A Dj In Thailand Got Arrested For Using Burned Cd'S, What? More Information Please.

I read that a dj was arrested for using Burned CD's, now what is this SERIOUSLY!, all djs around the world use burned cd's with their music on it, you can even BUY your music LEGALLY and then BURN them on BUYED empty CD's, that is completely legal but in Thailand a DJ got arrested for it?]

now that is TRUE nonsense and VERY WRONG, any information about this?

I hope this was a mistake and is not true law because that is very wrong.

Your first mistake is assuming everything in the world is equal! My friend you have alot to learn. This is Thailand and whether you like it or not it's their rules, their country. Whatever you say about this DJ is not relevant at all even if it is true. Copied disks is piracy here and the Thais when they feel like it go after it with a heavy hand. End story.

You either come here an abide by their rules and laws or not come at all. This is and can be a fun country to come to. It offers alot but you need to wise up, this is their house not yours. Plus we just got a new government so we have no idea in what direction they are going.

You had another post about working here. If you are going to criticize their way of doing things you won't be happy. If you are as good as you say you are then some bar may just sponsor you and get you started. Then again they may not. So don't get started on the wrong to begin with. Learn the laws and the rules before commenting. First rule: don't be critical. You'll last longer.

Your first mistake is assuming everything in the world is equal! My friend you have alot to learn. This is Thailand and whether you like it or not it's their rules, their country. Whatever you say about this DJ is not relevant at all even if it is true. Copied disks is piracy here and the Thais when they feel like it go after it with a heavy hand. End story.

You either come here an abide by their rules and laws or not come at all. This is and can be a fun country to come to. It offers alot but you need to wise up, this is their house not yours. Plus we just got a new government so we have no idea in what direction they are going.

You had another post about working here. If you are going to criticize their way of doing things you won't be happy. If you are as good as you say you are then some bar may just sponsor you and get you started. Then again they may not. So don't get started on the wrong to begin with. Learn the laws and the rules before commenting. First rule: don't be critical. You'll last longer.

Thanks, and yes i know that, and thats why i am trying to find out all legal ways before i go there.

But its not Copied CD's its Burned CD's, i am not exxagering when i say that every proffesional dj in the world uses Burned CD's (wich thai may see as copied) but thats neccesary for djs)

A DJ can NOT mix Dance music the same proffesional way with cd albums bought in a store, its a normal fact and way of djing ever since its possible to dj with CD's for dj's to use empty cd's on wich they burn their favorite tracks, Like i said you can LEGALLY buy your music from dj websites, and THEN put them on a empty disc, how is that illegal? if this is true in thailand then thailand is the only country in the whole world where this rule exists.

There are many foreign dj's playing legally in thailand with the same cd's, how are they doing it?

Some in pattaya got arrested, this is very unlogical and fishy

Edited by gdesu1

this is very unlogical and fishy

Correct. To better understand the place, in the past many analogies have been drawn, one of which i find particularly true, is when the general local attitude is compared to those of a 7 year old, with all the benefits and disadvantages this could bring up, just think of a whole nation populated by some very young minds, too young and with no parents in sights to deal with any misbehavings....obviously there are exceptions, however, generally speaking this might help you understanding a bit more about Toyland.

You can in almost all countries buy a cd, copy it to your own blank cd, but only for privat use. If you take that copy cd and play it in public , specially in places where people have paid some money to listen/dance to it.... then its not legal.and its not just the thai law who state that.

You can in almost all countries buy a cd, copy it to your own blank cd, but only for privat use. If you take that copy cd and play it in public , specially in places where people have paid some money to listen/dance to it.... then its not legal.and its not just the thai law who state that.

look that is not what i am saying, i am NOT talking about copied cd's

i BUY my songs from w ww. beatport. com and w ww. dance-tunes. com THEN BURN THEM TO CD, and play them at clubs, all proffesional dj's do this and its a common thing.

How is that illegal? if it was copying i understand but its NOT, the THAI POLICE JUST MISUNDERSTOOD...or the guy realy had copied cd's.

There is a difference between using empty cds for burning your bought muic or using empty cds to copy music to it.

The place of business where the music is played must pay copyright or intellectual property rights fees to the organisation or association that is in charge of collecting these fees. As long as these payments are made correctly it should make no difference whether you play the music yourself on an instrument, play an original CD or a compilation you burned yourself on a CD.

Maestro, you are right.

There are so much unlegal "performence" of music, copy or not, around that owners of songs, music industries have more or less given up the fight.

gdesu1...... can i come to your show, make a recording of what you play... burn it to a cd... take that cd with me and perform as dj somewhere else...??

Hey fellow Dj friend, I don't think you should worry to much, for one you don't know this is a fact even happend.

