Overstayed On A Non-Imm Type O

I've just realised I've overstayed about 20 days on the 90 day extension of my non-immigration type O visa.

What should I do?

Can I do another visa run to Cambodia and pay the overstay fine or do I need to go somewhere?

Will I be able to get another stamp for another 90 days?

Thanks.

Per above, just leave and re-enter. But be sure not to get caught before you reach the border.

and here is the tricky one, if you go by land most of the time before you reach the Cambodian border there are check points and if they catch you there you got a problem. I think the best is to leave by plane and pay your overstay at the airport.

JDG

Per above, just leave and re-enter. But be sure not to get caught before you reach the border.

and here is the tricky one, if you go by land most of the time before you reach the Cambodian border there are check points and if they catch you there you got a problem. I think the best is to leave by plane and pay your overstay at the airport.

JDG

I was planning to go on the Visa Run bus (coach). Do they check everyone on those? I've done it a couple of times and no one seemed to check.

JDG

I was planning to go on the Visa Run bus (coach). Do they check everyone on those? I've done it a couple of times and no one seemed to check.

the visa run company is not checking but what i said is before you reach the border you can be checked.

But i must honestly say if the company you are talking about is Mr. Jack G that one i never had a check before reaching the border. But I did a few border runs with smaller companies driving in mini vans and with those it happened that the van was stopped and passports were checked.

so i should say:

1 fly out of the country

2 a big visa run company

3 if the 2 above are not possible then a small visa run company driving a mini van

Hubby and I have riden buses many times and never had our passports checked. Yes, we've been thru checkpoints, with officiers boarding and asking some people for identification, but never us. We've always been on buses that were primarily serving Thais, not westerners, we were fairly well-groomed (as good as you can look during a day of bus travel) and we look like we've been married for decades (which we have). Maybe you need to take a western woman with you. Older western guys traveling alone seem to attract more attention from the authorities.

I think I will be OK on the bus ride. More worried about what happens when I get to the border and they see I am so late.

Maybe you need to take a western woman with you. Older western guys traveling alone seem to attract more attention from the authorities.

I'm only 31! I don't really know anyone western woman that would be interested in a 12 hour bus ride to Cambodia and back.

I think I will be OK on the bus ride. More worried about what happens when I get to the border and they see I am so late.

Maybe you need to take a western woman with you. Older western guys traveling alone seem to attract more attention from the authorities.

you seem to have missed the point of several previous posters. As you are on overstay, you need to get to a border (where it is quite simple process to pay overstay fee and leave) without being stopped beforehand by immigration/police and them checking your passport and discovering the overstay. They would arrest you as overstay is illegal. Hence the previous advice to use airport. Anyway, hope it goes well foryou.

If I go out via air and leave through the new airport in Bangkok what is the procedure for paying the fine?

Do I just go through immigration as usual and then pay the person on the desk or should I go and turn myself in somewhere before hand at the airport?

Thank you all for your help.

i go by car they never check, the mini buses well they know there is likly to be one dummy on there on overstay as well there normally is. some visa run companies wont take over stays because it delays the whole bus whist the **** is dealt with. so as all the advise above says get your self to the airport asap, low cost airline some where, if they catch you before you get to a border then you will go to prison and will probably get massive fine and deported.

Edited by Mario2008
flame deleted

There is no massive fine, other than a maximum of 20,000 baht and a judge will not sent you to prison for 20 days overstay. He will even sentence one to a lesser fine than immigration will impose. Only if you not pay does one go to prison.

Do not forget if you do not take a new visa for your return to Thailand and plan to have a visa on arrival (30 day's) some airlines my require to see an onward ticket out of Thailand within the next 30 days

sorry i just see your non imm O is still valid so no need for the above

Edited by jdg

You are the one who needs to make the choice.

Going with a visa run company "should" be no problem, would not work for me tho, as I doubt thye will take responsibility IF there is a problem.

I have travelled many times by car to the border, and at times we have been stopped, and I have been asked for my passport.

Return flight to Singapore is easyand not that expensive. You can just do a turn around in the Changi terminal and come stright back in.

Why risk it ?

A few years back I went on an organised visa run in a mini van. One of the passengers was on overstay and sods law being as it is we were stopped at a checkpoint. The police involved could easily see what the purpose of our trip was and let us all carry on to the border, even after a passport inspection.

It is quite obvious that if you are on an organised visa run your intention is to be legal. I wouldn't worry about it myself, however it's your choice.

I did my visa run yesterday.  When I got to the meeting point at Ekkamai I told the organisers I was an overstayer and they said "mai pen rai".  

When I got to the border I had to go to a different window from everyone else and paid my fine and filled in the recipt for the fine and they put a little stamp in passport which was all in Thai but probably said I'd overstayed. They didn't say anything to me or ask me anything.  

Then I left Thailand for a few minutes before coming back in where I got my stamp for a further 90 days.  

All in all it was pretty painless apart from the 10,500 fine and the 12 hours on a bus!  Thanks for all your advice.

Edited by Joevisa

Congrats on your painless adventure.

I'm one of those guys that has a regular paper journal, how low tech.

I put a red star on the absolute last day prior to being an overstay.

Tnen I add another star 7 days prior, as a warning. Think of it an an early alert warning.

You can do the same with your cell phone, iPod, etc.

I related your story to a mate of mine who turned ashen white. He was an overstay by 6,000b.

Ouch.

Once you get into Long Term Retirement visas, you'll learn to begin processing your renewal 30 days prior.

The Thai Immigration Law states that youe need 21 good days prior to any renewal of visa change.

Keep this 21 day limit in mind. Like a water hazard on any golf course. It is dangerous if you ignore it.

There is no such 21 day early requirement for extensions of stay. You can normally do anytime during the last 30 days. Where the 21 days was in effect was for change of entry status (getting non immigrant entry from Immigration) but even for that much less time is allowed currently.