What Happens To 7-11 Clerks When They Get Old!?!

Jingthing

I like being served by young, pert little things sawatdee-kha-ing all over the place. It seems the rest of Thailand appreciates pretties in front-of-house roles too. Maybe there's something that? rolleyes.gif

I'm sure dykes like it, and I'm sure gals and gayers appreciate a bit of fresh boy sawatdee khrapping all over the place too. Taken holistically, I really don't see how it conflicts with the best-person-for-the-job concept.

Let us go with the imperatives of creation. jap.gif

Edited by Trembly

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you could expand this to other similar clerks. For example, I saw an ad for Bookazine employment. Like many Thai firms, they have a required age range for applying. So they get the job and work there for years, then they grow OUT of the age range (not long actually). Then what?

If I were a redshirt, so called progressive in the country, I would demand that these social employment issues get raised in Thailand and dealt with. Such as unreasonable hiring age restrictions, not to mention some of the blatantly racist ones saying thing like light skinned only.

Western PC police is not "progressive", it is backwards, 70's ideology.

7/11 is a private business. They decide themselves what age range they demand, what beauty standards their staff should follow. Nothing "racist", just normal common sense.

So what you are saying is that you personally favor basically a hard core, corporate rights rule, laissez faire right wing ideology. That's your option, but don't you dare call progressive politics backwards or dated. Just different (left of you). Currently, in the US we have a somewhat progressive president. Last time I checked, the year now is 2011, not 1975.

Oh dear oh dear, what are you saying JT, you prefer a union rights rule laissez faire left wing ideology, what happened to collective bargaining?

Your progressive president seems somewhat silent on the Boeing issue, strange for one who usually has so much to say.

I also agree with the poster, "Western PC police is not "progressive", it is backwards, 70's ideology.", seems the Americans are just waking up to this fact.

I like eye candy as much as the next guy, but I think ending age discrimination is more import than temporal pleasure. I think Thailand is VERY BACKWARDS in caring about these kinds of things, but I predict as they advance, these kinds of issues will eventually come up, racism, age discrimination, homophobia, etc. Agree to disagree about progressive politics.

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know that it's been 'proven' that the company lets them go because they're older has it?

I know it's a hard job, long shifts, different start/finish times etc.

My nephew's wife (she's about 19) worked there for a while but the shifts got to her in the end so she left, now works in a mobile phone shop.

I don't know what happens to the older folks in the 7-11 franchise, maybe someone with some knowledge of the inner-workings could enlighten us. Is there a policy about the age of staff? I know they can advertise for an age range in the first instance, but does that person then have to leave once the upper limit is reached?

I like eye candy as much as the next guy, but I think ending age discrimination is more import than temporal pleasure. I think Thailand is VERY BACKWARDS in caring about these kinds of things, but I predict as they advance, these kinds of issues will eventually come up, racism, age discrimination, homophobia, etc. Agree to disagree about progressive politics.

As someone who is relatively young I experience age discrimination all the time in employment, but all things considered, even in the bleakest patches I can honestly say that I've never really felt that I suffer from age discrimination.

Even with the best of intentions, anti age/gender discrimination laws as seen in the west are such blunt instruments which are so obtusely wielded that I say you can keep'em.

Come up with something that is sophisticated enough to allow discernment and then you'll be talking.

Edited by Trembly

I like eye candy as much as the next guy, but I think ending age discrimination is more import than temporal pleasure. I think Thailand is VERY BACKWARDS in caring about these kinds of things, but I predict as they advance, these kinds of issues will eventually come up, racism, age discrimination, homophobia, etc.

I hope I never progress to the point where I don't appreciate 'hotties/cuties up front.' I'd say Bill Heinecke agrees... just look at the Swenson's pigtails policy. One step further and it'd be plaid skirts as part of the uniform.

:)

So what you are saying is that you personally favor basically a hard core, corporate rights rule, laissez faire right wing ideology. That's your option, but don't you dare call progressive politics backwards or dated. Just different (left of you). Currently, in the US we have a somewhat progressive president. Last time I checked, the year now is 2011, not 1975.

No, I'm saying that an ideology of thought control - which was a fashion in the West in the 60's and 70's - is very backward when it comes to 2011.

Those of us who have experienced communism are happy that it is over. But some people never learn from past.

