Top Academics Oppose Pheu Thai Computer Tablets Plan

webfact

One of the major problems with Thai education is that the teaching methods and content are decades behind the "real life" the kids live in today.

During my time teaching English in schools where 95% of students had no desire, and no need to learn/use English ever, I quickly realised the need for me to create the learning environment where the kids wanted to learn.

I had classes from P1 to P6 and a total of approxomately 800 students per week, and they had had native English speaking teachers for about 3 years prior to my taking over, with absolutly zero results. When I took over the position I was having the same zero results. It was a total waste of time and money teaching to kids that refused to learn. I realised that the only way i could acieve any results at all (and keep my job) was to change the teaching method to make the students WANT to learn. So......what did the kids enjoy doing............after school they all headed for the net shop and played com games, so it was obvious what I needed to do.

I threw out all the textbooks etc and instead set up my laptop and a large screen LED TV and sound system as my teaching tools. I changed rooms every hour so it had to be easily set up and transportable

I used cartoons and computer games and karaoki vids as my teaching material. I found an immediate 100% turnaround in my students attention and attitude. The worst trouble makers I always targeted for managing the games etc for the students. Result....they felt wanted and became leaders instead of laggards. Of course, ALL the cartoons, games, and songs were in English. Within a year virtually ALL of my students could use very basic English. After 2 years it was possible to have a very basic conversation with most of the students.

The same methods can be used for science and even maths, there is a large range of software available if you are prepared to look. With schools getting Wi Fi it becomes even easier. ( not available when I was teaching)

So to all the knockers of using technology in teaching, need get their heads out of the sand and provide "todays" technology for kids to learn. I can clearly remember when pocket calculators first became available (yes I am that old now) and we were not allowed to use them at school. Nowdays no one would contemplate NOT using them. Sure it takes away the basic mental skill of maths, but show me where that skill is used or required now? If you cant use a computer you cant get a job. Even in basic hand skills manufacturing , technology has taken over, and the skills to use that technology is a basic requirement for employment.

So dont knock it...get behind the push to tech teaching,

BUT, the key is...... it does need the relevant software AND teacher training (which is also decades behind) to make it work.

Its all about having FUN and ENJOYMENT.

Good post, positive attitude from one who seems to care about results.

Changed my opinion from previous post I have made on the subject.

This poster not only knows how to get attention, he seems to be wise enough not to dismiss the difficult child (student) but to use them to everyone’s benefit, not least their own. Positive action gets positive results, congratulations

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in what software these tablets will be operating on? MS windows i'd imagine as it's the only software the teachers will understand or have used in the past. Doesn't a single license cost about 3000 baht. You can get group (school wide) licenses but they I'd imagine they are very expensive, Or will we see government sponsored softeware piracy!! Knock off tablets with knock off windows. And Thailand is trying to get itself removed from the US watchlist isn't it??

Ultimately the government should be responsible for what goes on their as its their project.

Tablets are little different from computers and are more likely to come with the apple or android software that increasing numbers of people use on their mobile phones and tablets already. It will be more about what apps are available, and get developed and actually using these devices is probably easier than using a desktop or laptop computer. Another thing is that just making kids au fait with handling and using modern technology is a good thing in itself as tablet style technology and what develops from it is going to be part of many workplaces in the future as well as an important part of peoples social life

One of the major problems with Thai education is that the teaching methods and content are decades behind the "real life" the kids live in today.

During my time teaching English in schools where 95% of students had no desire, and no need to learn/use English ever, I quickly realised the need for me to create the learning environment where the kids wanted to learn.

I had classes from P1 to P6 and a total of approxomately 800 students per week, and they had had native English speaking teachers for about 3 years prior to my taking over, with absolutly zero results. When I took over the position I was having the same zero results. It was a total waste of time and money teaching to kids that refused to learn. I realised that the only way i could acieve any results at all (and keep my job) was to change the teaching method to make the students WANT to learn. So......what did the kids enjoy doing............after school they all headed for the net shop and played com games, so it was obvious what I needed to do.

I threw out all the textbooks etc and instead set up my laptop and a large screen LED TV and sound system as my teaching tools. I changed rooms every hour so it had to be easily set up and transportable

I used cartoons and computer games and karaoki vids as my teaching material. I found an immediate 100% turnaround in my students attention and attitude. The worst trouble makers I always targeted for managing the games etc for the students. Result....they felt wanted and became leaders instead of laggards. Of course, ALL the cartoons, games, and songs were in English. Within a year virtually ALL of my students could use very basic English. After 2 years it was possible to have a very basic conversation with most of the students.

