Uk Affirmation To Marry Thai Document ? Questions ?

Good Day

I hope someone can help me and give me a few pointers regarding my queries below

1. Firstly i need the affirmation to marry document link ? , also am i correct in saying this needs to be translated into thai ?

2. Do i have to get this certified in bangkok ?

3. Do we both need to stay in Bangkok for x number of days to register our marrige ?

4. What other documents do i require i assume , birth cert , passport , anything else ?

5. What documents does my gf require to register our marrige ?

6. Fees ?

7. Local amphur for udon thani ?

8. Anything else i need to know ?

Thanks

1. Firstly i need the affirmation to marry document link ? , also am i correct in saying this needs to be translated into thai ?

sorry dont know, but google ''uk embassy, bangkok'' then search for affirmation

2. Do i have to get this certified in bangkok ?

yes, at the ministry oif foreign affairs - if you are in a hurry go yourslelf - if not then the translation company ( on ploenchit road ) can do this for you - ready 2 days later

3. Do we both need to stay in Bangkok for x number of days to register our marrige ?

No, i got married at the ampur in my home town, in thailand. you can register it in bangkok. see link at bottom

4. What other documents do i require i assume , birth cert , passport , anything else ?

for affiramtion - just your passport, or a divorce paper if you have married, and a birth certificate - with copies

5. What documents does my gf require to register our marrige ?

if she has not married before, passport, - if she has one, id card. tabieen - she may not need these but best to bring them - ( i am a bot drubk so cant think )

6. Fees ?

between 2-3000 for affirmation - go before 11 and collect in afternoon

7. Local amphur for udon thani ?

pass

8. Anything else i need to know ?

if you can wait , and you dont like queues ask the translation company over the road from the embassy to go for you. apart from the mfa thai government offices are very quick. will your wife change her name to yours? if so, change the id card first then the passport - but do this in bangkok - very quick. oh and taxis are very slow. and the sky train will be quicker

BTSMap

http://www.bts.co.th.../Route_BTS.html

1Affirmation

14wireless road, Lumpini, Pathum Wan, Bangkok, tel +66 2 3058333 BTS Ploen Chit

Location- http://www.into-asia...s/ploenchit.php

Youhave to print this out and apply in person to the British Embassy inWireless Road. Payment currently is 2750 Baht. cash

Weaccept affirmations during normal consular public hours on Monday toThursday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at 13:00 - 14:00hours, and on Friday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at11:00 - 12:00 noon. An appointment for this service is not necessary.The affirmation which is submitted before 11:00 hrs will be ready forcollection in the afternoon.)

2.Collectingthe affirmation: .

Wehad it translated in the shopping centre across the road and cost 300Baht. It is very important to get your partner who knows Thai tocheck the spellings and wordings that is translated in Thai. THis isimportant as it will appear later in your marriage application atAmphur.

Igot my affirmation of freedom to marry form translated (Along with mywife's birth certificate) for 300 Bt each. This was done at the smallmall almost directly opposite the British Embassy. Wave place Ibelieve it's called. There were 2 translation companies operatingthere on the second floor (small units side by side). I usedPloenchit Translation Center. So, as soon as you have youraffirmation to marry, you may as well just pop over the road and getit translated there and then

3Get the translation legalised.

theMinistry of Foreign Affairs (The Legalisation Division

Departmentof Consular Affairs

Ministryof Foreign Affairs

123Chaeng Wattana Road,

LaksiDistrict, Bangkok 10210

Thebest and quickest way is to use the skytrain (BTS). The neareststation is situated opposite the British Embassy , Phloen Chitstation and it cost 40 bht per person to Mo Chit ( 16 mins). Fromthere take exit 3 or 4 and get on a taxi to the Ministry. If there isno traffic, it will take about half an hour. Cost: less than 100 BHT.If

Goup to the 2nd floor. Remember to get a ticket from the ticketingmachine and at the same time, a form from the enquiry desk. You willneed the express service to get the affirmation legalised in a day.Wait your number, and then present the translated version, theBritish Embassy Affirmation , a copy of your passport and the filledform from the enquiry desk. Payment: 800 Baht. Take a seat and waitfor your receipt ( you need this to pick up your document later). Ifyou manage this before 12 noon, go for lunch in the canteen. Thestaff goes for lunch between 12 noon and 1 pm. They will ask you toreturn at 2pm for collection.If you arrive very early in the morning,it is very likely you will get it before lunch. If you need furtherlegalisation of any documents, it has to be done here. Thus organisethis and do it all in one trip. Our documents was legalised within 2hours when we came early. Otherwise it can be 3 hours.