Thankfully, even the Red Shirts will not listen to the crap which some farang do-gooders try to teach them.

That's what I love about Thailand. Many things are backward here, but the total lack of political correctness and their refusal to even think one second about it, is progressive and modern.

I don't know that it's been 'proven' that the company lets them go because they're older has it?

I know it's a hard job, long shifts, different start/finish times etc.

My nephew's wife (she's about 19) worked there for a while but the shifts got to her in the end so she left, now works in a mobile phone shop.

I don't know what happens to the older folks in the 7-11 franchise, maybe someone with some knowledge of the inner-workings could enlighten us. Is there a policy about the age of staff? I know they can advertise for an age range in the first instance, but does that person then have to leave once the upper limit is reached?

Once these women become passed their prime, they are sent to work in the beerbars and massage parlours in Chiang Mai.

If you don`t beleve me, go and see for yourself.

This thread has nothing to do with bar girls.

OK I'm suggesting they get married and their daughters take their place. They live out their lives happily back in the village.

Or they move to Vegas and work the bingo halls. Or something more glamorous....take your pick.

I struggle to think of a job more glamourous than 7-11 hostess.

I think Smokie was suggesting that just as the ladies of the night are replaced by their daughters of darkness, the 7-11 clerk's jobs are handed down father or mother to daughter or son as appropriate.

SC

I like being served by young, pert little things sawatdee-kha-ing all over the place. It seems the rest of Thailand appreciates pretties in front-of-house roles too. Maybe there's something that? rolleyes.gif

I'm sure dykes like it, and I'm sure gals and gayers appreciate a bit of fresh boy sawatdee khrapping all over the place too. Taken holistically, I really don't see how it conflicts with the best-person-for-the-job concept.

Let us go with the imperatives of creation. jap.gif

it's youthism gone mad but TIT

It occurred to me that 7-11, Family Mart clerks are for the most part, quite young. Sure I've seen a few more senior, like maybe 40 and perhaps with more responsibility, but I don't recall seeing any long in the tooth clerks. As a class of Thai workers, I think these workers are mostly great. Fast, efficient, sawatdee khrapping all over the place, the worst I have seen from them is allowing line jumpers to get away with it. So I wonder what happens to them after they look too old to fit in there? I mean imagine having 20 years experience doing the same job, living and breathing 7-11, and then what? Are they fired, pushed out, or do they just walk away in shame (to do what?

Easy answer

7-11 staff need high school diploma

few Thai over 30 have, so staff mostly young.

Staff will age now more people finish high school.

1987 Thai high school enrollment 7% (not graduate rate) (must pay school fees) graduate now age 34

1999 high school become free, graduate now age 30

2005 Thai high school enrollment 56% (not graduate rate*) (school free) graduate now age 19

**Please note graduation rate for those who enroll (56%) in 2005. only 23%

I not have graduation rate for 1987

Edited by OlafStapleton

Not sure your nationality but you are wrong. Convenience store clerks in the US are quite often very old (and often immigrants).

You're also wrong about the Thailand clerks. Many work for years, many have only finished I think the 9th grade(or something like that) and I sincerely think MOST of them are NOT going to college! I mean ever.

There is a whole floor at Tecnology Asia in Cm dedicated to training 7-11 clerks (its a college and they also have engineers, hoteliers,tourist guides etc - pre-university 17-19 year olds mostly).

I guess the first half of the story is that the young ones eventually get married or find better jobs - start businesses and so on - like most McDonaulds workers the world over - the other half of the story is that when they are older in the west and reture, they get the same type of jobs for extra pocket money and just to stop the rot - here in Thailand I guess that they can not get the job as there are still so many youngsters vieing for it and most people do not retire until they are dead or too frail to work at all - and then if they need the money they sell flowers or work in a market instead.

It`s all to do with companies preferring how they describe as the upmarket young image.

I have seen evidence in Thailand of staff, especially the women that have worked with the same company for years and once they reach middle age are either given the sack or pressured out the company.

The girlfriend's sister in law at Bangkok had been working as a saleslady for a drug company since she was 22 years old. Then one day last year at the age of 37 her boss called her into the office. He gave her 2 choices; either go and work up country with a 50% cut in salary or leave. She opted to leave.