The same methods can be used for science and even maths, there is a large range of software available if you are prepared to look. With schools getting Wi Fi it becomes even easier. ( not available when I was teaching)

So to all the knockers of using technology in teaching, need get their heads out of the sand and provide "todays" technology for kids to learn. I can clearly remember when pocket calculators first became available (yes I am that old now) and we were not allowed to use them at school. Nowdays no one would contemplate NOT using them. Sure it takes away the basic mental skill of maths, but show me where that skill is used or required now? If you cant use a computer you cant get a job. Even in basic hand skills manufacturing , technology has taken over, and the skills to use that technology is a basic requirement for employment.

BUT, the key is...... it does need the relevant software AND teacher training (which is also decades behind) to make it work.

Yes, this sounds like a real way to do it.

Forget the rules of old, that have failed, do what works, do what the KIDS can understand, what gets the job done,. Not what meets an arcane set of aged rules likely made by someone who never successfully got a large class to learn anything (sadly typical), explaining why they be came an administrator instead.

The trick is to have computers that have no way for the students to input their own virus laded programs. The goal is to have the proper software for teaching. Software could be updated and/or added through a port that will only work for that purpose.

If all this comes into fruition, MBK will make a fortune cracking students computers...

I'm interested in what software these tablets will be operating on? MS windows i'd imagine as it's the only software the teachers will understand or have used in the past. Doesn't a single license cost about 3000 baht. You can get group (school wide) licenses but they I'd imagine they are very expensive, Or will we see government sponsored softeware piracy!! Knock off tablets with knock off windows. And Thailand is trying to get itself removed from the US watchlist isn't it??

Ultimately the government should be responsible for what goes on their as its their project.

Tablets are little different from computers and are more likely to come with the apple or android software that increasing numbers of people use on their mobile phones and tablets already. It will be more about what apps are available, and get developed and actually using these devices is probably easier than using a desktop or laptop computer. Another thing is that just making kids au fait with handling and using modern technology is a good thing in itself as tablet style technology and what develops from it is going to be part of many workplaces in the future as well as an important part of peoples social life

Next point is...

how many apps for iPad or Android are learning tools AND in Thai????

Who's going to pay for development or migration of apps in Thai to these platforms. Or does PTP plan to implement such great, working English or other language skills in kids that the existing apps are good.

Sp far I haven't even seen a Thai to any language translator app for any pad, let alone a comprehensive suite of learning tools.

The iPad can type in Thai on the word processor, but that's all I know of.

Edited by animatic

The trick is to have computers that have no way for the students to input their own virus laded programs. The goal is to have the proper software for teaching. Software could be updated and/or added through a port that will only work for that purpose.

If all this comes into fruition, MBK will make a fortune cracking students computers...

If it has WiFi or SIM card access, there will be no stopping them.

WiFi will be needed to print homework in class at the very least.

Of course how does one printer with WiFi deal with 70 kids with iPads wanting to print-out a file as class starts.... So Somchai, where is your homework? It's in the printer que teacher?

iPad has some constraints to random app installation,

but not that much, that the hackers can no doubts set up download schemes.

Edited by animatic

Next point is...

Who's going to pay for development or migration of apps in Thai to these platforms. Or does PTP plan to implement such great, working English or other language skills in kids that the existing apps are good.

Sp far I haven't even seen a Thai to any language translator app for any pad, let alone a comprehensive suite of learning tools.

I mentioned before the government should reach out to students in their higher learning facilities to develop these programs. Making a contest of such.

Next point is...

I mentioned before the government should reach out to students in their higher learning facilities to develop these programs. Making a contest of such.

Jeez I must be way behind the curve on this. I thought tablets came with Windows!!! and I'm only 46. Imagine the look of horror on a middle aged Thai teacher when she is requested to explain what Apps her lesson plans will incorporate !! Or if her lesson is android friendly !! When i was a teacher 5 years ago, the school i worked at got it's first projector and was still trying to figure out how to work it when I left 6 months later.

Having a pool of computers would be a better option, then the students sign for one when they need it and return it at the end of the day, then all the stuff they downloaded during the day would be wiped by a technician.

Yes, that would be better, but that pledge wouldn't be a vote winner would it. About the same effect as promising every class gets a new set of crayons.

It would be a better approach to lock them up at the school each day, but I think the way they marketed this "promise" was that each child will have their own tablet PC. The electoral campaign posters said "One tablet PC per child". Was there any fine print (I didn't look closely). I think Thais are accustomed to getting cheated, so they may not protest against being deceived about this in particular (unless someone's going to fund a big protest, and it's not going to be Thaksin).

Having a pool of tablet PCs would have its own risks, such as security. If each is worth 5K THB, 20 of them would be worth 100K THB, which is a fortune to most Thai people (e.g. an annual salary). If they are all to be locked away each day, the portability would no longer be required, so having normal desktop computers would be better as they could be shared amongst students from many different levels, are less likely to be stolen, and are easy and cheap to maintain and repair.