Thereis a translator at MFA in bookshop

3.Going to Amphur to get marry.

ForThai national: They need 2 copies of their ID card, and house log.

Forthe foreigner: a copy of their passport, entry visa( must be validand not expired), affirmation letter in Thai and English( stamped bythe Embassy)

Edited by kunash

longer link

getting married in bangkok

Dear All,

I have virtually just return from Bangkok.I hope my personal experience will be of help to all who are planning to get marry in Bangkok. We have just got married and about to apply for a visa. I am a British national and my husband is Thai.

1. to get the affirmation. Print out the suggested wordings on the British Embassy website : http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/resources/e...ffirmation-form

Please follow the wordings, word for word and replaces names etc as necessary. The wordings in the document , as I was told is what the British Embassy have in agreement with the Thai government. Thus if the wordings are different, it will not be affirmed. You have to print this out and apply in person to the British Embassy in Wireless Road. No matter how much of a hurry you are in, you can only collect this the very next day. Payment currently is 2750 Baht. ( Due to the weak pound) This was paid with cash but I believe you may pay with a credit card.

(We accept affirmations during normal consular public hours on Monday to Thursday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at 13:00 - 14:00 hours, and on Friday at 08:00 - 11:00 hours and collections only at 11:00 - 12:00 noon. An appointment for this service is not necessary. The affirmation which is submitted before 11:00 hrs will be ready for collection in the afternoon.)

My greatest mistake: make sure if you are planning to marry, to enter Thailand with the passport you intend to get your affirmation from. I am of dual nationality and enter on a different passport. I did not think this was the problem but it started when we tried to get married at Amphur where they check the passport and entry stamped! This lead to further certification and more cost to prove that I am of the same person even when I have the exact same name on both passports!

Myth: you do not need to be in Thailand for 3 days before being able to affirm.

Truth: Affirmation can only be done when you are in Bangkok and not from England.

2.Collecting the affirmation: straight forward. You can collect from 9 am the next day. We have it translated in the shopping centre across the road and cost 300 Baht. It is very important to get your partner who knows Thai to check the spellings and wordings that is translated in Thai. THis is important as it will appear later in your marriage application at Amphur.

I got my affirmation of freedom to marry form translated (Along with my wife's birth certificate) for 300 Bt each. This was done at the small mall almost directly opposite the British Embassy. Wave place I believe it's called. There were 2 translation companies operating there on the second floor (small units side by side). I used Ploenchit Translation Center. So, as soon as you have your affirmation to marry, you may as well just pop over the road and get it translated there and then

You do not need an official translator to translate the document. You can translate it yourself.However we found it was convenient and not too expensive and it saves us time.

The next step is to get the translation legalised.

I am thankful to "Mario2008" on the website who suggests the quickest way to

the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (The Legalisation Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

123 Chaeng Wattana Road,

Laksi District, Bangkok 10210

The best and quickest way is to use the skytrain (BTS). The nearest station is situated opposite the British Embassy , Phloen Chit station and it cost 40 bht per person to Mo Chit ( 16 mins). From there take exit 3 or 4 and get on a taxi to the Ministry. If there is no traffic, it will take about half an hour. Cost: less than 100 BHT. If you decide to take a taxi, this can be a couple of hours depending on traffic and can cost 200-400 BHT.

Go up to the 2nd floor. Remember to get a ticket from the ticketing machine and at the same time, a form from the enquiry desk. You will need the express service to get the affirmation legalised in a day. Wait your number, and then present the translated version, the British Embassy Affirmation , a copy of your passport and the filled form from the enquiry desk. Payment: 800 Baht. Take a seat and wait for your receipt ( you need this to pick up your document later). If you manage this before 12 noon, go for lunch in the canteen. The staff goes for lunch between 12 noon and 1 pm. They will ask you to return at 2pm for collection.If you arrive very early in the morning, it is very likely you will get it before lunch. If you need further legalisation of any documents, it has to be done here. Thus organise this and do it all in one trip. Our documents was legalised within 2 hours when we came early. Otherwise it can be 3 hours.

