Irony At The Reins As The Bandwagon Starts Rolling; Thai Opinion

webfact

Expect the defamation suits to start.

Good. I hope they win and they are awarded damages that bankrupt the Nation.

Ah yes, the Classic Thaksin Response to Freedom Of Speech.

Lets get those jack boots in lock step against all who disagree.

It's the peoples will to stifle commentary that doesn't agree with the bosses plans.

Just as it was before.

On the contrary, it is you that is espousing a contempt for the principles of civil society. If the Nation has committed a civil offense, then surely it is up to the civil courts to judge the matter and decide on the penalty should their be a judgement against the Nation? Are you of the position that an unsubstantiated allegation can be made without any legal consequences? The Nation has made a serious accusation. let it offer proof to back up its claim(s). The most appropriate place to settle a serious civil dispute is in a civil court. That's what the courts are there for.

I suggest you heed the words of your defeated leader former PM Abhisit who states, "Pheu Thai has achieved a simple majority, which is a clear mandate," He also stated that

he wanted fellow Democrats to reflect on the poll defeat in a bid to try to chart a new course. In plain english that means that the old strategy of spreading hateful uncorroborated statements is wrong and that if the Democrats want to advance they need to try something else. How about instead of repeating the old stories and listing all the grievances that you have, that you consider something more constructive?

I am looking foward to the PTP term. I hope to be able to provide whatever support I can to help the PTP advance the lives of the Thai people. Personally, I think the best move is to deal with troublemakers, fifth columnists and instigators through legal means. If falsehoods are uttered, people must be held accountable.

It didn't take long for the geheime staatspolizei to get started!

I don't understand why the Nation has a problem if wealthy successful people show empathy and concern with the poor. Is concern for the poor some sort of character fault? Is it possible that some of the wealthy people are feeling a bit uncomfortable with this display of compassion and understanding? :lol: . Perhaps if the PM designate was running a string of massage parlors and pimping out young women she would have earned the Nation's respect?

How do you reconcile Thaksin's love for the poor with his insistence (and other members of the clan) of not paying taxes that would end up financing programs to support the poor of the nation?

Least we forget, the assets recovered from him in his attempt to evade taxes were 46 billion baht, how many programs to help the poor can you create with that money?

So tell us just how many programmes were created with that money by the Democrats or is that cash sitting safely somewhere waiting for a rainy day.

"Chuwit Kamolvisit - who admitted to paying millions of baht each month in police bribes but decided to enter politics after he fell out with the then police chief - got elected on an anticorruption ticket."

At least he has some experience of the subject - more than can be said of some!

Wow and that for an editorial! Bankrupt them for writing something that you don't like.

This, Geriatrickid, is a showcase example of Red Democracy! Silence those who don't agree, if necessary with force!

Just like in the good old days under Thaksin!

The Thai version of George Carlin's American Dream should be obvious to all. The Dems have had chances to implement education policies that will serve them well in the future but they never did, so the other obvious point is they continue to have far too many members who want continuation of the status quo. They should also fire their PR/marketing group who seem to have no idea about how to conduct an election.

The dems did implement education reform in the public schools. My 2 kids go to thai public school and i saw it all. The principal of my kids school voted Dems and is disgusted that the parents of the kids that are benefiting from the educational reform voted for thaksin. When thaskin was in office the english teacher at our school could not speak english. Now she can and so can most of the other teachers. The kids have computers in the classrooms and the kids know how to use them. The teachers teach the kids how to figure things out for themselves by interviewing people in the community and researching on the internet. We have free tuition, free books, free lunch and an allowance for uniforms. It is much easier now for kids to get an education than ever before. Of course you guys that are pro thaksin will give him all the credit for the improvements in my kids school and will applaud when all of these improvements are rolled back to keep the kids uneducated.

I don't understand why the Nation has a problem if wealthy successful people show empathy and concern with the poor. Is concern for the poor some sort of character fault? Is it possible that some of the wealthy people are feeling a bit uncomfortable with this display of compassion and understanding? :lol: . Perhaps if the PM designate was running a string of massage parlors and pimping out young women she would have earned the Nation's respect?

How do you reconcile Thaksin's love for the poor with his insistence (and other members of the clan) of not paying taxes that would end up financing programs to support the poor of the nation?

Least we forget, the assets recovered from him in his attempt to evade taxes were 46 billion baht, how many programs to help the poor can you create with that money?

So tell us just how many programmes were created with that money by the Democrats or is that cash sitting safely somewhere waiting for a rainy day.

Refer to wolfmanjack's post #36 for an example.

Ten years later, it's his sister's turn. Some say this is all about getting Thaksin's money back, as well as an amnesty for him and the red-shirt leaders who burned down one of Bangkok's fanciest shopping malls.

Wow, TheNation must have access to some top-secret information that nobody else has. The Abhisit government hasn't been able in over 1 year to get any of the red shirt leaders convicted of burning down anything, yet TheNation says the red shirt leaders (not even their followers, but the leaders themselves) are the ones who burned down CentralWorld.