There is an abundance of educational software that run on standard operating systems (e.g. Windows XP or 7), whereas Tablet PC operating systems are different and would not be able to run most of the educational software out there. Tablet PCs are still very much a fashion gadget (which is why Pheu Thai used them - to get votes).

Edited by hyperdimension

Are you a software developer? It takes a lot of time and effort to develop good bug-free software, especially if it is to be used by many millions of people. It could be done, but there are a number of different stages that would need to be worked though.

Edited by hyperdimension

As long as the focus of the Thai educaional system is on "how" and not on "why", as long as questions from students are not wanted and as long as the customs of "krieng jai" not disappears they can throw billions and billions at the schools, nothing will improve.

The article mentions "magnetic Blackboards". This is probably a bad translation. They probably mean interactive or electronic whiteboards, which are now commonly used in schools throughout the developed world:

However, I still stand by my assertion that tablets for P1 students is not the way to introduce technology into the classroom. The average Thai class has 40+ students. Until they train and hire enough teachers to bring the class sizes down to reasonable levels, the tablets would just be a distraction, not an effective learning tool.

If they had 15 or so students per class, the teachers could supervise tablet use effectively, however, given the current situation, interactive whiteboards would be far more useful.

My school has what they call 'smart boards', which are basically a big tablet PC with wands to manipulate things. With the right software packages and development tools, teachers get an awful lot out of our smartboards and ti really adds interactivity to the class and lessons. But teachers require quite a bit of training in them, and a class of 60 students crammed together being force fed multiple choice quizzes all the time will not benefit from them.

Maybe a bit out of Thailand's league, but here's a two and a half minute report on what one Singapore school has found.

I attended a presentation by them in May and they're doing exciting things with i-Pad in English, Physics and Music.

Surely, anything done in Thailand needs feasibility studies, pilot projects, etc. Unless they think only a big scatter-gun approach is likely to produce results, or at least data in a short time-frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzYI3cWPueM

A bit out of Thailand's league, perhaps, but here's a two and a half minute report on a Singapore school's i-Pad project.

The news story was too short as it did not cover exactly how the school has incorporated the iPad into their curriculum or how the iPads have replaced books. It seems that all the students have done is fiddle around with them.

Edited by hyperdimension

<br />This should create a great opportunity for those that really need a new tablet or notebook.There will 1000's available at numerous pawnshops throughout Thailand at a much reduced price.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If this is an example of the standard of your future postings welcome - and keep please keep on typing. After reading the OP I descended into a trough of despair but your prescient comment brought back a knowing smile.

IMO what is needed is blackboards(or whiteboards for the racially sensitive), writing materials and dedicated teachers that know more now than I did when I was about 11 years old.

A bit out of Thailand's league, perhaps, but here's a two and a half minute report on a Singapore school's i-Pad project.

The news story was too short as it did not cover exactly how the school has incorporated the iPad into their curriculum or how the iPads have replaced books. It seems that all the students have done is fiddle around with them.

Yes, you're right. It is too short.

There's a bit more here. http://ictforeducators.com/2011/05/ipad-implementation-at-nanyang-girls.html

There's a few reports on the net. The girls don't just play around. :)

What appears to be evident is that neither side does not appear to have a "total approach" plan for getting the Thai school system out of the quandary it is in.

What research did the party proposing the tablets do to come up with this scheme? What have the 'Academics" done in the past, or proposed that has had a positive outcome? I have observed that many times, the reluctance to implement new/innovative ideas/procedures is due to the total inadequacy/ignorance of those opposing same.

Both groups appear to be following the old 'monkey see monkey do' approach. Hell, the incoming government is still trying to agree on policy while looking over their shoulder to see what they have been caught at. The other side is on the downhill slope of their tenure, with little prospect of getting back to the trough.

It is expected that Academics would oppose this plan. How else can they continue spewing out garbage when students can now google the more information from the Internet. This only means that Academics would have to work HARDER - which of course they do not want to do.

I don't doubt there is good value in what you share, but as long as it doesn't become mostly a passive activity (just watching videos and cartoons).

In China many schools use another approach; teacher gives a short lesson to explain the next function of English and quickly teaches some new vocabulary etc. Then there is whole group verbal practice; whole group of students say the question together perhaps 20 times e.g. 'Where do you come from?" Then the whole say, together the answer " I come from France." or whatever.

Then the class divides into two groups and they practice backwards and forwards maybe 10 times, then it splits further and eventually splits into couples. Within 10 or 15 minutes every student has verbalized the question and the answer maybe 40 or 50 times. It tends to stick pretty well and quickly and it's fun. And this approach gets over the hurdle of one student at a time finding the courage to open their mouth and say something, which is also very very time consuming.