3. Going to Amphur to get marry. I was told by the senior person who signs the marriage certificates, that lots of the Amphurs in Bangkok are very reluctant to marry foreigner and Thai as the complexity of checking documentations. Thus lots of the marriages are taking place in Bang Rak ( Translated: District of love). They are very helpful.The most important thing is to get your documents in order and complete set of necessary documents.

For Thai national: They need 2 copies of their ID card, and house log.

For the foreigner: a copy of their passport, entry visa( must be valid and not expired), affirmation letter in Thai and English( stamped by the Embassy)

You need 2 witnesses, however someone at the office can normally stand in if necessary.

Although the office officially closes at 4pm, do arrive early as on the day we got married, there was 15 couples waiting by 3pm and they have to turn people away. It takes up to 40 mins to 1 hour to marry a foreigner/Thai as they need to check the documentation thoroughly.They will also need to hand type whatever statement on your affirmation letter on to the marriage documentation.This takes time.For a Thai couple, all their documentation are in the computer system thus they are quicker to be dealth with. We were the last couple that day and we waited till 17.30pm! The poor officer did not even have lunch that day.The payment is 40 Baht for the marriage certificate, you can also buy a special folder to put your certificate in for 450 Baht.It is not cumpulsory but we like it. There is also a rickshaw in the office for you to take pictures! It is nicely set up.While we were there, there was a foreign/thai couple where one of them has been divorced.It is necessary to bring the original official divorce document.If not , the woman will need to have pregnancy test to prove she is not pregnant.This is to avoid the complication as to whom the father of the child is, as I was told. If the woman is pregnant it is very likely the marriage will not be registered that day( if the official divorce papers are unavailable).You have to be divorced for 310 days before being able to get marry again.

4. We are at the stage of applying for a spouse visa.The other necessity is to get a TB test, as he is going to be in the UK longer than 6 months. The test is necessary even though he has been in the UK previously on work permit for years and have been registered under the NHS.

The TB test is straigtforward. You need to go to :-

International Organisation for Migration (IOM) :

Kasemkij Building

8th Floor, 120 Silom Road

Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Tel: +66 2 234 7950-5

Fax: + 66 2 234 7956

Email: [email protected]

Attendance is by appointment only and the full test fee of 2600 Baht must be paid in advance.

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/tb.aspx

Required Documents:1) Original passport, and a copy of the passport;

2) Original ID card and copy of the ID card;

For children from 11 – 15 years, original birth certificate and copy;

3) Two 1.5"× 2" size photos (not older than 6 months);

4) Ante-Natal Care Book for pregnant women.

What you need to do is to pay the fees at IOM, then you are given 2 choices of Hospitals to go to: Phayathai2 or Bangrungrat Hospital. At the hospital, they will take a chest x-ray and in 15 mins, you will get the radiological report. You will then have to take this back to the IOM and a certificate will be issued. This should take you only a couple of hours. We did it in a morning. No sputum test necessary unless if the chest x-ray shown otherwise.

Our next step is to apply for the visa which he will be doing in the coming week. Up to this point, we have not use an agency. The process is straigtforward as long as you are willing to do all the legwork.We believe it is a test of our teamwork to a marriage.

I hope the above information is helpful to all those people out there who wishes to get married in Bangkok. Thank you to all who have help me previously.Good luck to all who are about to go through this!

ao

EDIT: to make it easier to read, I have deleted the copy of the previous post. No ned to qoute that.

Mario2008.

You can get married at any amphur in Thailand.

1. Fill in the letter from your embassy and provide the documents they need. The embassy will sign the documents. If you have been married before, you need the divorce papers.

2. Next you have the affirmation letter translated into Thai, (about 300 to 400 baht at a translaton agency)

3. have the letter and translation certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry, Consular Section. (400 baht for normal service, 800 baht for express service)

4. Go to any amphur in Thailand and get married. Ask for the khor rhor 2 form als (the entry into the wedding register, you need this for immirgation). Also keep a copy of the embassy letter for immirgation, they may ask for it)

5. You Thai wife simply neds her ID-card and maybe household registration book. if she was married before, she needs to bring he diforce certificate.

Congratulations.

Thanks everyone for your quick and detailed responce :)

I have another two questions , 1. my fiance has been married before and is now officially divorced , do i need to provide this divorce certificate along with the affirmation to marry ? Translated to english ?