Video of Nattawut inciting the reds to commit arson shortly before Central World was burnt down:

“ถ้าพวกคุณยึดอำนาจ พวกผมเผาทั่วประเทศ เผาไปเลยพี่น้อง ผมรับผิดชอบเอง แล้วใครจะจับใครจะอะไรมาเอากับผม ถ้าคุณยึดอำนาจ เผา” - If you seize power, we can set the country alight. Burn it my brothers. I'll take responsibility. And if you want to arrest someone arrest me. Take over and burn!

It's the peoples will to stifle commentary that doesn't agree with the bosses plans.

Just as it was before.

On the contrary, it is you that is espousing a contempt for the principles of civil society. If the Nation has committed a civil offense, then surely it is up to the civil courts to judge the matter and decide on the penalty should their be a judgement against the Nation? Are you of the position that an unsubstantiated allegation can be made without any legal consequences? The Nation has made a serious accusation. let it offer proof to back up its claim(s). The most appropriate place to settle a serious civil dispute is in a civil court. That's what the courts are there for.

I suggest you heed the words of your defeated leader former PM Abhisit who states, "Pheu Thai has achieved a simple majority, which is a clear mandate," He also stated that

he wanted fellow Democrats to reflect on the poll defeat in a bid to try to chart a new course. In plain english that means that the old strategy of spreading hateful uncorroborated statements is wrong and that if the Democrats want to advance they need to try something else. How about instead of repeating the old stories and listing all the grievances that you have, that you consider something more constructive?

I am looking foward to the PTP term. I hope to be able to provide whatever support I can to help the PTP advance the lives of the Thai people. Personally, I think the best move is to deal with troublemakers, fifth columnists and instigators through legal means. If falsehoods are uttered, people must be held accountable.

Real world newspapers use multiple corroborating sources before they go to press.

So it is very, very rare that they just make up something and go to print.

But we know from history that Thaksin took 'unflattering true comments' personally and tried many times, most all on the public record, to silence critics, in particular the PB and Nation.

The B. Post got silenced, reporter fired and morally mauled in public, and the editor resigned, and advertisers intimidated to no longer pay of advertising, killing revenue, over a TOTALLY TRUE STORY about cracks in the runways at Suvarnabhumi. This is all fact, we know the Nation would not be bullied, even after the Caravan Of The Poor invaded their offices and held them hostage. But that doesn't mean they will not think twice about printing facts countering Thaksins claims, they will be sure it is properly corroborated. There isa difference between; bad reporting, poor english and purposely printing lies.

I wasn't commenting on The Nations article, but your assuming suing them into submission is a reasonable democratic vision of freedom of speech and thus a good thing. It is not no matter how partisan you wish to be.

I am sure you are looking forward to the PTP term in office, you've more than made it clear long ago. Support whoever you wish, just understand your moral positions are watched and noted by others. We can watch the jackboots get pulled on with trepidation regardless of how many voted one way or another.

Edited by animatic

I'm no fan of Thailand's out of control defamation laws, far from it, but it still beats locking people up in jail for speaking their minds, doesn't it.

Hopefully this will be a new dawn for Thailand's dissidents and political prisoners.

Right Thaksin just sued them for every sou they had, and then embarrassed them for printing the truth.

In Thailand truth is not a defense against embarrassing the Elite with facts of their actions.

Thaksin is no different than other hisos, except for his legend.

And then there are others who just never got to speak their minds,

or others who never dared.

'whybother' timestamp='1309912505' post='4537704'

Just as it was before.

It didn't take long for the geheime staatspolizei to get started!

It never does...

Wow and that for an editorial! Bankrupt them for writing something that you don't like.

This, Geriatrickid, is a showcase example of Red Democracy! Silence those who don't agree, if necessary with force!

No. It it is a law abiding person's response to the uttering of falsehoods. I am sorry if you disagree with the use of the civil court system to address civil disputes in society. I believe that the peaceful resolution of a disagreement is much better than the use of violence. For example, if a neighbour went about claiming that someone was a child molestor, the response of many people in TVF would be to go and punch the crap out of the person making the unfounded claims. That would be wrong. The correct approach is to seek redress through the legal system. Serious allegations of this nature should be resolved in the courts. And if I should hope for an outcome that interferes with repeated acts of spreading unsubstantiated allegations, then that too is acceptable in a civil society.

I have neither argued for s stasi regime nor the use of force, Seems to me that some of you need to take a course on how to live in a civil society.

No. It it is a law abiding person's response to the uttering of falsehoods. I am sorry if you disagree with the use of the civil court system to address civil disputes in society. I believe that the peaceful resolution of a disagreement is much better than the use of violence. For example, if a neighbour went about claiming that someone was a child molestor, the response of many people in TVF would be to go and punch the crap out of the person making the unfounded claims. That would be wrong. The correct approach is to seek redress through the legal system. Serious allegations of this nature should be resolved in the courts. And if I should hope for an outcome that interferes with repeated acts of spreading unsubstantiated allegations, then that too is acceptable in a civil society.

