Thai Immigration Crackdown On Ed Visas

george

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walen is not affected by this or? Do those Skype students need to attend the classrooms now too?

The issue seems to be that the guy was with the guy not being able to speak Thai at a very basic level. Pla yay geen pla lek. So super easy. If you learn online you do actually attend a class, and many students do not learn online because they need visa, this is one of the way we teach. If there is a problem with this kind of visa it will be because people like this.

The moral of the story is learn some Thai, at least at a basic level. It needs to be evident that you go to school and learn. He did not ask him to translate passages from Shakespeare into Thai, did he?

Alas, poor Somkid, I knew him well. :D:D

Do I need an education visa to study online, or can I use a retirement visa ?

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

"we are essentially all here for similar reasons,".

And what reasons might they be? Beautiful temples, beautiful women, beautiful weather?

An ED visa is issued for just that reason, to give the recipient an opportunity to study Thai in Thailand which usually means attending classes and having some proficiency in the language, not attending beer bars and snorkeling.

I was not cheering but am pleased that immigration has found it fit to clamp down on abuses of the visa.

I am retired here as are many members of this forum and object to your choice of the word "scum". If they choose to clamp down on retirement visa holders who are"abusing" the system I will be glad to cheer.

99% of retirees obey the rules and meet the requirements, so not likely to be too many problems that you wish on us.

Try not to be so angry. :passifier::If you are here on an Ed visa and learning Thai, you should have no problems. Chok dee.

Edited by ratcatcher

About time!

+1

Its about time.

The loosers getting cheated in this Ed-Visa deal have always been the legitimate Thai students wanting an education - but unfortunately choosing an unqualified "School" with poor textbooks etc.. Schools should be learning institutions - not Visa Mills.

All you people who are cheering this are absolute scum, you know that? At least people who use ED visa's are trying to do something to stay here legitimately.

No, they aren't. Hence why a crackdown to see who actually is trying to use the VISA path legitimately is upsetting you and others.

I've been living in Thailand since 1984. It used to be very simple to renew the annual visa based on marriage. Now the process requires quite a few more documents and photos. I think it is because of the many foreigners who find illegal ways to stay in the country. Each new scam makes Immigration add another regulation. Am I against the scams? ... Yes, I am, for this reason.

and why do people make new "scams" perhaps immigration making it harder for no apparent reasons.

foreigners do not get free medical or depend on the state in any way what so ever.

Some of you lot forget that we are essentially all here for similar reasons, it's just that not all of us are lucky enough to have a job or be over a certain age so that we can get the visa we need...

You might laugh now while you have your comfortable retirement visa or whatever it is, but one day they'll clamp down on those as well - then perhaps you'll wish you weren't quite so gleeful about the struggles of the rest of us to stay here. Morons. Shameful

Fully agree with you here - the fact that people are doing this, is only a symptom of a problem.

There are people, wealthy enough to fund a lifestyle WITHOUT working, or at least work over the phone/internet or run their own business and can do so from Thailand (servicing customers in their home countries), whom are under 45, or whatever the Non B retirement visa requirement for age is. Thailand does not understand, that in many western countries having a degree is not automatic - it is actually a huge challenge both financially and academically to graduate. In my country (New Zealand), only 25% of the population have a bachelors degree, 10% have a masters degree, and 4% have a PHd. We cannot buy degrees, or fake test scores unlike certain universities in Thailand have been caught doing, and some of my friends have taken advantage of to come here to NZ on.

I have worked since I was 15 years old, and am in the top 10% of earners in my country - I have no degree. Why? My parents abandoned me at a young age, and it would cost me more to stop working and graduate, than to continue what I am doing until I am 45 and quality for the retirement visa. If it is not 45, I know it is in the Phils.

Just like Thai doctors (another issue), stop attacking the symptoms, understand the cause and fix it. The cause is, you do not offer a long term opportunity for financially well off earners under 45 to remain in Thailand 100% legally more than the tourist visa will allow them to. Fix it?

And exactly how is this any different to most other countries around the world? Just because you or I want to stay somewhere, doesn't mean we should be allowed purely because we want to. Give me a country which just lets ANYONE stay whenever they want for any reason?

Seriously the requirements to keep an ED Visa are 4 hours per week. 4 measly hours. Even that is amazing. Australia, you must be studying FULL TIME, to get an education visa.

I'm happy for the crack down, if your too lazy to go 4 hours per week to a class to get an easy VISA and learn the language, what hope do you have.

And no I"m not retired, under 30, don't have a work permit, but would consider 4 hours of classes per week bugger all to stay here long term (and gaining a better understanding of Thai) and not have to do VISA runs.

