Best Dvd To Divx Compressor?

whooliggen

Hey all,

I remember a thread a while back where this topic was covered & people gave their opinions on their choice of Dvd to DivX compression software..Just cant find the thing! :o

I would guess though that this technology is moving on pretty sharpish, so any opinions from Dvd to DivX compression software users would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Looking at buying the new creative media player & so want to start compressing my collection. Can i play DivX files on my nokia 6260?

Cheers,

W.

For my PDA (and I'm not sure if this would work on your phone, but probably), I use a 2 step process:

1. Use DVD Decrypter to unlock the suckers and rip to disk. Nice, straightforward program, only takes a few minutes.

2. Use Auto Gordian Knot to encode the decrypted file to DivX. This is a quick and dirty solution, but nice because basically you just tell it the preferred file size of the end product (which will be governed by your storage card, note that this option gives better quality pictures than just setting a percentage quality, as it does 2-pass processing), and use the advanced settings to the resolution of your phone display. It will make a file to match. Just play around with the file size until you find a quality/size trade off that you are happy with.

The hassle is that even with 1 gig of RAM and a 2.6 Ghz processor it still takes a few hours to grind through all the processing, so its something you want to do overnight. Having a movie on hand is ###### cool though...especially when stuck in the traffic or on a plane.

Edited by Crushdepth

fairuse wizard

www.fairusewizard.com

The free version will allow you to create 700meg xvid files - the pay version , at only 10 euros , is my choice.

if you wish to play them back on a windows mobile device or palm device - TCPMP ( aka betaplayer ) is the one - and free

Avoid DivX. It's propietary and the user-download is riddled with adware.

Go for the better and free Xvid-codec - the de facto scene-standard since 2 years.

For compression, use XMPEG. It can compress to VCD, SVCD and every other compression-codec you have installed. And it's fast - used for benchmarking.

Go for the better and free Xvid-codec - the de facto scene-standard since 2 years.

For compression, use XMPEG. It can compress to VCD, SVCD and every other compression-codec you have installed. And it's fast - used for benchmarking.

Can you recommend a stable, reliable Windows XP Pro binary? Is GordianKnot an XviD binary? This is very confusing.

Edited by lomatopo

If you download Auto Gordian Knot, you usually get Xvid (Which is free) with it.

H.264 is supposed to produce better quality than Xvid or Divx though, but I don't think there's a free H.264 encoder yet. Personally, I use Xvid. (Xvid/Divx/H.264 are codecs - ie they "only" do the encoding / decoding of a video stream. Gordian Knot is simply a collection of other programs like virtualdub which handle the other work. Auto Gordian Knot (autogk) - simply batches that all together so that you can set a couple of settings, add paths to a batch of DVDs you've already copied to your hard drive (DVD Decrypter), and leave it running until it's done them all.

One thing to remember with DVD Decrypter - turn off automatic updates - the writer was basically forced to stop working on it and hand over the domain that the software is checking for updates on by legal action. . i.e. If you leave automatic updates on - you're simply passing your IP address to the copyright police. (Not a big problem if you're in Thailand admittedly, but better not to give them the information anyway).

On the question of a Palm PDA that could play movies - I know the Sony Clie's could, but I don't know if any are still being sold outside of Japan. (The pspvideo9 software which you can use to take an existing video file, and convert to watch on a Sony PSP (or Apple's new video iPod) was initially developed to put movies onto the Clie...

One thing - if your final intention is to put the file onto something even smaller - like a PSP or Clie, you'll want to make sure that you set 128Kbps MP3 as your audio setting for autogk - as anything below that, and I've heard that AutoGK can sometimes go out of sync - but you'll want an MP3 format file for the later processing by further software like pspvideo9 (i.e. I tend to do Xvid at 75% quality/128K stereo MP3 from the source DVD files, then down to 384kbps variable bit rate (2-pass) encoding with 64kbps stereo MP3 at 368x208 resolution for watching on my PSP.)

Edited by bkk_mike

hi'

xvid ... which one :o the one that stick a fourCC264 so even divx player can't play it? :D

yes, Divx is proprietary and so what, files go out with the .divx ext, change it to avi and there you are, beside the version 6 deliver a much lighter file than any encoder and can be read on any mpeg4 home-reader :D

xvid is ok, I don't say opposite, just re-established some truth :D

francois

ps; if I choose to encode with mpeg4, I quite always do it with the internal xvid codec ... and then re-encode them with Divx 6 :D to get 30% off :D

• 3 weeks later...

lomatopo

on the vcds you will see a folder mpegav ( from memory I think that is what it is called ) and inside it will be a .dat file ( or files ) . these files are actually MPEG1 files and are the movie , all the other stuff on the vcd is just anncilliary and not required , copy the dat file to the hard drive and rename it .mpeg . I am not sure it is worth converting to MPEG4 ( divx or xvid ) as MPEG1 is not the greatest of quality to begin with

stumonster Thanks. :o

A few follow-on questions...Do locally available legitimate DVDs of English-launguage movies always have an English sound track? And an additional Thai soundtrack? How about Thai movies? Are there English sub-titles available on the DVD? Sometimes it is hard to tell from the package.