Not much need for tablets PCs.

No doubt short purpose developed videos and cartooons can be good teaching aids, in the clasrrom but they should never be more than teaching aids.

Edited by scorecard

This thread reminds me of a debate about 10-15 years ago about GPS's.

Most said that they'll never amount to a reliable tool because they are limited by the batteries.

I laughed at them and I laugh at the naysayers now.

Computers will take over for teachers sooner or later.

Might as well get it started.

Tablets for all open up something else in education. People can be taught how to access information for themselves rather than taught the information. However, that removes control from the academic institutions. They can also do it at any time whether in school or not and whether controlled or not. If the wi-fi, 3g or whatever is extended to villages as well as all schools it is going to be quite revolutionary in what people will learn. Apart from being populist it will also limit the reduce the control on what people think that the bureaucracy can exert. Im sure PTP are well aware of this

Good job, although sorry to appear negative but the reality is that since you left the school, many of your ex-students will have returned to a state of slumber and lost the English skills which you so diligently taught them. My point is that it needs to be a school-wide initiative, with all teachers being aware of how to use technology in the classrooms. Herein lies the problem; middle aged Thai teachers who've been at the school for 20 or 30 years and have absolutely no intention of learning new skills, least of all how to incorporate tablet computers into their lessons. This is presuming that the computers actually materialize (loaded with appropriate software, working), which is in itself a big presumption.

Like I said before, this was just an idea plucked out of thin air to help win the election, and it served it's purpose.

However, well done for not 'cruising it' as many do :)

Visions. While i agree with a lot of what you said.. you can not be serious about this statement surely.

" No one adds or subtracts or any other maths in their head."

Maybe they don't but they should be ABLE to have this basic ability. basic arithmetic is used every day. shopping etc.

And i believe Thailand is just not ready for this yet and it's a waste of money which could be used more efficiently elsewhere in the education system.

There aren't enough details about this idea to jump to any conclusions.

Still, even something on such a large scale operation as this is difficult at best to moderate and keep inventory in the more developed parts of the world.

It could work, though... if,

Good job, although sorry to appear negative but the reality is that since you left the school, many of your ex-students will have returned to a state of slumber and lost the English skills which you so diligently taught them. My point is that it needs to be a school-wide initiative, with all teachers being aware of how to use technology in the classrooms. Herein lies the problem; middle aged Thai teachers who've been at the school for 20 or 30 years and have absolutely no intention of learning new skills, least of all how to incorporate tablet computers into their lessons. This is presuming that the computers actually materialize (loaded with appropriate software, working), which is in itself a big presumption.

Like I said before, this was just an idea plucked out of thin air to help win the election, and it served it's purpose.

However, well done for not 'cruising it' as many do :)

It doesn’t appear negative it is negative, the poster noted lack of interest and he made it his goal to create interest. Also when most would dismiss the disrupted student, he had the insight to see that everyone has something to offer, you just have to look for it, which is exactly what he did and it worked

Positive actions positive results, negative thinking, no result at all

I wouldn't rush to open a pawn shop if I were you. Any tablets or notebooks they buy for students will be the cheepest of the cheap Chinese knockoffs that can be found. Lifespan less then 2 months if used with care.

You mean they aren't giving out iPads? :(

It doesn't appear negative it is negative, the poster noted lack of interest and he made it his goal to create interest. Also when most would dismiss the disrupted student, he had the insight to see that everyone has something to offer, you just have to look for it, which is exactly what he did and it worked

But I think the point most people are making is, Yes, computers could help students, but at the moment the skills of most of the teachers, and the quality of the system as a whole, is not conducive to this plan being successful.

I commend 'visions' on his success, and I am sure he would make use of tablets for students. But most teachers are not proactive enough to teach now. How will they cope with tablet computers being added to the mix?

It doesn't appear negative it is negative, the poster noted lack of interest and he made it his goal to create interest. Also when most would dismiss the disrupted student, he had the insight to see that everyone has something to offer, you just have to look for it, which is exactly what he did and it worked

But I think the point most people are making is, Yes, computers could help students, but at the moment the skills of most of the teachers, and the quality of the system as a whole, is not conducive to this plan being successful.

I commend 'visions' on his success, and I am sure he would make use of tablets for students. But most teachers are not proactive enough to teach now. How will they cope with tablet computers being added to the mix?

One simple thing the teachers can do is teach students how to do a search. Then students can find out anything they want at any time they like and from a variety of sources. Tabs dont have to be used all the time in every class. Of course there are reasons why reactionaries would not want students accesing information other than what is taught in school.