If it did happen, it would be a mistake by a police and could have been attached to something else.

Myself I play music off of a laptop, I also buy from Beatport. This is 100% legit, but you never know someone might react when they haven't a clue about this artform or something, like look at how a couple of random thaivisa forum users have reacted.

To everyone else, the lad is 100% right, every dj that uses cd's has to burn their own cds, you buy the music online at beatport and you burn it to cd, as they don't even sell real cds, once you own the music you are allowed to to whatever you want with it. So you might want to lay off the lad for stating a fact, every dj that uses cds has to burn their music, thats just the way it is.

So yes my friend, I would agree that you shouldn't bother complaining that things are different in Thailand unless as a visitor and expect some things seem silly, but when you go back home you will see that home many things are silly there too.

ps - to longstay..

Yes longstay the rules are bending, you can basiclly take a beattles song and remix it a bit and share it legally online. Things are changing, recorded music is becoming free, artists now have to play live to make a living and music is getting way better because of it.

They fought that fight in the 80s-90s

What the real dj's (not real but the ones I like the most) are doing is taking beats off someones track, take vocals from another song and taking on the computer and making it their own, some will burn this to cd and play it live.. its just the way it is.

Hey fellow Dj friend, I don't think you should worry to much, for one you don't know this is a fact even happend.

If it did happen, it would be a mistake by a police and could have been attached to something else.

Myself I play music off of a laptop, I also buy from Beatport. This is 100% legit, but you never know someone might react when they haven't a clue about this artform or something, like look at how a couple of random thaivisa forum users have reacted.

To everyone else, the lad is 100% right, every dj that uses cd's has to burn their own cds, you buy the music online at beatport and you burn it to cd, as they don't even sell real cds, once you own the music you are allowed to to whatever you want with it. So you might want to lay off the lad for stating a fact, every dj that uses cds has to burn their music, thats just the way it is.

So yes my friend, I would agree that you shouldn't bother complaining that things are different in Thailand unless as a visitor and expect some things seem silly, but when you go back home you will see that home many things are silly there too.

thank you, for clearing that up : ) thats what i was trying to explain.

there is alot of difference in using those cds to copy music or burn 'legally bought' music wich is meant for playing at a club, but i didnt get the answer that i needed.. but now i did, i quess it was a mistake by the police.

hey i have some important questions to you i will put them in a pm.

Edited by gdesu1

Yes, I don't know much about your topic, as I haven't even performed in thailand but I will someday.

My only advice would be to get you 2 week artist permit, don't risk it.

But all in all they are not unreasonable in thailand except for things like Pot. Most of the time if your a good person and attract good vibes, the thai police are nice, I have even

seen they search a bus I was on and ask everyone for ID that was Thai but for me they just nodded, I am just saying if you aren't doing anything wrong in thailand you won't have a problem unless you are unlucky, you should though take things like the drug laws very serious and stay away from anyone that is even a pot head ..

In Thailand you just have to roll with it, it is the way it is and you are the way you are, being nice and humble and not getting to worked up about anything is the way to go.

There are two aspects to this:

- Beatport does not distinguish between tracks that are licensed for public performance and those which are not. For that reason, your purchase agreement specifically states that their tracks are for personal use only. That covers their butts in the very unlikely case that you get busted for not reporting your commercial usage and not paying license fees. This is a worldwide issue. Deal with that however you want. Obviously, most DJ's just ignore the risk.

- In Thailand, there is a gang of fake (or possibly rogue) cops that travels around looking for victims of their copyright scam. They bust in on some little club that is playing music, shut the place down, and demand payment for the copyrights. They have a couple of standover guys who make it clear they will beat the crap out of the manager until they are paid off. This gang was finally chased out of Chiang Mai but recently made an appearance in Pattaya. That's the incident you heard of, and it had nothing to do with whether the actual CD's were original or copied.

Thailand is a place where there's always scammers looking to take money from anyone who's making money, especially in the twilight world of entertainment venues. That's a reality that you will face in one way or another, particularly if you work here without a permit.

I know bars in Pattaya that have more than 100.000 MP3 song on hard disk (all English / US) no problem if they enter the bar.

On the other hand IF they find just find one Thai CD - even an empty CD box with cover in the bin - you are in big big trouble......

Does it make any sense, no but that is just the way it is!

gdesu1, let's put it this way............a bar is running 'low'.

The owner decides to give it a go with a dj.

If the owner can deal with a good dj he will see his business grow.

The dj is found and after a few days the crowd finds out about the new dj in town.

The "colleagues" of the bar-owner were happy until they found out that the new dj was a hit.

dam_n, someone is successful and must be taken care of.

Since the dj did have a WP (obviously) they had to find another way to shut him up...........and yes.........the musical BIB's know that 99.9% of the dj's burn their own cd's.

