The Election Is Over But The Hatred Remains; Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

The election is over but the hatred remains

By The Nation

It's time for ordinary Thais to take reconciliation into their own hands

The much-anticipated election has passed and "the people have spoken". The biggest problem, however, remains unsolved, and it has nothing to do with how to have a workable government, or how to handle the potentially explosive issue of "amnesty", or how the Thai military should behave. Thailand remains divided, and not between Abhisit Vejjajiva and Thaksin Shinawatra or between Sondhi Limthongkul and whomever is his enemy-of-the-moment. The division is between Thai people, the real casualties of the years-old political war, and it remains nowhere near solution.

The election outcome is one thing. Every poll is supposed to reflect splits in opinion on welfare, economy, ideology, etc. But not every election has people flocking to polling stations with hatred in their hearts. Again, it's one thing if they hate politicians, but it's another if they hate those voting for "the other side".

We are a strife-torn nation. Thai people have been hating each other for political reasons, and this is simply sad. Not everyone is hateful, and there are plenty who are able to feel love for the "other colours", but the scale of citizen-against-citizen revulsion is a marked phenomenon. Check out the web boards or social media networks. There is enough material in them to break our hearts.

Hatred has taken away many things, and one of them is the ability to be true to ourselves. "Double standards" have spread from the political sphere to ordinary Thais, who condemn violence only when "the other side" commits it, who deplore "injustice" only when their camp suffers, and who will turn a blind eye to "corruption" if it involves their adored politicians. We go about our business doing two things - accusing others of being hypocritical while ignoring our own hypocrisy.

Can this be stopped?

True "reconciliation" cannot come from any one political side, whose ultimate interests may even be threatened if Thais start to love one another again.

Our nation can only get back to normal when Thais truly accept their compatriots' difference of opinion as a human right and a natural part of a diverse society. The division was started by politicians, but reconciliation will have to come from the real people. The "fighting elephants" spun the hatred and nearly tore the country apart, and we simply cannot trust them to heal the wounds. If we do, the healing will only go as far as it suits them.

It will not be easy. The rival camps have spent years recruiting people to their sides. The line between "This is just ideological difference, so it's no big deal" and "We have to squash the enemies" has always been blurred. The people of Thailand have been poisoned and they will have to find their own antidote. We simply can't expect any good cure from those responsible for our sickness in the first place.

We need to look around and de-politicise our relationships, friendships and other connections with fellow Thais. Let the politicians continue to drum up their own "reconciliation" programmes, but we must know that no new law or propaganda can fix the broken ties between families or friends. "Reaching out" is always a nice phrase to use, but it means nothing if no one really acts on it.

People talk about lost years, lost lives and lost property. The ultimate casualty of this war is lost love, the bonding that made Thailand so warm and harmonious. It will take time to rebuild what once existed so naturally.

Politics is accountable for the destruction, so while the general election was part of the ongoing effort to restore the old Land of Smiles, the whole work cannot be left to the political side.

We have done our job politically by casting our votes yesterday, so, to prevent that going to waste, we must take the real first step toward reconciliation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-04

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reconciliation can never come as long as Thaksin is pulling the strings and that is the bottom line. Allowing Thaksin to run another puppet government does nothing but move Thailand backwards. I could care less if an actual Thaksin clone won the election but at some point all Thais have to realize that having Thaksin in anyway running the show is bad for all Thais in the long run. If Thaksin cared even one ounce about the Thai people he would have handled his life as fugitive very differently.

Reconciliation can never come as long as Thaksin is pulling the strings and that is the bottom line. Allowing Thaksin to run another puppet government does nothing but move Thailand backwards. I could care less if an actual Thaksin clone won the election but at some point all Thais have to realize that having Thaksin in anyway running the show is bad for all Thais in the long run. If Thaksin cared even one ounce about the Thai people he would have handled his life as fugitive very differently.

