90 Day Reporting

Here is the situation - a friend is doing the 90 day reporting, and it is due again next week(90 days from his last report). He did leave the country to go to the states and got back a few days ago.

I think he doesn't have to report again for 90 days from his last entry to Thailand(a few days ago). He thinks otherwise - that leaving the country has no effect on the 90 day reporting.

Who is correct?

You are correct.

If you’ve got a bet on the line and need to cite chapter and verse to prove your point, go to the website of the Immigration Department, from which I quote the following:

–  The notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days is in no way equivalent to a visa extension.

–  If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

–  If a foreigner leaves the country and re-enters, the day count starts at 0 in every case .

–  For details contact 0-2285-5142, 0-2287-3101-10 ext.2262, 2263

Edited by maestro

It is the date of the latest TM Arrival Card that begins the 90 day clock.

But hey, Suan Plu is not such a bad place for an unnecessary trip. They will just smile and say come back in 3 months.

Be warned that the food counter at the entrance is not there any more, so you have to go across the street to get a bottle of water.

Cheers

Paul,

If he took the advice and went back in 3 months he'll be on overstay as he's already been back in the country a few days. He'd need something more than a bottle of water to bribe his way out of that.

There is a 7 day grace period before and after the magical date.

Maybe that will help.

And if he is on overstay, the 90 day requirement is pointless.

Paul,

If he took the advice and went back in 3 months he'll be on overstay as he's already been back in the country a few days. He'd need something more than a bottle of water to bribe his way out of that.

There is a 7 day grace period before and after the magical date.

Maybe that will help.

And if he is on overstay, the 90 day requirement is pointless.

I think the "grace" period is only "before". Not 100% sure - never tried it :o

RDN,

Thank God

At last somebody else with a grasp of the finer points of Thai law. Did you know it was based on Irish law? Not many people do.

If you report to immigration during the grace period of 7 days before your 90 days are up you'll probaby only get a slap on the wrist. Worst is 2 year imprisonment and/or 20000THB fine.

God knows what would happen if you made a 90 day report after 90days. I am told, and I shudder to think, that you are forced to publicly recite from this forum. A cruel and unnatural punishment?

But someone looking over my shoulder has just corrected me. Apparently a period of grace is a time during which, having committed an offence before that period, you may obtain amnesty. leniency, or consideration if you come forward and admit to that offence. Wow. Too clever for me to understand.

RDN,

Re. my last post

I have just been castigated in another thread so have reread my most recent posts.

In this case I think my accuser is right. My attempt at humour fails and comes over as unnecessary heavy sarcasm.

I ask you to accept my apology RDN

No problems "Seen all,learnt nothing" - I got your humour, but then, I like sarcasm :o

Lopburi3 is the expert here - I was just recalling something from a long time ago when one member reckoned he got fined for just missing the 90 day deadline. But if Lop says 7 days either side, then 7 days either side it is!

It is the date of the latest TM Arrival Card that begins the 90 day clock.

But hey, Suan Plu is not such a bad place for an unnecessary trip. They will just smile and say come back in 3 months.

Be warned that the food counter at the entrance is not there any more, so you have to go across the street to get a bottle of water.

Cheers

I returned from the UK on October 4th. My 90 day notification period, according to the slip in my passport, expired on October 20th and I went to Pattaya Immigration on that date to report as normal. The officer processed my new 90 day report form as though I had never been out of the country, even though I clearly stated on it when I had last entered the Kingdom, and issued a new Report By slip dated 90 days from then, despite having inspected my recent Re-entry permit, TM card and entry stamp.

I made the 90 day report to be on the safe side, but the officer didn't mention that it wasn't necessary. In fact he didn't say anything.

Lopburi3 is the expert here - I was just recalling something from a long time ago when one member reckoned he got fined for just missing the 90 day deadline. But if Lop says 7 days either side, then 7 days either side it is!

Seconded!

