Vip Bus Service (Phuket-Pattaya)

Nutcracker

My wife and I used the direct air-con bus service between Phuket and Pattaya both ways last week. The fares were 1,131 baht for the luxury seats downstairs (6 only) and 848 Baht for almost as good seats upstairs (36 seats). From Phuket Town, the bus leaves every evening at 6pm and ours took just over 12 hours to get to Pattaya Nua a few minutes walk away from the main bus station. Baht buses will take you into town along Beach Road for 10 Baht or a short walk back up to Sukhumvit Road will give you baht bus options going north and south. Avoid the transport options being pushed in your face at the main bus station. These are for tourists and the otherwise ignorant. From Pattaya, the bus leaves at 6pm every evening from Pattaya Nua and the journey back took 14 plus hours. This longer journey time was because the bus does a reverse loop through Pattaya rush hour traffic to make a pick up at Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit Road (25 minutes wasted going the opposite way from Phuket!) and then a further 30 stops throughout the journey picking up and dropping off passengers and freight. There is one break stop (20 minutes) about halfway for passengers and a meal was served. A bottle of water and a couple of sponge cakes were dealt out on the bus. There was music and a movie early on in the trip both ways. All things considered, it was a great way to go. Very relaxing and representing a big savings. Read basic facts here http://www.phuket-pattaya.com/english.html.

26 hours of travel to save what, 6,000thb?

Not my style, but to each their own.

Fortunately ,a lot of us are not grumpy old men

Your logic being that those who are not grumpyoldmen like to ride on a bus for 26 hours?

Backpacker days where I was concerned with saving money over travel speed is far behind me.................

Vip Bus Service here is very good, I enjoy it + in my 60's...

I do the 90 day boarder run BKK to Ranong, much the best is by VIP bus, booked again for the 26th, OK used to drive down, but last couple of years the VIP Bus is very relaxing, other options ? fly somewhere ? hours to get to the airport, parking fees, sit and wait for flight, by bus I am 1/2 way there, fly would still be at the airport.. by plane is difficult to fit into those little seats with no room for my long legs. + at other end you have to get buses or taxis and all that hassle at any airport..

As for 'Backpacker days' no these use the 1st, 2nd or 3 class bus or even cheaper local buses. VIP Bus recline the armchair type seat right back and sleep

Your logic being that those who are not grumpyoldmen like to ride on a bus for 26 hours?

Backpacker days where I was concerned with saving money over travel speed is far behind me.................

Sorry, you did not get the joke . never mind. But where did you get the 26 hour bit?The o/p/ said 14hours.Their website confirms that.Importantly , for me , is that never in a month of Sundays would I go to Phuket or for that matter Pattaya,anyway.I don't enjoy flying over land, much prefer land transport. ,especially rail, where I can enjoy a sleeper.

Sorry, you did not get the joke . never mind. But where did you get the 26 hour bit?The o/p/ said 14hours.Their website confirms that.Importantly , for me , is that never in a month of Sundays would I go to Phuket or for that matter Pattaya,anyway.I don't enjoy flying over land, much prefer land transport. ,especially rail, where I can enjoy a sleeper.

OP states 12 there 14 hours back.

Sharp as a marble afarang!

I worked out it would cost about 3,500 baht return bangkok - phuket with airasia. Allow 200 baht x 2 by bells service airport to pattya and say taxi 600 baht x 2 phuket airport to the beaches. And add on 3 hours pattaya to airport and say 1 hours phuket airport to beaches x 2. Means cost approx 5,100 baht and 10 hours time (include 1 hour flying each way) as opposed to 26 hours plus say 1 hour phuket town to beaches x 2 and and 2,300 baht. So basically is 2,800 baht saving worth the extra 18 hours travel time. I think not.

For me anyway it is nothing to do with the costs, or the time it takes...... VIP big bus = hassle free, you get on relax and get off at your destination, and the comfort.

Was going to try the sleeper train to Malaysia, well maybe next time, as still 590 baht for a big room at a 4* Spar Hotel in Ranong which I enjoy staying at.

Edited by ignis

Sharp as 5 marbles ,actually . Which was my maximum yield of spuds,55555555. Normally ALL travel times and fares are listed for one way. If you wish to use return, then it is always quoted as return. That is you state it is a return fare or return times, which you did not.Be a brain ,travel by train. Be a PAIN, travel by plane.Many of us do not wish to fly overland. Sorry ,you did not pick that up. Much prefer land transport to air.With all the nonsense of getting to an airport, 2-3 hours before departure-extremely boring places airports,suffered enough over the years,. No more , thank you.