A big part of why what you say is true is because; Thaksins strategy and tactics to win and maintain power are specifically based on keeping the hatred going in a big way. He took the demagoguery of 'Us vs Them' and brought it to new lows that Thailand may never be able to recover from. He no doubt thinks this was 'leadership' since his political machine is leading the polls, but true national leaders unite, not divide. As you said, as long as he seeks to control the country via his machine the hatred will remain, revenge and retribution will be the order of the day and reconciliation is not possible.

Just think about it "Thaksin and PT say they want reconcillation" If Tak stayed away from the country and" let it be" maybe there is a slim chance ,but now he will think he's had such an influence on a victory that will give greater incentive to do more. The poison will continue have no doubt.

Edited by KKvampire

See you can not leave it alone because you are full of prejudice, Hatred begets hatred, They are trying to move forward, but some would rather see the world annihilated if it was not to their own preference, They should stop trying to be God and become a PART of the Human race

More sour grapes. The Nation and is pandering to hate is a key culprit in the negative perceptions. How come the Nation never crusaded against corruption, naming and shaming? Let the Nation set the example and expose the corrupt practices in Thailand's business world.

A big part of why what you say is true is because; Thaksins strategy and tactics to win and maintain power are specifically based on keeping the hatred going in a big way. He took the demagoguery of 'Us vs Them' and brought it to new lows that Thailand may never be able to recover from. He no doubt thinks this was 'leadership' since his political machine is leading the polls, but true national leaders unite, not divide. As you said, as long as he seeks to control the country via his machine the hatred will remain, revenge and retribution will be the order of the day and reconciliation is not possible.

Reconciliation can never come while some want to ignore the votes of the people.

Nobody want Army party to win (except generals)

See you can not leave it alone because you are full of prejudice, Hatred begets hatred, They are trying to move forward, but some would rather see the world annihilated if it was not to their own preference, They should stop trying to be God and become a PART of the Human race

I suggest you move to the south and test the water, he's not exactly popular down here

Reconciliation can never come as long as Thaksin is pulling the strings

Unfortunatly the Dems NEVER made a substantive effort at "reconciliation". Reconciliation to them meant accept our goverment and shut up. Not a suprise at what happend.

What goes around comes around .... and now we are set for another go around

It is as you know my Face,true I who is faceless will see it as I have seen you before, am I, at 69% it is if my image is viable to all.

Will I not to repeat my wrongs as a faceless citizen,

"As here"

Maybe its me but cannot locate the insert link button, maybe its my security configuration in Firefox

More sour grapes. The Nation and is pandering to hate is a key culprit in the negative perceptions. How come the Nation never crusaded against corruption, naming and shaming? Let the Nation set the example and expose the corrupt practices in Thailand's business world.

The Nation is an English language newspapers. How can it effect the opinion of most of the Thai people?

Quite true, the big lie that this is a rural poor versus Bangkok elite issue has been told repeatedly by the absentee multi-billionaire. His chinese ancestry seems to have been completely forgotten by the poor ethnic Thais of Isaan and the premeditated conspiracy to cause many deaths amongst their number has also been forgotten. The phrase 'Useful idiots' springs to mind here and now Thailand will pay in the long run for it's short term myopia.

Spot-on, this one!

As usual, Thaksin is using his wealth and intelligence

to further his own personal interests- at the expense of

Thailand's warm-hearted unity. HE, in my opinion, has

created (and financed,) the majority of the animosity

now so prevelant throughout Thailand. Please, for the sake of

Thai society, don't continue to allow him to divide Thai

society in order to further his meglomaniac ambitions.

Quite true, the big lie that this is a rural poor versus Bangkok elite issue has been told repeatedly by the absentee multi-billionaire. His chinese ancestry seems to have been completely forgotten by the poor ethnic Thais of Isaan and the premeditated conspiracy to cause many deaths amongst their number has also been forgotten. The phrase 'Useful idiots' springs to mind here and now Thailand will pay in the long run for it's short term myopia.

