Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but I have traveled to LOS last year. Bangkok and Koh Samed. I am interested in working in Asia as a Scuba Instructor when I retire (around 5 years from now). Are these Scuba Interns legite, and do people actually land jobs upon completion. I am a certified open water diver with only 20 dives. Even after completing the internship, it seems like there would be plenty of other more expierenxed divers and a highly sought after job.

http://www.learn-in-asia.com/relocate_live...work_abroad.htm

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but I have traveled to LOS last year. Bangkok and Koh Samed. I am interested in working in Asia as a Scuba Instructor when I retire (around 5 years from now). Are these Scuba Interns legite, and do people actually land jobs upon completion. I am a certified open water diver with only 20 dives. Even after completing the internship, it seems like there would be plenty of other more expierenxed divers and a highly sought after job.

hello mate i was interested in doing this scuba course last year..sadly didnt get there due to a few problems here in uk and things didnt go as planned

i was told by a few people that finding jobs can be very hard . i was also told that ther are jobs on the islands but it is seasonal..

also heard that money is good and others said dont earn enough

try speaking to a bloke called peter from pjscuba thnk he has something to do with learn in asia

he was quite helpful

let me know if u go 4 this scuba intership

cheers

I think once your qualified you can expect about 25k a month + tips in the high season, nothing in the low season, thats what the divers in Phuket told me. Also there are a lot of people with the same idea, so work can be hard to come by, best if speak a european language other than english, (with english as well of course)

I had a Japanese female dive instructor in Phi Phi once, she was so sexy, guess that would help with tips :o

Edited by phuketsiam

I think once your qualified you can expect about 25k a month + tips in the high season, nothing in the low season, thats what the divers in Phuket told me. Also there are a lot of people with the same idea, so work can be hard to come by, best if speak a european language other than english, (with english as well of course)

I had a Japanese female dive instructor in Phi Phi once, she was so sexy, guess that would help with tips :o

Hi I am an ex commercial diver, I have a few friends who work in the sport diving industry in Ko Lipe, Adamg etc. If I were you I wouldnt expect to make any money(they both run dive companies)!! they are just scraping by. Its ilegal for you to do this without a work permit! I am not trying to discourage you, I am just truying to warn you that if you go down that road unless you are very dedicated you will waist your time. If you are very dedicated you will likely succeed in whatever you do. Why would someone use you when they can use a Thai perfectly legally and pay peanuts. There are lots of Thais that speak English. I am trying to think of something positive to say but I am not comming up with anything except good luck!!!

what I heared from Pattaya:

salary arround 55000-75000 Baht (somewhere 55 is the minimum for the work permit).

I heared if working without workpermit the other competiors are telling the immigration about it.

About the salary I have my doubts if it is true, but I got told so.

In Pattaya the company mermaid is the biggest and they made a group (I call it mafia) with nearly all the companies. So both salaries and costs as customer are fixed.

I would just check arround on the internet and drop them all an email. Paataya is not very nice for diving so consider also other destinations.

Hello all,

hi wannascuba and welcome to the forum

i was offered the chance of working on a dive boat to incorporate all of the courses from advanced open water upto divemaster level - upon which i would have a job leading dives... accomodation part of the deal. this was on Ko Chang. due to some personal business that needed seeing to back in UK i had to decline but was gutted... im sure it wouldnt have been a bed of roses anyway but never-the-less i great opportunity to do some diving.

money wise i dont think you'll earn much and its quite competetive - dive operators are more likely to take on people that are bi-lingual (no bi jokes please).

from chatting to divemasters that ive dived with in thailand, most do seem to see it as a lifestyle thing as opposed to actually earning a wage - if you get what i mean.

either way all the best with it - i wouldnt mind doing the same thing myself one day

Thanks for all the replies. I didnt count on making much of a salary as I plan on being retired, with a small pension plus my investments. I will do much more research on this before making a decision. Thanks again for all the input.

Edited by wannascuba