Sharp as 5 marbles ,actually . Which was my maximum yield of spuds,55555555. Normally ALL travel times and fares are listed for one way. If you wish to use return, then it is always quoted as return. That is you state it is a return fare or return times, which you did not.Be a brain ,travel by train. Be a PAIN, travel by plane.Many of us do not wish to fly overland. Sorry ,you did not pick that up. Much prefer land transport to air.With all the nonsense of getting to an airport, 2-3 hours before departure-extremely boring places airports,suffered enough over the years,. No more , thank you.

As I initially said, to each their own.

Having been a pilot, I assure you flying overland is safer and faster than your ground routes. You don't care about safety of reaching your destination nor time involved...arai goddai.

"Boring" is subjective, I have met many a fair lass in airport lounges. Cheers, GOM

^ thanks; yes it is useful, but as usual there has to be a 'spoiler' here on every thread.

I used VIP often to travel Phuket-Bangkok overnight, from there on gov't bus to Sa Kaeo, best time was just under 22hrs from leaving home in Phuket to arriving at the farm - a lot of waiting time involved between buses, can't be avoided .

No complaints

Having been a pilot, I assure you flying overland is safer and faster than your ground routes. You don't care about safety of reaching your destination nor time involved...arai goddai.

"Boring" is subjective, I have met many a fair lass in airport lounges. Cheers, GOM

I agree ,flying is very safe, BUT, I have had enough of airports and the stupid security. What a stupid comment. About reaching your destination,Enjoy displaying a certain lack of intellect?. Yes, flying is awfully boring. I have much more fun , especially on long distance trains

What a stupid comment.

Get over yourself, everyone is allowed an opinion.

WOW!!!!! What a bunch of squabbaling and a few 'Hi-so' opinions of the 'rich farangs' who would rather spend all their money so free-ly and fly................... UP TO YOU...... But it looks to me like somebody took a little bit of their time to try to do a kind thing by enlightening others of a potentially rewarding experience. If it's not your cup of tea, read another thread and leave this one to those that may have a genuine interest............ SORRY LADIES, I just had to let you know my thoughts............

WOW!!!!! What a bunch of squabbaling and a few 'Hi-so' opinions of the 'rich farangs' who would rather spend all their money so free-ly and fly...................

Not rich nor a "hi-so", but my time is money so a 16 hour RT on a bus is not on the docket thus my continually saying to each their own. Air Asia to BKK and a taxi seems a better route to me, IF, I were to want to go to Pattaya (which I don't).

Now, if you care to be a moderator, contact George................

just under 1,000 kms from pattaya to phuket now i have drove in my car this trip and you have to go some speed to do it in 12 hours with 1 break,you be doing like 120 to 140 kph speeds high speeds on a tall bus i will stick to my car

to do the trip return trip in my car 2,000 baht runs on LPG.

WOW!!!!! What a bunch of squabbaling and a few 'Hi-so' opinions of the 'rich farangs' who would rather spend all their money so free-ly and fly...................

Not rich nor a "hi-so", but my time is money so a 16 hour RT on a bus is not on the docket thus my continually saying to each their own. Air Asia to BKK and a taxi seems a better route to me, IF, I were to want to go to Pattaya (which I don't).

Opinions are like A-holes, (We all have one) You Yours and me Mine...... Now that that is out of the way, this guy was just directing this information to those who might be interested --- Not you Hi-so's with more money than time......

MY REPLY TO THAT COMMENT (BY SAWADEEKEN):If you don't even have interest in going to Pattaya, then your interest on this topic is 'nil', so it just appears you want to spout off as to your valuable "time is money" -- brag all you want, I'm not impressed.............

On the contrary, George does an excellent job and doesn't need any help............

Edited by sawadeeken

especially rail, where I can enjoy a sleeper.

So afarang, I guess you would've slept through the train crash today, BKK-Surat? Good luck with that.

The lead story in an English language newspaper,today, is about 2 ,yes 2 helicopters crashing in Thailand , KILLING 14 people-dead they "is' Is it a fact that helicopters fly? A sprinter NOT a sleeper train had an altercation with a truck ,42 INJURED, NO deaths .Did you sleep through that? Rail travel ,globally is very safe, Air is somewhat safer, agreed, But even in Thailand Rail has an excellent safety record. Selective reporting is not intellectually honest. Nearly as bad as plagiarism.But never mind. Many of us , much prefer rail, it is generally a most rewarding experience. You can see the country,can interact with a broad spectrum of people Cannot do from a plane I leave you with - Be a brain travel by train, be a PAIN, travel by plane.

Edited by afarang

Be a brain travel by train, be a PAIN, travel by plane.

You used that one already.........................good thing I don't have Alzheimers.......................oh yea, I don't have Alzheimers, good thing......

How often does the travelling public use Military helicopters?