2. I take it we both have to provide our documents to the embassy in bangkok to register along with this affirmation to marry ? so we both need to attend in person ?

Sorry if ive missed something in your previous posts but it all seems a bit confusing :( and i was working nightshift last night which doesnt help.

but thanks for helping

Is this the correct form ?

If so it asks for my thai marrige certificate ? so that implies i have to marry at a local office first ?

Dear Sir,

This is to require you, under Article 7(i) of the Foreign Marriage Order 1970, to forward for

recording at the General Register Office, England / Scotland / Northern Ireland, the

particulars of my marriage to (spouse)……………………………………………………….…………

on .....………………………..……........... at ........................................................................ as

evidence of this.

I declare that I have / have not * previously been married.

I declare that my wife has / has not * been previously married.

I attach the original of my Thai Marriage Certificate, together with a sworn translation of the same.

I have paid the Consular fee of £37 and understand that I shall be able to obtain certified copies of

the registration on payment of the appropriate fee to the General Register Office, UK.

Any communication should be addressed to me at ........................................................................

...............................................................……………………………………..……………..…………

and my telephone number is ......................................

Yours faithfully,

Signature : .........……………....................

Mr / Mrs .........……………....................

IN BLOCK

Date: ....................................

* Delete as appropriate

We're going through the process of preparing my wifes settlement application and pretty much up the same point as Kunash. I've been keeping a blog about the process from marriage, English test & TB test so far. May be of help to some:-

http://farangeye.blogspot.com/

Regards

hi just read your blog and its very good , i also sent you a pm regarding further info

Is this the correct form ?

No.

That is the form to request that a copy of your Thai marriage certificate be deposited with the General Records Office in the UK. Something which is not compulsory and serves no useful purpose other than having a copy available to you in the UK should you want one at some time in the future. Most don't bother with this and simply keep the original safe.

The affirmation of freedom to marry form you need, plus all the details of the procedure, can be found at Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand.

This is a requirement of Thai law for foreigners marrying in Thailand. There is no need for your fiance to attend the embassy with you; though she should, I think, present her divorce papers at the ampur when you register the marriage.

Your GF just gives her ID card and divorce certificate to the amphur and that is it for her side. The amphur has all her details, including about her divorce already.

The letter from the embassy is only about you, but bring a copy of her IDcard for her details.

Your GF just gives her ID card and divorce certificate to the amphur and that is it for her side. The amphur has all her details, including about her divorce already.

The letter from the embassy is only about you, but bring a copy of her IDcard for her details.

Thanks Mario , the plan is to meet my fiance in bangkok in mid nov , do affirmation to marry , she does tb test same time , then travel to her home town get hitched , relax couple of days , travel back to bangok submit settlement visa application ,

what do you think ?

Will she be taking your name after you marry? If so she'll need to change her ID card & passport too. Remember the tb test has to have the same name from the passport that she will use to enter the UK.

Also you don't mention the English test. Has she done the test yet? if not you'll have to factor that into your timescale. Took us just over a week to get my wifes certificates sent to her.

Regards

Will she be taking your name after you marry? If so she'll need to change her ID card & passport too. Remember the tb test has to have the same name from the passport that she will use to enter the UK.

Also you don't mention the English test. Has she done the test yet? if not you'll have to factor that into your timescale. Took us just over a week to get my wifes certificates sent to her.

Regards

Hi , Goodpoint these are the potential pitfalls we need to avoid so thanks for your reply.

Yes she will take my name so i take it we can change passport and id card in local office after we marry ?

So its best i think to do the tb test right before we submit the settlement visa , then the names will be right ?

As for the english test , i sent an e-mail to the same company you used and originally the plan was to do the test in the next month or two with her travelling to bangkok with a friend to do it , but if that also needs to be the correct name , maybe we are better to wait until after we marry ?

Cheers

:)

My wife did her English test before we were married so hers has her old family name on the certificate. This won't be a problem because her old passport will be submitted in with the settlement visa application, as well as the name change certificate from when we were married for the embassy to make the connection. I'll draw attention to this in my sponsor letter too

"Yes she will take my name so i take it we can change passport and id card in local office after we marry ? "

The new ID card can be issued by her local amphur but the passport will need to be sent to Bangkok. My wife lives in Phuket so she went to an office in Phuket, paid 1000baht anf her new passport was sent back about a week later.