6 hours a week of studing language. This a fuc..g joke. If you really want to study thai make that at least 3 hours a day. Everything else doesnt work.

Edited by Gik

while i see the mentality behind it all, i also strongly disagree.

In my personal experience, i have attended a well known school for a full year and found not even 1 teacher was actually a qualified teacher. None of the people in the class were able to converse in Thai and thats after 1 year or learning.

Some guys were in their second year and were attending every class.

So yes there are a number of people who use ED visa just to stay, but there is also a huge number of people who actually want to learn but unable to do so because schools employ unskilled labor.

One of my friends had a similar situation in immigration, but officer demanded he sing Thai national anthem.

Also in my experience, officer spoke Isaan to me rather than Thai, officer spoke very fast and shortened many words. Those so called tests are done in the open with noise coming from all directions making very hard to concentrate.

So i would personally like to see if they do crack down, they also crack down on schools not providing proper education and conduct tests in appropriate environment.

PS. If anyone actually looks at the books at some schools, you may find that the words you learn are rather useless and very possible not to know words like big fish eat small fish.

Sure, it is possible to attend some schools and after one year not even know the Thai alphabet, how amazing could this be?

I know Thai people that have been studying or have studied English for 10 years or more and give the blank look when asked "how's it going" or "how was your day?" :unsure:

My gf's brother recently graduated with a bachelor in english..

Yesterday he said 'Your birthday day after tomorrow'

I asked him is today the 6th?

blank stare

today 6th?

no today, tomorrow. after tomorrow. birthday

But today is the 6th right?

10sec blank..

Yes, and he walks away.

Seriously. Most of the time he has no clue whatsoever when i talk to him about the simplest thing, unless its 'give me the key' or 'take this'

We pay him 6000baht a month though, so he got what he deserve, hes slave labor lol

Edited by seriouseats

Yeah, I realise what they are cheering about, I just wonder why? Do they derive some kind of sick pleasure from this?

I mean seriously, why should they give a ****? I myself am one of these 'abusers' but I don't see why these people are cheering the fact I may have to leave the country. I am not someone who regularly goes out trolling round bars in Pattaya or Nana or wherever - I stay at home with my gf, and I conrtibute a LOT to Thai societ by paying for her education! And I help her parents. My problem is I'm a freelancer, I work online so I can't get any kind of working visa.

Oh, and by the way. I speak Thai quite well already thank you. I certainly don't need to waste my time at these crappy lessons they have at most of the Thai language schools.. Perhaps some of you guys should try attending a class before you go slating those of us who try to avoid them!

I believe they are cheering a ckrack-down of abuse of the ED-visa system, not a crack-down on ED-visas itself.

You admit you are abusing the ED-visa system.

You admit you are working here without a Work Permit.

You wonder why people are ok with Immigration doing a crackdown???

The answer was yes so the officer looked at a nearby fish tank and said in Thai, 'The big fish eat the little fish." The foreigner looked at him without a clue. The officer smiled and picked up a big red stamp and stamped "CANCELLED" on the remaining portion of the current visa and told the fellow he would not again receive an Education visa," Barry reported.

Hahaha - who said they didn't have a sense of humor? :D

Yep the Big fish ate the little fish

I thought the expression was

"Yak yai, lai yak lek"

The big giant chases the little giant, an example of a Thai tongue twister. :D

Mind you after 7 years he ought to have understood the fishy version,

for a fishy visa application.

I know Thai people that have been studying or have studied English for 10 years or more and give the blank look when asked "how's it going" or "how was your day?" :unsure:

Thats likely for 2 reasons. 1. The quality of the teachers. Lots of english teachers teaching English aren't qualified teachers (just having any degree does not make you suitable to be a teacher, generally).

2. How's it going, is slang and not 'proper text book english'. Second is though, so they should understand that, but then I've heard different things on Younger Thai peoples studying ethics.

I think this is a great opportunity for me to plug my 'Rapid' course... :lol:

Okay, so you don't attend many classes and/or you're not learning much Thai. But at least you should be able to demonstrate to the Immigration Officer that you are making progress...!

So here's a relatively painless way of becoming competent in Thai. Start by learning to read. At least you will gradually gain a basic vocabulary from the 'Living Dictionary' that surrounds you.

yaa.jpg

Then follow an easy, clear book called Everyday Thai for Beginners. (I've created flashcards that will help you to acquire the 1200-word vocabulary easily 10 minutes a day over 4 months.)

See my post advertising my Read Thai in 16 Hours workshop in Chiang Mai and/or visit my website www.learnthaionline.com. If you can't make the workshop then you can follow the course online (for cheaper). There will be other courses in other towns later this year.

baat2.jpg

I don't offer ED Visas, but my system can complement a conventional 'visa-based' course, allowing you to actually learn some Thai without having to attend conventional classes often or study hard.

