. "A" simply tells the officer at BKK that the 365 days is pre-approved.

You can download TM7 or view it from this website or from Immigration bureau web site.

Thanks guys for your efforts - but now I am totally confused!

It was you who started the confusion, but unwittingly so, I am sure.

Following the instructions on http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html I applied for a “non-immigrant” visa at the Thai Consulate in Dublin (no embassy here). They issued me with a category “O” visa “good for MULTIPLE journeys”. The visa must be utilised before “20 September 2006” (issue date was 20th September 2005).

In your fist post in this thread you said that you were “applying for a Retirement Visa (A-O) within the next few weeks”. Now we know better: you have a multiple entry non-immigrant visa category O and you will enter Thailand on 13 Nov. 2005.

What is a non-OA visa (which you do not have)? It is a non-O visa pre-approved for the purpose of retirement, i.e. the retirement status is already recognised and approved by the issuing consulate.

Earlier this year I opened a savings deposit bank account at SCB (only passport was necessary to open it – contrary to many comments here!). Since then I have transferred sums (originating outside Thailand) well in excess of the 800,000 required.

Another point (unfortunately!) I qualify for the 50+ age criteria.

I arrive in Thailand on 13th November and intend to apply for a “retirement visa”. (Now I don't know if I am applying for an "O" or an "A".)

Your next step is to go to the Immigration Office and apply for a one-year extension of your permission to stay (you are not applying for a visa or change of visa). the application form TM-7 is here.

I intend to rely on the deposit in the bank and not any ongoing pension.

So considering the above – Do I need a letter from the Irish embassy/ consulate saying that I wish to retire in Thailand?

The requirements are spelled out here. Click on the icon on the left of “Visa extension”, then on the icon on the left of “to spend the remainder of life”. (Just to prevent another confusion, that expression “visa extension” is technically wrong. It is an “extension of permission to stay”)

You do not need all the documents listed there, some are either-or requirements. With over 800K in the bank, you do not need a letter from the Irish consulate.

Your Thai bank will give you a letter certifying that the money in your account came from abroad and confirm the balance of your account. This letter should not be older than 7 days when you apply for your extension. You still must bring the bank book along, and copies of it for Immigration. Also copies of relevant pages of your passport (pages showing name and validity, visa, last entry stamp)

Important: when you apply for your one-year extension your passport will get stamped with something like “application for extension under consideration … applicant must report to Immigration office on <date>)”. From that moment onward, you should no longer use your multiple-entry non-O visa to re-enter the country, as it would void your pending application for extension. Instead, you need to get a re-entry permit before leaving the country, and be sure to be back in time for that reporting date.

When your application gets approved, the extension will be until 12 Nov. 2006 (one year minus one day after your entry date of 13 Nov. 2005).

A word of warning. There are reports in this forum that Immigration are rejecting downloaded TM7s. If you do print remember to print on both sides of a single sheet.

Despite what Maestro says there are very reliable reports that extensions are being issued "on the spot". If you are given an under consideration stamp no need to worry.

A retirement extension can be issued at the same time you apply for it as you have presented all the proof they need. This is even true upcountry. So it is a good option for many who are married but who do have the pension or bank account to make one less trip to immigration.

I recently got a income (pension) letter from the British Embassy and nowhere does it state I want to retire to Thailand.

How much did they charge you? Did they need to see any proof of the income?

I think the notice said 26GBP. Anyway I was charged 1763THB, outrageous.

Yes you are required you show evidence of income. I showed a letter from occupational Pension provider issued in May after I got a cost of living rise. My feeling is they would be pretty relaxed about the form of evidence. hel_l, I could have produced the letter on this computer. I suppose they may make random checks...who knows.

For the OP watch the dates.

You must be in Thailand sometime in the 30 days before your retirement visa needs to be renewed. And as was said before the retirement visa is from the date you entered the country not the date you applied.

So if you entered on the 12th November and applyfor the retirement visa between the 12 January and 12 February (not more than 30 days before your 90 days visa runs out) your retirement visa will have to be renewed between 12 October and 12 November every year.

If like me you are just escaping the winter weather then some years you might like to return to Thailand a little later, say in December but you can't do that and keep your retirement visa.

So use your multiple re-entry, slip up to the border in February and re-enter the county. Apply for your retirement visa in April and it will be backdated to February, now that is your renewal date - and at a time of year when no sane person is in Europe.

Thanks Briley for advice. But no I am not just going there to escape winters in Europe so the date is not critical. In fact I have lived out of Europe since the late 70's. I just happen to be back here now to wind up some matters. BTW I could never stick the winters (or indeed the "summers").

Thanks again to all for the help

One slight correction on Briley post is the extension ends one day prior to entry so last date to apply for new extension would be November 11.

If you find yourself with required travel by all means go to immigration early and if you can show reason/tickets for travel there is a possibility they can accommodate you. Otherwise plan on obtained a new non immigrant O visa prior to return so you can start the retirement visa process again.

I am well aware of what he said and I was correcting it before anyone took it as the truth. He said 12 Oct to 12 Nov for renewal and that was incorrect as he also said entry date was 12 Nov. The time he applied for first retirement is not the important date. The date of arrival is. So application has to be made the day prior to that date (which is his permitted to stay date on the extension) - 11 November the next year.

OK, Lop.

I admit it. I was point scoring. Admit it, so were you. But he DID say BETWEEN 12 Oct and 12 Nov. So it was the truth. He was technically correct.

C'mon Briley support me, you knew the permission to remain expired on 11 Nov didn't you.

12 Jan?? I tried to correct my typo and made another.

:o No - but I did only aproximate all the dates assuming 12 Nov to 12 Feb inclusive was 90 days - it isn't as it is actually 91 days. God how I hate this day counting lark, I lose count at 50 almost every time.

…but I did only aproximate all the dates assuming 12 Nov to 12 Feb inclusive was 90 days - it isn't as it is actually 91 days. God how I hate this day counting lark, I lose count at 50 almost every time.

93 days, actually.