I Did Meet Thaksin In Brunei But We Didn't Talk Politics: Banharn

webfact

I did meet Thaksin in Brunei but we didn't talk politics: Banharn

By The Nation

Chart Thai Pattana Party heavyweight Banharn Silapa-archa admitted yesterday he had met fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra briefly in Brunei.

Banharn, a former prime minister who once led the party when it was known as Chart Thai, said he met Thaksin for a little over an hour when he was in Brunei to examine white tigers to be brought to a zoo in his home province of Suphan Buri.

"I met him for about an hour before we had a meal together. We exchanged greetings and the former prime minister gave me a warm welcome. He smiled and seemed to be happy. But we did not talk politics," Banharn said.

"When he was in Dubai, it was too far. It was a seven-hour flight [from Thailand]. But Brunei is just a two-hour flight away. I happened to be in Brunei at that time to examine white tigers," he said.

Banharn said Thaksin had told him he expected Pheu Thai to win as many as 320 out of the 500 House seats up for grabs in the election. "I was shocked and told him if Pheu Thai won 320, there would be nothing much left for other political parties."

The veteran politician also said Thaksin asked him to take care of Thaksin's younger sister and prime minister-elect Yingluck. He responded that many Pheu Thai people were already taking a good care of her.

Banharn denied he tried to negotiate for coveted Cabinet seats for his party during his meeting with Thaksin.

Meanwhile, Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra, who is expected to become the next prime minister after her Pheu Thai Party won the July 3 general election, declined to comment yesterday on who should be the next speaker in the House of Representatives. She said only that the new speaker and two deputies were all expected to come from Pheu Thai.

Yingluck also said that she had talked to Thaksin but insisted it was just a talk between siblings - and he had not give her political advice.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-12

So....errrrrm....what's the weather like in Thailand nowadays? Well......errrrrm....it's been quite warm lately. More fois gras? Errrrrm.....just a small piece! ;)

Edited by thaiphoon
Formatting errors removed

(quote)

Banharn said Thaksin had told him he expected Pheu Thai to win as many as 320 out of the 500 House seats up for grabs in the election. "I was shocked and told him if Pheu Thai won 320, there would be nothing much left for other political parties."

The veteran politician also said Thaksin asked him to take care of Thaksin's younger sister and prime minister-elect Yingluck. He responded that many Pheu Thai people were already taking a good care of her.

Never talked politics, are these people really the brightest in the land?

(quote)

Of course not.

The real Best and Brightest won't go into politics because it means they must work with the likes of these guys. And risk not just ruined reputations but actual death or injury. A zero sum game for most. Only megalomaniacs, greedy fools, pawns or sycophants need apply

Edited by animatic

(quote)

That's really not talking politics. That's general chit chat. Two former PMS getting together over a meal.A discussion of politics would have been a discussion of policies. The gentleman was honest in stating that he met with Mr. Thaksin. He was not the first to have met with the former PM. I wonder if the foreigners screaming in the forums about Mr. Thaksin understand who traveled to meet Mr. Thaksin. I strongly suggest a reading of some foreign newspapers to see just who was sending emissaries. It's no big secret if one digs.

Yes, I know that there will be some that will revert to the tired refrain of,"but Thaksin's a fugitive etc". That doesn't seem to be a concern for those that discreetly met with him or sent their representatives. Perhaps some of the foreigners so distraught over the meeting should go and complain to the EC, or lay a charge of aiding and abetting a "fugitive". I'd like to see someone try and ban the Chart Thai because of the meeting.

(quote)

That's really not talking politics. That's general chit chat. Two former PMS getting together over a meal.A discussion of politics would have been a discussion of policies. The gentleman was honest in stating that he met with Mr. Thaksin. He was not the first to have met with the former PM. I wonder if the foreigners screaming in the forums about Mr. Thaksin understand who traveled to meet Mr. Thaksin. I strongly suggest a reading of some foreign newspapers to see just who was sending emissaries. It's no big secret if one digs.

Yes, I know that there will be some that will revert to the tired refrain of,"but Thaksin's a fugitive etc". That doesn't seem to be a concern for those that discreetly met with him or sent their representatives. Perhaps some of the foreigners so distraught over the meeting should go and complain to the EC, or lay a charge of aiding and abetting a "fugitive". I'd like to see someone try and ban the Chart Thai because of the meeting.

give me a break?

is there any lengths you won't go to , to defend these people?

(quote)

I don’t think you have read many of my other post, I have always supported the majority vote, I am not bias to Taksin or indeed pro Taksin

But these are idiot headlines and only a bias person would deny that fact

Lets support whoever we so wish, I support none personally, but a foolish statement will always be a foolish statement

Anyone who honestly thinks that they didn't talk politics ... obviously isn't really thinking.

And, what does it matter anyway. They're both banned from politics, so have no say in anything. :whistling:

Edited by whybother

(quote)

You know what I wouldn't put it past someone to call for the banning of Chart Thai but I would guess that as Banharm is alrrady disqualified then that's a get out.