One and one is three in this case.

Still interested in becoming a dj in Thailand?

:whistling:

I didn't see that... but if he copied a copyrighted song or video and then used it at a performance without the copyright owners permission ...for profit... that IS illegal.

You do have the right to copy a CD or such that you purchased and keep that copy for your own personal use...but without the permission of the copyright owner you can not legally use it for any pupose that you make a profit from. That includes using YOUR copy at a club or show where YOU make a profit from that function. If you don't believe me, just ask Sony records about using some recording artist they have the copyright rights for...and tell them you want to use it for profit.

They WILL send you a very strong email warning you that you may be sued for doing that...and they have lawyers just for that purpose.

Often if you agree not to do it again they will not prosecute. But legally they can.

It is NOT the Thai government that is spearheading this...it's the copyright holders like Sony in the U.S.

They know you can buy illegal copies of videos and music here in Thailand, and they say it's cutting into their potential profits. So they are pushing it here.

Please note: I didnt say I agree with them... I just said what THEIR position is.

:whistling:

P.S. I don't know about downloading something from someone like Beatpoint and copying it . But I'm pretty sure that if you took a song which Sony had the rights for...and then used a copy of that song for YOUR profit without their permission..they would NOT be happy with you. It wouldn't matter to them that you purchased that copy on-line for your personal use only. The fact that you were using that song for YOUR personal profit is what would make them very unhappy.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

It's quite simple really, only play at places that have licences for playing tracks. As that allows all purchased music to be played at that venue

Get a work permit so you can play

Keep receipts of all music bought online and have the original CD's to hand and you'll be okay.

Most of the BIB going around are rogue they were in Hua Hin 3 years ago and were coppers but were acting out of their juristiction and orders.

They made a mistake and went to a club connected with the gov't and they got lambasted.

We all know their orders came from above anyway and they had to be seen to reprimand them.

Sorry but you're an idiot, saying that like as if the guy hasn't a right to an opinion is wrong, people like you is what's wrong with this world, saying crap like oh TIT, just accept it, so all of them are allowed to break the law, sell countless pirated copies of movies, music etc, but as soon as a falang does it, plus he did say he buys the music online and then burns it, makes sense as that's how professional DJs have to operate, not that I would expect an ignorant, obnoxious, most likely grumpy old stay at home retired expat to understand. Get a life and lay off the guy for giving a well entitled opinion.

Most of the BIB going around are rogue they were in Hua Hin 3 years ago and were coppers but were acting out of their juristiction and orders.

They made a mistake and went to a club connected with the gov't and they got lambasted.

We all know their orders came from above anyway and they had to be seen to reprimand them.

Sucked in to those fkn <deleted>.

Sorry but you're an idiot, saying that like as if the guy hasn't a right to an opinion is wrong, people like you is what's wrong with this world, saying crap like oh TIT, just accept it, so all of them are allowed to break the law, sell countless pirated copies of movies, music etc, but as soon as a falang does it, plus he did say he buys the music online and then burns it, makes sense as that's how professional DJs have to operate, not that I would expect an ignorant, obnoxious, most likely grumpy old stay at home retired expat to understand. Get a life and lay off the guy for giving a well entitled opinion.

Before you call people idiots you should take a long look in a mirror. You might even see a moron in there too. Everyone has a right to an opinion. Everyone has a right to make a business for themselves and have a decent living. There's no argument there. However what you fail to recognize and as does your friend, this is not a "western" or "European" country. He and you seem to keep questioning every thing people here "who know" the facts. As all the knowledgeable posters have said repeatedly, Thailand has a different view on the subject and therefore has different laws. How they decide to enforce those laws is up the them! Not you, not me, not any foreigner. They go after the foreigner only because they can get "MONEY" from them and look the other way for their own kind! But you on your "high horse", all knowing, all important, can't seem to get it. And this is what posters are telling him. You're trying make the rules fit you instead understanding the rules and more importantly abiding by them!. Open your ears and try to listen for once.

As I pointed out to him if he's that good, come over, go to a bar that needs a DJ and see where it goes. I hope he succeeds. But don't sit there, criticize the way Thais do things and argue that the way he's been doing DJ'ing outside of Thailand is the correct and only way. He and you are gravely mistaken. There are several foreign DJ's doing a good business here. But it's real competition between them and the Thai DJ's. As it was pointed out he may get away with cutting his own tracks but he better have receipts and all the originals. No body is discouraging him just asking he adjust his attitude alittle.

As far far as being a grumpy stay at home, in 5 years I've travel from one end of the country to the other, taken over 20,000 pictures, seen more figgin places you only dream about and still manage to walk 10 miles (not Km) a day! So dream on.