Kiss Restaurant - Across From Mikes Shopping Mall

toenail

It is a decent and convenient landmark. Fried Rice with shrimp is my typical simple lunch along with a watermelon shake. Out of there for 90 baht plus tip. I do love that little bowl of spicy oil. A few tablespoons of that is great. Not really spicy, more salty than anything else. Occasionally I make it down to the Dolphin roundabout one too.

I agree that the counter eatery up at Foodland is OK. Sometimes nice for the AC and when I was staying up on Soi Yume it was obviously closer and just around the corner convenient. I always enjoy watching the short order cooks do their thing. A couple of Woks going, two grills, etc.

Kow Pat Goong, or Fried Rice w/Shrimp, is available at most local restaurants for 40 baht... just sayin' krap. Also, that's not oil dude- it's Nam Plah, or Fish Sauce, with small chilies... enjoy!

B)

Last time I was at the Dolphin roundabout one I sat there for over 30 min: with no service (Not bizzy) When at last a chap came and asked me what I wanted I said in Thai not bad only 30Min: Reply. Grunting want or no want. Guess my reply.

Last time I was at the Dolphin roundabout one I sat there for over 30 min: with no service (Not bizzy) When at last a chap came and asked me what I wanted I said in Thai not bad only 30Min: Reply. Grunting want or no want. Guess my reply.

Good story. When stuff like that happens (I wouldn't wait that long) I just get up and go to them. Freaks them out and sends a message.

i'm a sort of regular at both Kiss's, second rd and siam country rd..... if you leave a half decent tip, staff seem to remember these things and you will never have any problems with service... obviously if you leave a 10 baht tip, don't expect the staff to rush to you table..

Food is ok for the price, more of a weekday meal..

Edited by William Osborne

Good story. When stuff like that happens (I wouldn't wait that long) I just get up and go to them. Freaks them out and sends a message.

Me, too. At any restaurant, if the staff hasn't returned to take our order within 10 minutes or so of our deciding, I will definitely get up from the table, seek out a staff member, and place my order directly (any resistence, and I'm gone in a flash). 30 minutes... never. I'm just not that patient!

B)

i'm a sort of regular at both Kiss's, second rd and siam country rd..... if you leave a half decent tip, staff seem to remember these things and you will never have any problems with service... obviously if you leave a 10 baht tip, don't expect the staff to rush to you table..

Food is ok for the price, more of a weekday meal..

So, if you pay them a big enough tip, they will pretend to be nice, the next time you visit.

Kow Pat Goong, or Fried Rice w/Shrimp, is available at most local restaurants for 40 baht...

B)

Yeah. But then you don't know how old is that goong. Do you know what spoiled shrimp will do to you? I do and will never, ever forget it.

And the cooking oil and wash water have been re-used a hundred times already and there's no aircon--cheaper water and power bills, cheaper food.

True, some iron stomachs have no problems with Thai street food. But I always have. And I've never had the runs after eating at Foodland's Took Lae Dee or at Kiss, so it's worth it for me to eat there if I want a cheap, convenient bite. Why take chances? Now, Foodland is of course by far the better of the two. It's hard to find a seat at lunchtime.

In general, the sit-down restaurants are more sanitary than the street stalls. Over time, you learn which work for you and which don't.

Take the Thai restaurant at the end of one of the Soi Pattaylands at 2nd Rd.--that one never caused me any unwanted after effects; I'd eat there again.

I haven't eaten out in a long while, though, except for the Hilton buffet recently (excellent). A lot of Thai food is too salty, oily, sweet, hot, or overcooked. Half or more of it is just empty calories--sugar and white rice. Of course it tastes good, but it is not a particularly healthy cuisine, as reflected in the stats for diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease among Thais. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2885317/. I know the Thaier-than-thou crowd are now gnashing their teeth. But facts are facts.

So it's really healthier to cook at home if you want to follow a healthy diet, as I certainly do. I haven't been sick in years, my numbers are great (no meds needed), and my weight is ideal. I want to keep things that way as long as possible.

Kow Pat Goong, or Fried Rice w/Shrimp, is available at most local restaurants for 40 baht...

B)

Yeah. But then you don't know how old is that goong. Do you know what spoiled shrimp will do to you? I do and will never, ever forget it.

And the cooking oil and wash water have been re-used a hundred times already and there's no aircon--cheaper water and power bills, cheaper food.

True, some iron stomachs have no problems with Thai street food. But I always have. And I've never had the runs after eating at Foodland's Took Lae Dee or at Kiss, so it's worth it for me to eat there if I want a cheap, convenient bite. Why take chances? Now, Foodland is of course by far the better of the two. It's hard to find a seat at lunchtime.

In general, the sit-down restaurants are more sanitary than the street stalls. Over time, you learn which work for you and which don't.

Take the Thai restaurant at the end of one of the Soi Pattaylands at 2nd Rd.--that one never caused me any unwanted after effects; I'd eat there again.

I haven't eaten out in a long while, though, except for the Hilton buffet recently (excellent). A lot of Thai food is too salty, oily, sweet, hot, or overcooked. Half or more of it is just empty calories--sugar and white rice. Of course it tastes good, but it is not a particularly healthy cuisine, as reflected in the stats for diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease among Thais. http://www.ncbi.nlm....es/PMC2885317/. I know the Thaier-than-thou crowd are now gnashing their teeth. But facts are facts.

So it's really healthier to cook at home if you want to follow a healthy diet, as I certainly do. I haven't been sick in years, my numbers are great (no meds needed), and my weight is ideal. I want to keep things that way as long as possible.

A very wise post. I keep it simple when I do eat steet food - Isaan sausages are a tasty light meal and there is no rice(I am biased towards Isaan food). And I also don't mind silkworms in limited amounts.The other day I was sitting with a friend at Jomtien Market when we noticed that our regular coffee lady had bag of garbage with hundreds of flies swarming around. She didn't seem to notice or care that flies were landing on her pouring cups. We passed on the coffee that day. Cooking at home is best if you are lucky enough to have a kitchen(apartments with kitchen go way up in price though)

Edited by BugJackBaron

A very wise post. I keep it simple when I do eat steet food - Isaan sausages are a tasty light meal and there is no rice(I am biased towards Isaan food). And I also don't mind silkworms in limited amounts.The other day I was sitting with a friend at Jomtien Market when we noticed that our regular coffee lady had bag of garbage with hundreds of flies swarming around. She didn't seem to notice or care that flies were landing on her pouring cups. We passed on the coffee that day. Cooking at home is best if you are lucky enough to have a kitchen(apartments with kitchen go way up in price though)

Right, the dam_n flies! Seen the same many times. It's one reason I only drink beer directly from the bottles. Even so you have to keep the flies away from the top of the bottle, as a fly will crawl right in there.

If you live in a cheap apt w/ no kitchen, you can just buy a hotplate (two burner most convenient) at any dept. store--and perhaps a table to put it on (unless you just insist on squatting in front of it as you cook, out of solidarity with the Thais). Washup in the sink or shower.

Edited by JSixpack

Me, too. At any restaurant, if the staff hasn't returned to take our order within 10 minutes or so of our deciding, I will definitely get up from the table, seek out a staff member, and place my order directly (any resistence, and I'm gone in a flash). 30 minutes... never. I'm just not that patient!

B)

It always strikes me as being the opposite here.

The waitress gives you the menu (only ever 2 no matter how many people are sat at the table) and waits expectingly for you to order immediately without even opening the menu (and most Thais do).

If you open the menu they assume you don't know what you want and walk away immediatly and it's difficult to get them back.