100 Baht Went Missing From My Hotel Room

kunash

I keep real valuables and cash in the safe. If I leave some pocket change on the table and it disappears, I would probably wouldn't think twice about it other than perhaps to assume that housekeeping thought it was a tip. I certainly wouldn't approach hotel management with it and take the chance of getting some poor hotel housekeeper fired. Even if it was a misunderstanding, she would probably be fired anyway as management would consider her an aggravation and expendable

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep real valuables and cash in the safe. If I leave some pocket change on the table and it disappears, I would probably wouldn't think twice about it other than perhaps to assume that housekeeping thought it was a tip. I certainly wouldn't approach hotel management with it and take the chance of getting some poor hotel housekeeper fired. Even if it was a misunderstanding, she would probably be fired anyway as management would consider her an aggravation and expendable

In my hotel, the chambermaids have been told NOT to touch anything in the room, period.

You leave your coins out its classed as a tip and thats the same in all the hotels in the world ive stayed in..

do you pay a minimum of 10,000b - 15,000b++ a night ( or the equivilant in the local currency)? No? Then we are not talking about the same type of hotel

You leave your coins out its classed as a tip and thats the same in all the hotels in the world ive stayed in..

do you pay a minimum of 10,000b - 15,000b++ a night ( or the equivilant in the local currency)? No? Then we are not talking about the same type of hotel

I doubt there are any in Buriram that cast that much!

If you're travelling with a farmer's daughter, then the maids might assume you are ripe for the picking.

If you can afford to pay 10-15 K Baht A night. How can you be concerned about 100 Baht? :rolleyes:

If you can afford to pay 10-15 K Baht A night. How can you be concerned about 100 Baht? :rolleyes:

no one takes anything that is mine. simple.

No doubt the maid thought it was a tip, or you would not have gotten it back. Hotel workers are no doubt now talking about cheap farang who left tip and then wanted it back. If I were you, I would not order anything from room service, if they have any there.

No doubt the maid thought it was a tip, or you would not have gotten it back. Hotel workers are no doubt now talking about cheap farang who left tip and then wanted it back. If I were you, I would not order anything from room service, if they have any there.

And don't leave your toothbrush in the room when you step out :whistling:

100 baht is nothing but i think its the pricipal that matters and its bad for the hotels reputation. but however i think it should just be recorded and it needs to happen more then once for a pattern to appear only when that happens can they investigate and take action against their staff for gross misconduct

This thread had degenerated into, 'how much I pay for a hotel room a night' and therefore 'what sort of service/theft/tip levels I expect!

OP - in future, please include the star rating of the hotel, how much you pay a night, and how much you tip at the end of the stay in your post. Then many of us who stay in 10,000--- (that's minus, minus minus) hotels, would not bother to respond!

No wonder you're frustrated about 100B in a 10,000B+ night hotel, you've spent much of your (or your companies) money, just by booking/checking in!

Whilst I have no evidence, I assume a chamber-maid/ room cleaner in a 5* hotel earns more than one in a 600-1200B per night hotel.

Whilst both provide clean sheets, a hot shower, air conditioning, a fridge with a couple of bottles of water and a pool, the staff in a 5* are obviously trained not to remove small change from any flat surfaces, whilst those in the lower ranges regard it as a tip!

Comparing apples with oranges?

I usually leave a daily B100 on the pillow just for that reason (thought it was a tip theory). Never had a problem with things I stupidly leave laying around and always get smiling service and any reasonable help that I need. Hotels that I've stayed in a few times even remember my devastatingly handsome face.

As several posters have said. If you leave change money on the table, it would be accepted as a tip for the cleaning crew. :)

Is this the first time you stay in a hotel? :whistling:

As several posters have said. If you leave change money on the table, it would be accepted as a tip for the cleaning crew. :)

Is this the first time you stay in a hotel? :whistling:

/sighhhhhhhh (a long one) no!!! about the 1000th hotel I have stayed in. go figure. AND NO!!! in the hotels i stay in, it is not considered a tip until i leave hotel i have stayed in and have checkd out . The chambermaids are told this in their training.!!!!!!!!! didnt i mention in he OP it was a high end hotel??????????????.

OP - in future, please include the star rating of the hotel, how much you pay a night, and how much you tip at the end of the stay in your post. Then many of us who stay in 10,000--- (that's minus, minus minus) hotels, would not bother to respond!

No wonder you're frustrated about 100B in a 10,000B+ night hotel, you've spent much of your (or your companies) money, just by booking/checking in!

my bussines, so my money, and if you take something that is not yours, in my book it is theft. you come around my house, and make my bed and then take some money that is on my table. you want to know what will happen to you? Best not to ask.

my bussines, so my money, and if you take something that is not yours, in my book it is theft. you come around my house, and make my bed and then take some money that is on my table. you want to know what will happen to you? Best not to ask.

Dear Kunash

I regretfully have to inform you that I am unable to take up your gracious invitation to attend your house (hotel suite), and make your bed(s). I will be too busy counting the coins on my own bedside table, in preparation for the next time I visit a hotel! I wish you all the best, and hope that your life and thinking and monetary policies continue to give you the greatest fulfillment in life, now and forever!