:whistling:

This does not affect me, but i did study Thai Language for One Year, and I remember my teacher telling me that, to learn a new Language can sometimes take up to 15 Years especialy if it is not ABC..

There was a Guy in my class, was also studying for a good few months, he had no idea whatsoever, it is like it went in one ear and out of the other straight away.

Some people find it easy to learn and some others find it extremely difficult.

Whilst I agree that some students do not attend school, i feel sorry for the slow learners who get tested at immigration and do attend class and may fail, i feel sorry for them, it must be very worrying for them.

He did not ask him to translate passages from Shakespeare into Thai, did he?

I was around some Thais lately who were watching a movie on cable TV that happened to be the modern-day, Leonardo Di Caprio version of "Romeo and Juliet."

I asked, did anyone know or recognize the name "Shakespeare." Answers: Not a clue...

All schools in pattaya are just visa factories. I have not met anyone from pattaya schools who can speak thai. The guys who can either studied by themselfs or went to schools like UTL in bangkok.

Edited by Gik

It's very simple people. If you are here on an ED Visa, going to class, taking your tests, and actually studying, then you have nothing to worry about. This article is talking about cracking down on those who abuse the system, as well as the school which not only allow it, but participate in it, which is a good thing.

I compare it to the recent article in regards to Immigration now requiring actual proof of income for those with a Retirement Visa, stating that simply getting a notarized "Income Verification" form from some embassies (U.S. for example) which never verify anything, won't work any longer. I know some people who are hoping like crazy this won't actually happen, as they don't have the required income to actually qualify, and have been living here by whatever means, some of them which are legally questionable.

If you're legit, you have no problem. If your not, then maybe you do.

Remnants of Apisit trying to linger around and change immigration policies as long as they possibly can. They're just mad that the lang schools are getting the money and not the immigration dept. Costs for getting visas have gone up tremendously over the past 5 years or so, and immigration is more corrupt than ever. laugh.gif

Walen is not affected by this or? Do those Skype students need to attend the classrooms now too?

The issue seems to be that the guy was with the guy not being able to speak Thai at a very basic level. Pla yay geen pla lek. So super easy. If you learn online you do actually attend a class, and many students do not learn online because they need visa, this is one of the way we teach. If there is a problem with this kind of visa it will be because people like this.

The moral of the story is learn some Thai, at least at a basic level. It needs to be evident that you go to school and learn. He did not ask him to translate passages from Shakespeare into Thai, did he?

Heck try translating Shakespeare into modern English is hard enough - I don't think they would get it in Thailand anyway - Thai's don't think quite the same way and would lose the intricacy.

Yeah, I realise what they are cheering about, I just wonder why? Do they derive some kind of sick pleasure from this?

I mean seriously, why should they give a ****? I myself am one of these 'abusers' but I don't see why these people are cheering the fact I may have to leave the country. I am not someone who regularly goes out trolling round bars in Pattaya or Nana or wherever - I stay at home with my gf, and I conrtibute a LOT to Thai societ by paying for her education! And I help her parents. My problem is I'm a freelancer, I work online so I can't get any kind of working visa.

Oh, and by the way. I speak Thai quite well already thank you. I certainly don't need to waste my time at these crappy lessons they have at most of the Thai language schools.. Perhaps some of you guys should try attending a class before you go slating those of us who try to avoid them!

I believe they are cheering a ckrack-down of abuse of the ED-visa system, not a crack-down on ED-visas itself.

So you don't only abuse the visa system, you work without a workpermit too.

I think this is a great opportunity for me to plug my 'Rapid' course... :lol:

Okay, so you don't attend many classes and/or you're not learning much Thai. But at least you should be able to demonstrate to the Immigration Officer that you are making progress...!

So here's a relatively painless way of becoming competent in Thai. Start by learning to read. At least you will gradually gain a basic vocabulary from the 'Living Dictionary' that surrounds you.

yaa.jpg

Then follow an easy, clear book called Everyday Thai for Beginners. (I've created flashcards that will help you to acquire the 1200-word vocabulary easily 10 minutes a day over 4 months.)

See my post advertising my Read Thai in 16 Hours workshop in Chiang Mai and/or visit my website www.learnthaionline.com. If you can't make the workshop then you can follow the course online (for cheaper). There will be other courses in other towns later this year.

baat2.jpg

I don't offer ED Visas, but my system can complement a conventional 'visa-based' course, allowing you to actually learn some Thai without having to attend conventional classes often or study hard.

:whistling:

My lord, I think I just developed a curiosity of learning to read Thai.

That was very nice flashcards. :)