The bosses logic is that his mostly male customers are more likely to buy from an attractive young lady then from someone who is middle aged. I have also heard of female staff working for big well known companies, including insurance outfits that will oblige a client with sexual favours to obtain a long term contract or an extremely profitable deal. Especially those working on commissions and on a must sell a certain amount or you're out policy.

The boss sees this as an advantage because of course he does not care how the money is made, providing it keeps rolling in.

As for the 7-11 staff, similar applies as far as the young image is concerned. I guarantee that if someone over the age of 35 applied for the job, it would be a; don`t call us, we're call you story.

It`s the same all over Thailand where staff are in direct contact with the customers.

Sad but true.

Ahh I'll have to try that - ask the 7-11 girl what do I get "nundge, nudge, wink, wink" if I buy two bottles of milk a day instead of just the one!

Drug reps 'lat lat' are fun indeed. I don't think I've ever met more people who are a fairly integral part of medicine and the pharmaceutical business who have tramp stamps and behind the ear 'tag' tattoos. It's only natural that they get retired after all that mileage when they are over 30. The very few lucky 'cream of the crop' ones might end up as mia nois to doctors... but more likely end up with orderlies, clerks, and security guards.

Edited by Heng

You must be REALLY bored tonight, JT.

Believe it or not, just like in the states and some other countries, convenience store jobs are suitable for young people largely because they're often living at home, and often still students of some kind or another. Same with coffee shop workers, cinema attendants, etc.- other unskilled jobs often filled by quite young staff.

When they finish that next stage- whether it's finishing a degree, saving up for the next stage in school, etc.- they move on.

Hardly a mystery!

Not sure where you are from but in the US (at least where I am from) most clerks are older and usually from India or Pakistan; also applies to Dunkin Donuts.

But they certainly can not deny you employment based on your age B)

Just a big article in the NY times on how less than 50% of high school and college kids are able to find minimum wage jobs this summer :(

blah, when they get old they can still work at 7/11, I've seen lots of older (not old old, but middle aged, so maybe 30-45 (or probably older since I always think Thai people are younger than what they actually are) working in 7/11). Likewise some of my friends have aunts / mothers / older issters etc who work in 7/11, so it's definitely not limited to younger people. This is admittedly in Isaan though, where a job at the local 7/11 is probably valued a bit more highly than in the big cities.

As from talking to one of my friends who got a job at 7/11, she was working 10-12 hour days, and I think only getting 150 bhat a day as the starting rate. So if she worked every day of the month, she'd be earning less than 5000 bhat a month. Super easy work, but not exactly the type of salary you'd want to raise a family on is it :-P Which is why I think people move on once they can find a better job. Just a nice in between job I think (My friend only had her job there for around 1 1/2 months before she decided to just do online advertising work instead lol)

who are drug reps?

The (usually) young and dressed to 'attract' or 'tempt' who are often seen hauling around carry on type bags in hospitals to pitch to doctors and whoever else can get their meds to market. Business lunches and dinners are the norm. Whatever else happens I suppose is their business as well.

BTW, I mentioned drug reps in response to post #10 on this thread.

Any females that are extremely overweight as well as aged should apply to British airways for a job as a flight attendant.

They certainly have a preferrence for such.

Sorry to disagree with you jing, but this was the best so far.

I think you'll notice that Asian countries often have discriminatory hiring requirements. For example, you never see MEN or OLD people as flight attendants on airplanes. Unlike the politically correct West, you can discriminate against people here which I think is actually fair as long as the people can find work elsewhere.

The good ones are offered a shop to run/franchise, transferred to logistics, be a trainer, becomes area or district managers. The bad ones are phased out through termination or killing fields. I used to work for 7-11 during my teens whilst schooling. The structure was such back then and still is in my home country, not sure if they are the same here but am pretty sure they are the same. Companies like 7-11 prefer to promote from within, similiar to fast food restaurants and such.

Any females that are extremely overweight as well as aged should apply to British airways for a job as a flight attendant.

They certainly have a preferrence for such.

Sorry to disagree with you jing, but this was the best so far.

Yes. The 50% of female passengers are v concerned that BA employes older, unattractive women. They realise that looks are far more important than service quality.

Let's face it, the primary qualification for a flight attendant is that they should appeal to old men....

Who in their right mind would think that providing a decent service is more important than attractiveness?