Your wifes tabien baan will need to be changed to her new name too, again in her home province

The TB and English tests can be in her maiden name; your marriage certificate will provide the link to you. So she can do them before the marriage, if you wish.

She can only change her ID card at the ampur where she is registered, i.e. the one that issued it. She cannot change her passport at an ampur but will need to do so at a passport office; whether the one in Bangkok is the only one or there are regional ones, I don't know. Edit, see post above.

There is no requirement in UK law for a wife to change her name upon marriage. So as far as her UK visa application there is no need for her to change her passport before submitting her visa application; the application can be in her maiden name. Again, the marriage certificate will show the link to you.

I'm not sure, but I think there is also no compulsion under Thai law for a wife to take her husband's surname. My wife changed her ID card when we married, but didn't change her passport until she renewed it at the RTE in London, some 4 years after moving to the UK. For about a year she had a Thai passport in her maiden name and a British passport in her married one!

Remember, though, that when booking tickets the name on her ticket must be the same as the name in her passport.

Edited by 7by7

The TB and English tests can be in her maiden name; your marriage certificate will provide the link to you. So she can do them before the marriage, if you wish.

She can only change her ID card at the ampur where she is registered, i.e. the one that issued it. She cannot change her passport at an ampur but will need to do so at a passport office; whether the one in Bangkok is the only one or there are regional ones, I don't know. Edit, see post above.

There is no requirement in UK law for a wife to change her name upon marriage. So as far as her UK visa application there is no need for her to change her passport before submitting her visa application; the application can be in her maiden name. Again, the marriage certificate will show the link to you.

I'm not sure, but I think there is also no compulsion under Thai law for a wife to take her husband's surname. My wife changed her ID card when we married, but didn't change her passport until she renewed it at the RTE in London, some 4 years after moving to the UK. For about a year she had a Thai passport in her maiden name and a British passport in her married one!

Remember, though, that when booking tickets the name on her ticket must be the same as the name in her passport.

Good this all sounds straight forward and achievable ,

Ok so the settlement visa will basically just be all the documents that were submitted for the tourist visa , plus english test cert , tb cert , marrige cert , anything else ?

Im sure we have enough relationship evidence and with a trip to the UK in the bag already we should stand a good chance for a 2 yr settlement visa ?,

The only concern i have now is we dont have much e-mail history only a bit from the start of the relationship , and the calls to Thailand are now mobile to mobile with lebara ? Landline from UK not used anymore , plus she has different number because couldnt find old sim after trip to UK , will this have an impact on the decision ?

Thanks

Edited by raven0099

I recieved a quote from vantage for the English Test Level A1 , THB 6,950 , seems to have gone up from " Cost of the test was 5600baht " . an increase of 1350baht , i dare say they have seen a good way to make a lot of money out of the falangs , oh well just have to look happy and pay up !

I recieved a quote from vantage for the English Test Level A1 , THB 6,950 , seems to have gone up from " Cost of the test was 5600baht " . an increase of 1350baht , i dare say they have seen a good way to make a lot of money out of the falangs , oh well just have to look happy and pay up !

Given that they are now one of only three on the recently updated list of test providers, it seems inevitable that the price would have to go up sooner or later :(

Given that they are now one of only three on the recently updated list of test providers, it seems inevitable that the price would have to go up sooner or later :(

I know and it seems to be at the time when i have 101 other things to pay for , but nevermind just have to go for it :) , how long did the test take ? and how long is the certificate validated for ?

Cheers

We booked both tests for the same day. The computer test booked for 11.00 and then the speaking test booked at 14.00. However, when we got there my wife was allowed to do both in the first appointment. We were there for roughly an hour, maybe a little more but that included both tests and taking copy of passport, payment etc. Whilst my Mrs did the tests I got chatting to another English guy who was there with his fiance and Kevin too so the time went quickly.

I believe the test is valid for two years

Check out Speak school

http://www.speakschool.co.uk/trinity-college-london/exam-dates.html

We were offered a date in London for £50, and then Preston have just started doing the Test for £75.

Living up near Carlisle, Its worked out better to go to Preston and means no over night stays etc.

the preparation that goes into marriage and Visa's, Its nice that you can seek advice from the forums and 7by7.

Malc