You may also look here:

http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days

Procedure and notification

4. notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.

I made the 90 day report to be on the safe side, but the officer didn't mention that it wasn't necessary. In fact he didn't say anything.

Interesting, you should have asked.

Maybe it was near the immigration officer's lunch time and he couldn't be bothered to explain. It doesn't really matter much to them, does it? It's just a record of where you are currently staying, your flight number, passport number, etc. - whether you report 90 days after you entered Thailand, or 90 days after your previous slip expired, they've still got the information. This is probably just a case of the "discretion" that all immigration officers apparently have. :o

Edited by RDN

Interesting, you should have asked.

Maybe it was near the immigration officer's lunch time and he couldn't be bothered to explain. It doesn't really matter much to them, does it? It's just a record of where you are currently staying, your flight number, passport number, etc. - whether you report 90 days after you entered Thailand, or 90 days after your previous slip expired, they've still got the information. This is probably just a case of the "discretion" that all immigration officers apparently have. :o

It crossed my mind to ask the immigration officer at Bangkok Airport when I re-entered Thailand, but I didn't on the grounds that what the lady told me could well have differed with Pattaya Immigration practice. It was lunchtime when I reported but I was seen straight away, the office was rather quiet.

I'd rather be safe than sorry on mattters like this, but next time I do my 90 day report I will ask. My passport is totally clean , no overstays or illegal entry stamps/visas and I want to keep it that way.

A few years ago, when I was on Non-Imm 'O' visas, long before I was granted an O-A, I changed my address and promtly went to Pattaya Immigration to report the matter. I tried to explain the circumstances, that I no longer resided at the address on my TM card, but was told that it was not necessary, only to report every 90 days. Of course I wasn't doing 90 day reporting then, just good old regular visa runs.

The new TM.6 acts as an address report when used with a re-entry permit so there is no need to report until 90 days from that date. That is the rule as observed by immigration. They will read the new TM.6 when they see that you are not reporting on the date the TM.47 receipt says but there is no problem or passport entry - you are following the rules.

Obviously you could well be outside Thailand on the date your TM.47 has listed.

As for OP I suspect the officer was giving a break rather than requiring another visit a few days or weeks later as would likely have been the case if he insisted on going by the letter of the rules. This has also been used recently to try and synchronize your yearly extension with a 90 day report date.

The new TM.6 acts as an address report when used with a re-entry permit so there is no need to report until 90 days from that date.  That is the rule as observed by immigration.  They will read the new TM.6 when they see that you are not reporting on the date the TM.47 receipt says but there is no problem or passport entry - you are following the rules.

Obviously you could well be outside Thailand on the date your TM.47 has listed.

As for OP I suspect the officer was giving a break rather than requiring another visit a few days or weeks later as would likely have been the case if he insisted on going by the letter of the rules.  This has also been used recently to try and synchronize your yearly extension with a 90 day report date.

Thanks for your input on this matter, I've noted what you said.

When the new Pattaya Immigration Office, which is actually in Jomtien, opens, we have been promised an on-line 90 day reporting facility. I'm not holding my breath on this one, but at least it's only 400 meters away as the crow flies. No more trekking to Soi 8.

It's only once every 90 days, or less if you go on holiday abroad from time to time.

You could post it if it that much of a hassle.

It's no hassle for me when compared with those godforsaken visa runs and I'm certainly not complaining. The expense, waste of a day and the hassle from the kids at Poipet; not to mention the possibilty of a road accident. I'll take the 90 day reporting requirement any day!

On the subject of 90 day reporting, about a year ago someone wrote to the Pattaya Mail and comlplained, using words to the effect that it was a hassle, totally unneccessary and didn't see why he should have to do it. If that was the case why did he bother applying for a retirement visa? I'm sure that there are literally thousands of expats, who, for one reason or another, don't qualify for retirement visas, but would happily swap the need to do visa runs for a brief visit to Immigration every 90 days.