I have neither argued for s stasi regime nor the use of force, Seems to me that some of you need to take a course on how to live in a civil society.

Comparing the claim of calling someone a child molester with a this political Newspaper editorial? Are you serious?

You can do better than that.

The main problem with your argument, besides the obvious over the top hyperbole, is that THERE IS NOT A THING LIBELOUS IN THE ARTICLE.

Sorry dude, but there is nothing that is prosecutable by anything but the most zealous misreading of it. It's not flattering, but there is no reason it should be. So she won, technically that has not bearing on writing a critique of Thaksins time in office. Or are you using the 2001 courts argument that has caused such problems ever since; He's / She's popular so we should give him a pass? By the way, one of the JUDGES from that court publicly confirmed this, so I am not unduly criticizing the court to repeat the judges public comments.

One compromise in sticking to rule of law and more and more it's a slippery slope downward slide that's so very hard to pull out of. That's irony for sure. And now the gloating veers off the moral compass into advocating more ironic double standards.

Edited by animatic

Yay for typing an article without thinking (TheNation, I mean, not you).

Yes. You're quite right. They should be shut down for that, shouldn't they. :ph34r:

only fair dems shut down reds radio stations rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifbah.gif

The real truth is right there for all to see.... The Democrats, did not want to win this election, why do you think they did not try... something is brewing..and a lot of passengers are on this Kamikaze Kruang Bin... I nearly fell off my chair laughing... thank God I am a Farang and I can leave whenever I feel the need.... and I will be joining that A380 with a passenger list of rich Thais....heading for sanctuary....with suitcases of moneys... Hello Los Angeles...Goodbye Hell.................

a lot of my money has already left first class At moment im not following my money but prepared to do so. I think theirs a few years before one needs to panic but writing is on wall Actually I think my money might be wrong It has decided to do it from abroad instead of from here. A dictator is sometimes good for investers. rolleyes.gif

The Thai version of George Carlin's American Dream should be obvious to all. The Dems have had chances to implement education policies that will serve them well in the future but they never did, so the other obvious point is they continue to have far too many members who want continuation of the status quo. They should also fire their PR/marketing group who seem to have no idea about how to conduct an election.

The dems did implement education reform in the public schools. My 2 kids go to thai public school and i saw it all. The principal of my kids school voted Dems and is disgusted that the parents of the kids that are benefiting from the educational reform voted for thaksin. When thaskin was in office the english teacher at our school could not speak english. Now she can and so can most of the other teachers. The kids have computers in the classrooms and the kids know how to use them. The teachers teach the kids how to figure things out for themselves by interviewing people in the community and researching on the internet. We have free tuition, free books, free lunch and an allowance for uniforms. It is much easier now for kids to get an education than ever before. Of course you guys that are pro thaksin will give him all the credit for the improvements in my kids school and will applaud when all of these improvements are rolled back to keep the kids uneducated.

I have kids at school so know exactly what is going on. All the free things are fine but the education system is still lacking in many areas & as I said there are too many in power & striving for power (on both sides) who prefer the status quo as it is much easier to manipulate the people when they do not have the power of reasoning inherited from a faulty education system. The only time I was pro Mr T was when he first came to be PM but my enthusiasm was short lived after he got off the assets concealment case.

Not sure where to put this, but I thought it was rather ironic.

Pheu Thai told Democrat to stop sabotaging its candidates' success in the election

BANGKOK, 7 July 2011 (NNT)-Deputy Leader of Pheu Thai Party Mr. Prodprasob Surasawadee has called on the Democrat Party to stop sabotaging Pheu Thai and to work in politics creatively.

Mr. Prodprasop mentioned the post election comments made by the Democrat Party and said that they ought to work towards reconciliation instead of making negative comments about Pheu Thai.

He added that the Democrat should accept the fact they lost in the election and if they harbored doubts or had no confidence in Pheu Thai then this should be debated in the parliament.

He urged civil servants in the country to continue to work to their full potentials during the transitional period and warned them not to abuse power nor exaggerate the budget allocations as well as favor any particular politicians.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-07-07

---------------------------

:rolleyes:

I think what the Nation is implying is that Sister-the-Clone and Fugitive-the-Brother...and all their political lackeys self-gratification group ...have no concern for any common people at all...except as it benefits their family's bank account. I'd like to be wrong about that...but I think it will soon start to be shown that unfortunately I'm not wrong.

Isn't it about time for another Mega-project? Lots of payuffs and bribes make Mega-projects profitable for those in power.

:blink:

Well, how true, how true, it's like the writing on the wall! It might not be just a publishing house or an editor airing an opinion, let's see if the prophecy of "bankrupting the Nation" comes true... :o