Good Way To Get To Pai From Chiang Mai?

DocHolliday2006

I'd like to get to Pai, and will probably be leaving on the 15th or 16th of this month.

What's a convenient way to get there by road? Shuttle Bus? Where do I go to get one? Book in advance? Specific businesses offering good services would be great.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

for me the best way is:

go to arcade busstation walk to the pai window buy a 1 ticket on the minibus (150 baht) they leave every 2 hours

i think and it takes about 2.5 hours

you can also use aya minibus service they will pick you up at your hotel i think 200 baht

rick

Did this trip last weekend. As mentioned above, though I think they're hourly and the trip is closer to 3 hours. You can take a larger bus for under 100 bht but it takes 4 hours. Am unsure of the frequency of that one.

Did this trip last weekend. As mentioned above, though I think they're hourly and the trip is closer to 3 hours. You can take a larger bus for under 100 bht but it takes 4 hours. Am unsure of the frequency of that one.

Not to mention the security of these vehicles/drivers. :rolleyes:

Make sure you get the mini bus and not mini van or larger bus.As said leaves from the rear of Chiang Mai Bus Arcade.150 baht,seats about 18,leg room is ok unlike the vans.You stop half way and can get a decent cup of coffee.Stops right in the middle of town and an easy walk to a lot of resorts /Guest houses. Good idea to buy your return ticket when you arrive,get the seats you want, they can get busy at times.

One Pointer...

When you arrive in Pai make your return reservation...

We showed up at the Pai Mini Bus office on Sunday morning to take one of the every two hour buses back to Chiang Mai and was told all slots were reserved/sold for that day!...

Luckily there was another bus station just down the street that had two seats left on one of their buses

Edited by sfokevin

Take the express van fromArcade make reservation in advance and choose the 2 front seats next to driver, a bit more but worth the comfort. These drivers are very good making this trip everyday to Mae Hong Song. I have never felt they were unsafe in there driving. As said earlier make the reservation for return upon arrival they have to either leave the seat empty from mae Hong Song or sch. a fare ending in Pai.

Off-road motorcycle track from the bottom of Samoeng and through the mountains. Takes a lot longer but it's great fun and the scenery is much better.

Off-road? Why, there is a road that goes there from Samoeng :)

for me the only option is by motorbike. it doesn't matter what type of motorbike, automatic 110cc scooter or big bike, the road is suitable for all kinds of motorbikes.

beautiful scenery, your own timetable, a lot safer than crazy minivan or busdrivers.

for me the only option is by motorbike. it doesn't matter what type of motorbike, automatic 110cc scooter or big bike, the road is suitable for all kinds of motorbikes.

beautiful scenery, your own timetable, a lot safer than crazy minivan or busdrivers.

Don't know how much safer they might be but anyone contemplating that trip this time of the year needs to be prepared to encounter heavy rain with reduced viz, temps and traction, strong winds with toppling trees and small landslides, in addition to the usual cows and other hazards..

We had some local flooding around the Pai valley today from the heavy rain in the mountains last night and more is forecast.

Don't know how much safer they might be but anyone contemplating that trip this time of the year needs to be prepared to encounter heavy rain with reduced viz, temps and traction, strong winds with toppling trees and small landslides, in addition to the usual cows and other hazards..

We had some local flooding around the Pai valley today from the heavy rain in the mountains last night and more is forecast.

Sounds like fun compaired to the nut case drivers in the city out to get you :whistling:

But you and your tiny motorbike are on the same windy road as those crazy minivns :blink:

I flew last year and on a clear day it is well worth the extra for the experience.

Iain

+1

+3 (Hubby and me) probably one of the most enjoyable commercial airline trips I've ever had.

Edited by NancyL

But you and your tiny motorbike are on the same windy road as those crazy minivns :blink:

that's true, but at least i get the feeling that i'm controlling something and not just sitting in a minivan whose yabahead driver hasn't been sleeping for four days and drives off a cliff.

yes, driving a motorbike is dangerous everywhere, but that is a risk worth taking.

edit. and rain is not a problem if you have the right gear and you know your limits and drive at the right speed. i've done that trip couple of times in hard rain, it just slows you down. the road from chiang mai to pai is in very good condition anyway.

have a nice trip!!

Edited by ikis

that's true, but at least i get the feeling that i'm controlling something and not just sitting in a minivan whose yabahead driver hasn't been sleeping for four days and drives off a cliff.

yes, driving a motorbike is dangerous everywhere, but that is a risk worth taking.

edit. and rain is not a problem if you have the right gear and you know your limits and drive at the right speed. i've done that trip couple of times in hard rain, it just slows you down. the road from chiang mai to pai is in very good condition anyway.

have a nice trip!!

I agree with you, I would much rather go to Pai on a motorcycle rather than a van because in a van, you get thrown around the turns, but on a bike you just 'flow' around the turns :)

Fly.

The last time I went we saw THREE vehicles plunge to what was probably their deaths off the edge off the mountains. That was in addition to the several accidents on the road and a work truck that broke down and jammed the road closed for a few hours.

Fly. Fly. Fly.