Much respect!

Dear Kunash

I regretfully have to inform you that I am unable to take up your gracious invitation to attend your house (hotel suite), and make your bed(s). I will be too busy counting the coins on my own bedside table, in preparation for the next time I visit a hotel! I wish you all the best, and hope that your life and thinking and monetary policies continue to give you the greatest fulfillment in life, now and forever!

Much respect!

+1 :clap2:

This is a silly thread. If you intend something to be tip you have probably left it in a way that looks like it is a tip. Plenty of times I have left coins (which are going to be tip) on the desk, but they have not been taken, probably because I have left it with the rest of my stuff (receipts, papers, etc.)

However, if you leave coins all alone somewhere which would be natural to assume would be a tipping place in a nice stack after you have counted them then I wouldn't be surprised if they were taken for a tip. And I would most certainly not risk getting somebody, with perhaps three kids and really needing a job, fired for the sake of mistaking 100 baht for tip which she (or he) would be getting anyway.. Almost seems like it was a snare to see if the maid would assume the money was a tip or not..

Sometimes it wouldn't hurt if people used their head before causing problems for other people.

In my resort in Phuket,(4-stars-and most hotels 3 stars upwards) we have a notice on the inside of each room door (very visible to the guest) telling guests not to leave cash or valuables in the room as the property will not be responsible for any loss. Perhaps we will now add in a statement that says any loose change or notes left on table or bed will be regarded as tips for the chambermaids? That will draw the line between theft and assumption and distinguish the cheapo from the generous?

Edited by exterminator

I just leave a trail of 1000 Baht tips behind me as I swan through the hotel, tipping all who may stray into my path.

Amazingly, the coins by the TV are ignored. :rolleyes:

And so you should, when you are being lead by virgins throwing orchid petals at your feet, just to go to reception and say ' Oi, have you seen my 100baht' I could have sworn it was there earlier, wafts back to the room, more petals, more virgins, gets a beer, falls asleep! :whistling:

This is a silly thread. If you intend something to be tip you have probably left it in a way that looks like it is a tip. Plenty of times I have left coins (which are going to be tip) on the desk, but they have not been taken, probably because I have left it with the rest of my stuff (receipts, papers, etc.)

However, if you leave coins all alone somewhere which would be natural to assume would be a tipping place in a nice stack after you have counted them then I wouldn't be surprised if they were taken for a tip. And I would most certainly not risk getting somebody, with perhaps three kids and really needing a job, fired for the sake of mistaking 100 baht for tip which she (or he) would be getting anyway.. Almost seems like it was a snare to see if the maid would assume the money was a tip or not..

Sometimes it wouldn't hurt if people used their head before causing problems for other people.

But you had to reply. :blink:

OK, one night in a hotel in Bangkok Hubby and I created a bit of a mess in the bed. Normally, we leave a 100 baht tip on the pillow when we check out, but we thought we should tip early due to the condition of the bed. I placed the "extra" 100 baht tip on the pillow with a little note in Thai saying "for you, so sorry, thank you". We receive many smiles and wais in the hallways the next day. One of the staffers was even so bold as to ask which of us could write in Thai.

Hubby has the unfortunate practice of leaving his pocket change in a hotel ashtray and we've never had it taken. Of course, I always retrieve the 10 baht coins as soon as he empties his pockets. A couple of 10 baht coins and I'm going places here in Chiang Mai. I figure those are my tip!

Edited by NancyL

OK, one night in a hotel in Bangkok Hubby and I created a bit of a mess in the bed. Normally, we leave a 100 baht tip on the pillow when we check out, but we thought we should tip early due to the condition of the bed. I placed the "extra" 100 baht tip on the pillow with a little note in Thai saying "for you, so sorry, thank you". We receive many smiles and wais in the hallways the next day. One of the staffers was even so bold as to ask which of us could write in Thai.

Hubby has the unfortunate practice of leaving his pocket change in a hotel ashtray and we've never had it taken. Of course, I always retrieve the 10 baht coins as soon as he empties his pockets. A couple of 10 baht coins and I'm going places here in Chiang Mai. I figure those are my tip!

Give us some more details.

I don't know where the idea of "leaving money on the table in a hotel is equivalent to tipping" comes from, but personally I think that the behaviour of the chambermaid is frown upon.I will also equip the act as theft. If I want to give them tips, I would give them in person. So the best way to prevent this is to lock your precious stuffs and not leave it in plain sight.

I don't know where the idea of "leaving money on the table in a hotel is equivalent to tipping" comes from, but personally I think that the behaviour of the chambermaid is frown upon.I will also equip the act as theft. If I want to give them tips, I would give them in person. So the best way to prevent this is to lock your precious stuffs and not leave it in plain sight.

Whom hast frown upon the chambermaid, equip thyselves, for the precious stuffs should be retaind within, not without.

Rule#1: never leave an hotel room without tipping the chambermaid!

Look what happened to DSK, the ex-head of the I.M.F. :o

TVQotD :lol:

For my 100 bahts worth,

scattered change on any surface is simply pocket emptying, an ordered pile beside the TV could reasonably be assumed to be a tip.