Calling The Police, Ambulance, Etc.

VegasTim

Hi All!

I've been living in Thailand for the last year or so, and just realized that I really don't know how to call the police, ambulance, fire department, etc., in the event that an emergency should arise. Hopefully, I won't ever need to use it, but it seems wise to be prepared just in case. What are the phone numbers? Do they have English speaking operators? I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I only have a cell phone (no land line).

Thanks for your help!

Put the numbers in your phone.

The other thought that you might consider is carrying a card with your Thai "handler's" contact information in case you are involved in an accident.

For roadside events the road number and the nearest post marker number is used when no village is nearby.

Come here = Ma thi nee.

Although making the call yourself then handing the phone to a native speaker is often better.

I have had to have an ambulance called for me. My friend called Bumrungrad directly and, although I live relatively close to Bumrungrad, I was still pleased to note that the ambulance arrived in around 20 mins. It arrived with two nurses and a doctor. I had to be given pain killing injections before I could be moved and the doctor consulted with someone at Bumrungrad about this.

What I was surprised about was the cost. It was 3 years ago, and I did have to remain in hospital for 3 days, but the actual cost of the ambulance and emergency care was less than 2000 baht.

I carry a Bumrungrad card and have the emergency number on it.

Obviously this is only any good in and around BKK.