As for not believing that politics were not discussed are you really that naive? What I for one am irritated at is the constant contempt politicians of all persuasions obvioisly hold the electorates in.

I would also like to add that although I am no lover of Taksin and PT. It is obvious from the majority they have achieved that they should be allowed to govern as the electorate seem to have wish them to.

It is obvious from the majority they have achieved that they should be allowed to govern as the electorate seem to have wish them to.

But, if they achieved the majority illegally, should they be allowed to govern?

That's really not talking politics. That's general chit chat. Two former PMS getting together over a meal.A discussion of politics would have been a discussion of policies. The gentleman was honest in stating that he met with Mr. Thaksin. He was not the first to have met with the former PM.

:lol: De Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, is it ? :rolleyes:

Also interesting is Thaksin's view, that he was going to get 320 seats, rather than the 265 which PTP & Ms Yingluck did very well to manage.

Makes one wonder just what information DL receives, and from whom, and whether they might possibly have ulterior-motives for feeding him such a distorted view of what's really going-on ? Say anything to keep the stipends flowing ! Is that so very unlikely ? <_<

Meanwhile the 'eel' does anything & works with anyone, to keep his hoofs in the trough, just the sort of politician the Reds hope & promise will fade away, but keeps on like a very bad dream. Yay for True-Democracy ! B)

It's also a lovely subtle little put-down, that Banharn implies Thaksin made a several-hour flight to meet with him, while he himself only did a couple of hours, now which one was the more-important or the more-desperate, would that imply ? :whistling:

Edited by Ricardo

It is obvious from the majority they have achieved that they should be allowed to govern as the electorate seem to have wish them to.

No they shouldn't but I would wager an awful lot that not one of the parties in Thailand did not take part in dubious practices that can lead to disbanding.

They didn't talk politics and then he goes on to say how they chatted about how many seats would be won.

How do you know a politician is lying?

Their lips move!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::welcomeani::cheesy:--unbelievable Ha Ha AND he happened to be in Brunei, and happened to meet him BY CHANCE maybe at a dinner=coincidence ????

Yingluck states she had been in touch but it was just brother and sister talk==NO POLITICS :cheesy::cheesy:

You have to laugh or you would cry, even if you are a PTP follower (if your honest with yourself I mean)

No they shouldn't but I would wager an awful lot that not one of the parties in Thailand did not take part in dubious practices that can lead to disbanding.

There were quite a few complaints lodged against individual elected MPs, so there could be quite a few banned.

But did anyone lodge complaints against the executive of any other party besides PTP?

So the courts, at this stage, can only find the executives of one party guilty which will lead to disbanding.

Banharn's party underperformed very badly and he even lost a seat in Suphanburi. Now he has to pull out all stops to stop his political legacy unravelling. Everyone knows they talked politics and everyone knows the tourism minister is currently from CTP but that PC want that ministership and are talking like they already have it. Banharn is desperately trying to make his position of political weakness look like a stronger one by negotiating more ministries than his parties small number of seats is worth. Of course they arent going to come out and say they were discussing such things as that could result in a disolution or two. Realpolitik is obvious and there isnt anyone on the country who cant see this one.

Oh and I am not saying it is a bad thing. Coming to terms with realities is something the country needs and this electoral victory is Thaksins victory. It wouldnt have happened without him, and if someone undoes it he will also win the next round, which is why agreements are better than more confrontation that just sees Thaksin's star rise ever higher. Banharn knows this

They didn't talk politics and then he goes on to say how they chatted about how many seats would be won.

How do you know a politician is lying?

Their lips move!

Banharn, a former prime minister who once led the party when it was known as Chart Thai, said he met Thaksin for a little over an hour when he was in Brunei to examine white tigers to be brought to a zoo in his home province of Suphan Buri.

Guess somebody had forgotten to bring the monkey back in its cage................:jap:

Biased comment: No open mind or respect for others opinion

I find it curious that all of you claim politics were discussed. Considering the fact that none of you were there, how do you know that politics were discussed? Has it occurred to anyone, that there were no political policies to discuss? They had a good idea of what was going to happen, but they like everyone else had to wait for the results of the election to be announced. When business people go out on the golf course for a game of golf, do you really think they are talking business? It's more about relationship building. The meeting was to rebuild a relationship and to lay the foundation for the time when actual politics could be discussed. Was it an appropriate meeting? No. That is where you should focus.

Is it any different than when several senior ranking Chinese politicians were sent to Coventry in China that politburo members regularly visited them to seek advice and counsel? When Richard Nixon was personna non grata in public life many senior politicans still sought him out for advice and counsel. I am not trying to deny that a political discussion was held because I am a fan of Mr. Thaksin. Rather I recognize the reality that non political issues most likely had a priority. The political discussions would come later. For a politician to make public that he met with Mr. Thaksin is an attempt to send a message. A message that he is close to a key player in the inner circle. For all anyone knows, Mr. Thaksin could have rebuffed the gntleman's poliitical overtures. The ppolitical discussions that were needed were held starting 2 years ago. Again, I refer you to the meetings that were held, including with some people assumed to be backers of the Abhisit government.