IMHO it is the Chinese new elite vs the old Bangkok aristocracy and the poor people are just the useful idiots for the Chinese new elite

A wonderful day !!!!

The corruption of the events of 2006 is put right yet again.

TRT/PPP/PTP have now won every election for what is fast approaching 20 years. Everyone remember how corrupt the Democrats were back before TRT and Thaksin rose to power.

Having lived through Democrat corruption and the rise to power of TRT and then its downfall at the hands of the military and the elite invisible hand - I can assure you TRT and Thaksin is far better than anything else THailand has seen and its why the people CONTINUALLY vote for them.

The excuses of the only reason Thaksin won is because TRT was in power are blown away, they have won when the military where in control and against then and now won when the Democrats/BJT were in control and against them.

A wonderful day for Thailand. The Thai people in the majority have shown who they support, and well done to them for YET AGAIN choosing the TRT/PPP/PTP and rejecting the others.

IMHO it is the Chinese new elite vs the old Bangkok aristocracy and the poor people are just the useful idiots for the Chinese new elite

Old school we were there in 2003 when Thaivisa started. It's actually Hong Kong. Put I suspect you know that.

Well, the folks down here in the South cannot abide the man or his clone Sister, but to be honest, surely I am the same as almost every expat here, it does not affect me or you one iota. I really dislike him, but it has no affect on my daily life. The truth is the Sister has won but now the party is back in power, he will be calling all the shots. However, if he really is going to get the dollar back at 40 baht then bring it on, I am sure the expats could do with a few years break and an increase in effective spending power. I am also sure most of us will not turn our nose up at a 30% hike in exchange rate.

Nisa ,Your best post ever, If only he would get lost then and only then would we see if the Thais can get around the massive problems he has created. For all he has stirred up whilst he has been on the run, has caused more hatred. The problem being he feels he is so big and important -he cannot let go- similar to a pit bull terrier.

A wonderful day !!!!

TRT/PPP/PTP have now won every election for what is fast approaching 20 years. Everyone remember how corrupt the Democrats were back before TRT and Thaksin rose to power.

Having lived through Democrat corruption and the rise to power of TRT and then its downfall at the hands of the military and the elite invisible hand - I can assure you TRT and Thaksin is far better than anything else THailand has seen and its why the people CONTINUALLY vote for them.

The excuses of the only reason Thaksin won is because TRT was in power are blown away, they have won when the military where in control and against then and now won when the Democrats/BJT were in control and against them.

A wonderful day for Thailand. The Thai people in the majority have shown who they support, and well done to them for YET AGAIN choosing the TRT/PPP/PTP and rejecting the others.

And TRT/PPP (perhaps also PTP) have been disqualified from every victory, from vote buying. After Thaksin was booted out with a coup it became possible to put him on trial and reveal the full extent of his corruption, I urge the new government to look for similar corruption from the Democrats in the recent govt.

And don't kid yourself that it's all about numbers, because without the 20 million in Isarn willing to sell their vote or easily bamboozled with handouts, Thaksin would never have even made it past the first election.

Yes it is a great day and a major step forward in Thailands road to democracy. Many or even most of those who vote phuea Thai no longer want a country run by 'good people' handpicked by military generals and deeply corrupt businessmen, and "unbiased judges".Thaksin is merely a symbol of the democracy movement, no longer the main factor in this vote.

However, The democrats , their backers and the military will be looking for any chance to overturn the vote and that is going to lead to more unrest..

The Nation is an English language newspapers. How can it effect the opinion of most of the Thai people?

The Nation is a poorly written paper that is not worthy of having the title "news" added to it.

The big problem is that there are more "Have Nots" than "Haves" in Thailand. As long as that perceived gap exists, the poor majority will support anyone who delivers anything that resembles a better situation than they are now experiencing. If the rich want to stay in power, they will have to give up something or risk losing it all. Unfortunately, the rich and powerful want to not only hold on to it all, but want more.

Looking at recent history, the revolutions in Russia, China, Cuba, etc. resulted when the majority of the populace was poor and believed they had nothing to lose by joining the revolution. Their target was easy to identify and attack. America has prevented this problem by keeping its poorest citizens fat and lazy with food handouts and access to over a hundred cable channels. They might not be that happy, but they now have something that they don't want to lose. They have also convinced the majority that there is a chance for them to enter the higher echelon of society, not realizing that it is nothing but a glass ceiling.

The point is, that as long as there is hope that one can become part of the ruling class, there will be a strong resistance to destroy the regime. Without that hope, expect chaos...lots of chaos.

Spot-on, this one!

As usual, Thaksin is using his wealth and intelligence

to further his own personal interests- at the expense of

Thailand's warm-hearted unity. HE, in my opinion, has

created (and financed,) the majority of the animosity

now so prevelant throughout Thailand. Please, for the sake of

Thai society, don't continue to allow him to divide Thai

society in order to further his meglomaniac ambitions.

Lets not forget his little sister's "alleged" role in financing the red terrorists.

http://en.wikipedia....hirt_Protestors

Yingluck's bank account was among 86 bank accounts that were accused of funding support for the
protestors during their
. During this period of time, chaos occurred throughout the nation especially in the Bangkok Metropolitan area. Based on the investigation of the Department for Special Investigation, during 28 April 2009 – May 2010, around 317 million baht flowed through her account. 150 million baht was deposited while 166 million baht was withdrawn. On 28 April 2010 alone, 144 million baht was withdrawn.
Beginning 28 April 2010, the chaotic situation went from bad to worse. On 28 April, a fight occurred in
, and a soldier was killed. On 7–8 May, two policemen were killed during a riot in Saladang district, Bangkok. On 14 May, fights occurred in many parts of Bangkok which led to several deaths.

Edit: Just a note that the Source Links are Included above

Edited by Nisa

I dont see the intra-community hatred mentioned. The very working class guys who all watch epl football matches together I know who managed to vote for both sides dont fight over it. Up north the ones who vote Dem arent outcasts in the villages I have been in. There were also reporters who followed Dem candidates in the Isaan and found the anger to be toweards Abhisit rather than the local candidate. The hatred is more likely at the level of the divided upper classes, business classes and some of the chattering classes who follow politics. Hell, even most of the middle class seem more into movie start gossip and i-pads rather than who runs the country and who does what.

The caveat being of course that the people can always be riled up by those involved at higher levels on any side, but to claim it is hatred person to person at the ordinary level is a step too far. imho

A wonderful day !!!!

And TRT/PPP (perhaps also PTP) have been disqualified from every victory, from vote buying. After Thaksin was booted out with a coup it became possible to put him on trial and reveal the full extent of his corruption, I urge the new government to look for similar corruption from the Democrats in the recent govt.

And don't kid yourself that it's all about numbers, because without the 20 million in Isarn willing to sell their vote or easily bamboozled with handouts, Thaksin would never have even made it past the first election.

Standard excuse from losers.

In 2007 the military attempted to make sure minimal vote buying by any party. Result PPP won.

In 2011 the military/Democrats/BJT/Multicolours all tried to make sure minimal vote buying by PTP and it seems IGNORE all other parties vote buying. Result PTP won.

Vote buying is not something that TRT/Thaksin invented. It is standard practice by all. And TRT/PPP/PTP have shown they can win without it.

After the 2006 coup the top judiciary was changed by the military and then the very same military appointed judiciary and the military appointed panels to investigate Thaksin SURPRISE found the man they kicked out guilty, which then justified to themselves their action and justified their AMNESTY they gave themselves.

Corruption - the Thai people continue to vote against the biggest corruption. Its just the corrupt cannot accept the result and keep trying to nullify it.

I wouldn't post Wikipedia links as proof to anything because anyone can edit the Wiki page to say whatever they want. Look at the bottom of the article for citations from real news sources and post them instead.